Rex Throws Folk a Curve

Kentucky Jet

Jets notes: Rex Ryan throws Nick Folk curve

Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Record

Folk thrown curve

Jets coach Rex Ryan had Saturday night’s intrasquad scrimmage very tightly scripted, but couldn’t help throwing in a little bit of improvisation. However, kicker Nick Folk probably could have done without it.

Folk, who has been having an excellent training camp, missed a 38-yard field-goal attempt wide left after second-string quarterback Mark Brunell led the offense down the field. But an almost apologetic Ryan said afterward that he had altered the script and that Folk had "no warm-up." Ryan even showed part of the script to reporters, noting the deviation. Field-goal attempts had been planned for later in the scrimmage.

Ryan did it to try to simulate having to kick a field goal in a hurry, such as after a change of possession. "He asked me if I wanted to kick it and you kind of can’t tell the head coach no," Folk said. "It’s good to get that mental preparation in case we have to go quick, [but] as far as being warm and ready, I wasn’t fully [prepared]. ... The timing was a little off on that one but other than that I felt pretty good."

Folk, who was signed by the Jets in February, rebounded to go 8-for-10 on field-goal attempts in the workout.

Briefs

Rookie tight end Jeff Cumberland sat out the scrimmage after suffering a head injury in Friday’s morning practice. ... Wide receiver David Clowney, who was excused from Friday’s practices for personal reasons, again was absent. Ryan expects him to be back in time for Monday’s practices. ... Rookie Vladimir Ducasse and second-year player Matt Slauson continued to split the first-team snaps at left guard in their battle to replace Alan Faneca. ... Rookie RB Joe McKnight, who broke off a 25-yard run during the scrimmage, has been bothered by a tweaked ankle recently, Ryan said.

— J.P. Pelzman

Archived