Mahan signed from Bucs last year, traded to them this year

StillerPaul

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08246/908806-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

The Steelers today traded backup center Sean Mahan to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for an undisclosed draft choice in 2009.

Mahan started all 17 games, including their playoff, last season after he signed with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent from Tampa Bay. However, he was overpowered by some of the bigger nose tackles in the league and the Steelers signed free agent Justin Hartwig this year to replace him.

The two competed for the spot in the preseason and coach Mike Tomlin declared Hartwig the winner before the final preseason game.

With Mahan gone, Darnell Stapleton, who also can play guard, becomes Hartwig's backup. Stapleton made the team last year as an undrafted rookie from Rutgers.

The trade leaves the Steelers with an open spot on their 52-man roster they likely will fill today.

The Buccaneers drafted Mahan, 28, in the fifth round from Notre Dame in 2003. The Steelers signed him to replace the retired Jeff Hartings at center and he did so after competing last summer for the job with veteran Chukky Okobi, who was released before the 2007 began.

BTW, this is the main reason i have renewed hope and faith in my O-line.

Yea the Faneca loss hurt, but we don't need an all pro line. Just adequate will do us fine with the playmakes we have.

I think Parker and Big Ben staying healthy is the most important thing right now.

i think Ben is in for a long season

You could be right.

In years past when the O-line struggled they usually went OL heavy in the draft. This year, they didn't. They went BPA, which is really odd to see as a Steelers fan.

But if ya think about it, any young OL we drafted prolly would have taken around 3 years to develop (that's usually how it goes IMO), and the Steelers are built to try n win now. So they chose to get Ben some more playmakers in hopes of getting teams to drop the safeties out of the box.

This schedule is brutal though. And there are alot of top notch passrushers to be faced this year, that's why i kinda have guarded optimism.

Archived