Similar Fates

DaBrick Wall

The Mets scored more runs than the Yankees with a NL line-up? That is really an indictment (again) of the Yankees line-up.

The Yankees gave up marginally the same amount of runs as the Mets in an AL league? That is an indictment (again) of the Mets staff (bullpen).

I think I heard, that if baseball were 8 innings long this year, the Mets would have won the division by 7 games.

Alas, it is not.

The Mets scored more runs than the Yankees with a NL line-up? That is really an indictment (again) of the Yankees line-up.

The Yankees gave up marginally the same amount of runs as the Mets in an AL league? That is an indictment (again) of the Mets staff (bullpen).

I think I heard, that if baseball were 8 innings long this year, the Mets would have won the division by 7 games.

Alas, it is not.

The Mets run-differential for 2008:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . R. . . . . . . . . RA. . . . . . . .Diff

Innings 1-6. . . . . . . . . . . . . 488. . . . . . . . 370. . . . . . . .118

Innings 7-9. . . . . . . . . . . . . 147. . . . . . . . 196. . . . . . . .-49

That's a complete indictment of the bullpen. Unbelievable how a bullpen could be THAT bad...

The Mets run-differential for 2008:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . R. . . . . . . . . RA. . . . . . . .Diff

Innings 1-6. . . . . . . . . . . . . 488. . . . . . . . 370. . . . . . . .118

Innings 7-9. . . . . . . . . . . . . 147. . . . . . . . 196. . . . . . . .-49

That's a complete indictment of the bullpen. Unbelievable how a bullpen could be THAT bad...

As well, they stopped hitting late in games also. It was a double whammy.

Your numbers show a disproportionate amount of runs scored early as opposed to late.

The good news-It is easy to identify teh problem.

The bad news-It is not an easy problem to fix.

The mets got soooooinfatuated with L/R match-ups, it required that you had to have 5-6 people "on" their game any particular day, where a well slotted bull-pen just requires a couple of guys each day.

A hard way to win.

Yankees

89-73

48-33 home

41-40 road

789 runs scored

727 runs allowed

Mets

89-73

48-33 home

41-40 road

799 runs scored

715 runs allowed

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

Pretty weird, eh?

789 runs for a team that in the past has driven in over 1,000 runs.

That my friends is a disgrace.

If there is any doubt that that lineup needs to be blown up just take a look at those numbers.

789 runs for a team that in the past has driven in over 1,000 runs.

That my friends is a disgrace.

If there is any doubt that that lineup needs to be blown up just take a look at those numbers.

Its an aging line up. I think only Jeter, A-Rod, Nady, and Posada are assured of returning. Posada, more for the fact that he's got huge money and health questions looming and he's also a good clubhouse presence.

Archived