Rodney Promoted To Closer, Jones Demoted

The Gun Of Bavaria

Are You Scared?

I'm Not.

The carousel of carnage continues in the Tigers Bullpen. Jones is out and Rodney is in as Closer. Rodney was a closer once and it was a disaster. Zumaya is still to shaky to close and guess what, possibly injured again. Miner is out and in the rotation.

I Officially concede this season. Dombrowski needs to fix this team in the off season.

Jones will undoubtedly not be invited back for 2009. That leaves the question as to who the closer is, or will be. I would guess that they will go with trial and error the rest of 2008, and if all else fails, either hand the job to Zumaya in 2009, or make a run after Fuentes (sp??) from the Rockies.

What happened with Zumaya ? Is he ever going to be the closer is he going to be another Fidrych ?

Zumaya has been beset by 2 major injuries and there's a "rumor" floating around town that something else is wrong with him after yesterday. Still waiting to see. Zumaya's injuries are starting to add up and he's been out so long, he really hasn't had time to evolve and learn the ropes. He got by in 2006 by throwing smoke but that crap doesn't work anymore. The Tigers have been working with him to use that smoke to his advantage but now that he's tweaked something who knows. A lot of people think they should put him in the rotation so he settles the F down but I dunno. Another major injury and it's time for him to call Fidrych and get a job driving a truck.

Jones will undoubtedly not be invited back for 2009. That leaves the question as to who the closer is, or will be. I would guess that they will go with trial and error the rest of 2008, and if all else fails, either hand the job to Zumaya in 2009, or make a run after Fuentes (sp??) from the Rockies.

I think they were hoping Zumaya would be their guy but it's becoming apparent that at a minimum, he won't be ready, if ever, for 2009. Rodney has closed before and was a mess and was just being shopped around by the Tigers, so there's no confidence there.

I think they make a run at Fuentes or Francisco Rodriguez this off-season. Illitch is good at opening up the pocketbook, but after this year, the future of this team isn't as rock solid as one thought in March. Lots of problems to worry about next year, such as SS with Renteria stinking up the joint, C with Pudge a sure goner, and LF since I'm still not sold on Thames being a full-time guy.

Archived