Hate to rub it in, Pettite likely to miss start

Scott Dierking

A source told the Daily News that Andy Pettitte is dealing with stiffness in his left arm and is likely to miss his next start.

That'd be another blow to a Yankees team that is already intending to start Ian Kennedy on Friday and Dan Giese on Saturday. If Pettitte can't go on Sunday, then Alfredo Aceves could be called up from Triple-A. Darrell Rasner is another possibility.

A source told the Daily News that Andy Pettitte is dealing with stiffness in his left arm and is likely to miss his next start.

That'd be another blow to a Yankees team that is already intending to start Ian Kennedy on Friday and Dan Giese on Saturday. If Pettitte can't go on Sunday, then Alfredo Aceves could be called up from Triple-A. Darrell Rasner is another possibility.

The way he's pitched on his last few outings this might be a good thing for the Yanks. :)

Andy Pettitte will make his next scheduled start despite numerous reports that the left-hander has a tired arm.

Pettitte, who has struggled in each of his last two outings, is slated to start Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Various reports about Pettitte's tired arm began circulating Thursday night prior to New York's 3-0 victory over the Texas Rangers. But Pettitte ended speculation regarding the Yankees' weekend rotation.

"No one has ever discussed missing a start with me," Pettitte told reporters. "I am pitching. I have not discussed missing a start with anybody."

Pettitte, 36, has surrendered 14 runs and 16 hits in just 10 1/3 innings over his last two starts. The southpaw was roughed up seven days ago by the Angels, allowing nine runs and a season-high 11 hits in New York's 12-6 loss at Yankee Stadium.

A 14-year veteran, Pettitte is 12-9 with a 4.34 ERA in 24 starts this season. The two-time All-Star is a crucial member of an injury-ravaged Yankees rotation that is without Chien-Ming Wang, Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes.

http://www.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080808&content_id=1470979&oid=36019&vkey=10

Archived