What Could Help The Jets Land Jeb Putzier

YJF

I think Denver is going to match unless they are really up against the cap and can't.

It's a shame because this would have been a brilliant signing.

It looks like Baltimore has made an offer to Denver restricted free agent Kelly Herndon. Atlanta is also in the hunt for him.

Now Kelly Herndon is an undrafted free agent. Denver gets no compensation for him. If he signs an offer sheet with Baltimore, Atlanta or whomever.

That could force Denver to choose between Jeb and Herndon.

There was a report in one of todays papers by Dave Hutchinson. That if Denver matches Putzier's offer sheet. The Jets may still try to trade for him!

Perhaps giving up a 3rd or 4th rounder.

I'm hoping the Broncos don't match this offer, but I think it was a pretty weak attempt at getting Putzier by Bradway. I understand he wants us to have cap room now, for whatever reason, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if he'd frontloaded the contract and made it impossible for Denver to match.

not quite sure why both of you seem to think Denver will match this offer, even more surprised by the folks that keep saying this was a weak offer

do you know the details of the offer?

the first year's salary cap hit is 1.5 million bucks and Denver is 1.7 mill under the cap, but remember we also have a cap that we must work with and I cant see spending 5 mill in year one as a poison pill to not allow them to match, Denver has barely any wiggle room here and have lost alot of guys and will have to do alot of moves to be bale to survive the next few weeks let alone to have to scramble to make room for the Putz man

I think its unlikely they will match the offer at this point, they have bigger fish to fry.

Putzier's offer sheet part of "weird time"

By Bill Williamson

Denver Post Staff Writer

Just in case, Jeb Putzier is reflective these days.

"I keep thinking about the guys who helped me in Denver because I really don't know if I'll be back," Putzier said a day after signing a five-year offer sheet with the New York Jets. "There's been guys like Shannon (Sharpe), Jake (Plummer), Coach (Mike) Shanahan, (John) Lynch, who were all really helpful for me ...

"It's a weird time. I'm just trying to figure out where I'm going to be playing football this year."

For the next five days, that decision is up to the Broncos, who also may have to deal with an offer sheet to unrestricted free- agent cornerback Kelly Herndon. He is going to visit Atlanta on Tuesday and is also being pursued by Baltimore.

In the first move of restricted free agency this year - restricted free-agent movement is rare - Putzier signed a $12.5 million offer sheet that included a $2.5 million bonus with the Jets on Friday. Denver has until 2 p.m. this Friday to match the offer. If the Broncos do not match, Putzier will go to the Jets and Denver will get a sixth-round choice in next month's draft.

The Jets are so interested in acquiring Putzier, they may be willing to trade for him even if Denver matches. New York would likely offer a midround pick for Putzier in that scenario. Denver currently doesn't have a third-, fourth- or fifth-round pick, so it could be open to that possibility.

Denver low-tendered Putzier at $656,000 two weeks ago. Cornerback Lenny Walls was the only Denver player to get the first-round tender of $1.43 million for this season.

There's a strong chance Denver will match the offer. The deal the Jets negotiated is cap friendly and could easily work into Denver's cap. Denver has long coveted Putzier's ability to stretch the field and tried to extend his contract last August. Thus, this deal could expedite what the team wants to do in the future, anyway.

If they do not match Putzier's offer sheet, the Broncos will have to seek another tight end. They had Stephen Alexander of Detroit in Thursday and Friday before Putzier signed his offer sheet with the Jets. The team also has talked to Seattle's Itula Mili. Other tight ends of interest are Minnesota's Jermaine Wiggins, Indianapolis' Marcus Pollard and the Jets' Anthony Becht.

"We'll see what happens," Putzier said. "Either way, whatever happens, I know I'll be in a good situation."

Tampa Bay and Buffalo also have shown interest in Putzier.

"I felt Jeb's value was better than a low tender offer and we wanted to see what the market beared," his agent Joe Linta said. "We're happy with this and we're interested to see how the Broncos respond. He does like playing there."

While the Broncos don't have a lot of salary cap room, they were $1.7 million under the cap as of Friday.

Putzier developed into a good open-field threat last season, his first as a full-time player. He had 36 catches for 582 yards.

Herndon is to meet with the Falcons on Tuesday, which includes a meeting with owner Arthur Blanks. The Broncos will likely not match an offer sheet if Herndon gets a significant offer. The team chose to give Walls the first-round tender instead of Herndon, who would be the nickel cornerback in Denver if he returns. Like Walls, Herndon was an undrafted rookie, so Denver will not get any compensation for Herndon if he leaves.

Archived