Position-by-Position: Moves I'd like to see happen

Jetsfan80

This is a FAIL because you mentioned a buttload of FCS players and not a single one from FCS National Champion VILLANOVA... Ok, so most of Villanova's offense is coming back for another season, but we're graduating some defensive players...

C'mon!

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/22/villanova-prospects-take-steps-to-fulfilling-their-dream/

Notable:

S Ross Ventrone (198 pounds), Browns DB Ray Ventrone’s younger brother, had a great day. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds, had a 35 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 6.77-second three-cone drill and did 22 bench press repetitions at 225 pounds. These numbers would have placed him among the most athletic safeties at the NFL Scouting Combine.

He didn't get too many highlight opportunities on a run-heavy offense, but when he was given the chance, Harvey always got it done. The kid is the truth. Amazing hands.

WR Brandyn Harvey (6-foot-3, 201 pounds) had a 39-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 7-inch broad jump and ran the 40 in 4.60 seconds. He also displayed exceptional hands.

Excellent post!

Yes, it is.

Nice write up. There is some quality stuff here, but you write this much and I'm bound to disagree some.

First a couple of nitpicks. Howard Green and Marques Douglas are FAs. They might re-sign, but they are not currently on the roster. You don't have Lance Laury as an ILB. He'll most likely make the team as a STer and will take the roster spot formerly held by Izzo. Probably competition for Cummings and Fowler. There are other guys that are signed like WRs Allison and Henry.

I think you are way too liberal with your "cuts". I guess you are looking at the regular roster, but there is no reason to cut these guys for the UDFA you propose. That doesn't mean I have a problem with the guys you suggest, just that they should fight it out. I think the Jets are high on Pitoitua and will look to get him in the rotation. Clowney deserves a shot too. Sure these guys might not hit, but let them duke it out in camp. Besides everything else, somebody will get hurt.

If the Jets didn't have a veteran backup QB last year I see no reason for one this year. Any vet that can "save our season" will want too much money and probably cause too much dissension if Sanchez has a bad game. I think the Jets like O'Connell and probably rate him higher than Ainge.

I can't see staying pat at safety. Out of the starting 22 it is probably the easiest place to improve. Outside of a 3rd WR and DE to rotate with Devito it may be the weakest spot on the team. I expect them to spend a draft pick there. At a minimum I'd expect some priority UFA signing. I know we want hitters, but we need somebody that can cover too. Smith and Ihedigbo are not the best in coverage. Hopefully Pool can fill that role.

I see the point about FB, but I think quality players aren't necessarily going to last on the PS and they are probably only going to carry one. They seem to like Davis and there is little reason to believe that this year's practice squad player will be better than him. I wouldn't worry about Richardson retiring. There is a chance he'll be back and if he isn't, you can sign some other old geezer.

Archived