Erik Boland Live chat

flgreen

Live chat with Erik Boland

spacer.gif

10:54

Moderator: Hi all. We'll get going at around 11 a.m. The chat will last about 45 minutes.

10:59

good morning and welcome back for live chat VI. to borrow a phrase from one of our HOF blog posters, Mr. Green T, hopefully everyone has stepped off that "ledge" as is looking ahead to Monday night. Ready when you, and the moderator, is...

10:59

[Comment From Matt]

Why weren't the jets throwing the ball on sunday?

11:01

Matt, that's a great question. It's cliche to say "Let Brett be Brett" but the reason, in theory, to bring in Favre was to expand the playbook, not restrict it. Mangini said yesterday, "We're really completely comfortable with him throwing the ball." Against a SD team that hasn't covered a pass yet this young season, you would think you'll see more of Favre throwing Monday night

11:01

[Comment From Anthony (PA)]

Why in the world do you bring in Brett Favre and then run 3 straight plays? Granted, Jones looked good, but why not at least use Favre's arm on ONCE on 1st and goal. Someone needs to tell Mangini that Pennington is in Miami now and didn't just switch numbers from 10 to 4. USE the rocket arm of FAVRE! Your thought's Erik...

11:03

Anthony, agreed. I have no problem with running on first down but there was just no creativity with the two plays that followed. Yes, the ole hindsight thing is 20/20 but the whole 'game-plan' specific thing the Jets always talk about almost demanded they attack the weakness of the Pats, which is their secondary; not their strength, which is their front seven.

11:03

[Comment From david]

do you think the jets can beat sandiago monday night and whatdo thy have to do in order to do that

11:05

David, if I was a Jets fan I would be worried about going into a hornet's nest out there with the Chargers absolutely having to win that game now that they're 2-0. But defending the forward pass has been a major issue thus far for them and i think if Favre is unleased the Jets could steal that one. Also, not to take shots at the guy, but Norv Turner is not Bill Belichick. To say the least.

11:05

[Comment From chip douglas]

Keller seemed uncoverable all summer, why has he seemed to disappear from the jets playbook in the regular season

11:06

chip douglas, yeah that's been an early mystery thus far. watching him get away so easily from Adalius Thomas Sunday for that 19-yard gain over the middle is an indication of the matchup problems he causes. But, again, their problems on offense run deeper right now than not getting Keller involved. But he, no doubt, should be more involved than he has been to this point.

11:07

[Comment From flgreen]

Will Graham survive this week

11:07

[Comment From Wayne80]

If Graham shanks another punt this week I will be sick. Are they finally replacing him?

11:08

flgreen and Wayne80, I think the Jets quietly will - or already have - be looking at some other guys, though I think Graham will survive the week. But another shank-filled performance Monday will probably get him cut. Mangini hinted at as much yesterday

11:09

[Comment From jetman]

when is justin miller coming back from injury? i dont mind coleman out there sometimes. do you think miller will play the nickel?

11:11

jetman, there's no timetable (surprise) that's been given on Miller's injury but I suspect it's going to be another few weeks. You ask a great looking-forward question because we didn't really see a lot of Miller in the nickel during camp. It was all about him competing with Barrett for that second corner spot and now that appears to be Lowery's for good. But Miller's athleticism and speed should, in theory, make him someone who could play the nickel.

11:11

[Comment From are-tee]

Hi, Erik. Can you explain why Bubba Franks is getting so much playing time when Baker and Keller are clearly upgrades as receivers? Also, do you think Eric Smith will be benched? He hasn't looked good.

11:13

are-tee, with Favre still not having the playbook completely down, they're trying to make him as comfortable as possible and Franks, whom Favre played with for eight seasons in GB, makes him comfortable. But Baker is the better all-around TE, without question. As for Smith, they're just not sold on Elam as a starter back there and in the grand scheme, beyond Rhodes, you're seeing the lack of depth at safety that we've talked about here and in the blog for weeks rearing its ugly head.

11:13

[Comment From notjustQBs]

What does Bill Callahan have to say? If you haven't heard, I'd appreciate it if you can ask when you can.

11:15

notjustqbs, not to give you a real short answer, but he doesn't have anything to say. at least in public. I got an interview with him the second or third week of training camp and felt as if I'd scored a session with the President. The Jets don't make getting sit-downs with assistants easy.

11:15

[Comment From Ryan]

Stephen Gostowski must be tested for performance enhancing drugs! I don't remember a kicker booting the ball the way he did on kickoffs. Hanson, the punter, also did an excellent job. Taking Leon out of the return game was the difference in my opinion. Has Mangini addressed special teams? What will they do to improve in that area?

11:18

Ryan, good transition to something I was thinking: notjustqbs asked about talking to Callahan and I think a lot of people would like to hear from Mike Westhoff, who took over for Kevin O'Dea as the "head" special teams coach just before the Miami game. Westhoff is a great specials teams coach but his unit has been bad - pure and simple - to this point. Mangini yesterday was not happy about a variety of things and special teams was very high on his list

11:18

[Comment From Wayne80]

SD opened as nine point favorite, so anyone thinking we have a good shot needs a little dose of reality. Thoughts?

11:20

wayne80, if I'm a Jet fan, here's what gives me hope: the Jets defense. the unit was put in a bad spot just about all game and came through for the most part. the exception of course was not getting cassel off the field late in the fourth quarter but through two games that front seven has looked pretty darn good. if the playbook is opened up a bit against a SD defense that looks pretty bad the jets can compete out there

11:20

[Comment From Rob]

Erik, I think the Jets will be a solid football team a month from now, and a team that can be up there with the Pats, Steelers, and Colts by the end of the season. what do you think?

11:22

rob, I'm not sure i'd go that far. Before the season I predicted the Jets as a playoff team, but a notch below those elite teams you mentioned. I'll stick with that. I still see the potential for grabbing as high as the fourth seed for this team, though buffalo seems better than I thought they would be. of course san diego appears worse. welcome to a typical nfl season, though, right?

11:22

[Comment From Flgreen]

Leon only had two carries. Will they work him in more?

11:24

flgreen, he was one of the stars of training camp and mangini talked about - raved really - about him unprompted several times. what's interesting is washington seemed much more involved BEFORE Favre came in so I think they're still trying to figure out how to use him with Favre. it was more obvious when they thought either pennington or clemens was going to be the QB. but washington is too good in open space - as you saw on that one run inside the red zone - so they'll figure it out.

11:24

[Comment From RC Meany]

Since the Jets 2008 party line is to talk about the new players learning the system, bringing Brett along and expanding the playbook, having the right blend of veteran and young players, etc. and yada yada--do you expect us to make a quantum leap at some point in the season (if so, when) or will we keeping hearing more of the usual stuff--we did some good things, we're starting to gel, we're showing signs of improvement--after every close game--regardless of the outcome. How would you define a successful season? When do we know if Gholston is this year's D-Rob, D;Brick or another D-dumb first pick? I know that's a few questions. Put them on my tab.

11:28

RC Meany, always good to see you make an appearance! I'll be brief on these because we don't have time for in-depth stuff on them all: I think by Week 9 or 10 you'll see what this team is going to be all about. And I still think that will mean pretty good. I define successful season this way: at minimum the playoffs. the Favre trade goes down as a failure with no playoffs. period. Gholston is going to struggle this year. I've said it 100 times. But I don't think that makes him a bust. You can't quit on these guys so early, regardless of what other first-round picks are doing. How's Carson Palmer looking nowandays? difference positions, yes i know, but you get the idea. snap judgments one way or the other don't work in this league with young guys

11:28

[Comment From Dave]

David Harris has not been as impactful as he was last season... Is he still lingering from whatever was hurting him earlier in the off-season?

11:30

dave, that's a great question. i don't think he's hurt. remember, he had eight tackles sunday, second best on the team. no eye-popping numbers like last year to this point but that's a product, i think, of better players around him. the way the front seven is playing, i dont think you'll see any 15 tackle games by anyone because those numbers are going to be spread out. and that's not a bad thing. harris will be okay.

Moderator: Three questions, all asking about the team's lack of discipline, confusion and preparation.

[Comment From eric]

Erik, I for one am disgusted with the Jets propensity to commit stupid, drive killing penalties. For all of Mangini's notoriety as a disciplinarian, his teams sure do appear to be undisciplined! Your thoughts?

[Comment From upstatejetsfan08]

Hi Erik, Great job, thanks. I too am happy with the D, do you see Gholston beina a factor at any point this year, and did Mangini address why there was so much confusion(which I am sure Billy B loved)?

[Comment From JETVET]

Finally timed your LiveChat correctly. So far Boland has been the bright spot of the season. We are not ready for any of the top teams and should not be included in a conversation about playoffs after losing our home opener to a Bradyless NE team. Why is a team that touts themselves as disciplined and smart looking so confused and outcoached?

11:34

eric, upstatejetsfan08 and JETVET (thanks, guys), here's the deal on the penalties: say what you will about Mangini but his first two seasons the Jets were among the least penalized team in the league. the stats bear that out. I think THE reason why on Monday he still seemed as PO'd [what passes for PO'd by Mangini] as he did immediately after the game was those penalties. Mangini laid blame for some of that confusion at his rookies, mentioning Keller, Lowery and Gholston as all getting lost at times. i would have liked to heard him say, "I'm the head coach and that's on me," but whatever. Mangini's track record - again the last two seasons as evidence - is pretty good with that stuff so I don't think it will be a season-long problem. i think this whole team tightens up against the Pats, including the coaches. and upstate, i think gholston's impact will be minimal this year, but in large part because b. thomas is playing so well.

11:34

[Comment From Gary]

Hey Erik, thanks for taking my question. I have an issue with Mangini - this guy acts as if he's one of the best coaches out there and has done zero so far. The way he handles the press, the clandestine fashion which he keeps things from the public - to me, this is a make or break year for him. I personally thing he's a poser, what are your thoughts and what do others in the really think of him? Thanks again!

11:39

gary, the way a coach handles the media is one of the most overblown things in sports. it has nothing to do with how he performs on sundays but the media takes these things personally in a way they shouldn't at times. not that i don't have issues with how the jets organizationally does things - i do - but what impacts fans are the games on sundays, not what happens in press conferences. the way mangini hides even insignificant things amuses me more than anything and I don't think this clouds my objectivity but I'll go so far as to say I like the guy. all that said, i think mangini is uber prepared most of the time and can be a good coach in this league i think he suffers from what a lot of guys in the profession do: outthinking themselves at crucial times. make or break this year? only if, and i dont think it will happen, this team implodes and goes 6-10 or something like that

11:39

[Comment From Ryan]

Erik, where has the creativity gone in this offense? Particularly the plays involving Brad Smith i.e. the reverses, quick screens. In the preseason, we ran both a reverse with Brad Smith, and threw a quick screen with great blocking on 3rd and long to Smith, both went for about fifteen yards. And this was after getting Favre, so we know he has run these plays at least a few times. During the regular season Brad Smith has disappeared, and it looks like we are "playing not to lose", pardon the cliche, but its true.

11:41

ryan, yeah that's been the big topic so far this week and will continue to be: why bring in a guy like brett favre if you're going to restrict what he can do? and if he only has 75% of the playbook down, then call the plays in that 75% that allow him to use the abilities that has him on top of most career passing numbers in the record book. based on the run on third-and-7 in Miami late and the three runs on the goal line Sunday, "playing not to lose," while cliche, is true. To this point.

11:41

[Comment From eric]

What are your thoughts on Brian Schottenheimer as an OC? Two yrs. ago I thought he was one of the great young minds in the game. Now, he looks like his FATHER!

11:44

eric, just to defend Marty for a moment. In Cleveland for a couple years with Bernie Kosar, they had one of the top offenses in football so his rep. hasn't always been completely fair (had to throw that in!). anyway, i'm not sure what to make of B. Schott yet. two years ago he looked cutting edge, you're right, but last year we saw far too many %#$*$ fade patters on the goal line. but even a fade would have been prefered to what we saw sunday from down deep. not to be sarcastic but someone needs to get hold of him and mangini and let them know brett favre is their QB

11:44

[Comment From jon b]

we heard all of season how tony richardson and the offensive line will be dominant. Now i know TJ rushed for over a hundred in week one, but in the obvious goalline situation and short yardage situations they seemed to be dominated by miami's and ne d lines. Do you think they will gel or is d brick, mangold and woody busts?

11:47

jon b, i'm as guilty as anyone going nuts about the goal line run plays but overall, the Jets ran well against NE. They did average 5.0 yards per carry which is excellent against anyone, let alone NE, against whom the Jets have never run well against, certainly in recent memory. so I wouldn't bury the O line quite yet. on the goal line they were blown up, but overall in the game they weren't.. again, it comes back to what NE strength is, its front seven and running right at it in that short-yardage situation. bad idea.

11:47

[Comment From calmjetsfan]

Hey Erik- love your blog! I agree with you completely on how Jets fans shouldn't panic just yet. Besides the defense what else has impressed you so far with this team?

11:48

calmjetsfan, thanks and welcome. mmm, i think everything that's impressed me has been on defense. well, that's not quite true. Thomas Jones. He was non-existent in the preseason but he's hitting the hole pretty well and averaging 4.4 yards per carry.

11:49

[Comment From Mass_Isles_Fan]

Has Schotty allowed Brett to integrate any plays from Green Bay? You would think he would want to make Brett more comfortable and allow him to mix in a few favorites from his old play book. Possibly to let the team open up the passing attack more. They traded for Favre to carry the team, so why are they not going for broke?

11:51

massislesfan, popular topic today what you just asked about. mangini insists they're not restricting favre in any way but the evidence, two games in, suggests otherwise. i don't believe they're bringing in any aspects of the GB playbook, nor should they. as even favre has said, "it's easier for 1 player to get on board with 10, then 10 to get on board with 1." i think the jets playbook is fine; they just need to use a bit more of it, particularly the chapter with the downfield passing game

11:51

[Comment From Dave]

How come Jerricho Cotchery disapeared on Sunday... What kind of "Magic" / Video tape was being used by Bellicheat?

11:52

dave, haha. i thought we'd get through a chat without a spygate remark! well done. as for Jerricho, it wasn't just him who disappeared. no receiver really did a great job getting open. i think he's going to be be able to roam relatively free Monday night in SD, though.

11:53

Moderator: We have time for two more questions ...

[Comment From Anthony (PA)]

Thanks Erik for your GREAT work. I love reading your blog and having these live chats. This is my third live chat and not a one has disappointed! I look to you for all my Jets info. Thanks!

[Comment From JV51]

Where have David Harris and Eric Barton been so far these 2 weeks? All I've seen is them two getting blown up on screen passes and not making plays.

[Comment From JV51]

The weak link in our defense have been our 2 middle linebackers. I was upset when we traded Vilma instead of pairing him up with David Harris in the middle. Do you think the Jets regret moving Vilma as he is leading the NFL in tackles?

11:56

thanks anthony, JV51, Vilma's totals are impressive but keep in mind, he's in a little bit different system in New Orleans. Harris has gotten off to a quiet start but I don't see any longterm problems there. Barton is who he is: a solid veteran who is the weak-link of that unit but he's not awful. i think the inability to defend the screens went beyond the LBs on Sunday.

great job as always everyone. you make these enjoyable to do. our time next week will probably be different because i'll be flying back from San Diego next Tuesday. stay tuned to the blog for dates and times.

11:57

[Comment From Carl]

When will nugent be back? and wasn't Kevin O'Dea supposed to be a kicking guru? Grahmn and Feeley/Nugent certainly arent showing anything

11:59

ooops, there was one more question. sorry about that.

carl, I saw Nugent in the locker room yesterday and he seemed to be moving pretty well. all mangini would say yesterday was that nugent wanted to be back quickly, which didn't disclose much. i still think, at minimum, you're looking at a few weeks with nugent but it's not a really long term thing. they would have IR'd nugent if that was the case. graham, as i mentioned at the start, is on a short, short leash this week.

11:59

Moderator: Thanks all.

Archived