Player Q&A: Lito Sheppard

Maxman

http://www.jetnation.com/?p=2577

Courtesy NYJets.com

How did you earn the nickname “Cowboy Killer”?

[Laughs] Well, I think half of my career picks came against the Cowboys. Two of them I was able to take for 100-plus yards, so that kind of put me in history in the NFL. But the Cowboys have been real good to me, man. It seems like every time I play them something good happens for me.

What was it like playing for Steve Spurrier at the University of Florida?

I love Coach Spurrier. You know, that was one of the better coaches I’ve ever played for. He made things fun, he made them interesting, and just his overall mentality and the way he coached, I think it was just good for me at the time. So I enjoyed every day I spent under Coach Spurrier.

What do you think of your Jets head coach, Rex Ryan?

He’s funny and I love that, too. He’s definitely a defensive-minded coach. He’s definitely got that defensive mentality — not backing down from anyone, anything, any challenge — and he definitely instills that in his team, so that’s great.

How good of a pro QB do you think Tim Tebow is going to be?

See, coming from me, this is going to be a biased answer, but any Gator, if they get the opportunity to play, I think they’ve got a chance to be great. I mean, simply, just coming from the Orange & Blue, Tebow, with his heart, skill and mentality, it’s hard to pinpoint how good he can be. His will to win, that’s something you can’t coach, you can’t teach, and he definitely has that. So his level of play can only be determined by Tebow, but he’s going to be good and I just hope someone will give him that chance.

Who’s the best QB you’ve ever faced?

Wow. I’ve got three that I’ve got in mind, starting with Tom Brady — he’s pretty damn accurate with that ball, that’s the bottom line, and his poise back there helps that out. Next is a tossup between Drew Brees and Peyton Manning. I only played against Peyton once, but his accuracy is off the charts, too. Brees, he’s one of those quarterbacks where he doesn’t get the top two or three recognition in the league, but the way he moves his offense and throws the ball, he’s got one of the better balls in the NFL, too.

What would you say is your best physical and mental quality?

Best physical? Speed and quickness. Mental, I think just the ability to stay cool in heated situations.

How good a corner is Darrelle Revis?

For him to be as young as he is, he’s definitely one of the tops in the league. With that said, he’s got only the sky to climb. With his unique size and quickness, I think that’s his advantage and he’s going to be one of the top players in this league for a long time. My advice to him is just to stay focused and stay hungry.

What has been a pleasant surprise for you in your transition from Philadelphia to New York?

Nothing was really surprising. I was a little hesitant about how I’d get along with all the guys when I came over, but, you know, these guys are so great. They took me in with open arms and we’ve just got one common goal: to win. As long as we’re on one page and working harder, I think, that’s what instills trust in everybody. I’ve been here and just been connecting like I was always one of the guys.

Great read.

What would you say is your best physical and mental quality?

"Best physical? Speed and quickness.

Something Ty Law didn't have at the age of 34...

I've been considering this a huge upgrade for the Jets secondary becasuse Law couldn't make a play on the ball to save his NFL Career and did nothing in 7 games...Nothing.

I'll take a CB who's only 28 years of age in Sheppard who's considered one of the best cover corners around (When healthy) over a 35 year old Law any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I can remember watching Lito in college. He returned kicks. He would get the crowd in the swamp nuts screaming, Litoooooo, Litoooooo, Litoooooo...he was sick.

If he can return to form. We will have a very solid CB's that will allow us to be a little more aggressive with our LB'ers and Safties.

I can remember watching Lito in college. He returned kicks. He would get the crowd in the swamp nuts screaming, Litoooooo, Litoooooo, Litoooooo...he was sick.

If he can return to form. We will have a very solid CB's that will allow us to be a little more aggressive with our LB'ers and Safties.

He's still only 28 and hasn't been hurt in a while now...With Revis and Sheppard can form one of the best 1-2 punches @ the CB position here in 09. I really believe that, I've always been a huge fan of Sheppard...He was always considered one of the best cover corners in the game @ 100%

When the Jets play the Bills...I was Revis on Evans and Sheppard on Ownes because Sheppard has SHUT HIM DOWN over the years

Man I hope we dont lose Revis. this kid is a Monster. And with Lowery learning from him and Lito this defense is going to be a got dam problem.

Well...I just cant see this secondary being ranked around 29th overall again because of the additions of Sheppard and Leonhard over Law and Elam...Those two players had nothing to offer our secondary against the pass last year, nothing. Law was running on empty after an amazing NFL Career @ the age of 34 and Elam was simply lost and confused out in pass coverage you know?

Also, I think Lowery could be "that much better" just off the playing time and experience that he gained as a full time starter @ the #2 CB position for 9 weeks last year. If anything, he could make a solid Nickel back this year

Dwight Lowery is a Safety, not a Cornerback. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mistaken. Rex Ryan will realize this and put him as a reserve at the Safety position.

As for Lito, I have nothing but high hopes for him. The only reason he saw the bench in 2008 was because of his non stop talking for a new contract and the Eagles decided to go younger. It wasn't because of bad play. When healthy, there arn't 10 other Cornerback's in the NFL I'd rather have. We have the potential to have the best Secondary in the NFL. However, without a pass rush, we could have two Deion Sanders, Ed Reed & Ronnie Lott back there and it wouldn't matter, so pass rush is still the biggest need.

Dwight Lowery is a Safety, not a Cornerback. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mistaken. Rex Ryan will realize this and put him as a reserve at the Safety position.

As for Lito, I have nothing but high hopes for him. The only reason he saw the bench in 2008 was because of his non stop talking for a new contract and the Eagles decided to go younger. It wasn't because of bad play. When healthy, there arn't 10 other Cornerback's in the NFL I'd rather have. We have the potential to have the best Secondary in the NFL. However, without a pass rush, we could have two Deion Sanders, Ed Reed & Ronnie Lott back there and it wouldn't matter, so pass rush is still the biggest need.

Exactly what I've been saying...But yet, I got bashed for feeling we have one of the most talented secondarys in the league when I made the thread about our Defense today.

I could still think of 10 overall CB's that I would pick over Sheppard, but...When healthy, Sheppard is a top 10 cover corner.

I disagree with Dwight Lowery...He's never played the S position in college...He's a natural CB bro

I disagree with Dwight Lowery...He's never played the S position in college...He's a natural CB bro

So what if he never played the Safety position in College? Players make transitions from CB to Safety all the time. Most recently, see Antrel Rolle of the Arizona Cardinals, a Cornerback his entire career at "The U" and his first two years in Arizona. It is probably one of the easiest transitions to make in the NFL. Brandon Moore was a DLineman, he is now our best run blocking OLineman.

He is too slow to be a starting NFL Cornerback and with his tackling abilities would be much better suited at Safety. The talk when he was drafted was that he'd be better at Safety. Other than a couple of nice pass break ups in Miami Week 1, the talk was right. He should've been at Safety, and he soon will be.

So what if he never played the Safety position in College? Players make transitions from CB to Safety all the time. Most recently, see Antrel Rolle of the Arizona Cardinals, a Cornerback his entire career at "The U" and his first two years in Arizona. It is probably one of the easiest transitions to make in the NFL. Brandon Moore was a DLineman, he is now our best run blocking OLineman.

He is too slow to be a starting NFL Cornerback and with his tackling abilities would be much better suited at Safety. The talk when he was drafted was that he'd be better at Safety. Other than a couple of nice pass break ups in Miami Week 1, the talk was right. He should've been at Safety, and he soon will be.

You could be right, but who knows...Elite speed @ the CB position isn't a must because once the CB gets beat deep, thats when the Safetys over the top come into place...Nothing is worse than a slow safety (Eric Smith).

Ty Law was never a fast CB...I just have a feeling Lowery can be a beast of a CB over the next 2-3 years. We have that fast CB in Revis...Lowery can be that aggressive type that jams opposing WR's at the line when we send the pressure.

What do you think of your Jets head coach, Rex Ryan?

He’s funny and I love that, too. He’s definitely a defensive-minded coach. He’s definitely got that defensive mentality — not backing down from anyone, anything, any challenge — and he definitely instills that in his team, so that’s great.

I think thats the quality you guys will love about him. Especially in your division you'll need that type of D.

I think thats the quality you guys will love about him. Especially in your division you'll need that type of D.

I agree...NY is a tough media with tough fans...

This mans coaching style fits the New York Jets to a "T", just like Bill Parcells.

Toughness, respect, along with a hunger for success which is what Rex Ryan is all about.

When players like Reed, Lewis, Suggs and Scott all respect a man like Rex Ryan as a coach...Even after he's left their team for another AFC Team...Thats saying something.

Is it possible that we have the best defense in the AFCE?

As far as starters go? No doubt about it.

We have the best overall talent @ the LB positions with Pace, Harris, Scott, Thomas/Gholston

We have the best overall CB unit with Revis & Sheppard as our 1-2 Punch (Won't get much better than that) with Lowery as our Nickel back.

Rhodes is the best overall Safety in the AFC East and Jim Leonard was also a solid upgrade.

The Patriots have the better D-Line in the East, and thats ONLY because of Seymour but...The Jets match Wilfrok with Kris Jenkins and we also match Ty Warren with Shaun Ellis.

Will the Jets have the best AFC Defense here in 2009? Who knows, but as far as overall talent goes...The Jets have the most talent on the Defensive side of the ball when compared to any other AFC East team.

Archived