Joe Klecko ~ ~ ~

kelly

Speed Dial : Most grueling game

June, 26, 2010 - by Tim Graham

Let's have another "Speed Dial," where I call three people from my Rolodex to get their insight on a particular subject.

Today's question : After watching John Isner and Nicolas Mahut play their epic, 11-hour Wimbledon match, "What do you recall from the most grueling game you played in ?"

~ ~ Former New York Jets defensive lineman Joe Klecko on a 1983 game against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Shea Stadium:

"It was a knock down, drag out. It was a game they had to win, and we were hoping to win to get into the playoffs. The Steelers were a bruising team. They were the kind of team that when you woke up on Monday morning, you knew you were in a war. I remember the game being extra heavy because of who they were. We were a young team and up and coming, but we didn't really know where we were yet. This was a big test for us.

"I faced Mike Webster all game. I didn't get a break anywhere I went. I remember going into the complex for ice baths for two days. It was the toughest game I've ever been in. You don't recover for a couple weeks, and if you play a smash-mouth game two weeks in a row, it would take its toll. A game like that, it's a two- or three-week recovery."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/14723/speed-dial-most-grueling-game

Archived