Rich Gannon mentoring Sanchez: Update

rick34125

Rich Gannon was on Sirius Radio with Adam Schein per Twitter:

@AdamSchein

• blitz co-host rich gannon has been working with mark sanchez the last 2 days. he joins us on the phone now to talk about it. 35 minutes ago via web

• sanchez was last in afc in 3rd down passing. gannon spent a lot of time talking to sanchez about getting in early and studying. 33 minutes ago via web

• great stuff from gannon. sanchez needs to make sure braylon runs the right routes, needs to work on location and get completion % up to 63%. 21 minutes ago via web

• rich very impressed with how coachable sanchez is and how he takes criticism from staff. loves his ability to work and lead. 20 minutes ago via web

Did anyone hear the program? Anything else to add? Anyone know how long Gannon will be mentoring Sanchez and what specifically he'll be helping him with?

He was awesome on 3rd downs in his first game, I don't know what happened after that.

A lot of it falls to the coaches (Schottenheimer), IMHO. They never let him get into a rhythm, and then when third down came he was expected to his hit receivers. They need to throw a lot more on first & second down this year.

Sanchez' comp % was poor last year. He gets that up, he could have championship caliber numbers. They're focusing on the right things.

A lot of it falls to the coaches (Schottenheimer), IMHO. They never let him get into a rhythm, and then when third down came he was expected to his hit receivers. They need to throw a lot more on first & second down this year.

Sanchez' comp % was poor last year. He gets that up, he could have championship caliber numbers. They're focusing on the right things.

Very true.

It would definitely appear that they're more focused on the pass this year.

He was awesome on 3rd downs in his first game, I don't know what happened after that.

That is what happened after that. Third down plays have a lot of explanatory value because they're high-leverage but little predictive value because they're low-volume. The Texans game wasn't clutch, it was just lucky. And in point of fact, he really wasn't all that great anyway. He made a bunch of Chad throws and Houston forgot how to tackle.

That is what happened after that. Third down plays have a lot of explanatory value because they're high-leverage but little predictive value because they're low-volume. The Texans game wasn't clutch, it was just lucky. And in point of fact, he really wasn't all that great anyway. He made a bunch of Chad throws and Houston forgot how to tackle.

This sounds like a word problem. :-k

Give me a minute, when I figure out which of those sentences is just filler it will be a lot easier to answer. I could never remember which formula to use for these. Damn.

It came from just trying to force things way too much. After running on and first and second down and getting nothing, Sanchez was putting way too much pressure on himself, especially during the middle of the season. The vast majority of his interceptions came on those third downs when he was just trying to make a play. All of those pics add up and are the first thing to completely ruin those numbers. By season's end / the playoffs that appeared to have been worked out, so hopefully it will carry forward.

Archived