Glen 'Big Baby' Davis Fined $25,000 for Obscenity Towards Fan

Lil Bit Special

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/01/22/glen-big-baby-davis-fined-25-000-for-obscenity-towards-fan/

Glen Davis' nickname is "Big Baby" so it's not out of this world to assume that he has been teased about his weight in the past, particularly by opposing fans. However, when you're a professional athlete who's paid lots of money to participate in a high level gym class, you're required to take the high road and not respond when they say mean things.

Big Baby didn't do that recently, saying something that rhymes with "duck pie stick" ... and getting caught on camera in the process (requisite NSFW warning). Video (via Deadspin) below, followed by reactions from Doc Rivers and the league.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now, obviously, that's Chucky Atkins in the video -- but we know that Baby said the words that are overheard, because he admitted it:

I'm a tough competitor and I'm proud of the work I've done to get in shape and be at the top of my game. That said, I shouldn't have said what I did. My apologies to the fans and my teammates."

And because Rivers came out and acknowledged it, stating that "Glen Davis has to grow up."

Of course, Baby's other reaction could be: "If I'm not grown up, then how do I have the $25,000 in my bank account to pay the league's fine for yelling naughty words at fans? Huh?"

But that wouldn't be good for anyone, really; what would be smart would be to develop something like SMH (which stands for "shaking my head") so that grown men would be able to express their frustration in public without being chastised.

Or, alternately, Davis could just learn another language like Romanian and swear that way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=4850613

Glen Davis spoke to ESPN The Magazine's Louise K. Cornetta Friday night about his obscene comment directed at a fan during the Celtics' loss Wednesday to the Detroit Pistons.

Davis

"I shouldn't say those kind of words," Davis said. "Even though a fan says anything to me, I shouldn't say that. I've got to understand who's watching out there for the kids and the parents. It's just a bad thing to say. You're frustrated. You're mad. That's not what you're suppose to say. You're just supposed to play the game of basketball and don't worry about the fans; that's what they are there for. When a fan talks personal about you in an emotional game, you know, it kind of gets to you, but you can't let it get to you. That's what [fans are] there for, to get you unfocused and frustrated."

Asked about the $25,000 fine he faces from the NBA, Celtics coach Doc Rivers tried to bring a little lightheartedness to the situation.

"I don't know -- it was high," Rivers said. "I thought it was extreme, but I do understand. I mean, I get it. You just can't do what he did -- and get caught."

The joke elicited laughter, but Rivers got serious quickly.

"It's very difficult [to not react]," said Rivers. "Some of the things we hear in the crowd, it's amazing. There's been times when I stare up at the guy, hoping a menacing look will stop him and usually it doesn't. Usually the beer wins out. It is tough, but you have to [show restraint]. We know that. It's not like this is something new; it's been going on for quite a long time. They get on the player -- and they should -- but some of the stuff you hear, from some guy sitting next to his son, it's pretty embarrassing. That's the way I look at it.

Archived