Bob Sutton- Longest Tenured Jets Coach

Kentucky Jet

Sutton’s 11th season makes him the longest tenured coach in Jets history

Jets Blog- By MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 6:03 AM, August 15, 2010

Posted: 4:12 AM, August 15, 2010

CORTLAND — There haven’t been a lot of things to count on as a Jets fan over the years, with an often volatile team that’s cornered the market on thrills, spills, tease and heartbreak.

Bob Sutton, however, is one of them.

Since Sutton was hired by the Jets as an assistant coach, U.S. presidents have come and gone, clothing trends and hair styles have altered, social networking has gone from happy hours and power lunches to Facebook and Twitter and — oh, yes — the Jets are on their fourth head coach.

Sutton, who coaches linebackers for the Jets and is in his 11th season as an assistant coach with the team — the longest tenure in franchise history — is an absolute anomaly. Assistant coaches in the NFL normally do not survive from one head-coaching regime to another. Since the days when players played in leather helmets, head coaches have been bringing in their own assistants — guys they’ve worked with before, friends, former roommates, whatever.

NYPost

09/27/06. Jets practice. Hofstra University. Coach Eric Mangini, rt, confers with Defensive Coordinator Bob Sutton.

Assistants from the previous staff, however, rarely are retained. Sutton has survived three head-coaching changes with the Jets and is thriving under his fourth: Rex Ryan.

The former head coach at Army was hired by Al Groh as a linebackers coach in 2000. It was his first NFL job and one he hoped to be at for a while. But Groh stunned everyone and left the Jets after one year to coach his alma mater, Virginia, paving the way for Herman Edwards to be hired.

Edwards, who had little knowledge of Sutton, retained him as his linebackers coach. Sutton coached under Edwards for five years until Edwards and the Jets divorced, making way for Eric Mangini’s hire.

Mangini, also with little background connection with Sutton, not only retained him but elevated Sutton to defensive coordinator.

When Mangini was fired after the 2008 season, Sutton figured surely that was the end of the line for his Jets career. Ryan, after all, was coming from Baltimore with his own defensive system and his own hand picked assistants in tow.

But Ryan also retained Sutton, keeping him as his linebackers coach.

The 59-year-old Sutton recalled his move to the NFL and a warning he issued to his wife at the time.

“When I came to the Jets with Al I told my wife, ‘You know this is a volatile business with a lot of movement, so ...’ “ Sutton said. “When Al left I figured, ‘OK, I guess I’ll be in the NFL one year.’ The NFL consists of a pretty tight-knit group of people. There are only 32 teams and 32 linebacker coaches.

“The turnover of [Jets] head coaches has been pretty much the way it is [the norm] around the league, so I feel fortunate I’ve been able to stay. It is unusual.”

That fact is not lost on Ryan.

When asked about Sutton’s rare staying power, having survived through three head coach departures with the Jets, Ryan joked, “First off, I hope he doesn’t go through another one. I know Sutton will be here. I hope I’m here for a long time with him.”

Turning serious, Ryan said, “There was never a doubt I wanted Bob Sutton on my staff. This guy was a great head coach in college. He’s been a terrific assistant coach. I know the kind of teacher he is and the kind of coach he is. He’s loyal. He’s demanding. He loves the players, respects the players and he gets the most out of the players. You can’t ask for much more than that.

“He’s just a terrific football coach. I think that’s what’s kept him through so many [regimes]. This isn’t the most secure job at all times. You want a guy like Bob Sutton on your staff. We’re fortunate to have him still.”

Why has Sutton lasted through all these regimes?

“Bob can adapt to any kind of defense,” linebacker Calvin Pace said. “He’s coached 3-4, 4-3, whatever you want to call our defense now — all over the place. He’s our eyes; he gets us ready. I know that when I come in on Wednesday Bob’s going to have it broken down for me.”

mcannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/sutton_jets_season_makes_him_the_djCCzq7uHXL3FxW2zUZKkO?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0wfwr2vni

The 59-year-old Sutton recalled his move to the NFL and a warning he issued to his wife at the time.

NFL coaches look so old compared to their real age. I thought Sutton was closing in on 100.

I hope the Sutton haters read this. I think Sutton took the blame for a lot of Mangini's bad ideas.

Sutton: "Yeah, that's called playing like...a what?"

Player: *blank stare*

Sutton: "Playing like a J--"

Player and Sutton: "Jet"

Sutton: "Right. Playing like a Jet."

Was it just me or did anyone else watch that exchange and think Sutton was channeling his inner Ben Stein?

"Anyone? Anyone? Something-dee-oh-oh economics. Voo-doo economics."

Archived