I didn't get to watch the game tonight, how did Hughes look?

Arsis

8 innings and only 2 runs with 6k's looks like a pretty good outing on paper; but, I don't really give a **** about stats. How did he look out there? Was his fastball up there? Was he pitching himself into trouble? Were they hitting him hard and it just happen to land in someone's glove? I'm curious and stats don't really tell me ****.

His fastball was consistently in the 90-91 area, so it's still not exactly as advertised. The main difference between this start, and his first start, his curve was amazing this time, and he had no control on the curve in the first start. The only mistake he really had all night was the home run to Rolen. Rios also got a nice hit off him as well, but he hit a good pitch in my opinion, so it wasn't really Hughes fault there.

8 innings and only 2 runs with 6k's looks like a pretty good outing on paper; but, I don't really give a **** about stats. How did he look out there? Was his fastball up there? Was he pitching himself into trouble? Were they hitting him hard and it just happen to land in someone's glove? I'm curious and stats don't really tell me ****.

I've been as hard on Hughes as anybody here. Let me say this:

His curve ball tonight was GREAT. Looked like the curve he had before last seasons DL trip. The break was huge and it was sharp and fast.

His fastball had more life than I've seen in a long time, but still is not all the way back to what it once was.

He needs to work on his changeup.

Long way to go but tonight was a step in the right direction.

So it looks like he is going to be a good #4 for us next year? Because that is what we need him to be.

Well I guess we got to figure, were hopefully getting C.C. Sabathia in the offseason, and we'll be getting Chien-Ming back as well. I still think we've got to choose one between Andy Pettitte, and Mike Mussina, maybe both if we're keep Joba still on this pitch limit.

C.C.

Wang

Moose/Andy

Hughes

???

Really if you think about it, it might not be a bad idea at all to bring both Andy, and Mike back, if Joba is really on this limit still, and do any of us really have faith in Phil Hughes just after one good start. Who knows, he may still be inconsistent. The good thing is, we have a better back-up plan now in Alfredo Aceves.

Well I guess we got to figure, were hopefully getting C.C. Sabathia in the offseason, and we'll be getting Chien-Ming back as well. I still think we've got to choose one between Andy Pettitte, and Mike Mussina, maybe both if we're keep Joba still on this pitch limit.

C.C.

Wang

Moose/Andy

Hughes

???

Really if you think about it, it might not be a bad idea at all to bring both Andy, and Mike back, if Joba is really on this limit still, and do any of us really have faith in Phil Hughes just after one good start. Who knows, he may still be inconsistent. The good thing is, we have a better back-up plan now in Alfredo Aceves.

CC

Joba

Wang

Moose

Hughes

CC

Joba

Wang

Moose

Hughes

Yeah, and Aceves as the backup plan incase any pitcher gets hurt. Aceves really has proved a lot to me in this short time. It seems to me like he's a confident pitcher on the mound. He knows what he wants, and he goes for it. Aceves is a hell of a lot better then Ponson, or Rasner.

I know he's basically been a relief in the majors, but Phil Coke who has started in the minors, also might be a viable option to throw out there incase of an injury.

Archived