Jets News 9-3

flgreen

Good news, bad news for Joe McKnight

Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2010 6:57 AM ET

The preseason finale yielded mixed results for rookie running back Joe McKnight. After fumbling the ball for the third time in preseason play, coach Rex Ryan seemed to suggest that McKnight was in danger of being cut.

The good news is that McKnight won't be cut.

The bad news is that, if Ryan means what he said after the game, McKnight will be doing a lot of standing around on Sundays. The coach said that McKnight is "going to make the team, I'm just not going to play him."

We'll believe it when we see it.

5 questions for ... Jimmy Johnson

By JUSTIN TERRANOVA

Last Updated: 8:09 AM, September 3, 2010

Posted: 4:57 AM, September 3, 2010

Comments: 1 More Print The NFL season is just six days away, with the Saints and Vikings kicking it off on Thursday night. FOX analyst and former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson told The Post’s Justin Terranova that the Jets won’t match the hype, but the team he once coached to two Super Bowls will.

Q: What are some of the challenges the Saints face in trying to repeat?

A: I told Sean Payton the same thing I told Bill Belichick and that’s: After a championship, you can’t start making assumptions just because you’ve been there before. Those star players still have to be coached; the older those players get the harder they have to work to stay in shape. Once you start assuming, that’s when mistakes happen, but the Saints are as unselfish a football team I’ve seen in a long time, so they may have a chance to repeat.

Q: Any teams you see on the rise or ready to fall this year?

A: In the NFC, the 49ers are on the way up. I think they can win the division with the Cardinals’ problem at quarterback. I am a little bit concerned the Jets will struggle offensively. They still should be good defensively if Darrelle Revis comes in eventually, but the offense is a concern.

Q: Who do you like in the NFC East?

A: Like most, I think the Cowboys are the ones to beat. After that it could be interesting battle between the Eagles and Giants. I like the quarterback, Kevin Kolb, in Philadelphia, but I am a little concerned if they can hold up defensively. Washington should be improved, but I still see them bringing up the rear in that division.

Q: Even with how bad the Cowboys have looked this preseason?

A: You can’t be impressed with that, but make no mistake they are a talented football team. They are extremely talented on defense and they have the ability to turn it on once the season gets started. I am just a little bit concerned, especially with the offensive line and if they can open the holes for the running game.

Q: Any reason to think the Giants defense will be improved?

A: The Giants had such a great start then fizzled at the end last year, but they still have a talented football team. They have enough good players on the defensive side where they should still be a competitive football team.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/questions_for_jimmy_johnson_Uhl2QaVG7CDlj6RwIsaHEK?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0yTfcBIpx

Jets' offense in need of take-charge guy

Jets BlogLast Updated: 8:52 AM, September 3, 2010

Posted: 3:22 AM, September 3, 2010

Comments: 4 More Print Mark Cannizzaro

PHILADELPHIA -- Whether intentional or not, some critical information about the Jets has leaked out via HBO's "Hard Knocks."

In Wednesday's episode, one of the most fascinating nuggets to come to light was a conversation between Jets coach Rex Ryan and some of his assistants, lamenting the lack of leadership on offense.

Surely, Thomas Jones, in Kansas City, and Alan Faneca, in Arizona, sat before their respective TVs wearing either incredulous looks or merely smirking.

BACK PAGE: REVIS SHOULD SHARE

JETS-EAGLES BOX SCORE

How can the Jets be wondering where all their leadership on offense has gone when they are the ones who jettisoned Jones and Faneca -- their two strongest leaders on that side of the ball -- in the offseason?

AP

FEELING AT HOLMES: Jets receiver Santonio Holmes celebrates after his 51-yard touchdown catch from Mark Brunell during last night's 21-17 win over the Eagles in the preseason finale. Ryan's assertion was a bit of a damning statement about Mark Sanchez, who worked hard this offseason to establish himself as a team leader. The problem is that Sanchez is only in his second year and he hasn't yet shown the ability to single-handedly carry the offense. That dynamic should come eventually, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Receiver Santonio Holmes was acquired in an offseason trade with the Steelers, but he was set to say "goodbye" for a month after last night's 21-17 win over the Eagles in the preseason finale at Lincoln Financial Field.

Holmes, not long removed from being crowned a Super Bowl MVP, has talked a good game about wanting to become a leader on his new team and to lead by example. But because of his league-mandated, four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, that's unfortunately going to have to wait.

And the Jets cannot afford to wait for an offensive leader to emerge until after Holmes returns in a month.

The former Steelers receiver got a lot of playing time last night because it was his final chance to play until he's eligible to return for the Jets' Oct. 11 game against the Vikings.

The highlight of his night was a 51-yard touchdown catch from Mark Brunell in the fourth quarter. Earlier, though, after a 24-yard catch, Holmes fumbled for the second consecutive week, though the ball was recovered by the Jets. He finished with four catches for 97 yards, including that TD, which gave the Jets their final margin of victory.

Ryan sat his starters last night, so Holmes' extended playing time was a tease for what the Jets will be missing for the next month -- both in dynamic big-play skill and potential leadership on offense. He is, along with Damien Woody and Kris Jenkins, one of only three players on the Jets roster with Super Bowl experience (Brunell was with the Saints last year, but didn't play).

During the "Hard Knocks" episode that aired Wednesday, Ryan, in a conversation with former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden (who was visiting a practice), called Holmes "the best player on the field."

Holmes, anxious to show the Jets what they got when they traded for him, was looking forward to the extended preseason action -- something most veteran players usually embrace as much as a trip to the dentist or extra gassers in practice.

"I'm excited about where I'm at right now," Holmes said. "I've never been a vocal leader. Everything I've done has been lead by example. I'm pretty sure these guys believe in me. I've shared a lot [of my experience] with these guys. We talked a lot about everything I've done and the way I saw everything unfold for us in Pittsburgh. I'm definitely trying to bring all of that to the Jets."

Holmes said he "learned" from Steelers' receiver Hines Ward "and took everything I could from him and am trying to use it for these guys."

The Jets, if they're going to make that move to the Super Bowl like they have promised, are going to need other veterans to emerge as leaders on offense long before Holmes makes his 2010 debut.

With no Jones or Faneca, that falls heavily on the shoulders of Sanchez.

mcannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/gang_without_leader_EBpgp6tPpsoACFkIuhLiEI?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0yTfsMHL9

Headset, no helmet for Jets' Sanchez

Jets BlogBy MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 8:52 AM, September 3, 2010

Posted: 3:24 AM, September 3, 2010

Comments: 0 More Print PHILADELPHIA -- Mark Sanchez didn't play at all in the Jets' 21-17 preseason finale win over the Eagles. But Sanchez contributed.

Sanchez, resting along with the rest of the starters, donned the headset and called plays for several series -- two of which led to touchdowns.

Sanchez was calling plays when backup quarterback Mark Brunell connected with rookie tight end Jeff Cumberland on a 2-yard scoring pass in the second quarter and when Brunell hooked up with Santonio Holmes on a 51-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Asked if he has a new career now, Sanchez said: "No, I've got to work on playing a little better first. But it was fun, two touchdown drives. It keeps you in the game, thinking like a play caller helps a lot. It's more difficult than you think.

"It helps you see the big picture with all the plays. It's easy to just hear the call and run plays, but when you're really thinking about down, distance and the situation, it makes it more difficult."

BOX SCORE

Coach Rex Ryan ripped the offense for turning over the ball, an alarming trend this preseason.

Rookie RB Joe McKnight fumbled the ball to Eagles S Kurt Coleman, who returned it 64 yards for a TD and a 10-0 Eagles lead. Later, rookie FB John Connor, who has been widely praised by Ryan, tripped over teammate Wayne Hunter and fumbled the ball away with 40 seconds remaining in the first half, leading to a recovery by Coleman, who returned it 8 yards for a TD and a 17-7 Philadelphia halftime lead.

"The offense lit up the scoreboard -- both scoreboards," Ryan said sarcastically. "That was unfortunate. We outscored ourselves. You better hold onto the football if you want to make the football team."

Brunell, who started the game, completed 9-of-16 passes for 63 yards and the TD pass to Cumberland in the first half. He gave way to Kellen Clemens in the third quarter, but returned for a series when Clemens suffered a stinger, connecting with Holmes on that 51-yard TD pass.

Brunell's TD pass to Cumberland was made possible by an Emanuel Cook interception. . . . S Brian Jackson had a forced fumble and recovery in the fourth quarter. . . . DT Matt Kroul had two sacks and DE Vernon Gholston ended the game with a sack.

RB Danny Woodhead, praised by Ryan during the week, scored on a 14-yard TD run in the third quarter. He seems to have locked up a roster spot, finishing with 45 rushing yards.

In the 2009 preseason finale, Woodhead rushed for 158 yards and two TDs against the Eagles. Ryan strongly indicated the other day that, despite how deep the Jets backfield is, Woodhead looked like he'll make the 53-man roster.

Ryan said RB Chauncey Washington (56 rushing yards on 12 carries and an alert recovery of a Holmes fumble) "definitely helped himself."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/headset_no_helmet_for_mark_AfDt73wKlmv456RBc4i86J?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0yTgDyJ82

Jets prevail in preseason finale, but big questions linger

Jets BlogJets 21 Eagles 17

By BART HUBBUCH

Last Updated: 8:52 AM, September 3, 2010

Posted: 3:25 AM, September 3, 2010

Comments: 16 More Print PHILADELPHIA -- If the Jets had questions about themselves -- and they do -- they definitely weren't answered here last night.

About the only thing coach Rex Ryan learned from a 21-17 win over the Eagles in the preseason finale at Lincoln Financial Field is that Joe McKnight still can't hold on to the football.

The maddening fourth-round pick from USC lost a fumble for the third game in a row and was foremost on Ryan's mind afterward, overshadowing big nights from backup quarterback Mark Brunell, suspended receiver Santonio Holmes and the backup defense.

BOX SCORE

"It's just ridiculous," Ryan fumed after the Jets fumbled four times overall, losing three.

Ryan was so upset by McKnight's latest stink bomb of a performance that he began his postgame news conference by saying he didn't see how the rookie could make the active roster when the final cuts come due tomorrow.

Ryan quickly amended that to say McKnight is safe, in part because the Jets admit he is still too talented to be stashed on the practice squad without being scooped up by another club.

But McKnight admitted he has been "horrible" since coming to the Jets, and Ryan agreed.

"You've got to protect the football," Ryan said of McKnight. "That was disappointing. Here's a guy who's on the bubble of making the active roster, and right now, I don't have confidence in him."

McKnight, who had nine carries for 34 yards, also was outplayed by fellow backfield hopefuls Danny Woodhead and Chauncey Washington, who combined for 101 yards and a 14-yard Woodhead touchdown run.

Woodhead has been so good this summer, in fact, that Ryan said after the game that he had done enough to win a roster spot. McKnight, on the other hand, is trying to pick up the pieces of a disastrous camp.

It isn't entirely McKnight's fault -- the Jets are trying to turn a college scatback into a between-the-tackles NFL runner. But he isn't helping himself, either.

"I had miscues and fumbled the ball a couple of times," a somber McKnight said. "I just have to earn their trust back and let them see that I can do all the little things to let them depend on me."

At least Ryan knows he can depend on Brunell and Holmes, who each had predictably prolific outings against the Eagles' second- and third-teamers.

Brunell was 11-for-17 for 118 yards and two TD passes, including a 51-yarder to Holmes early in the fourth quarter after Kellen Clemens banged up his thumb. Holmes nearly lost a fumble, but had four catches for 97 yards overall in his final outing before a four-game NFL drug suspension.

But other than that, the Jets remain a bit of a mystery 11 days before their Week 1 showdown with the Ravens after a drama-filled, made-for-TV preseason still overshadowed by Darrelle Revis' ugly holdout.

Part of it was by design, as Ryan admittedly had little use for last night's affair before it even started. He then made it obvious by resting all his projected starters except for guard Matt Slauson and Holmes while dressing just 36 players.

The Eagles did pretty much the same, and the result was a sloppy, meaningless slog.

Ryan was visibly relieved when it was finally over, even if the questions about a Jets team that hardly looks like the Super Bowl winner Ryan keeps projecting were just beginning.

Asked if the Jets are ready for the regular season, Ryan said: "Well, the great thing is that we get to prove it."

bhubbuch@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/finale_farce_G40Y1uRl6iaPTUhJ4stApK?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0yTgV5RTX

Jets win preseason finale

By Rob Maaddi • The Associated Press • September 3, 2010

PHILADELPHIA — Michael Vick has reached the point in his comeback where he doesn't have to prove himself anymore.

The Jets beat Philadelphia 21-17 in their preseason finale Thursday night, while Vick led the Eagles to a field goal in two series and Kurt Coleman scored on two fumble returns.

Making his first start in four years, Vick played just one quarter before heading to the bench. He didn't lobby coach Andy Reid to stay in.

"Who wants to be out there in preseason?" Vick said. "I was going to play as long as Andy wanted me out there, but when he pulled me, I was like, 'Yes!' "

Related

Mark Brunell's 51-yard touchdown pass to former Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes in the fourth quarter put the Jets (2-2) ahead to stay against the Eagles (2-2).

Neither team used its starters. Kevin Kolb and the Jets' Mark Sanchez watched from the sideline while backups saw plenty of action and no-name rookies fought for roster spots.

"The offense lit up the scoreboard, both scoreboards," Jets coach Rex Ryan joked, referring to his team's turnovers.

A three-time Pro Bowl quarterback during six seasons with Atlanta, Vick last started on Dec. 31, 2006, against the Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field. He left that game after injuring his ankle on the first play in the third quarter. Vick missed the next two seasons while serving an 18-month prison sentence for his role in a dogfighting ring. He signed with the Eagles as a backup last summer, and was used sparingly in Philadelphia's version of the wildcat formation.

With Donovan McNabb gone, Vick enters this season as Kolb's backup. He finished 3 of 5 for 56 yards and ran twice for 11 yards against the Jets. Overall, Vick had a so-so exhibition season, throwing for 189 yards, no touchdowns and three interceptions.

"I think he's had enough work," Reid said when asked why he didn't keep Vick in for the whole half as originally planned. "He's 30 years old, he's been in the league a long time. He's ready to go."Brunell hardly needed the tuneup. He's entering his 16th year in the NFL. The lefty was 11 of 17 for 118 yards and two TDs.

(2 of 2)

Sanchez didn't just watch, he had a chance to call some plays. Both of the Jets' touchdowns were his calls.

"I thought Mark did really well," Brunell said. "Certainly he has a good feel for the game and made some very smart calls in there, so it was pretty impressive for a young guy."

Coleman, a seventh-round pick, may have solidified his roster spot by being in the right spot twice. He picked up John Conner's fumble and ran 8 yards for a touchdown, giving the Eagles a 17-7 lead in the final minute of the first half. Conner tripped and lost the ball after hitting the ground, but he was not ruled down by contact so the play stood after review.

On the final play of the first quarter, Coleman picked up Joe McKnight's fumble and ran 64 yards untouched to the end zone. McKnight appeared to lose the ball after running into his own lineman.

Related

"He's always around the ball," Reid said of Coleman. "And when he has an opportunity to hit you, he usually makes good contact."

The Jets took a 21-17 lead when Brunell returned for a series and hit Holmes in stride in the opening minute of the fourth quarter.

Holmes, the 2009 Super Bowl MVP with Pittsburgh, played because he has to sit out the first four games after being suspended for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Kellen Clemens started the second half for the Jets and drove them into the end zone on his first series. Danny Woodhead's 14-yard TD run got the Jets within 17-14. Clemens came out for a series after it appeared he injured his arm.

Rookie Mike Kafka replaced Vick in the second quarter, and was intercepted by Emanuel

Final thoughts on Jets 21, Eagles 17

September, 3, 2010 Sep 31:17AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich Cimini• Rookie RB Joe McKnight, by his own admission, had a "horrible" preseason. He runs softly and he fumbles a lot, not a good combination. Prediction: Unless the Jets suffer injuries in the backfield, it'll be a long time before we see McKnight dressed for a game.

• Rex Ryan confirmed that the team is aware of the league rule that allows WR Santonio Holmes to be around the team and the facility during his four-game suspension. The only restrictions: He can't practice and can't attend games. Said Ryan: "I wasn't sure of those (rules). We checked on them, and that's exactly right. I wish he would've told me that earlier."

Previously, Ryan thought Holmes was banned from the facility, as LB Calvin Pace was last year during his suspension. The difference: Players suspended for substance abuse (Holmes) aren't banned, and players suspended for performance-enhancing drugs and steroids (Pace) are. Curiously, Holmes was non-committal when asked if he's planning to stick around the team. "Whatever helps the team," he said.

• Players that helped their chances of winning a roster spot: RB Chauncey Washington (12 carries for 56 yards), DT Matt Kroul (two sacks) and CB Brian Jackson (forced fumble, fumble recovery).

• What about Danny Woodhead, you ask? It's a done deal; he'll be on the 53-man roster. Ryan all but handed him a job after the game. Woodhead ran for 45 yards, caught a pass and made a special-teams tackle. He's really a special player; people should start to take notice.

• Great line from Ryan on the team's fumbling problems: "I told the team at halftime that we're going to have the quarterback follow the running back on every snap. It was just ridiculous."

Brunell makes the most of second chance

September, 3, 2010 Sep 312:54AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiPHILADELPHIA -- Mark Brunell changed a perception with one pass -- one pass he shouldn't have had.

After a mediocre first-half performance, the Jets' No. 2 quarterback thought his night was done, but he was pressed into duty in the fourth quarter when Kellen Clemens left for a series because of a stinger in his left arm. Brunell capitalized on the second chance, throwing a 51-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes -- the game-deciding play in the Jets' 21-17 win over the Philadelphia Eagles.

"I know he'll kill me," said Holmes, looking over his shoulder to see if Brunell was within earhshot, "but the old guy still has it in him."

Brunell, 39, had enough in him to hit a wide-open receiver -- a former Super Bowl MVP -- that was playing against third- and fourth-string defensive backs in the fourth quarter. It was child's play for Holmes (four catches for 97 yards), who got so much playing time because of a four-game suspension that will go into effect Friday.

But at least Brunell completed the pass. It was his signature moment of the preseason, a preseason that was going nowhere until Thursday night. Starting for Mark Sanchez, who was rested with the rest of the starters, Brunell completed 11 of 17 for 118 yards and two touchdowns. He also hit rookie TE Jeff Cumberland for a two-yard TD pass.

"I felt really good about today, and I think I helped to move the ball better down the field and was happy with everything overall," said Brunell, who was handed the No. 2 job after signing before camp.

Good thing Clemens had to leave for a series. Otherwise, we might have a backup-quarterback controversy.

Sanchez scores 2 TDs ... as a play caller

September, 3, 2010 Sep 31:02AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiPHILADELPHIA -- Mark Sanchez made his debut Thursday night as a play caller, and he fared quite well.

Stepping in for offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Sanchez called the plays on four series, two of which ended with touchdowns. Not a bad ratio.

"We're going to try Schotty next at quarterback, I think," Rex Ryan cracked after the Jets' 21-17 win over the Eagles.

Ryan rested Sanchez and his other starters, but instead of letting Sanchez twiddle his thumbs for three hours on the sideline, he put him to work. There was a method to the madness; it was a good way of expanding the young quarterback's perspective. Sanchez said he gave him an appreciation for the difficulty of Schottenheimer's job.

Sanchez dialed up Mark Brunell's two touchdown passes, a 2-yarder off a play-action bootleg and a 51-yard deep route to Santonio Holmes.

"I really did enjoy it because it kept me a lot more into the game," Sanchez said.

Said Brunell: "He has a great feel for the game and his calls showed it

Rex unloads on Joe McKnight

September, 2, 2010 Sep 211:35PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiPHILADELPHIA -- Here was Joe McKnight's stats line in the preseason: Four games, three lost fumble.

"Horrible," the rookie running back said after the New York Jets' 21-17 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles Thursday night.

There was no argument from Rex Ryan, who made no attemp to sugarcoat his feelings for McKnight. It didn't take a question to prompt Ryan; he went off on his own, saying, "Joe McKnight has to protect the ball. I was disappointed. Right now, I don't see how he can make the active roster."

Let's be clear: Ryan didn't mean McKnight is in jeopardy of not making the 53-man roster; he will because he was a fourth-round pick and teams don't like to cut draft picks. Ryan meant that he doesn't envision McKnight dressing for games on the 45-man roster.

"He's going to make the team," Ryan said. "We're just not going to play him until we have more confidence in him, until he shows in practice that he gets the message."

The Jets have an interesting decision to make at running back. Five players are locks for the 53-man roster: LaDainian Tomlinson, Shonn Greene, Tony Richardson, rookie John Conner and McKnight. Danny Woodhead (12 carries for 45 yards, including a 14-yard TD run), also will make the team, Ryan said. Thing is, Chauncey Washington (12 for 56, plus a key fumble recovery) also helped his chances.

Not only did McKnight cough up the ball, running into his own blocker, but he appeared tentative on other runs. When there's contact, he stops moving his feet. That was the knock on him coming out of USC. Even former college teammate Mark Sanchez noticed, saying McKnight appeared "timid" and "hesitant."

McKnight will make the team because he's on scholarship. Unfortunately, he'll probably cost someone else a job, someone more deserving.

Jets lose confidence in rookie running back Joe McKnight

Published: Friday, September 03, 2010, 12:49 AM Updated: Friday, September 03, 2010, 1:45 AM

Star-Ledger Staff

Follow Share this story

Story tools

Saed Hindash/The Star-LedgerEagles safety Kurt Coleman leaps into the air as he comes down to tackle Jets running back Joe McKnight during action Thursday night.

Share By Jenny Vrentas and Colin Stephenson/The Star-Ledger

NOTEBOOK

PHILADELPHIA – The Jets traded up in order to pick running back Joe McKnight in the fourth round of the draft back in April. But the former USC star may have played his way out of the team’s plans.

McKnight, whose professional career began with him vomiting during the rookie minicamp in May and admitting that he was not in good enough condition, had his third fumble of the preseason and this one was returned 64 yards for a touchdown by Eagles safety Kurt Coleman.

After the game, Jets coach Rex Ryan said he has lost trust in McKnight and doesn’t see how the rookie can get into a game for the team at this point.

“Joe McKnight’s got to hold on to the football,’’ Ryan said after his team beat the Eagles, 21-17, to finish 2-2 on the preseason. “That was disappointing. Here’s a guy (McKnight) that’s on the bubble of making the active roster and I don’t have confidence in him. I don’t see how he can make the active roster. That’s how I feel about it.’’

Asked, however, if McKnight’s roster spot was in danger, Ryan said it was not.

“We drafted him in the (fourth) round; he’s going to make the team,’’ Ryan said. “But I just don’t – we’re not going to play him until we have more confidence in him. Until he shows, in practice, that he gets the message.’’

“I’ve just got to earn their trust back,’’ a quiet McKnight said afterward. “(I’ve got to) keep going back out to practice and keep working hard on the little things. Let them see that I’m really dependable, and just keep the ball high and tight and do all the little things.’’

McKnight, who has been somewhat of a whipping boy for the Jets’ coaches in HBO's “Hard Knocks,’’ entered the game with 29 carries in the preseason for 69 yards. Against the Eagles, he carried the ball nine times in the game – all in the first half – for 34 yards. He also returned one kickoff for 22 yards and one punt, for no gain. He also let two punts go over his head that were downed by the Eagles inside the Jets’ 5-yard line, one at the two and one at the one.

The second of those resulted in John Conner’s carry, which ended with a fumble that was returned by Coleman again for his second touchdown of the half.

Quarterback Kevin O’Connell, who was waived by the Jets Tuesday, found out after being cut that he has a torn labrum in his throwing arm, according to a person with direct knowledge of what O’Connell was told in a follow-up exam.

That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for O’Connell.

O’Connell sustained the injury during the preseason, the person said. After being cut, he sought a second opinion on his right shoulder and learned he has a torn labrum, an injury which requires surgery and months of rehab.

The third-year player was shown being waived in Episode 4 of Hard Knocks, told by general manager Mike Tannenbaum he had not progressed as they had hoped he would to be the team’s long-term No. 2. He would now be due an injury settlement.

The Jets do not confirm injury information for players not on the roster, a team spokesman said.

Ryan said RB Danny Woodhead (12 rushes, 45 yards, one touchdown, one reception for 10 yards) has all but cemented a roster spot. The coach also was impressed by NT Matt Kroul (team-high 5 tackles, two sacks), DL Martin Tevaseu, DB Brian Jackson and DB Emmanuel Cook. The coach was noncommittal on WRs David Clowney and Larry Taylor, and said LB Josh Mauga and S Donovan Warren, who both have been out with concussions, likely will not make the team.

Colin Stephenson: cstephenson@starledger.com

It lookas like we will keep McKnight because of potential- sad that Washington most likely will be the man out.

Can someone still explain why Drew Coleman is on this team.

If Washington is cut, and McKnight is still on the team, then Rex is full of crap. Washington outplayed him all preseason.

Both in the positional battle, and on Specials. If Greene is dinged up during the season, the Jets will long regret cutting Washington

The Jets Stream

by Manish MehtaSeptember 3, 2010 10:12 AM 20 Comments .Jets in process of trimming roster to 53 »

By Manish Mehta

The Jets will be cutting its roster down to the mandatory 53 over the next two days (deadline is Saturday at 6pm). Remember that Santonio Holmes, who will be suspended for the first four games, will not count against the 53-man roster until he returns.

Some of these guys could be back on the practice squad if they clear waivers.

We'll try to keep you updated on the cuts as best as possible.

Fullback Jason Davis is the first to get the ax this morning, according to a source. Not a big surprise after Rex Ryan said he'd keep veteran Tony Richardson and rookie John Conner. Davis, who was solid in the offseason, will surely land on his feet on another team.

Wide Receiver Larry Taylor was also cut, according to a source. Taylor, of course, was battling David Clowney for the final WR spot. Although I haven't received official word yet, it appears now that Clowney will make the roster. The coaches believe he can be a solid gunner on special teams with his size and speed. Again, it's not official yet. But all signs point in that direction right now.

Rex Ryan said last night that rookie LB Josh Mauga & S Don Warren weren't going to make the roster. Both had been plagued by concussions in camp and the preseason.

LB Brashton Satele, who was injured for much of camp and preseason, was cut, per a source.

A few more predictable cuts, per sources: LB Tim Knicky, C Robby Felix and safety Emanuel Cook, who had an INT last night, and recently signed safety Keith Fitzhugh also got the ax.

Source tells me that DTs Martin Tevaseu and Ty Steinkuhler are goners too. That makes 11 cuts thus far. Jets need to make 10 more to get down the appropriate number.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/09/jets-in-process-of-trimming-ro.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fjets+%28Blogs%2FThe+Jet+Stream%29#ixzz0yU3Qr327

Jets' Backup QB Mark Brunell Finds 'Fountain Of Youth'0

Comments

Say Something »

.9/03/2010 3:59 PM ET By Andy Kent

PrintAText SizePrint this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream

Andy Kent

NFL Writer

For most of the preseason, New York Jets veteran backup Mark Brunell looked his age with some anemic performances. But in Thursday night's preseason finale at Philadelphia against the Eagles, the 39-year-old flashed back to his younger days as a Pro Bowl quarterback with the Jacksonville Jaguars and completed 11-of-17 passes for 118 yards and two touchdowns.

Prior to that performance, Brunell was lending some credence to third-string quarterback Kellen Clemens' claims that he was better suited for the backup role and should have been given a fair chance to compete for the job. Although, Clemens could not compete with the intangibles Brunell brings to the table as a mentor to second-year QB Mark Sanchez, he believed his skill set was superior.

Brunell, who used his legs and strong left arm to turn the Jaguars from an expansion afterthought into a perennial playoff team, moved around well on Thursday night and made up for an earlier underthrown pass to Santonio Holmes by hitting him for a 51-yard touchdown pass. His other scoring pass came from two yards out to Jeff Cumberland.

"The old guy's still got it in him," said Holmes, who will miss the first four regular-season games due to a league-imposed suspension for violating the substance abuse policy. "We're definitely excited to have him around. He's been a big inspiration to our team."

Last year, Brunell finally earned that elusive Super Bowl ring as the backup to Drew Brees, and Brees to this day continues to praise Brunell for the leadership he brought to the team and for how much of a help he was in the quarterback room. The Jets are hoping that he has the same impact on the young Sanchez, and as a bonus they want to know that he can still deliver in a pinch should Sanchez get hurt.

New York signed Brunell back in July when he placed himself on the free agent market after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. He immediately had to play catch-up in learning another new offense. (He also played for the Washington Redskins or fourf seasons after being traded by Jacksonville in 2004.)

"I'm real pleased with the progress and feel comfortable with the offense," Brunell said. "Any time you learn a new offense it takes time to get comfortable. But I feel like I'm there now."

Once the final roster is set, Brunell's contract will be worth $1.5 million and that will help him with creditors back in Jacksonville. He actually spoke by phone with from Philadelphia at Section 341 creditors' meeting at U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Jacksonville, as reported in the Financial News & Daily Record.

Money can be the greatest motivator after all

If Washington is cut, and McKnight is still on the team, then Rex is full of crap. Washington outplayed him all preseason.

Both in the positional battle, and on Specials. If Greene is dinged up during the season, the Jets will long regret cutting Washington

Agreed 110%. And, LT aside, he is the only reserve with between-the-tackles ability.

Agreed 110%. And, LT aside, he is the only reserve with between-the-tackles ability.

I concur. :D

Archived