Jets News 9-8

flgreen

September 8, 2010

L.McClain seeks to bury the hatchet with Ryan

Le’Ron McClain won’t engage the team’s former defensive coordinator in a back-and-forth exchange.

On Monday, the Ravens fullback said he was happy that New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis had ended his holdout and would play the season opener next Monday night because the Jets would have “no excuses.”

New York coach Rex Ryan fired back on Tuesday, saying, “I don’t know what’s wrong with Le’Ron. He said something about there's no excuses. … He must have us confused with somebody else. I don’t think we make any excuses. Last year, we didn’t have our starting 11 guys on defense for a single game and yet we led the league.”

Ryan added, “We don’t make excuses. All we do is produce ... And that’s what we’re planning to do Monday night.”

After Wednesday’s practice, McClain sought to put out the fire.

“I hope he didn’t take that the wrong way,” he said. “I’m ready to play Monday night. No trash talking. Me and Rex got a good relationship and everything. It’s nothing like that.”

The Jets defense is led by a few colorful personalities in former Ravens linebacker Bart Scott and nose tackle Kris Jenkins, but the Ravens offense has a few talkers in McClain and wide receiver Derrick Mason.

The potential for conversation is what makes Monday night’s tilt interesting, according to McClain.

“It makes it fun a little bit, just from knowing each other and for the respect that we have for each other,” he said. “But like I said, all of it will be won on that field between the hashes on that gridiron. So I’m looking forward to it.”

McClain said he is an avid fan of HBO’s Hard Knocks series, which is following the Jets this season.

“I watch it every week,” he said. “It’s a great show. I wish we could be on there, but it’s a great show, showing in-depth, the inside of training camp. Just something to look forward to. I see they’re having a great one [preseason], and we had a great one.”

Here's What You'll Experience Opening Night

By Jets Staff

Posted 1 hour ago

aaWelcome to the 2010 New York Jets Inaugural Season! This Monday’s Season Opener against the Baltimore Ravens is presented by Bud Light, HBO GO, MAX GO, MasterCard and Pepsi. Here are a few details that you should know:

■ **For Monday, Sept. 13, ticket/parking pass forwarding and resell will be turned off at 1 p.m.**

■ Parking lots open at 2 p.m.

■ Will Call, located at the West Gate, opens at 3:30 p.m.

■ Stadium gates open at 4 p.m.

■ Kickoff is at 7:10 p.m.

Don’t Miss the Concert in the Plaza

You won’t want to miss the 2010 Inaugural Season Opener. Not only because this will be one of the hardest-hitting games of the season but because the Jets have electrifying entertainment lined up in the brand new Plaza area located between the entry gates and the stadium. From 5:30-6:30 p.m. outside the Jets Shop Flagship Store powered by Reebok, come listen to Slash, former lead guitarist of Guns N’ Roses, perform alongside lead singer Myles Kennedy and special guests Nicole Scherzinger, lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls and "Dancing with the Stars" champion, and Jason Bonham.

Get in Your Seats Early

After you listen to the performance in the Plaza, head inside and get in your seats early. Watch the players take the field and then listen to Nicole Scherzinger perform the National Anthem.

And Stay in Your seats at Halftime

Be sure to stay in your seats during half time to watch the multi-platinum rock band Green Day perform live with the Broadway Cast of "American Idiot." The halftime show will conclude with a spectacular fireworks display.

Take the train to the game

Whether you're coming from NYC, New Jersey, Rockland, Westchester, Long Island or even Connecticut, simply take transit to NYC Penn Station (transfer at Secaucus), Secaucus Junction or Hoboken Terminal. From these locations, connect to the Meadowlands Rail Line. The train station is located at the MetLife gate, just steps from the stadium. Click here for further information.

Continue to take the bus

Another popular option is the NJ Transit Direct Bus Service, which offers the No. 351 direct bus service from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to the Meadowlands Sports Complex for all Jets home football games. Use the GAME DAY pass for this transit option, too (kids-ride-free offer does not apply).

Or park remotely

Need a place to park and don’t have a season parking pass? Two popular independently run parking alternatives are Secaucus Park & Ride and Murray Hill Parkway. Secaucus Park & Ride is located at 675 New County Rd @ Seaview Drive in Secaucus and costs $20/game — park your car, then hop on the NJ Transit train. Or use Murray Hill Parkway’s satellite parking, off of Paterson Plank Road and Union Avenue in East Rutherford. The parking lot opens 4 hours prior to kickoff and closes 1 hour after the game ends and costs $25/game, which includes parking and transportation. For more information on both options, click here.

WHAT’S HAPPENING IN THE NEW PLAZA

Don’t forget, if you ever have a question, concern or comment about anything related to your game experience, look for a member of the NEW MEADOWLANDS STADIUM GUEST SERVICES OR NEW YORK JETS CUSTOMER SERVICE, who can either assist you on the spot or help you find someone who can.

Pregame: Leave plenty of time to get to the game and explore the brand new 350,000-square-foot plaza area between the stadium and entry gates, which opens at 4 p.m.

HBO GO & MAX GO: Find a street team member handing out giveaways or watch the breakdancing team perform routines in the plaza.

Photos: Explore the plaza area and find the Jets gameday photographer to get your picture taken and displayed on the Pylons, a.k.a. videoboards at the entry gates, and posted on newyorkjets.com.

Bud Light Corner: Enjoy the railgating experience at the Bud Light gate while listening to the band Dark City Saints perform from 5-7 p.m., as well as DJ Prime from 4-5 p.m. and in between sets.

MetLife Central: Visit the MetLife Central Corner to sign up for your Countdown Card, collect giveaways, and meet Jets alumni and MetLife’s Snoopy.

Verizon Corner: Connect with other fans and explore the array of Wireless and FiOS products with chances to win great giveaways.

Pepsi Corner: Swing by the Pepsi gate on your way in or out for some Pepsi sampling.

Dixieland Band: Jam out with the Dixieland Band, one of New York City's top traditional jazz bands, performing live at the MetLife gate from 5-7 p.m.

Jets Gear: Get your green on at the new Jets Shop Flagship Store powered by Reebok adjacent to the West Great Hall.

Tailgaters: Grill out with Weber/Lobel's as they make sandwiches to your liking in Lot G and in the Bud Light corner.

Premio: Sample food from Premio at their food trailer just outside the Verizon Gate.

Wise Crunch Crew: Pick up some free Wise chips outside the West Gate in the parking lot.

NJ Lottery: Stop by the New Jersey Lottery ticket trailer outside the West Gate and purchase your 2010 Jets Instant Ticket. You could win Jets season tickets for 10 years and up to $100,000 in cash prizes!

On Display: Check out the latest Toyota vehicles on display throughout the plaza area.

Broadcasting: Come listen to the last hour of the ESPN Radio Mike & Mike show from 4-5 p.m., then stay for 1050 ESPN New York’s live pregame radio show with Greg Buttle and Don LaGreca beginning at 5 p.m. at the 1050 ESPN New York stage located between the West Gate and the Verizon Gate.

Generation Jets Fest: Stop by Generation Jets Fest located between the Verizon and MetLife gates.

Flight Crew: Stop in the Jets Shop Flagship Store powered by Reebok to meet members of the Jets Flight Crew, who will be signing the brand new 2011 Flight Crew Swimsuit Calendar from 5:15-6 p.m.

Ping-Pong: Showcase your Ping-Pong skills at four tables set up between the MetLife gate and Bud Light corner.

Chess: Watch 18-year-old chess grandmaster Robert Hess take on 20 opponents at the Verizon Gate at 5:30 p.m. Swing by from 4-5:30 p.m. and play some chess before the exhibit starts.

3-D Art: Renowned "illusionistic" artist Kurt Wenner has created a 3-D image commemorating Curtis Martin's 100th career touchdown. Come take a photo with the artwork near the JetBlue gate.

ENTERTAINMENT

Pregame Concert: Slash, Myles Kennedy, Nicole Scherzinger and Jason Bonham

National Anthem: Nicole Scherzinger

Halftime Show: Green Day and Broadway Cast of American Idiot.

You won’t want to miss the star-studded entertainment lineup both pregame in the plaza and in the bowl for the National Anthem and Halftime show. This will be a season opener that you won’t forget.

Bring the noise and welcome back the air raid siren on defense!

If you missed preseason, make sure to check out all the new Jets graphics around the stadium and the new Jets wall wrap. Enjoy every play like you’re at home by watching the massive videoboards placed in each corner. You’ll also get live updates featuring game stats, scoring summaries, drive charts and QB comparisons.

For those in the Clubs and Suites, enjoy some Jets Uncorked, limited-release 2008 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, available for purchase. And for all Jets fans, visit newyorkjets.com/uncorked to uncork your own

Wednesday, September 8, 2010Jets vs. Ravens: First Look

Follow Turn On The Jets on Facebook and Twitter (@TurnOnTheJets)

The Opponent: Along with the Jets and the Indianapolis Colts, the Baltimore Ravens are widely being selected as a favorite in the AFC. Coming off a 9-7 season in which they grabbed a wild-card spot in the week 17, Baltimore improved their offense this off-season with the addition of wide receiver Anquan Boldin and the recent signing receiver of TJ Houshmandzadeh. However, there is some concern about their secondary, with All-World safety Ed Reed beginning the season on the PUP list and starting cornerback Dominique Foxworth out for the year with a torn ACL. Regardless, Baltimore is a team cut in a similar mold to the Jets. They want to run the football and play an aggressive style of defense. This week one match-up could very well foreshadow a future playoff game between these two teams.

Baltimore Ravens Starters/Key Reserves

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Joe Flacco - 63.1 completion percentage, 21 TDs, 12 INTs

Running Back: Ray Rice - 1339 rushing yards, 702 receiving yards, 8 TDs

Running Back: Willis McGahee - 544 rushing yards, 85 receiving yards, 14 TDs

Fullback: Le'Ron McClain - 180 rushing yards, 2 TDs

Wide Receiver: Anquan Boldin - 84 receptions, 1024 yards, 4 TDs

Wide Receiver: Derrick Mason - 73 receptions, 1028 yards, 7 TDs

Wide Receiver: TJ Houshmandzadeh - 79 receptions, 911 yards, 3 TDs

Tight End: Todd Heap - 53 receptions, 593 yards, 6 TDs

Left Tackle: Michael Oher

Left Guard: Ben Grubbs

Center: Matt Birk

Right Guard: Marshal Yanda

Right Tackle: Jared Gaither

DEFENSE

Defensive End: Cory Redding - 2o tackles

Nose Tackle: Kelly Gregg - 46 tackles, 3 sacks

Defensive End: Haloti Ngata - 25 tackles, 1.5 sacks

Defensive End: Trevor Pryce - 6.5 sacks

Outside Linebacker: Jarrett Johnson - 36 tackles, 6 sacks

Inside Linebacker: Ray Lewis - 95 tackles, 3 sacks

Inside Linebacker: Dannell Ellerbe - 34 tackles, 1 INT

Outside Linebacker: Terrell Suggs - 44 tackles, 4.5 sacks

Corner: Chris Carr - 38 tackles, 2 INTs

Corner: Fabian Washington - 34 tackles, 6 passes defensed

Safety: Dawan Landry - 70 tackles, 4 INTs

Safety: Tom Zbikowski - 24 tackles, 2 INTs

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker: Billy Cundiff - 12/17 FGs

Punter: Sam Koch - 43.7 yards per punt

Kick Return: Jalen Parmele - 9 KRs, 283 yards

Punt Return: Chris Carr - 8.2 yards per return

Key Players - Running back Ray Rice is the Ravens biggest weapon and is coming off a monster season. He is a threat to break a big play at any moment and has terrific hands out of the backfield. Rice reminds me of a younger LaDainian Tomlinson. At receiver, Anquan Boldin is a pro-bowl caliber player who will be a good early test for Darrelle Revis. Joe Flacco can be inconsistent at times but still has a big time arm. Ray Lewis remains one of the best linebackers in the NFL and the Ravens pass rush is led by Terrell Suggs and Trevor Pryce. Dawan Landry is a dangerous player at safety.

Injuries - Outside of Ed Reed, the Ravens will likely also be without corner Lardarius Webb further hurting their secondary depth. Don't expect Jets starting safety Brodney Pool to suit on Monday, which moves Eric Smith into the starting lineup. The Jets are also without tap pass rusher Calvin Pace, who recently had foot surgery.

Key Storylines - Battle of expected AFC heavyweights...Rex Ryan going against his former team...Does Revis Island still exist?...Can Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco be consistent...Time for the Jets to put their money where their mouth is.

Joe Caporoso is the New York Jets correspondent for (TurnontheJets.com) and is an Associate Editor with Fanball.com. His writing is also featured at RotoTimes.com, Comcast.Net, and Pro Football NYC. You can follow his work onFacebook, Twitter, Digg,Ballhype, and YouTube.

No. 80′s Back to Chat with Us Every Thursday

Posted by Randy Lange on September 8, 2010 – 4:39 pm

Wayne Chrebet was and is a hard-nosed North Jersey kind of guy who had a great style on the field as the Jets’ iconic No. 80 and a great no-nonsense way of expressing himself away from the gridiron.

“I just kind of snuck up on people,” he told me for my 2005 book, “Stadium Stories: New York Jets.” “I like that. It’s nice proving people wrong.”

And about why he and Laveranues Coles, who just ended his third tour with the Jets two weeks ago, got along so well: “We both have that big old chip on our shoulders that we’re not going to get rid of.”

And about becoming the NFL symbol of the underdog: “It’s all about giving people joy and hope and I think I’ve done that.”

So why am I taking this trip down memory lane, talking about what one of the favorite Jets of all time told me early in the year in which he retired as a member of the Green & White? Only because soon we’ll be able hear Wayne talk to us about days past, present and future once again.

As soon as tomorrow.

Chrebet will be joining us here at newyorkjets.com as a guest blogger for the 2010 season. He’ll be checking in weekly with us and with you, mostly on Thursdays, which is a great platform from which to talk about the state of the current Jets and what he remembers most fondly from his 11-year playing career, which of his 580 career regular-season catches still resonates with him,

You’ll be able to offer up comments to No. 80 at the end of each blog, just as you might with one of my blogs. We’ll pass all your comments on to Chrebet and he may occasionally take some time in one of his blogs to answer some of your most pressing questions for him.

Wayne’s first blog is in the house and I can tell you it reads just like vintage Chrebet when he talked to reporters and fans from the Weeb Ewbank Hall locker room or back in the old locker room at the old Meadowlands stadium, which is no more.

But Chrebet still has more to say and you can catch it all here on newyorkjets.com, beginning Thursday morning ahead of the Jets-Ravens media crunch that will begin tomorrow afternoon.

“Hard Knocks”: It’s a Wrap

The series finale of “Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the New York Jets” airs tonight. Part of the 24-person NFL Films crew was at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center through Tuesday, which means, of course, that they got all the “good stuff” involving Darrelle Revis ending his holdout and returning to Tuesday’s practice.

After tonight’s 10 p.m. show and immediate “encore” airing at 11 p.m. on HBO, here are the remaining playdates for the final episode in the coming seven days:

HBO playdates: Thursday (2:30 p.m., midnight), Friday (11:30 a.m., 7 p.m., midnight), Saturday (10 a.m., midnight), Sunday (8 a.m.) and Monday (9 a.m., 1 a.m.). HBO2 playdates: Saturday (midnight), Tuesday, Sept. 14 (7 p.m.).

Munoz Court Case Could Mean Trouble for Jets, Giants0

Comments

Say Something »

.9/08/2010 11:07 AM ET By Andy Kent

PrintAText SizePrint this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream

Andy Kent

NFL Writer

I'm actually surprised this did not come up years ago based on the reputation of Jets fans, but after some unruly fans allegedly went way over the line at last September's regular-season game between the Jets and New England Patriots at the old Giants Stadium. Since that structure was operated jointly by the Giants and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, they were the only ones named in a lawsuit by 43-year-old Michelle Munoz, as reported in the Star-Ledger.

If the facts in her suit are indeed accurate, it really shines a bad light on that group of Jets fans who allegedly took issue with a sign Munoz's 14-year-old daughter, Danielle, was holding up from her seat. The sign read simply, "I Love Tom Brady." Munoz's two 11-year-old sons also were sitting with her, and her husband, Randy, was nearby. As the Jets fans got more aggressive and shouted profanities at the girl.

A tussle ensued and Randy Munoz came to his family's aid, and according to the lawsuit, security guards in the area didn't step in so the situation escalated. According to the suit, Randy Munoz was punched, kicked and thrown over a row of bleacher seats. Who knows how long this process will take, but for the Jets, they won't be able to escape if this happens at the New Meadowlands Stadium as that building is owned by both teams.

The suit seeks unspecified damages, but Randy Munoz is claiming he is still experiencing pain related to the incident. If the family ends up proving its case in court, then the Giants will be the ones feeling pain in their wallets, and if that happens, I foresee a more contentious relationship between the two teams going forward, being as they are not fond of each other to begin with.

NFL Season Tickets Decline for 3rd Straight SeasonBy THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: September 8, 2010

Sign In to E-Mail

Print

. Filed at 4:37 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Third down has a new meaning in the NFL this season.

Season ticket sales declined for the third year in a row as teams struggle to get fans to the stadium in a weak economy.

Depending on the final numbers, season ticket sales will be down between 1 percent and 2 percent, according to Eric Grubman, the league's executive vice president for business ventures.

''I wouldn't say we're pleased,'' Grubman said Wednesday on the eve of the season opener between Minnesota and New Orleans.

Still, the drop could have been worse given the financial climate in the United States, he said.

''It's been a tough economic time, and we have a sport that's full of passion and competition, and people love that,'' he said during a telephone interview with The Associated Press. ''So, by virtue of that, people really do try to hold onto their season tickets or buy new ones if they can.''

Grubman said overall attendance declined from 17 million in 2008 to 16.6 million last year. Average regular-season attendance dropped from each year from 2006 (68,774) to 2009 (67,509), according to STATS LLC.

''It's hard to draw a pattern across 32 clubs,'' Grubman said. ''There are clearly some clubs that are down more than others. It would be a special circumstance for a club to be up. I think in general the trend is flat to down, and clubs that have perennially sold out tickets, they've probably held their own and are flat.''

Grubman said most teams left their average ticket price relatively unchanged. The Team Marketing Report has not released 2010 figures.

''I believe our average ticket price is up slightly, and that is the consequence in all likelihood of opening of new stadiums,'' he said.

The New York Giants and Jets have moved into the New Meadowlands Stadium, and both teams will open the regular season at home -- the Giants on Sunday against Carolina and the Jets on Monday night against Baltimore.

Archived