2024 Senior Bowl Thread: News and Notes

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Fuaga came in with arms under 33.5 inches. That used to be a red flag for tackle prospects (I'm not sure if that is still the case). 

I remember sub-33” being a red flag. There are countless elite tackles with arm lengths between 33-33.5” 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

I remember sub-33” being a red flag. There are countless elite tackles with arm lengths between 33-33.5” 

I’m pretty sure one could count all the elite tackles, let alone the elite ones with short arms. 

1 hour ago, derp said:

At a glance it looks like it’s pretty much Sewell. I remember when Joe Thomas’ short arms were a minor red flag and he was at 33.75”.

My use of “countless elite” was an exaggeration but there are plenty of players who had/are having very good careers that fell into that category (33-to-33.5”). Some of the guys we know about: Penei Sewell, Rashawn Slater, Kaleb McGary, Jason Peters, Donald Penn, Joe Staley, Zach Tom, Jake Matthews, Bernhard Reiman, Bryan Bulaga, Riley Reiff, Mitchell Schwartz, Luke Goedeke, Braden Smith to name a few 

While longer arms are always preferred, there’s not much evidence to say a guy can’t be a tackle with 33” arms or will even be limited for that matter. You often don’t see tackles with shorter arms than that because they’re almost always moved to guard prior to even reaching the NFL, but it’s not to say they can’t play tackle either. AVT has looked just as good at tackle as he has guard, yet he has 32 1/8” arms. He makes up for it with his lateral agility, which is arguably most important for a guy trying to be a tackle. I just don’t buy that Taliese Fuaga won’t be able to play T because his arms are 33 3/8”. I’ll be more interested in whether he lacks the lateral agility to play RT (tape doesn’t indicate so imo) 

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

My use of “countless elite” was an exaggeration but there are plenty of players who had/are having very good careers that fell into that category (33-to-33.5”). Some of the guys we know about: Penei Sewell, Rashawn Slater, Kaleb McGary, Jason Peters, Donald Penn, Joe Staley, Zach Tom, Jake Matthews, Bernhard Reiman, Bryan Bulaga, Riley Reiff, Mitchell Schwartz, Luke Goedeke, Braden Smith to name a few 

While longer arms are always preferred, there’s not much evidence to say a guy can’t be a tackle with 33” arms or will even be limited for that matter. You often don’t see tackles with shorter arms than that because they’re almost always moved to guard prior to even reaching the NFL, but it’s not to say they can’t play tackle either. AVT has looked just as good at tackle as he has guard, yet he has 32 1/8” arms. He makes up for it with his lateral agility, which is arguably most important for a guy trying to be a tackle. I just don’t buy that Taliese Fuaga won’t be able to play T because his arms are 33 3/8”. I’ll be more interested in whether he lacks the lateral agility to play RT (tape doesn’t indicate so imo) 

It’s certainly doable, I think much moreso if you’re a special athlete (or at least have tremendous lateral quickness) or an elite level technician. I don’t think the answer is if your arms are below X length then you can’t play tackle - but I think it’s important to demonstrate the ability to compensate for the lack of length very easily in college so that the projection in the NFL is a little easier.

For the Jets they maybe need an answer at guard too so assuming they tick off at least potential answers at tackle in FA it’s maybe not a huge problem if they take a guy who ends up just fitting nicely inside - although that’d be better after a trade down.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, football guy said:

It's 34 inches, but you are correct, there are numerous examples of good tackles with sub 34" arms (Joe Thomas, Rashawn Slater, etc.). That being said, Fuaga's arm length is a potential detractor if the grade between him and some of the other tackles is close. 

ForFootballGuy.thumb.png.c78f5455500e3a2f85fe6b2d8e765304.png

12 hours ago, derp said:

It’s certainly doable, I think much moreso if you’re a special athlete (or at least have tremendous lateral quickness) or an elite level technician. I don’t think the answer is if your arms are below X length then you can’t play tackle - but I think it’s important to demonstrate the ability to compensate for the lack of length very easily in college so that the projection in the NFL is a little easier.

For the Jets they maybe need an answer at guard too so assuming they tick off at least potential answers at tackle in FA it’s maybe not a huge problem if they take a guy who ends up just fitting nicely inside - although that’d be better after a trade down.

You just have to understand how to use your hands better if you have shorter arms. You can do it as long as you can keep the defenders grips off your chest. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I’ll throw this in here because it’s a quote from Jim Nagy.   But this isn’t the first time I’ve heard someone saying this.  Going to be interesting to see how these later day 3 picks are valued going forward.  

That is a great point.

I think someone(me) said Fuaga and other tackles would end up “flying” up the board where we’d have no worries at 10 getting a great prospect.

Seems that’s already started.  All the sudden(but in reality all along) Fuaga at 10 would be a great pick instead of “missing out” on Alt or Fashanu

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think someone(me) said Fuaga and other tackles would end up “flying” up the board where we’d have no worries at 10 getting a great prospect.

Seems that’s already started.  All the sudden(but in reality all along) Fuaga at 10 would be a great pick instead of “missing out” on Alt or Fashanu

I think the question is, will the jets stay at 10 and take their favorite tackle, not whether one of the perceived top 2 LTs will be there at 10.  

Semi-related. E/W Shrine bowl is on thursday night... Senior bowl has the more robust showing of course, but there's always a had full of G-5/FCS guys who make a case for themselves. Legit one too. 

The west has the intrigue on Offense, but there's some interesting talent on the east defense, particularly the secondary. 

https://shrinebowl.com/rosters/

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

and there's your most likely pick. Should he be gone, you'd have to think it's trade back and reorganize mode. 

He could jump ahead of fashanu when it all shakes out.  Qbs may fly up too.  I’m not concerned about getting a very good tackle at 10, but maybe they could get a comparable tackle if they trade back and get a day 2 pick. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

You just have to understand how to use your hands better if you have shorter arms. You can do it as long as you can keep the defenders grips off your chest. 

I think it's mainly a difference of "do you have elite length" more than a function of you are liability at the position with 33" arms. But nowadays the talking heads just throw in "may slot into guard" for anyone who doesn't have ideal traits or has some questionable footwork.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

and there's your most likely pick. Should he be gone, you'd have to think it's trade back and reorganize mode. 

Feeling the same. This draft has a lot of quality talent at OL and WR and would be apoplectic if we don't fill in talent at either given our needs and talent alignment. Fauga would be solid I think.

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

he's still a dime a dozen.

size whore^

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He could jump ahead of fashanu when it all shakes out.  Qbs may fly up too.  I’m not concerned about getting a very good tackle at 10, but maybe they could get a comparable tackle if they trade back and get a day 2 pick. 

Gotta be the play.At least I hope it is.

16 hours ago, football guy said:

While longer arms are always preferred, there’s not much evidence to say a guy can’t be a tackle with 33” arms or will even be limited for that matter.

If you have <33" arms then you probably need to have exceptional anchor strength & technique.. Those DE will be up in your grill on the bullrush, and if you can't anchor your feet you're going to be blown up.

Love the numbers on this guy! Hands are a little small, however. Thanks for the info @football guy

image.thumb.png.883b20a58c1765a19e9a82d7ca1f1254.png

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Paradis said:

he's still a dime a dozen.

If by this you mean he's a slot receiver with mediocre size that can get open? yea sure. 

He's not someone I would take for my offense with a 1st or 2nd, but if I'm in the mid 3rd and he's sitting there. how is it bad business to take a guy whose game clearly translates to the next level, and he can contribute right away?

Maybe we're just off the mark here but to me if your game translates to me that's a big time win as a prospect.  With where the jets are they need guys that can come in and contribute, not hopes and prayers.  

There are certainly more upside guys in this draft for sure but can't dismiss the value a guy like Roman Wilson could bring to a team. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Semi-related. E/W Shrine bowl is on thursday night... Senior bowl has the more robust showing of course, but there's always a had full of G-5/FCS guys who make a case for themselves. Legit one too. 

The west has the intrigue on Offense, but there's some interesting talent on the east defense, particularly the secondary. 

https://shrinebowl.com/rosters/

interested to watch josh cephus.  

26 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

If by this you mean he's a slot receiver with mediocre size that can get open? yea sure. 

He's not someone I would take for my offense with a 1st or 2nd, but if I'm in the mid 3rd and he's sitting there. how is it bad business to There are certainly more upside guys in this draft for sure but can't dismiss the value a guy like Roman Wilson could bring to a team. 

All the above is true, my point is only the Wilson is on the buffet line that we can snack on at will. In theory...

a theory predicated on Joe Fckface Douglas not burning 2/5 WR spots on Lazard and Cobb. ...dead ass weight. It was literally (and i rarely use that word) a 1-man show with Wilson last year. Useless the rest of them. Its flipping AMAZING how sh*tty we are at fleshing out our WR corps 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

All the above is true, my point is only the Wilson is on the buffet line that we can snack on at will. In theory...

a theory predicated on Joe Fckface Douglas not burning 2/5 WR spots on Lazard and Cobb. ...dead ass weight. It was a (and i rarely use this word) literally a 1-man show with Wilson last year. Useless the rest of them. Its flipping AMAZING how sh*tty we are at fleshing our WR corps 

I think alot of that will change this year.  Not sure cobb is back, and Lazard is on thin ice right now, even with rodgers. 

They will be adding to help Wilson.  They all know what they have in him and I think you heard everyone on the team; front office, players, coaches talk about how they needed to help him out.  

So at minimum 1 FA wr and if we draft one I think youre looking at the 3-4th round unless we trade down in 1 and add a 2nd rounder.  

Thats why guys like Wilson are worth discussing because they can be in that range possibly.  Although theres a chance after this weekend Wilson and Corley sneak into the bottom of 2, but we'll have to see as time goes on.   At least at this juncture those are guys whose skill sets translate to what we need and are in the price range we are looking.