Mangold May not attend Mini Camp

flgreen

Nick Mangold may not attend New York Jets' minicamp next week due to contract dispute

By Manish Mehta

Daily News Sports Writer

Thursday, June 10th 2010, 2:44 PM

alg_jets.jpg Boehm/Getty

Center Nick Mangold may skip New York Jets' mandatory minicamp next week because he wants a new deal.

<LI class="inform-logo-related last">

Nick Mangold may be a no-show for the Jets' minicamp next week.

The All-Pro center said he was "50-50" to attend next week's three-day mandatory minicamp. He'd be subject to a fine if he decided to skip the sessions.

Mangold, who is entering the final year of his five-year rookie contract, admitted that skipping minicamp "is always a consideration." He's also fully aware that the Jets could slap the franchise tag on him next year rather than extend him this season.

"That definitely is a possibility that they could say, 'Hey, we're going to let you play through and franchise you later,'" Mangold told the Daily News. "I think that will put a sour taste in my mouth that they'll let me play it out without the security of having years on my contract. I think that would be a disappointing way for the relationship to continue on."

"I wouldn't put it past them to do it," Mangold added. "But we'll cross that bridge if it gets to that."

In an ideal world, Mangold, arguable the best player at his position, would received money comparable to Rams' center Jason Brown's monster deal last year.

"It's not quantum physics," Mangold said. "I assume this is just the way that it goes. You battle it out as needed."

Although David Harris insisted that he's not thinking about his new contract - the linebacker is in the final year of his rookie contract too - Mangold left little doubt that it's on his mind.

"Of course, I think about it," Mangold said. "I got a short career. It's always on the back of my mind. It's been on the back of my mind since February when they said, there's x, y and z why weren't not doing it."

The center also said the contract talks have taken some of the fun out of the game this offseason.

"It takes a little bit out," Mangodl said. "I don't want to have to deal with it. I'm forced into dealing with it. It's kind of a pain."

I have never seen a group of guys that have yet to win more than 9 or 10 games in a season feel so entitled... crazy.

He's the best center in the game. Oh, and the one guy that was the biggest reason we only won 9 (Sanchez) is already getting paid handsomely. Is it wrong that a guy who helped get the Jets to an AFC Title game for the first time since 1998 has a sense of entitlement?

I have no problem with Nick and the other 3 core players trying to get paid; its not like your window to get solid guaranteed money is very large in the NFL, and if any of them get hurt, they're screwed.

Archived