Rex's Tuesday News Conference

Kentucky Jet

Rex's Tuesday News Conference

By Jets Public Relations Department

Posted 1 hour ago

a a Transcript of Jets head coach Rex Ryan's news conference following Tuesday's midday practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center:

The energy was great today. I don’t know why, but it seemed like there were a lot of people, cameras out there today for some reason. I’m not sure what it was [smiling]. A good day. We had what we call a 10-10-10 day. It moves quick. We’ll give the players off on Wednesday and get back on a regular season schedule.

Really, no news to report. Everybody seems fairly healthy. Obviously, Calvin Pace]. I don’t have to give an official on injuries, so you guys are not getting anything [laughter]. We know Calvin won’t play. Brodney [Pool, ankle] is coming around, but he never practiced. We’ll see how he does. Other than that, I think we’re pretty healthy.

On how Darrelle Revis looked…

He looked good. Actually, I’m supposed to say from the defensive staff that he looks slow, maybe we’ll rotate him in. That was from Mike Pettine. I don’t know. We may just spell him a little bit to give Baltimore hope that he’s not out there. Everybody that knows me knows he’s going to play.

On if the Ravens will come after Revis…

I can certainly see them doing that. The guy has missed all of training camp. They should do that. Find him and go to him and go to him often. They’re smarter than that. They’re not coming after him. No way, no chance of it. Last year, there was a stat that he was thrown at more than all but two cornerbacks in the league. I don’t know if that’s a true stat or somebody made it up. It’s crazy. People threw at him because they assumed he’s playing man coverage all the time.

On if his scheme forces teams to throw Revis’ way…

You’re giving us way to much credit. No, it really is. He was matching the best receiver, number one. You’re trying to get the ball to your best receiver. The other thing is he’s in man coverage a lot. There can be loaded zones away from him, but he’s locked in man all the time. It is amazing that people attempted that many passes against him.

On if there is extra game-planning that goes into playing a team like Baltimore that he knows so well…

We’ll put a couple of tweaks in there for them. They definitely know me. I was there for 10 years. I’m sure there are some tendencies that they’ve picked up. Cam [Cameron] and I were going against each other a lot for one season. I’ve got a great deal of respect for those guys. We’ll see what happens.

I understand that Le’Ron McClain was saying that he is happy that Darrelle Revis is playing. I don’t know what’s wrong with Le’Ron [laughter]. He said something about, “Well, there’s no excuses.” We won’t have any excuses if they beat us. You must have us confused with somebody else. I don’t think we make any excuses. Last year, we never had our starting 11 guys on defense for a single game, yet we led the league in defense. We don’t make excuses. All we do is produce. That’s what we plan to do Monday night.

On what their plan is to get Revis back in football shape…

It is a difference between being in shape and being in football shape. I know Dennis [Thurman] took him over privately today to actually get some more air time— I mean to work with Darrelle a little bit [laughter]. He’s hitting, using the tackling machines to get him going a little bit. He’ll work out with Sal [Alosi] tomorrow in the weightroom. We’re confident we have a good plan for him and we’ll see where he’s at. He is a little heavier than where he’s usually at.

On what his leadership expectations are for Mark Sanchez…

He’s there. Nobody has put in more work than Mark has and I think his teammates appreciate that type of work ethic. They know he’s put in more time than anybody else. It’s hard not to respect that. You do respect that. The thing is he just needs to go out and play the position and have fun, lean on the guys around him and build each other up. That’s what we expect from our entire team. He’s no different. Just because he plays the position of quarterback, a lot more is expected from him from leadership. He’s the guy whose hands are on the football all the time. He’s important. There’s no question about it. The guys respect him. They respect his work ethic and they respect the competitor he is. I can tell you that. Every person in this organization respects that.

On how much heavier Revis is…

Like it means anything to us, he’s four or five pounds.

On what skills specific to the cornerback position may be rusty…

You guys saw today. He had a pick, he knocked a ball out, he dropped another one. He was all over the place. He was Darrelle. He’s an amazing guy. To answer your question, I think it would be the coming in and out of breaks, the quick change of directions, the constant playing shape. It’s one sprint after another. He is in great shape. It’s just getting him to where he can set his pads. I think that’s maybe what we’ve got to overcome a little bit.

On if Revis has to do any extra conditioning…

We’ll lean on Sal a little bit for that. He’s a guy that tries to run extra anyways during the year. I’m sure he’ll stay to that routine.

On his expectations for Sanchez…

I just want to win. I don’t care what the numbers are. If we don’t have to throw the ball, that’s fine with me. I’d prefer that. I think if you’re just looking at numbers, he’ll probably turn those interceptions and touchdowns around. I think that would be great if we can do that. I think that would be fine. I don’t want him going out there and focusing on numbers. I just want him to go out and win the game.

On challenging the offense for leadership…

I was challenging the whole team, not just the offense. To me, that’s what we need. We need to have guys step up. It doesn’t matter what position you play or anything else, just be the guy. Be a guy that people can count on and do things right. That’s not hard to do.

On if Kyle Wilson will go back to returning punts…

We’ll definitely give him a shot because I know he’s been itching to go at it. He does an outstanding job back there. I would not be surprised if he’s back there. Jim Leonhard, Jerricho [Cotchery], we’ve got some guys that can return punts, that’s for sure.

On if he’s optimistic that Pool can practice on Thursday…

I’m not sure about that. He had a pretty good ankle sprain. We’ll see. I know he’s getting better. I was telling him that I’m going to ship him back to my brother in Cleveland [smiling]. He actually liked my brother which is like one of the only guys [laughter].

On if he was asked about his Hard Knocks comment regarding DeAngelo Hall…

I never said anything about DeAngelo Hall. I just said something about a player that was out there. Maybe you guys were making an assumption it was DeAngelo Hall. It’s just a thing that you do. I think the guy is a heck of a player, but when you’re out there, there is a different switch that goes on in you. Everybody is against you. That’s how you approach it. If you don’t play for us, we don’t like you and so we’ll say things. Things just come out. Usually it comes right back to you. They fire right back at you most of the time. It’s just one of those things, a little competitive thing that happens sometimes.

On if he sometimes surprises himself when he watches footage of his actions during a game…

Yes, sometimes [laughter]. When you get the game, you’re like "Oh boy." I’m not going to try to change. I’m just going to be myself. I’ve said that. I’m too far gone, I think.

On the progression of Calvin Pace’s injury…

I feel great with him. I think he’s doing things, he’s way ahead where most people are at this time.

On Revis participating in 50 percent of the team drills at practice…

Yes. That was the number we had for him today. I’d say he got maybe 15 to 20 snaps today.

On if he has hope that Pace will be able to play in Week 2…

We’re trying to challenge our doctors and trainers to get him out there. Obviously, we’ve got to do what is in the best interest of Calvin and the team.

On if he believes that Pace will be playing sooner than the reported four to six weeks…

It’s hard to say right now because it’s not like he’s running on it. They’ve got all these different things we do in the tubs. They feel really good about him. I know the surgeon thought it was very successful. Like I said, most of the time now, we know generally, when you come out of a surgery alive, that’s a successful surgery [laughter]. I know I do with the lapband.

On if Pace is back at the facility…

He’s here. We had the team picture today. He almost ruined it, but we had the team picture [smiling].

On what he wants to see from Chauncey Washington in order to get back to the active roster…

There was a guy that was close to making this team, very close. He’s got to continue to be himself and do a job. Sometimes when you just set your roster, the first couple of weeks, a lot of times you’re bringing in guys to see how they fit, then you make adjustments. I think you saw that last year when Danny Woodhead started out on the practice squad and ended up making the team, playing in the playoff games for us. We’ll see. He's just got to work hard and keep doing a great job.

On if Revis’ reps will increase day-by-day…

We’ll probably increase it as we see fit. I think the first day getting out there, I just wanted him to get confidence and we’ll see how the week progresses. You don’t want to have any small tissue type injury pop up where it would limit him on Monday night.

On having Tony Richardson back at practice today…

It was great. I was saying, "Hey, look, all these guys [reporters] are here to see you, T-Rich." [laughter] That was probably the biggest story of the day was T-Rich being back out there.

Archived