Suspended players vs. Injured players

GodWearsAGrayHoodie

This quote comes from the thread regarding Pace....

Who are you going to cut for this 2 weeks of insurance? It's not baseball, they can't put Pace on the 15 day disabled list. You have to cut someone and I'd rather not. If he could still play he'd probably be in camp somewhere.

This isn't really about Pace but the disparate treatment of these type of players.

Last year Pace missed the first four weeks of the season due to misbehavior. During his absence he did not count towards the 53.

This year he will miss the first few weeks due to an injury. During his absence he will count towards the 53.

This doesn't really make much sense to me. Teams are forced to manage with less players (or cut or end the season of said player) when the player is out because of what is best described as an accident. But get a free pass when it comes to dealing with the absence caused by the players intentional wrongdoing.

Seems to me that players out due to a suspension ought count towards the 53 total as well.

Think about this: It would be in the team's best interest for Pace to go to something that gets him suspended for the first few games so they could sign someone else while he heals.

Thoughts?

This quote comes from the thread regarding Pace....

This isn't really about Pace but the disparate treatment of these type of players.

Last year Pace missed the first four weeks of the season due to misbehavior. During his absence he did not count towards the 53.

This year he will miss the first few weeks due to an injury. During his absence he will count towards the 53.

This doesn't really make much sense to me. Teams are forced to manage with less players (or cut or end the season of said player) when the player is out because of what is best described as an accident. But get a free pass when it comes to dealing with the absence caused by the players intentional wrongdoing.

Seems to me that players out due to a suspension ought count towards the 53 total as well.

Think about this: It would be in the team's best interest for Pace to go to something that gets him suspended for the first few games so they could sign someone else while he heals.

Thoughts?

If I had to guess, it has to do with fault and money. They don't want to penalize teams for player misconduct. If a player is hurt, it's up to the team to deal with it. I don't believe suspended players are paid for the weeks they are missed - or they are fined that number of game checks. Technically it shouldn't really be punishment because you can carry guys on the taxi squad - roster players but game day inactive. Too many teams will be tempted to stash players on the "injured list" and that wouldn't be fair to the players. Young guys might never get a fair chance.

Archived