The Blitz

Smashmouth

One thing that shocked me yesterday was the lack of the blitz through the first 3 quarters of the game.

I noticed a stat that we had only blitzed 5 times heading into the 4th quarter. Now Its understandable we had to respect The Titan rushing Attack but I think we let Collins off the hook because when we did start to Blitz again Collins (who has always been bad aganist the pressure) went 0-13.

Personally I would have prefered us using the attack style defense from the start since we had a 14-0 lead. Lets see if you can break off a big run on us. By laying back we allowed Collins to have two very good drives where he was basicly untouched. Johnson may have had his big runs the first 2 games but he also is well known for getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage so the blitz can help in that respect as well. If he does break through we have some of the best tackling Safties in the game to fall back on.

I think its obvious we are at our best while in attack mode and we can disrupt our opponents offense in so many ways when we attack. I suspect Rex will go after Drew Brees this coming sunday in a big way. It will be a tough situation but the Bills proved this weekend that Drew Brees can be held in Check.

The Biggest Key here to take note of was that Rex Ryan made the Adjustment in the 4th Quarter that we have never made in the past. He went back to the Bread and Butter that won us the first 2 games of the season and he shut the Titans and Kerry Collins down. We are obviously not "the same old Jets"

One thing that shocked me yesterday was the lack of the blitz through the first 3 quarters of the game.

I noticed a stat that we had only blitzed 5 times heading into the 4th quarter. Now Its understandable we had to respect The Titan rushing Attack but I think we let Collins off the hook because when we did start to Blitz again Collins (who has always been bad aganist the pressure) went 0-13.

Personally I would have prefered us using the attack style defense from the start since we had a 14-0 lead. Lets see if you can break off a big run on us. By laying back we allowed Collins to have two very good drives where he was basicly untouched. Johnson may have had his big runs the first 2 games but he also is well known for getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage so the blitz can help in that respect as well. If he does break through we have some of the best tackling Safties in the game to fall back on.

I think its obvious we are at our best while in attack mode and we can disrupt our opponents offense in so many ways when we attack. I suspect Rex will go after Drew Brees this coming sunday in a big way. It will be a tough situation but the Bills proved this weekend that Drew Brees can be held in Check.

The Biggest Key here to take note of was that Rex Ryan made the Adjustment in the 4th Quarter that we have never made in the past. He went back to the Bread and Butter that won us the first 2 games of the season and he shut the Titans and Kerry Collins down. We are obviously not "the same old Jets"

Rex had said something in his post game conf. about dropping more guys in coverage because he thought the Titan...Oilers...whatever, would expect the heavy blitz. He said he realized in the second half that they would have to go back to the blitz because Collins looked too comfortable.

I agree with you. I would have liked to see more blitzing in the first half, but at least Rex is using his brain and making game-time adjustments when it counts. I am not too concerned with our D, but the rushing attack and pass protection better improve this week. This is a 66 million dollar pro-bowl o-line and they are not showing how good they can be.

Rex had said something in his post game conf. about dropping more guys in coverage because he thought the Titan...Oilers...whatever, would expect the heavy blitz. He said he realized in the second half that they would have to go back to the blitz because Collins looked too comfortable.

I agree with you. I would have liked to see more blitzing in the first half, but at least Rex is using his brain and making game-time adjustments when it counts. I am not too concerned with our D, but the rushing attack and pass protection better improve this week. This is a 66 million dollar pro-bowl o-line and they are not showing how good they can be.

i thin kour o-line is good. but i also think that too many people here overrated the sh*t out of them. they are not elite.....pretty good....yeah. great? not quite.

Yep keep in mind though the Titans are pretty stout on the D-Line they have a serious front 7 easily top 3 in the NFL. They are going to get to you at some points during the game. When you can rush 4 guys and create pressure you are very very tough to beat and Sanchez Beat them 3 times yesterday with Pressure on him which just made me smile.

We need a WR that will keep defenses honest. Remember last year we beat the titans with short quick passes why Shott did not do this with Sanchez is beyond me. It seemed Shott was trying to attack down the field a bit too much which made no sense vs this type of defense.

I don't understand the lack of blitzing either. Ten's receiving corps is about equal to or less than our talent and a lot of the passes Collins completed were surgeon like or our coverage would have stopped them. More, selective, blitzing would have helped out I think.

Archived