Position-by-Position: Moves I'd like to see happen

Jetsfan80

We have a lot of time left in this offseason, and at the moment I'm quite bored. So, I decided to go position-by-position and see where we might need help, with a "suggestion" as to what I'd like to see Mike Tannenbaum and co. do.

Note that I give Mike T. the benefit of the doubt on all moves, given his track record, and that if he doesn't do these things, its cool. Like I said, I'm bored. So here we go:

QB

Current:

1) Mark Sanchez

2) Kellen Clemens

3) Erik Ainge

4) Kevin O'Connell

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: O'Connell

TRADE: Clemens (if possible; if not, cut)

SIGN: Jeff Garcia

Rationale

While I might take some heat for wanting to cut/trade TWO quarterbacks on the roster, I feel that there is no need to carry 4. O'Connell is dead weight and Clemens, while not a terrible backup, is certainly less than desirable. He couldn't move the ball on the game's worst defense, Tampa Bay.

Enter Jeff Garcia. A journeyman with some mobility (similar to Sanchez) who can step right in and BE SUCCESSFUL if Sanchez goes down. Garcia was cut, so we have no restriction to signing him. This move would not be made to bring in a mentor to Mark, it would be to provide insurance.

RB

Current:

1) Shonn Greene

2) LaDainian Tomlinson

3) Leon Washington

4) Chauncey Washington

Move(s) I'd like to see

TRADE: Leon Washington (or allow to sign elsewhere and receive 2nd rounder)

DRAFT: LaMarcus Coker, Hampton (5th round or later)

Rationale

While I'd like to go into 2010 with the 4 backs listed, it seems that the Jets are dangling Leon as trade bait, and I can understand why. For one, he's not a young man anymore (27), and though he will likely fully recover from his injury, I can understand why getting compensation for Leon now rather than letting him walk after the 2010 season would be favorable, and would be fine with picking up a 2nd rounder or early-mid 3rd for him. Leon is one of my absolute favorite Jets, but its a business, and the constant change is why you root for the uniform, not the player.

Coker, a small school prospect, is a 5-11, 205 lbs. former Tennessee RB/KR (transferred to Hampton) who could adequately replace Leon in the depth chart. He is versatile, given that he can return kicks and is also a decent receiver out of the backfield. Also, don't sleep on Chauncey Washington being able to step right in if Greene or LT get hurt.

FB

Current:

1) Tony Richardson

Move(s) I'd like to see

DRAFT: Bobby McClintock, Portland State (7th round or UDFA)

Rationale

We Jets fans breathed a sigh of relief when veteran Tony Richardson decided to come back for at least 1 more season, but at 38, a future replacement needs to emerge. McClintock is a tenacious blocker and can be a servicable short-yardage option if need be. Much like Richardson, he's a bit undersized (5-10, 240 lbs.), and for this reason got passed over by bigger schools. He'd be a guy worth having, even if its on the practice squad.

WR

Current:

1) Braylon Edwards

2) Jerricho Cotchery

3) David Clowney

4) Brad Smith

5) Danny Woodhead

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: David Clowney

DRAFT: Jordan Shipley, Texas (2nd round or later)

Rationale

While the latest news has the Jets deciding to bring Clowney back, I simply don't see him sticking around if a better option can be found to replace him. If that happens to be Shipley as the new Jets slot receiver, I say, see ya. Shipley looks like a Wes Welker clone, and the best news of the offseason for teams looking at WR's were the poor 40 times nearly all the top prospects ran, including Shipley, to drive their draft stock down.

The Jets should use their 2nd rounder (or a 3rd if they acquire one) on Shipley for a couple important reasons. For one, the Jets appear to be making a commitment to the passing game. Trading up for Sanchez and trading for Edwards last season are proof of this. You need to at least have a CAPABLE passing game in today's NFL. The other reason is that the Jets cannot afford to go into next season with Clowney being the top option if one of the Jets' starting receivers gets hurt.

TE

Current:

1) Dustin Keller

2) Ben Hartsock

3) Matthew Mulligan

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: Mulligan

SIGN: Steve Heiden

RE-SIGN: James Dearth (UFA)

Rationale

Assuming the Jets address the WR position, another pass-catching TE becomes a luxury, not a need. Nevertheless, signing Heiden (recently cut by the Browns) couldn't hurt. Hartsock is basically useless in the passing game. In addition, the Jets should bring back long-snapper Dearth because he's given the Jets no reason to doubt his value over the years.

OT

Current:

1) D'Brickashaw Ferguson (LT)

2) Damien Woody (RT)

3) Wayne Hunter

4) Michael Turkovich

Move(s) I'd like to see

DRAFT: Kevin Haslam, OT, Rutgers (4th round or later)

Rationale

While Anthony Davis, the other Rutgers tackle, is getting most of the attention, Haslam is also possibly a top 20 tackle in the draft, and would make for a nice replacement to Woody at RT. He also has experience at LT and at guard, making him a nice versatile piece to add to Bill Callahan's arsenal.

OG

Current:

1) Alan Faneca (LG)

2) Brandon Moore (RG)

3) Robert Turner

4) Matt Slauson

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: Slauson

DRAFT: Kurtis Gregory, Missouri (6th round or later / UDFA)

Rationale

Gregory, a midwestern farmboy with a great work ethic, is the perfect project for Callahan. While used almost exclusively as a pass-blocker in Mizzou's scheme, he has the tools and versatility to be an NFL lineman. He can be a backup to any position on the line, having experience at tackle, guard, and center. If Faneca is gone after the 2010 season, he might make enough improvement to earn a starting job, especially if there's no 2011 season.

C

Current:

1) Nick Mangold

2) Turner

Move(s) I'd like to see

SIGN: Kyle Mutcher, Weber State (UDFA)

Rationale

The Jets don't need help at center, with Mangold being one of the best, but depth couldn't hurt. FCS All-American Mutcher would be a guy I'd love to see the Jets bring in. The 6-3, 300 pounder was part of some very successful offenses as a 4-year starter for Weber State out of the Big Sky.

DE

Current:

1) Shaun Ellis (LE)

2) Marques Douglas (RE)

3) Mike DeVito

4) Ropati Pitoitua

5) Rodrique Wright

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: Pitoitua

DRAFT: Alex Carrington, Arkansas State (2nd round or later)

Rationale

Drafting Carrington would only really be possible if the Jets are able to make another trade (such as Leon Washington), because otherwise they will not have the picks to get the Arkansas State 3-4 DE. IF the Jets do have the picks, this would be my choice with that compensation.

It's no secret that, with Ellis and Douglas long in the tooth, this is a bigtime need for the Jets, and with a less than desirable 3-4 DE crop, they'll have to dig just a little deeper. Carrington is a very strong bull-rusher who, despite getting double-teamed constantly, had 9 sacks and 14.5 TFL's in 2009.

NT

Current:

1) Kris Jenkins

2) Sione Pouha

3) Howard Green

Move(s) I'd like to see

DRAFT: Jay Ross, East Carolina (5th round or later / UDFA)

Rationale

While Pouha and Green were servicable as stop-gap replacements for the injured Kris Jenkins last season, the Jets can't afford to stand pat at the position. 6-3, 313 pounder Ross, while certainly not ideal, has nose tackle potential and would be a solid addition to the rotation.

OLB

Current:

1) Bryan Thomas (LOLB)

2) Calvin Pace (ROLB)

3) Vernon Gholston

4) Jamaal Westerman

Move(s) I'd like to see

SIGN: Matt Marcorelle, Delaware (UDFA)

Rationale

The Jets can't afford to do too much at the OLB position, what with so much money tied up into Calvin Pace and Vernon Gholston. Rex has already said he wants to give Gholston one more chance, primarily because he has no other choice. Still, Marcorelle looks like a nice sleeper who, if undrafted, would be an excellent pickup. Marcorelle is the classic college DE-turned OLB who would be fun to follow as he progresses under Rex and Mike Pettine.

ILB

Current:

1) Bart Scott

2) David Harris

3) Ryan Fowler

4) Kenwin Cummings

Move(s) I'd like to see

SIGN: Bear Woods, Troy (UDFA)

Rationale

Honestly, I don't have much explanation for bringing in Woods other than the fact that he has a great name, and produced for a highly successful FCS program. I don't know much else about him. All in all, the Jets are pretty set at the ILB position, and will probably only look at the UDFA crop to find some depth.

CB

Current:

1) Darrelle Revis

2) Antonio Cromartie

3) Dwight Lowery

4) Drew Coleman

5) Marquice Cole

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: Coleman

DRAFT: Patrick Robinson, Florida State (1st round or later)

Rationale

Don't get me wrong, bringing in Antonio Cromartie was a great move, and he appears to be the bonafide # 2 CB on this team. However, in a league that's slowly making 2-WR sets obsolete, the Jets absolutely should not consider themselves done at the CB position, which is why I believe they should still draft a corner with their first pick.

Cromartie was given to the Jets for a 2011 2nd or 3rd rounder, when there won't even be an NFL. Why? Because the Chargers got tired of them. The Chargers, who have been more lenient towards unruly behavior before, unloaded the same corner who had 10 INT's in 2007 for next to nothing. This should be a red flag just as much as it would be a red flag if Lowery is our # 3 corner next season. Robinson, while not a great tackler, does exactly what Rex would ask out of a nickle/# 2 corner: Cover your man so the exotic blitz packages work.

S

Current:

1) Jim Leonhard (SS)

2) Brodney Pool (FS)

3) Eric Smith

4) James Ihedigbo

Move(s) I'd like to see

NONE

Rationale

This is the one position on the field where I believe the Jets need no more help. With Cromartie as another solid cover corner opposite Revis and big distraction Kerry Rhodes gone, the Jets safeties can focus on what they do best: Hitting people. Pool can do it (when healthy), as can Leonhard, Smith and Ihedigbo.

The Jets may elect to bring in a UDFA safety or two as training camp fodder, but as I see it, these are the 4 safeties the Jets appear confident going to war in 2010 with, and I happen to agree.

K

Current:

1) Nick Folk

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: Folk

RE-SIGN: Jay Feely

Rationale

Look, I know Feely is a UFA and him signing elsewhere opens up the chance to sign another UFA in his place. However, I think Feely is the best kicker on the market, and if for some reason he does NOT sign elsewhere, the Jets should bring him back. You can do a lot worse than Feely, and though he's been "un-clutch" in his past, Folk has been downright dreadful not only in clutch situations, but chip shot opportunities in a dome no less.

P

Current:

1) Steve Weatherford

Move(s) I'd like to see

SIGN: Zoltan Mesko, Michigan (UDFA)

Rationale

Mesko finished off a solid career as a Wolverine with a 44.5 yard average as a senior, and would probably compete for the starting job with Weatherford. Hopefully he can also compete for KOS, too, since Folk was not the KOS with Dallas. Feely's biggest weakness is kickoffs if he is brought back as well.

KR/PR

Current:

1) Brad Smith

2) Leon Washington

3) Jim Leonhard

Move(s) I'd like to see

NONE

Rationale

Whether or not Leon is back next season, we're solid at the KR spot. Our coverage unit is another story, but I'm confident that we'll be making the right moves to improve one of our biggest weaknesses from 2009. As I alluded to earlier, bringing in a new KOS would help.

You were pretty much money on everything. I would like the Jeff Garcia signing. Brings in a vet to help out Sanchez. Bringing a FB late in the draft to learn from Richardson is also a good idea.

I also like the Shipley pick. We desperately need a slot receiver.

5th round pick for Anthony Montgomery.

No seriously, great breakdown. I like that you're not overrating the OLB need. I like Carrington, but I also think alot of guys could work. One name that could work is D'Anthony Smith. Then there's Arthur Jones, Oghobaase, and the gang of guys I didn't name.

I think we're looking for a future starter on the OL, and I'd like to see us draft a RT or OG too. I like Haslam.

Like Shipley, feel like he's another guy who'd be better in the 5th or later.

Still, really nice breakdown. I'd like to attack our DL need. Something like Montgomery (NT/DE) or Cody as a young big man to build Rex's future DL around, and a complimentary end to replace Ellis...my favorite if we went that route would be Corey Wootton. Carrington fits that mold, but I like Wootton's upside more.

My dream draft with our current picks would look something like this:

1: Cody

2: Wootton

4: Greg Hardy

5: Joshua Moore

6: Blair White

7: Zoltan Mesko

As it stands right now, I would love for the Jets to take a DL or WR in the 1st round. Not to say that I would rule out an OLB (Jerry Hughes), FS (Earl Thomas), or even an OL (Iupati/Pouncey), but someone like Jared Odrick, Terrence Cody, or Golden Tate would be nice.

For ease, here's what our NEW depth chart would look like if things went the way I said in the first post (newcomers in bold):

NOTE: This would leave us with a surplus of players (60, 7 too many), meaning additional cuts would be needed among this group.

QB

1) Mark Sanchez

2) Jeff Garcia

3) Erik Ainge

RB

1) Shonn Greene

2) LaDainian Tomlinson

3) LaMarcus Coker

4) Chauncey Washington

FB

1) Tony Richardson

2) Bobby McClintock

WR

1) Braylon Edwards

2) Jerricho Cotchery

3) Jordan Shipley

4) Brad Smith

5) Danny Woodhead

TE

1) Dustin Keller

2) Ben Hartsock

3) Steve Heiden

4) James Dearth

LT

1) D'Brickashaw Ferguson

2) Wayne Hunter

3) Michael Turkovich

LG

1) Alan Faneca

2) Kurtis Gregory

C

1) Nick Mangold

2) Kyle Mutcher

RG

1) Brandon Moore

2) Robert Turner

RT

1) Damien Woody

2) Kevin Haslam

LE

1) Shaun Ellis

2) Mike DeVito

3) Rodrique Wright

RE

1) Alex Carrington

2) Marques Douglas

NT

1) Kris Jenkins

2) Sione Pouha

3) Jay Ross

4) Howard Green

LOLB

1) Bryan Thomas

2) Jamaal Westerman

ROLB

1) Calvin Pace

2) Vernon Gholston

3) Matt Marcorelle

ILB

1) Bart Scott

2) David Harris

3) Ryan Fowler

4) Kenwin Cummings

5) Bear Woods

CB

1) Darrelle Revis

2) Antonio Cromartie

3) Patrick Robinson

4) Dwight Lowery

5) Marquise Cole

FS

1) Brodney Pool

2) Eric Smith

SS

1) Jim Leonhard

2) James Ihedigbo

K

1) Jay Feely

P

1) Steve Weatherford

2) Zoltan Mesko

KR/PR

1) Smith

2) Leonhard

Everything looks very good and actually very reasonable, but I just dont get this enfactuation with Garcia there is a reason he was not on an NFL roster last year in a league with guys like Kellen Clemens, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Charlie Frye, ect... all seeing action as QB's last year. Garcia is 40 years old and over the hill not to mention a locker room cancer bringing him in would be the worst possible move for the Jets and Sanchez, and if they were willing to make it available in the Gambling forum I would put every penny of vCash that he will not be on an NFL roster again this year.

I'm big on letting the draft play out. I think DE and WR are bigger needs than CB, but those are the three positions that I'd expect the Jets selecting their BAP from in the first two rounds. I'm in favor of the team moving Leon, and/or trading down to get another pick in this draft.

I doubt they see O'Connell as deadweight. They wanted him badly enough to spend a 7th round pick on him and carry four QB's last year. I'd like to see the Jets bring in a vet and trim back to 3 QB's, too, but I'm no fan of the Garcia idea. The man's old, was out of football last year, and never really had much of an arm to begin with. I'm hoping someone like Bulger comes free.

I like the idea of bringing in another TE. Don't know much about Heiden, wouldn't mind them spending a draft pick on the position. We have no receiving depth behind Keller. If he was hurt for any period of time, a pass catching TE would not be a luxury at all.

I like getting the UFA slot for Feely. If no one signs him, then I guess they can think about bringing him back. I'd expect a UDFA in here to compete with Folk at a minimum.

Jets could use some special team help. Rather than selecting two OL and two DL, I'd expect them to be looking at guys specifically for ST's late - going BAP if the linemen present the better value, but with a clear eye on ST needs. OLB, S, maybe even another WR.

Tim Tebow is going to be our white knight. Not because I think we should take him, because someone is going to trade up for him ahead of minny. We're going to recoup another second rounder and maybe a late one this year or next.

I think we are going to trade for Marshall, but we will use one of our second rounders.

I think we go DE or O line with our first pick whether it's in the first or second round.

I think almost everything you wrote looks real good.

Everything looks very good and actually very reasonable, but I just dont get this enfactuation with Garcia there is a reason he was not on an NFL roster last year in a league with guys like Kellen Clemens, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Charlie Frye, ect... all seeing action as QB's last year. Garcia is 40 years old and over the hill not to mention a locker room cancer bringing him in would be the worst possible move for the Jets and Sanchez, and if they were willing to make it available in the Gambling forum I would put every penny of vCash that he will not be on an NFL roster again this year.

If a better QB, such as Bulger or Kerry Collins, comes on the market, I'd go for one of them in a heartbeat. Until then, Garcia seems like the best fit if we're looking for a veteran QB.

If a better QB, such as Bulger or Kerry Collins, comes on the market, I'd go for one of them in a heartbeat. Until then, Garcia seems like the best fit if we're looking for a veteran QB.

The problem with Garcia is he wants to START! That is why he was cut by the Raiders, he did not want to be a back up and mentor a young QB!

The problem with Garcia is he wants to START! That is why he was cut by the Raiders, he did not want to be a back up and mentor a young QB!

If he wants a job in the NFL he'll have to be a backup. We don't need him here to mentor Sanchez. He doesn't even have to get along with the guy. Just be ready to go if he gets hurt.

We have a lot of time left in this offseason, and at the moment I'm quite bored. So, I decided to go position-by-position and see where we might need help, with a "suggestion" as to what I'd like to see Mike Tannenbaum and co. do.

Note that I give Mike T. the benefit of the doubt on all moves, given his track record, and that if he doesn't do these things, its cool. Like I said, I'm bored. So here we go:

QB

Current:

1) Mark Sanchez

2) Kellen Clemens

3) Erik Ainge

4) Kevin O'Connell

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: O'Connell

TRADE: Clemens (if possible; if not, cut)

SIGN: Jeff Garcia

Rationale

While I might take some heat for wanting to cut/trade TWO quarterbacks on the roster, I feel that there is no need to carry 4. O'Connell is dead weight and Clemens, while not a terrible backup, is certainly less than desirable. He couldn't move the ball on the game's worst defense, Tampa Bay.

Enter Jeff Garcia. A journeyman with some mobility (similar to Sanchez) who can step right in and BE SUCCESSFUL if Sanchez goes down. Garcia was cut, so we have no restriction to signing him. This move would not be made to bring in a mentor to Mark, it would be to provide insurance.

RB

Current:

1) Shonn Greene

2) LaDainian Tomlinson

3) Leon Washington

4) Chauncey Washington

Move(s) I'd like to see

TRADE: Leon Washington (or allow to sign elsewhere and receive 2nd rounder)

DRAFT: LaMarcus Coker, Hampton (5th round or later)

Rationale

While I'd like to go into 2010 with the 4 backs listed, it seems that the Jets are dangling Leon as trade bait, and I can understand why. For one, he's not a young man anymore (27), and though he will likely fully recover from his injury, I can understand why getting compensation for Leon now rather than letting him walk after the 2010 season would be favorable, and would be fine with picking up a 2nd rounder or early-mid 3rd for him. Leon is one of my absolute favorite Jets, but its a business, and the constant change is why you root for the uniform, not the player.

Coker, a small school prospect, is a 5-11, 205 lbs. former Tennessee RB/KR (transferred to Hampton) who could adequately replace Leon in the depth chart. He is versatile, given that he can return kicks and is also a decent receiver out of the backfield. Also, don't sleep on Chauncey Washington being able to step right in if Greene or LT get hurt.

FB

Current:

1) Tony Richardson

Move(s) I'd like to see

DRAFT: Bobby McClintock, Portland State (7th round or UDFA)

Rationale

We Jets fans breathed a sigh of relief when veteran Tony Richardson decided to come back for at least 1 more season, but at 38, a future replacement needs to emerge. McClintock is a tenacious blocker and can be a servicable short-yardage option if need be. Much like Richardson, he's a bit undersized (5-10, 240 lbs.), and for this reason got passed over by bigger schools. He'd be a guy worth having, even if its on the practice squad.

WR

Current:

1) Braylon Edwards

2) Jerricho Cotchery

3) David Clowney

4) Brad Smith

5) Danny Woodhead

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: David Clowney

DRAFT: Jordan Shipley, Texas (2nd round or later)

Rationale

While the latest news has the Jets deciding to bring Clowney back, I simply don't see him sticking around if a better option can be found to replace him. If that happens to be Shipley as the new Jets slot receiver, I say, see ya. Shipley looks like a Wes Welker clone, and the best news of the offseason for teams looking at WR's were the poor 40 times nearly all the top prospects ran, including Shipley, to drive their draft stock down.

The Jets should use their 2nd rounder (or a 3rd if they acquire one) on Shipley for a couple important reasons. For one, the Jets appear to be making a commitment to the passing game. Trading up for Sanchez and trading for Edwards last season are proof of this. You need to at least have a CAPABLE passing game in today's NFL. The other reason is that the Jets cannot afford to go into next season with Clowney being the top option if one of the Jets' starting receivers gets hurt.

TE

Current:

1) Dustin Keller

2) Ben Hartsock

3) Matthew Mulligan

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: Mulligan

SIGN: Steve Heiden

RE-SIGN: James Dearth (UFA)

Rationale

Assuming the Jets address the WR position, another pass-catching TE becomes a luxury, not a need. Nevertheless, signing Heiden (recently cut by the Browns) couldn't hurt. Hartsock is basically useless in the passing game. In addition, the Jets should bring back long-snapper Dearth because he's given the Jets no reason to doubt his value over the years.

OT

Current:

1) D'Brickashaw Ferguson (LT)

2) Damien Woody (RT)

3) Wayne Hunter

4) Michael Turkovich

Move(s) I'd like to see

DRAFT: Kevin Haslam, OT, Rutgers (4th round or later)

Rationale

While Anthony Davis, the other Rutgers tackle, is getting most of the attention, Haslam is also possibly a top 20 tackle in the draft, and would make for a nice replacement to Woody at RT. He also has experience at LT and at guard, making him a nice versatile piece to add to Bill Callahan's arsenal.

OG

Current:

1) Alan Faneca (LG)

2) Brandon Moore (RG)

3) Robert Turner

4) Matt Slauson

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: Slauson

DRAFT: Kurtis Gregory, Missouri (6th round or later / UDFA)

Rationale

Gregory, a midwestern farmboy with a great work ethic, is the perfect project for Callahan. While used almost exclusively as a pass-blocker in Mizzou's scheme, he has the tools and versatility to be an NFL lineman. He can be a backup to any position on the line, having experience at tackle, guard, and center. If Faneca is gone after the 2010 season, he might make enough improvement to earn a starting job, especially if there's no 2011 season.

C

Current:

1) Nick Mangold

2) Turner

Move(s) I'd like to see

SIGN: Kyle Mutcher, Weber State (UDFA)

Rationale

The Jets don't need help at center, with Mangold being one of the best, but depth couldn't hurt. FCS All-American Mutcher would be a guy I'd love to see the Jets bring in. The 6-3, 300 pounder was part of some very successful offenses as a 4-year starter for Weber State out of the Big Sky.

DE

Current:

1) Shaun Ellis (LE)

2) Marques Douglas (RE)

3) Mike DeVito

4) Ropati Pitoitua

5) Rodrique Wright

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: Pitoitua

DRAFT: Alex Carrington, Arkansas State (2nd round or later)

Rationale

Drafting Carrington would only really be possible if the Jets are able to make another trade (such as Leon Washington), because otherwise they will not have the picks to get the Arkansas State 3-4 DE. IF the Jets do have the picks, this would be my choice with that compensation.

It's no secret that, with Ellis and Douglas long in the tooth, this is a bigtime need for the Jets, and with a less than desirable 3-4 DE crop, they'll have to dig just a little deeper. Carrington is a very strong bull-rusher who, despite getting double-teamed constantly, had 9 sacks and 14.5 TFL's in 2009.

NT

Current:

1) Kris Jenkins

2) Sione Pouha

3) Howard Green

Move(s) I'd like to see

Rationale

While Pouha and Green were servicable as stop-gap replacements for the injured Kris Jenkins last season, the Jets can't afford to stand pat at the position. 6-3, 313 pounder Ross, while certainly not ideal, has nose tackle potential and would be a solid addition to the rotation.

OLB

Current:

1) Bryan Thomas (LOLB)

2) Calvin Pace (ROLB)

3) Vernon Gholston

4) Jamaal Westerman

Move(s) I'd like to see

SIGN: Matt Marcorelle, Delaware (UDFA)

Rationale

The Jets can't afford to do too much at the OLB position, what with so much money tied up into Calvin Pace and Vernon Gholston. Rex has already said he wants to give Gholston one more chance, primarily because he has no other choice. Still, Marcorelle looks like a nice sleeper who, if undrafted, would be an excellent pickup. Marcorelle is the classic college DE-turned OLB who would be fun to follow as he progresses under Rex and Mike Pettine.

ILB

Current:

1) Bart Scott

2) David Harris

3) Ryan Fowler

4) Kenwin Cummings

Move(s) I'd like to see

SIGN: Bear Woods, Troy (UDFA)

Rationale

Honestly, I don't have much explanation for bringing in Woods other than the fact that he has a great name, and produced for a highly successful FCS program. I don't know much else about him. All in all, the Jets are pretty set at the ILB position, and will probably only look at the UDFA crop to find some depth.

CB

Current:

1) Darrelle Revis

2) Antonio Cromartie

3) Dwight Lowery

4) Drew Coleman

5) Marquice Cole

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: Coleman

DRAFT: Patrick Robinson, Florida State (1st round or later)

Rationale

Don't get me wrong, bringing in Antonio Cromartie was a great move, and he appears to be the bonafide # 2 CB on this team. However, in a league that's slowly making 2-WR sets obsolete, the Jets absolutely should not consider themselves done at the CB position, which is why I believe they should still draft a corner with their first pick.

Cromartie was given to the Jets for a 2011 2nd or 3rd rounder, when there won't even be an NFL. Why? Because the Chargers got tired of them. The Chargers, who have been more lenient towards unruly behavior before, unloaded the same corner who had 10 INT's in 2007 for next to nothing. This should be a red flag just as much as it would be a red flag if Lowery is our # 3 corner next season. Robinson, while not a great tackler, does exactly what Rex would ask out of a nickle/# 2 corner: Cover your man so the exotic blitz packages work.

S

Current:

1) Jim Leonhard (SS)

2) Brodney Pool (FS)

3) Eric Smith

4) James Ihedigbo

Move(s) I'd like to see

NONE

Rationale

This is the one position on the field where I believe the Jets need no more help. With Cromartie as another solid cover corner opposite Revis and big distraction Kerry Rhodes gone, the Jets safeties can focus on what they do best: Hitting people. Pool can do it (when healthy), as can Leonhard, Smith and Ihedigbo.

The Jets may elect to bring in a UDFA safety or two as training camp fodder, but as I see it, these are the 4 safeties the Jets appear confident going to war in 2010 with, and I happen to agree.

K

Current:

1) Nick Folk

Move(s) I'd like to see

CUT: Folk

RE-SIGN: Jay Feely

Rationale

Look, I know Feely is a UFA and him signing elsewhere opens up the chance to sign another UFA in his place. However, I think Feely is the best kicker on the market, and if for some reason he does NOT sign elsewhere, the Jets should bring him back. You can do a lot worse than Feely, and though he's been "un-clutch" in his past, Folk has been downright dreadful not only in clutch situations, but chip shot opportunities in a dome no less.

P

Current:

1) Steve Weatherford

Move(s) I'd like to see

SIGN: Zoltan Mesko, Michigan (UDFA)

Rationale

Mesko finished off a solid career as a Wolverine with a 44.5 yard average as a senior, and would probably compete for the starting job with Weatherford. Hopefully he can also compete for KOS, too, since Folk was not the KOS with Dallas. Feely's biggest weakness is kickoffs if he is brought back as well.

KR/PR

Current:

1) Brad Smith

2) Leon Washington

3) Jim Leonhard

Move(s) I'd like to see

NONE

Rationale

Whether or not Leon is back next season, we're solid at the KR spot. Our coverage unit is another story, but I'm confident that we'll be making the right moves to improve one of our biggest weaknesses from 2009. As I alluded to earlier, bringing in a new KOS would help.

No way i want Garcia. He is not the mentoring type.

I would like to bring in a vet but he has to be the right vet. I would love to move Clemens as i don't see him as a solid b/u.

I'd also like to see O'connell and Ainge get some good reps in preseason and maybe show something on the field to garner some interest from another team.

Slausen shouldn't be cut because he hasn't had enough time for us to see what he's got.

WR- I'd love to move BE in a swap for Marshall or trade a pick for BM and move BE for a 2nd and possibly the slot reciever we need.

Secondary-We need more depth especially at safety with Poole being a big ? with his concussion history.

RB-Love to see us draft a guy in the 2nd to lock down the position for the long run. SG only played half a season and had some nagging injuries that kept him off the field. With his running style i think he could be banged up a lot ala Brandon Jacobs of the Giants.

LT is here 2 years at the most so he's not a long term answer and LW is another ? so a RB with return skills would be nice.

NT

Current:

1) Kris Jenkins

2) Sione Pouha

3) Howard Green

Move(s) I'd like to see

Rationale

While I wouldnt be upset with drafting a NT for depth or to eventually replace Big Jenk. Me thinks Pouha was more than servicable. He was damn good in replace of Big Jenk. Remember...most of us thought without Big Jenk, this D would be a joke.

While I wouldnt be upset with drafting a NT for depth or to eventually replace Big Jenk. Me thinks Pouha was more than servicable. He was damn good in replace of Big Jenk. Remember...most of us thought without Big Jenk, this D would be a joke.

We had the #1 defense... without Jenkins. Without Jenkins! WHOA!

It's almost hard to remember that he was even ON this team considering how long he was out.

When you think about it, we are "adding" Jenkins to the #1 defense in the league. Even beyond his prime, that's craaaaaaaazy!!!

PUMPED UP FOR 2011!!!!

No to cutting O'Connell -- get rid of Ainge first, or just get rid of Clemens and stick with the trio of Sanchise-O'Connell-Ainge. Garcia didn't want to be a back-up last year, and stayed out of the NFL to prove his point. Doubt he comes back to be one in 2010.

Definite yes to Shipley.

Definite yes to Patrick Robinson.

Definite yes to ZOLTAN! Mesko, but doubt he isn't drafted. He'll go in the 7th, maybe the 6th.

I'd like to keep Folk, let Feely walk. The ATL and IND games speak enough for me. Folk younger, stronger leg, had one bad year, give him a second chance in a new city.

BTW, Ryan Fowler is currently a UFA. We need to improve the ILB position a bit more than you say in your post.

I agree that Pouha played very well, much better than most Jets fans thought he would play, but he is going to be 31 before the season starts, as is Jenkins, and Pouha can switch over to DE. Wouldn't hurt to get a NT to groom.

Gregory, a midwestern farmboy with a great work ethic, is the perfect project for Callahan.

Putting aside the fact that cutting a 6th-round pick after one season to make room for another 6th-round pick at the same position is a lateral move at best, Slauson actually played for Callahan at Nebraska, which I would think makes him a more appealing project.

JF80,

Awesome job. Very thorough. If I had to break down your post, position-by-position... I would say:

QB:

I too fail to see the logic in keeping two similar rookie types (Ainge and O'Connell) on the roster with Clemens. I would like to see Clemens moved somehow (via trade or release) and have one of the two rooks moved (magically) to the IR. As for signing Garcia, I'm a huge fan of his and think he would benefit the team should Mark go down.

RB:

I agree, trade Leon for a 2nd. Word on the street is he's unhappy with his tender and will skip voluntary workouts. I would rather have another bowling-ball on roster to team with Chauncey Washington and Greene. If we're going to have a smash-mouth philosophy, we need to have smash-mouth type depth. Greene suffered a lot of injuries from his physical running style, if we're going to continue with that philosophy we're going to need the staff to support it.

My favorite move, Ben Tate in the 3rd.

**my draft scenario has us trading down into the second round for team to nab McCoy. This recoups us a 3rd round pick.

FB:

Your suggestion seems uneccessary. We have Jason Davis (5'10, 242) on roster... he's been learning from T-Rich for a year, knows our offense, and won't cost a draft pick.

WR:

Kirwan's latest mock draft has Dex Bryant falling to the Jets at #29. Other buzz reports have us interested in Arrelius Benn, and we've been linked to Golden Tate. I think depending on where we add talent, we might let go of Clowney or Woodhead, based on our need to replace an outside guy or a slot reciever. Anyway you slice it, Clowney and Woodhead are both finger-crossers for this team, and could be upgraded with better talent through the draft.

TE:

We don't need a balanced TE for this offense, we have pass-catching Keller and our blocking, false-stHartock on roster. Making moves for another TE is luxury at this point.

OL:

I like where we're at with Hunter, Turner, Turchovich and Slauson. I could see the benefit of adding a higher round draft pick to add better quality depth, but see no utility in adding additional late round fodder of like-talent to this bunch.

DL:

I like Potty. I think he'll develop into what a lot of us are expecting out of a drafted rookie DE. Carrington may be a nice prospect, but I haven't seen any film on him, so I can't comment. I think signing a big-fat-fatty would help this team immensely. As would a player like Odrick to play the Seymour end position. As it stands we need to resign Douglass. If we do, having him backed up by Devito and Pouha should be sufficient depth. Getting Jinx back this year should provide ample upgrade to our DL unit. I'd like to sign a guy to keep him fresh through a rotation.

OLB:

You have Westermann listed as depth here, but I thought he moved inside and out. That being said, if a Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham fell to us, you'd have to think we'd spend some time considering their spot on our team.

ILB:

Fowler is an UFA, aside from him we have the two studs (Harris and Scott) and Westermann. On paper that should make for enough depth.

DB:

I think Pool is more of a nickle back/safety type. I'd like to see us draft a hard-hitting safety in the Rodney Harrison mold to intimidate recievers. Not drafting depth for a position with a concussion prone safety would be a horrible decision in my opinion. As for CB. I agree Coleman has had his time to prove his worth. He hasn't. But I dislike Patrick Robinson. He's fast, but he's smallish. I'd much rather have an instintive Perrrish Cox or a fiesty Devon McCourty.

K:

Keep Feely.

Ditch Folk.

Feely was our best ST tackler in three games last year, and he can kick-off and punt in a pinch. We need guys with his versatility. hopefully his outspoken political views aren't hurting his lockerroom persona.

Putting aside the fact that cutting a 6th-round pick after one season to make room for another 6th-round pick at the same position is a lateral move at best, Slauson actually played for Callahan at Nebraska, which I would think makes him a more appealing project.

I was not aware that Slauson played for Callahan. Still, extra depth couldn't hurt. Hopefully by some chance Gregory doesn't get drafted.

5th round pick for Anthony Montgomery.

No seriously, great breakdown. I like that you're not overrating the OLB need. I like Carrington, but I also think alot of guys could work. One name that could work is D'Anthony Smith. Then there's Arthur Jones, Oghobaase, and the gang of guys I didn't name.

I think we're looking for a future starter on the OL, and I'd like to see us draft a RT or OG too. I like Haslam.

Like Shipley, feel like he's another guy who'd be better in the 5th or later.

Still, really nice breakdown. I'd like to attack our DL need. Something like Montgomery (NT/DE) or Cody as a young big man to build Rex's future DL around, and a complimentary end to replace Ellis...my favorite if we went that route would be Corey Wootton. Carrington fits that mold, but I like Wootton's upside more.

My dream draft with our current picks would look something like this:

1: Cody

2: Wootton

4: Greg Hardy

5: Joshua Moore

6: Blair White

7: Zoltan Mesko

Cody in the 1st is one of those picks that if it works is an act of genius. If it doesn’t everyone is going to think how could they be so stupid? Risky pick

Hardy in the 4th is another one. That one I think has a fair chance to happen. Hardy is in free fall right now. He is probably the most natural pass rusher in the draft, but what a bone head. Coming to the combine at 281?

If he is there I’d make the pick

I'm not down for Garcia. Our "need" for a veteran QB is overrated as heck IMO.

Do you feel secure with Clemens in the game if Sanchez goes down? If he'd faced anyone but Tampa Bay in relief for Mark last season, he loses the game and we don't make the playoffs. I'm not saying we need to go crazy and give up a draft pick for one, but picking up Garcia or another QB that gets cut would be nice.

Do you feel secure with Clemens in the game if Sanchez goes down? If he'd faced anyone but Tampa Bay in relief for Mark last season, he loses the game and we don't make the playoffs. I'm not saying we need to go crazy and give up a draft pick for one, but picking up Garcia or another QB that gets cut would be nice.

Sure...Throwing out a fake hypothetical situation and setting the results to what you want them to be doesn't really prove that Clemens can't handle being an NFL backup.

I also like Erik Ainge quite a bit too. O'Connell is somewhat interesting, but he's got tiny hands.

I think QB is pretty much set, unless someone actually gave up a 2nd for Clemens.

I'm not down for Garcia. Our "need" for a veteran QB is overrated as heck IMO.

I'm not sure about Garcia myself, especially his deisre to start. However, I agree with 80 - I can't stand the thought of Clemens or Ainge coming into a game. It won't be that hard to find a veteren QB better than those two off the scrap heap.

Sure...Throwing out a fake hypothetical situation and setting the results to what you want them to be doesn't really prove that Clemens can't handle being an NFL backup.

I also like Erik Ainge quite a bit too. O'Connell is somewhat interesting, but he's got tiny hands.

I think QB is pretty much set, unless someone actually gave up a 2nd for Clemens.

Did you watch Clemens against Tampa? He had a full week to prepare against one of the worst D's in the league and still managed to look totally lost and play poorly. How many years has he been in the league now? You would expect him to show a little more than even as a back up.

Did you watch Clemens against Tampa? He had a full week to prepare against one of the worst D's in the league and still managed to look totally lost and play poorly. How many years has he been in the league now? You would expect him to show a little more than even as a back up.

1. Yes, it was one game.

2. 4 years.

3. We won.

4. We could do alot worse at backup friggin QB. Sanchez getting hurt this early in his career would suck, but the eggs at the QB position are in his basket and his basket alone right now.

1. Yes, it was one game.

2. 4 years.

3. We won.

4. We could do alot worse at backup friggin QB. Sanchez getting hurt this early in his career would suck, but the eggs at the QB position are in his basket and his basket alone right now.

At least with a decent veteran QB like Garcia, Kerry Collins, or Marc Bulger our season wouldn't be completely lost. It would be with Clemens in there. He's worthless.

1. Yes, it was one game.

2. 4 years.

3. We won.

1. Tell me the last time he has looked good in any game.

2. Exactly - he should be showing something after 4 years, and hasn't.

3. The D and our running game won it - not anything Clemens did. We would have won that game if I was at QB.

4. Really? If you try hard enough I suppose. But it's just as easy to find someone better. Clemens couldn't even beat out Penny who is now a back up himself (and Clemems still wouldn't beat him out now).

I'm not saying this is the most important move that has to be made. I am saying it's a position that can be easily upgraded without using a draft pick and not paying a lot of money.

You're both arguing the same point.

We need a veteran who has (more and better) game-time experience than Clemens, should Sanchez go down. However, I like having O'Connel and Ainge on roster, moreso than any late round prospect we would find in this year's draft. I see no difference between them or say a Dan LeFeuvor or Tony Pike.

Archived