Jets News 8-14

flgreen

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

August 14, 2008

Brett Favre said yesterday he felt "like a 38-year-old" for the first time since joining the Jets on the practice field.

Citing fatigue in his arm, Favre asked Eric Mangini to limit the number of throws he was to make in the afternoon practice and the Jets coach acquiesced. In the afternoon session, which lasted 2 hours, 18 minutes - the longest workout of camp - the reps were split about evenly between Favre, Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge.

"My arm is dragging a little bit today," Favre said after the morning practice. "It's not really sore, just fatigued."

It makes sense. Favre, for the most part, spent the last couple of months working out on his own or with local high school kids in his hometown of Kiln, Miss. When he put on pads Saturday, his first day practicing with the Jets, it was the first time Favre wore pads since the NFC Championship in January.

"My arm for the most part has felt great, legs a little big fatigued," Favre said. "You gotta figure I'm a little behind these guys [in conditioning]. Like Damien Woody said to me this morning, 'I've been here since the 19th [of July] doing all this stuff.'"

Favre stressed he felt no soreness.

"No pain, but I'm 38 years old," Favre said. "Have to be fatigued a little bit. My arm for the most part has felt great."

And while not feeling his best yesterday, and having some poor throws to show for it, Favre also wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any off-the-field issues on the horizon.

Since his first practice, Favre has been seen chatting up and laughing with Laveranues Coles.

Yesterday Favre went a step further.

Since Chad Pennington was released a week ago today, Coles has not spoken with the media. For some players, that is not so unusual but for Coles, almost always cooperative with the press, it is. Coles was perhaps closer to Pennington than anyone on the team and his silence is believed to be a mini-protest of sorts.

Yesterday Favre wanted to make sure a player expected to one of his top targets this season wasn't taking his presence personally. "I had a little talk with him today," Favre said. "I said, 'I heard you're not talking to the media, and I understand you don't want to say anything good about me.'"

Favre said the two shared a laugh when he said the latter.

"He said, 'No, it's not that,'" Favre said. "I said, 'Hey, I'm not here to take Chad's spot or to replace him. Those two guys had a great rapport together and I just said, 'Look, I'm not trying to replace him. I'm here to help you guys win. I hope you can respect me for that."

Favre said Coles, like the rest of the team, is still in the process of getting to know the Jets new quarterback.

"I think he [Coles] will realize, if he hasn't already, that I'm an easy going guy, I'm easy to work with," Favre said. "If you drop a ball, so what? I throw bad passes. So we're in this thing together and I'd like for us to come out of this thing together."

Notes and quotes: Defensive end Shaun Ellis (broken hand) has not practiced in a week. Mangini said Ellis likely wouldn't play against the Redskins but should make the season-opener. "I'm not sure of the exact timetable, but I don't think it's going to be like leading into the season or anything like that," Mangini said . . . Coles, who appeared to tweak one of his legs at the end of the morning practice, sat out the afternoon session.

Text size: Favre's charisma will help Jets sell PSLs

Shaun Powell

August 14, 2008

The crowd will be larger than usual for a preseason football game this Saturday because there will be something to see. The first glimpse of Brett Favre in a Jets uniform will be enough to convince folks to pay good money for a game that will lose all significance once Favre sits for good in the second quarter.

The bigger question: Will Favre be enough to convince folks to take out a second mortgage next season to see him?

In some ways, Saturday will serve as the initial grand experiment for the Jets as they test the faith of their most passionate fans. As we speak, the Jets still are trying to explain, politely of course, how they plan to shake down season-ticket holders to help cover costs for the new $1.3-billion stadium. If they follow the example of the Giants, their co-tenant, then it will be done through personal seat licenses, a creative and legal and humane method of unarmed robbery. It's not a matter of if this will happen, but when it'll happen and how bad it'll hurt.

Plus, whether the Jets are willing to admit it, Favre will be used as the stickup guy.

They traded for Favre, a big name, to upgrade the quarterback position and give themselves the right to dream of a fairy-tale season. That much is clear. Already, Favre has energized the organization, invited plenty of anticipation for the upcoming season and sold a bunch of jerseys. And he hasn't even played a preseason game yet.

But don't be naive here. The Jets are like any other business, out to make a buck, which is their right. Favre is their ticket to sell tickets in the new stadium, and this process is expected to come with a catch: You must shell out thousands of dollars in fees just for the right to buy tickets that will cost more. Trying to make a profit isn't a crime, but personal seat license fees will seem downright criminal to those compelled to buy them.

These fees aren't new. The Rams introduced them in 1995 when they moved from Anaheim to St. Louis, where the fans were so desperate for football that they opened their wallets. The Raiders, also seizing upon desperation, clobbered Oakland with these fees when they moved from L.A. And now, any time an NFL stadium is built, fees follow. This relatively new revenue stream isn't drying up, mainly because the appetite for football is so powerful and intoxicating that fans will do anything to satisfy their craving.

And that's why, as much as the teams should be embarrassed for their outright greed, the real blame lies with the consumers, or at least those loved by P.T. Barnum.

Although you may not be willing to pay from $1,000 to $20,000 for PSL fees, which is what the Giants are charging next year, three or four of your friends will. Remember, we live in the era of waiting lists for tickets, and the Giants' list stretches to the Fran Tarkenton days, or something like that. For every fan who takes a pass on PSLs, five will follow through. Simple economics here, folks. Supply and demand.

The Jets really don't have a choice, from an economic standpoint. They must charge the fees. They just built a state-of-the-art training facility in New Jersey and must pay their half for the new stadium. Woody Johnson is loaded, but his family didn't sell that many Band-Aids. And he's a businessman. He's not footing the entire bill. You'll pay your share. Just bite the bullet, if you choose, and be glad you're not a fan of the Cowboys, who will charge fees that'll top off at $150,000 next season in their new digs.

Generally, fans get what's coming to them, and what they'll tolerate. Football isn't food or shelter, but there are millions of folks who can't do without. And there are enough well-off football fans with the necessary amount of disposable income to make sure PSL fees are here to stay.

These fees are a complete rip-off, although if enough people are willing to pay them, can they really be described as rip-offs?

For those with budgetary and common sense limits, I suggest you go to the Meadowlands this weekend and see Favre on the cheap while you can. He'll be the salesman in the No. 4 jersey, and you'd better arrive early, because he'll play only a few series of downs. And yet, compared with next season, you'll get your money's worth.

Favre faces Coles & subject is Chad

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, August 14th 2008, 12:04 AM

Brett Favre held a private discussion yesterday with Laveranues Coles, and the subject was a sensitive one - Chad Pennington.

Coles and Pennington are close friends, and the receiver, upset by Pennington's abrupt release in the aftermath of the Favre trade, has refused to speak with the media. Normally, Coles is one of the most media-friendly players on the team. Favre said he sought out Coles to clear the air.

"I said, 'Look, I heard you're not talking to the media. I understand you don't want to say anything good about me, that's okay,'" said Favre, claiming he was joking with Coles. "He said, 'It's not that, it's not that.' I said, 'Look, I'm not here to take Chad's spot or replace him.'"

Favre praised Pennington, and he acknowledged that Coles and Pennington had "a great rapport together." But now Favre must earn Coles' trust - and vice versa. Their relationship is vital to the success of the offense, not to mention locker room harmony.

"I think he'll realize, if he doesn't already, that I'm an easygoing guy, easy to work with," Favre said. "You drop a ball, so what? I throw bad passes. We're in this together, and I'd like for us to come out of it together."

Coles sat out the evening practice. He apparently aggravated a previous leg injury late in the morning session.

FAVRE ZONE: Favre complained of a tired arm after the morning session, but he ended with a bang - a 53-yard TD strike to Brad Smith in the two-minute drill. It came on a fourth-and-10 after Favre took a delay-of-game penalty for not getting off the play in time.

Earlier, Favre was intercepted by SAbram Elam. He should've been picked off again, but the ball was dropped by

CB Hank Poteat

. Favre attempted 20 passes in a seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 drill. In the evening practice, he totaled 16 passes.

HE'LL BE BACK: DE Shaun Ellis, sidelined for more than a week with a broken hand, isn't in jeopardy of missing the season opener, Eric Mangini said. He said there's an outside chance Ellis could play Saturday against the Redskins....Mangini held the two longest practices of camp. Only one practice today, 1:30p.m. ... OLB Matt Chatham worked at inside linebacker. He could replace backup ILB Brad Kassell (season-ending knee surgery).... WR David Clowney left the morning practice for an undisclosed reason, but he returned for the second session.... Mangini was so disgusted with the scout-team offense that he made the entire unit run a double penalty lap. ... Rookie WR Marcus Henry (calf) returned to practice....The Jets acquired veteran FB Justin Green on waivers from the Ravens. ... CB David Barrett, due to make a hefty $3.6million this season, renegotiated his contract, according to a league source. His base was slashed to $2.4 million, reducing his chances of becoming a cap casualty.

LIMPING LAVERANUES SITS

By MARK HALE

jetnotes.gif

Posted: 2:57 am

August 14, 2008

Toward the end of morning practice yesterday, Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles t.gif was limping a little bit after a deep but incomplete pass. It didn't appear serious, but the Jet wideout didn't practice during yesterday's second session.

Eric Mangini said that Brett Favre won't play more during the preseason than normal despite the fact that he's learning a new team. Said Mangini, "We'll follow the same pattern that we've had."

Shaun EllisShaun Ellis t.gif is out with a hand injury, but Mangini said, "I'm not sure of the exact timetable, but I don't think it's going to be leading into the season or anything like that."

Favre isn't exactly a fan of the days during the week between games.

"I still don't like it. I wondered this morning when I got up, 'What the HECK am I doing?' " he said yesterday. "But the answer to that question is I love to play. I hate to study. At times I hate to practice. But I love to play.

"And I know I need to study, I know I need to practice, I know how important it is. Doesn't mean I have to like it. And the question I have to ask myself, am I willing to do that? And the answer is yes."

Favre on being a Jet: "Yeah, there were discussions before I came here about going elsewhere and all that stuff. I am happy to be here. I really am."

New York Jets day at camp

Thursday, August 14, 2008 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON COLES AND FAVRE ARE CATCHING ON Laveranues Coles may be upset at the Jets for releasing his good friend Chad Pennington. But he obviously doesn't have a problem with Brett Favre.

Star-Ledger Staff

Before yesterday's morning practice at Hofstra, Coles and Favre were laughing and joking like old pals. They exchanged friendly pats on the helmet and put their arms around each other's shoulders as they spoke.

Coles, who rarely hides his emotions, has told people close to him that he has nothing against Favre. In fact, he likes him. The feeling is mutual. It's been fine," Favre said of his relationship with Coles. "In fact, I had a little talk with him today. I said, 'Look, I heard you're not talking to the meida. I understand you don't want to say anything good about me. That's OK.' I obviously was joking on that.

"Those two guys had a great rapport. I said, 'Look, I'm not trying to replace (Pennington). I'm here to help you guys win and I hope you respect me for that. ... Whatever you had with Chad, may that continue.'

"I think he'll realize, if he hasn't already, that I'm an easygoing guy, easy to work with."

Favre apparently likes working with all of the wide receivers because they remind him of his group in Green Bay: Quick and good after the catch.

Surprisingly, Favre mentioned second-year WR Chansi Stuckey by name along with Coles and Jerricho Cotchery. Stuckey missed all last season with a foot injury but has been impressive in camp.

Coles again refused comment. He has not talked to the media since Pennington was released.

QUICK HITS

-- QB Kellen Clemens will be the backup to Favre against the Redskins on Saturday night, coach Eric Mangini said.

First-year pro Brett Ratliff, who completed 14 of 20 passes for 252 yards and two TDs (70 and 71 yards) against the Browns, continues to get more reps with the first- and second-team and is turning heads.

Ratliff was especially sharp in the afternoon practice, engineering a crisp two-minute drive that ended with an 18-yard touchdown pass to WR Wallace Wright. He also completed a 40-yarder down the sidelines to rookie WR Marcus Henry.

downarrow.gif Advertisement

spacer.gifcontinuestory.gifspacer.gif

spacer.gifspacer.gif

30613035303230323438326464626230?_RM_EMPTY_&

Clemens, a second-round pick who the organization remains high on, will likely open the season as the No. 2 quarterback, but Ratliff is closing the gap.

-- LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson now finds himself protecting the blind side of a future Hall of Famer in Favre. He said he doesn't mind.

"I don't think it's a pressure situation," said Ferguson, who has yielded 21 sacks over the past two seasons, according to STATS, INC. "Regardless of who is behind me -- and even though (Favre is) a great player -- my job still stays the same. I have to protect the quarterback position.

"But I definitely feel like it's a great opportunity. It's amazing. It's exciting."

-- Pennington signed a two-year, $7.9 million contract with Miami, not the two-year, $11.5 million first reported. He'll earn $4 million this season ($3.5 million guaranteed) but a $3.9 million base salary next season isn't guaranteed. Thus, the Dolphins could release him following the season without taking any cap hit.

INJURY REPORT -- Coles sat out the afternoon practice after tweaking his left leg in the morning session. DE Shaun Ellis (hand) and LB Jason Trusnik (foot/PUP list) didn't practice. WR David Clowney collapsed in the morning practice from apparent heat exhaustion but returned in the afternoon. Ellis, who has been out a week, won't play against the Redskins.

QUICK HITS -- QB Kellen Clemens will be the backup to Favre against the Redskins on Saturday night, coach Eric Mangini said.

First-year pro Brett Ratliff, who completed 14 of 20 passes for 252 yards and two TDs (70 and 71 yards) against the Browns, continues to get more reps with the first- and second-team and is turning heads.

Ratliff was especially sharp in the afternoon practice, engineering a crisp two-minute drive that ended with an 18-yard touchdown pass to WR Wallace Wright. He also completed a 40-yarder down the sidelines to rookie WR Marcus Henry.

Clemens, a second-round pick who the organization remains high on, will likely open the season as the No. 2 quarterback, but Ratliff is closing the gap.

Wednesday night practice notes 448613.jpg

Jets WR David Ball

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Aug 13, 2008

The Jets generally play a lot of rap music at practice, but today mixed in some country for Brett Favre.

One featured song was "Save a horse, ride a cowboy," by "Big and Rich." Rap afficionado Justin Miller came over and jokingly ribbed the DJ's for that selection . . .

Ahmad Carroll had a big hit on an unnamed reserve tight end (he had a fake jersey number on, so it was hard to tell who it was) over the middle. Carroll also had another pick . . .

Chansi Stuckey had terrific catches on consecutive plays on passes from Favre. He and Favre seems to be developing a quick chemistry . . .

Laveranues Coles sat out of the evening practice perhaps due to the leg injury that bothered him last week . . .

A reverse was called for David Clowney, and he looked very elusive on the play. With his world class speed, he looks like a very good fit for this play . . .

David Ball had a nice leaping catch on the sideline on a pass from Eric Ainge. Ball doesn't get a lot of reps, but he's taking advantage of the one's he gets . . . After a fast start in camp, Dustin Keller has quieted down in recent days . . . Based on the last few days, and the amount of reps he's getting, it's starting to look like Brett Ratliff might have a chance to challenge Kellen Clemens for the #2 job . .

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Brett Favre dropped back, looked downfield and launched a long spiral about 5 yards past his intended receiver. A few plays later, the Jets quarterback short-hopped a toss that thumped into the grass.

"I felt 38 today," Favre said Wednesday after New York's morning practice. "I'm not going to lie to you."

Favre fired a few duds in his fifth practice since joining the Jets, saying his rocket right arm is a bit tired.

"My arm's kind of dragging a little bit today," Favre said. "It's not really sore, but just fatigued. To be honest with you, I'm surprised that, I don't want to say I feel good, that I've been able to make it through every practice so far."

Favre was acquired from the Green Bay Packers last Wednesday night, and has been practicing with the Jets since Saturday. He's set to start Saturday's preseason game against the Washington Redskins.

"I didn't throw the ball that well this morning, underthrew some throws," Favre said. "No pain, but I'm 38 years old. It's going to be fatigued a little bit."

AFC East blog

graham_tim_m.jpg

ESPN.com's Tim Graham writes about all things AFC East in his division blog.

Archived