Steve Smith Sr. evaluates and interviews WR Malachi Corley

Corley’s apparent desire to play football at a high level reminds me of Steve Smith although what has been published about Malachi doesn’t indicate any of the anger issues that Steve dealt with. I bet Corley makes at least one of NFL Networks angry runs award

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Very divisive player in evaluations pre-draft. Some saw him as possibly the 4th best receiver and others thought he was one of the worst prospects in the draft. One of the comments was something like "a mediocre RB playing WR"

I thought this video was super encouraging but we all though Elijah Moore was a sure #1 receiver too.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Very divisive player in evaluations pre-draft. Some saw him as possibly the 4th best receiver and others thought he was one of the worst prospects in the draft. One of the comments was something like "a mediocre RB playing WR"

I thought this video was super encouraging but we all though Elijah Moore was a sure #1 receiver too.

Yeah, the hope is that because the team clearly targeted it and went for him they have a specific plan to maximize his talents. He's definitley not a "one size fits all" plug and play type but he does seem to have unique abilities.

Smith has loved this dude for a bit now.  Pretty big endorsement coming from a guy like that.  I think the people who don't like him are viewing him strictly in terms of what a WR should be or look like.  Like Bowers, I think you have to view Corley as a straight up weapon, and as long as you have a plan in place to maximize his talent, he could be an absolute game changer.  Time will tell on whether or not we have that kind of plan, or if it's just a matter of "oh he would be fun with Rodgers".

3 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

I was a fan of drafting Moore. Didn’t see the attitude issues coming. In fact the aura around him was the opposite when we drafted him.

Corley seems like a guy that just has to be used right to succeed. Likely never a #1, but he doesn’t have to be with GW here and young. But he’s a tax guy and let him work. Luckily for us Todgers does like getting rid of the ball fast. And we have size at WR in MW and Lazard. Something WKU didn’t really. As guys to block for Corley. You watch Corley’s full video of his touches last year and you see a good amount of screens that go nowhere. But not really bc of him. But bc of a bad throw or no blocking.

• I think the Jets saw Corley and Brock Bowers potentially having the same impact.  Someone that Rodgers can dump it off to close to the line of scrimmage and then get YAC.   Bowers was requiring a top 15 pick, Corley a second rounder.  Corley slipped so JD scored with that.  Now it all depends on execution.   I think it is pretty certain that the Jets will be able to get Corley to catch short passes.  
  • Corley has upside to a real slot WR.  That will depend on how he is coached.    Bowers was always going to be a small/tweener TE whose style has a bad track record in the NFL.   Fortunately for the Jets/JD, I don’t see the Raiders utilizing Bowers to his maximum potential, so passing on Bowers should not have real negative consequences. 
  • The real key to the Jets season is some minimum combination of Williams, GW, Lazard and Corley, together with the TEs, being productive in the passing game.   The Jets are betting that they along with last years WRs can make this work.  I hope they are right.