Broadway Joe likes Jets chances for Super Bowl

Kentucky Jet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Namath says Super Bowl talk is 'justified' for New York Jets LOGIN REGISTER Article Comments (5) Share Joe Namath says Super Bowl talk is 'justified' for New York Jets

By Manish Mehta

Daily News Sports Writer

Thursday, August 5th 2010, 12:27 PM

Pereira/GettyMark Sanchez (l.) gets a pep talk from quarterback Joe Namath before last season's opener. This year, Namath believes the New York Jets can win the Super Bowl. Related NewsGoodell says NFL wants to test for HGHGiants say MRI shows Nicks' knee 'A-OK'CORTLAND - The Jets brash style may have rubbed some folks the wrong way, but the franchise's most beloved figure, frankly, loves it.

Joe Namath praised the team's bravado and said their Super Bowl aspirations were "justified," calling Rex Ryan's group New York's best hope to erase the organization's long Super Bowl drought.

"This team that I'm looking at today is more suited to be able to follow through with a championship than what we've had out there," Namath said after a morning practice shortened by lightning today. "I don't know if any of you can remember a team that we've had with this kind of defense or the kind of people we have now in the (skill positions).

"I never dreamt that it would be a long time coming to get another championship with the NY Jets," he added.

Namath, whose Super Bowl III guarantee in 1968 still resonates with Jets fans, also admitted that this year's team is more confident than his Super Bowl winning team ever was.

"They have more swagger than we had, that's for sure," Namath said. "We have a team we're expecting a lot out of this year."

Namath praised Mark Sanchez's growth, but repeatedly pointed to the offensive line as the most critical piece of the team. To that end, he admitted he was surprised by the team's decision to cut perennial Pro Bowl left guard Alan Faneca in the offseason.

"I sincerely don't know the reasons that Faneca is not here," Namath said. "So when I first saw that we lost Faneca, I was a bit confused, upset. The man was a Pro Bowler for a number of years and did well last year. I still don't know exactly why he's departed. But whoever steps into that slot is going to have a load to carry."

When Namath first walked into the press box, he ran into linebacker Bart Scott, who wore a t-shirt saying, "Known to do the Impossible Like Broadway Joe."

The Hall of Fame quarterback took one look at the shirt and smiled.

"It's not impossible," the legend said. "We know that."

Share digg

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz0vlVGxTXr

Archived