Jets News 9-8

flgreen

Sanchez Knows He's on the Leading Edge

By Eric Allen

Posted 1 hour ago

aaMark Sanchez might be making just his 19th NFL start (including playoffs) Monday night against the Ravens, but the 23-year-old is convinced that he can be a leader for the Jets in his second pro season.

“I think I’m learning every day from a guy like [Mark] Brunell, becoming more assertive as a leader each day,” he said this afternoon in front of his locker in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “Just when I see a lull in practice, being able to tell a guy, ‘Hey man, I need you now.’ Being able to go up to guys individually, and making sure when we start our third-down period that I go tell the guys just to remind them, ‘Hey we’re going to third down. We have to hustle up and get to the line so we can go through our checks. I’m really going to need your tempo now.’ ”

Sanchez, who was continually praised for his worth ethic this offseason, has a better understanding of coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s offense, has improved his knowledge of protections and should be quicker when going through his reads.

“You can’t call on other guys and call on them to be accountable when you don’t know your reads, when you’re messing with the snap count and not understanding why the play is being run at a certain time,” he said. “When you’re throwing interceptions, it’s hard to tell guys, ‘I need you to hurry up now. I need you to do this.’ ”

In a quarterback league, the Jets need Sanchez to take the next step. He doesn’t have to be Brady, Brees or Manning, but the Green & White will be hard-pressed to improve their 9-7 regular-season mark from a year ago if Sanchez repeats as a 53 percent passer with 20 INTs.

“This year is about taking care of the ball, understanding the situation, and no matter what, getting the most completions you possibly can,” said Sanchez, who completed 65 percent of his passes this preseason. “If we have 12 attempts, you want to be 12-for-12. It doesn’t mean you have to pass for 300 yards, it can be 80 yards, but they can be key completions that move drives that convert on third down and that can really help us.”

While the Jets don’t want Sanchez to play recklessly, they don’t want him to be robotic on the field, either. He’s a passionate player and teammates can feed off his excitement.

“The thing is he just needs to go out and play the position and have fun, lean on the guys around him and build each other up," said head coach Rex Ryan. "That’s what we expect from our entire team. “He’s no different. Just because he plays the position of quarterback, a lot more is expected from him from a leadership standpoint. He’s the guy whose hands are on the football all the time. He’s important, there’s no question about it. The guys respect him. They respect his work ethic and they respect the competitor he is. I can tell you that — every person in this organization respects that.”

Comparing his job description to that of a basketball pointguard, Sanchez said all he has to do is facilitate the jobs of his teammates. The situation is favorable considering the Jets have the NFL’s best defense, their ground game should be punishing again and Sanchez won’t be asked to be a miracle worker.

“I’m thrilled about the growth I’ve had. It seems like in just one year, it feels like just so much experience from playing,” he said. “All that game experience has really helped in these situations in practice and the situations that come up this year, hopefully I’m better and more prepared.”

Last season, the Jets were 6-1 in contests (his injury-shortened Dec. 3 contest vs. Buffalo included) in which Sanchez attempted 22 or fewer passes. New York’s AFC representative captured games in Week 1 and Week 3 when Sanchez threw 31 times and 30 times against the Texans and Titans, respectively, but they were 0-4 the rest of the way (including the AFC Championship) when the rookie dialed it up 30 times or more.

When asked if he was prepared to throw the rock 35 times if necessary, Sanchez delivered a response you’d like to hear from a rifleman.

“As a quarterback, you’d love to throw it every play. I mean, that would be your favorite," he said. "But it’s important for us not to lose our identity and be able to play — to be an all-weather offense, to be able to ground and pound when we need to, and at the same time, when it calls to open things up and throw the ball down the field, we want to be able to do that as well. And that’s going to depend on my growth and I definitely think we can do that this year.”

Jets Re-Sign Richardson, Sign 3 To Practice Squad

September 8, 2010 6:19 AM

Print Share 0

(Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

From ccolton

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) – Tony Richardson is back paving the way for the New York Jets’ running game.

The veteran fullback was re-signed Tuesday, two days after he was cut. Richardson practiced and will play in the season opener against Baltimore on Monday night at the New Meadowlands Stadium.

“I actually called down to Miami and I talked to D-Wade and LeBron to see if they needed help down there,” Richardson quipped. “I think they were set, so I thought this was my best opportunity to win a championship.”

The Jets also made several other moves Tuesday, including releasing wide receiver Patrick Turner, who was claimed off waivers from Miami on Sunday. The move leaves New York with three true wide receivers on the roster in Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith, along with running back Danny Woodhead, who has been used as a slot receiver in the past.

Santonio Holmes is suspended for the first four games of the season after violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. Former CFL star Larry Taylor is the only other wide receiver the Jets have, but he’s on their practice squad.

The Jets also filled out their eight-player practice squad, signing running back Chauncey Washington, a preseason standout; defensive tackle Jarron Gilbert, a former Bears third-round pick; and linebacker Cody Brown, a second-round pick of the Cardinals a year ago.

To make room on the squad, New York released linebacker Ricky Foley and defensive back Donovan Warren.

Richardson said his release caught him off guard when the team told him Sunday, but had to let the move “play out.”

The Jets needed depth at the cornerback position, not knowing when Darrelle Revis would end his contract holdout, so they kept undrafted free agent Brian Jackson over Richardson. Once Revis agreed to a four-year deal late Sunday night, the Jets decided to bring Richardson back and release Jackson.

The 38-year-old Richardson, who was released for the first time since Dallas cut him in 1994, was evasive when asked if any other team reached out to him during his one day of unemployment.

“It really wasn’t upsetting,” Richardson said. “It’s the nature of the NFL, and NFL stands for ‘Not For Long,’ so you try not to let it get to you.”

Darrelle Revis' workload will gradually increase after light practice with Jets

Published: Wednesday, September 08, 2010, 5:00 AM

Brendan Prunty/The Star-Ledger

Follow Share this story

Story tools

Matt Rainey/The Star-LedgerAt his first post-holdout practice with the Jets Tuesday, Darrelle Revis took part in 50 percent of the team’s drills, which amounted to somewhere between 15 to 20 snaps.

Share During the Jets’ warm-ups Tuesday, two coaches broke out footballs for tossing to the defensive backs. The $46 million man was quite rusty. So naturally, the fix was in. The first ball? It was headed for one guy: Darrelle Revis.

And he dropped it.

Hooting, hollering and laughter ensued. After a 36-day holdout, the message was clear from Revis’ teammates: Welcome back.

“Nobody beat me deep today,” Revis quipped after practice. “But I think I need to get my legs up under me a little bit, but we’re focusing on that. I did some individual (workouts) by myself a little bit and they put me in team stuff. I’m taking it slow, but it’s like hurrying up and waiting sometimes.”

Despite the confident talk from the Jets’ highest-profile player, the view of Revis’ inaugural practice of the 2010 season was a positive one. Except for being slightly overweight — head coach Rex Ryan said Revis was “four or five pounds or something like that” — Day One for Revis went according to plan.

After ending his holdout late Sunday night and making his first public comments on Monday afternoon, Revis had a relatively easy first day.

He took part in 50 percent of the team’s drills, which amounted to somewhere between 15 to 20 snaps, in Ryan’s estimation. After missing the entire preseason, the coaching staff wasn’t about to throw their best defensive player in the deep end on his first day.

“You don’t want to have any small-tissue-type injuries popping up, where it would limit him on Monday night,” Ryan said. Ryan later added that the team would gradually increase Revis’ work load over the next five days before the season-opener against the Baltimore Ravens on “Monday Night Football.”

Even though Revis’ skills are well documented — he was thrown at just 98 times last season and surrendered 37 receptions — he is going to have some rust. Even though he spent the holdout working out and staying in playing shape, Ryan doesn’t believe Revis is in “football shape” just yet.

And with three challenging tests right out of the gate — Ravens WR Anquan Boldin (Week 1), Patriots WR Randy Moss (Week 2) and Dolphins WR Brandon Marshall (Week 3) — Revis will need to snap into football shape quickly.

Having not played a down of live football since the AFC Championship Game last January, it would be easy to think the Ravens will target Revis. However, his teammates believe that whatever rust Revis has only serves as camouflage for his prodigious skills.

“That would be great,” linebacker Bart Scott said when asked if he welcomed the thought of Baltimore targeting Revis. “That would mean (our offense would) be on a short field.”

Ryan knows the staff he was formerly a part of is too smart for that.

“Find him and go to him, and go to him often,” Ryan said sarcastically, before buttoning up. “They’re smarter than that. They’re not coming after him. No way. No chance.”

Despite being limited Tuesday, Revis found time to make plays. He picked off two passes — one from Mark Brunell, one from Kellen Clemens — and had a few pass break-ups.

Revis knows he’ll have to catch up and he’ll be cramming on his playbook all the way up until Monday afternoon, but he accepts it.

“This is my situation,” he said. “This is something that I had to deal with in my career — of holding out for a little bit and getting the contract done — so this is my situation. Everybody else has been here, but I have to do what I have to do. I’ve got to prepare the best way I can.”

Brendan Prunty: bprunty@starledger.com

Darrelle Revis ready to be tested by Joe Flacco and Ravens when Jets open season Monday night

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, September 8th 2010, 4:00 AM

Harbus for NewsNew York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis speaks with reporters after his first practice with the team following a 36-day holdout. He takes 15-20 snaps during team drills. Take our PollGang Green Dream

How do you think the Jets will fare in 2010?

Rex Ryan and Gang will back up the talk and be Super Bowl bound

A playoff team, but not a title contender

It's the Jets, they'll figure out a way to disappoint

He instilled fear in opponents last season by making wide receivers vanish with eerie regularity. For five months, Revis Island became a lonely place, a Bermuda Triangle of sorts, where some of the league's best were lost for four quarters.

Darrelle Revis silenced every superstar who crossed his path a year ago, but the Jets cornerback fully expects the Baltimore Ravens to attack him after his prolonged absence. Revis, who participated in half of the team drills - about 15-20 snaps - in his first practice Tuesday after a 36-day holdout, is convinced that Joe Flacco & Co. will be gunning for him in the Monday night opener.

"I'm sure that's in their game plan," Revis said. "(Teams) shied away last year from me. In my mind, I think (the Ravens) are going to attack me just because I haven't played football (in a while). They know the player I am and they know I can cover. I'm sure they're going to come at me any way they can."

Revis, of course, was MIA during training camp and the preseason, mired in a complicated and sometimes contentious contract impasse that ended late Sunday night with a four-year, $46 million deal ($32 million guaranteed).

The fourth-year pro admitted that he's eager to build on his historic 2009 season. First up: A revamped Ravens offense loaded with weapons, including the physical Anquan Boldin.

"I'm sure they have confidence in their guys that they can beat me," Revis said. "It's going to be a dogfight. I'm ready for it. I'm prepared."

On his first day back, Revis felt right at home, looking every bit like the guy who has emerged as the league's best cover corner. He spent the first portion of practice working with defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman on individual work. During team drills, he nearly had a one-handed interception off Mark Brunell (his feet weren't in bounds), another near-pick and a pair of pass breakups.

"He's still that talented," safety Jim Leonhard said. "That hasn't changed. You saw that in Day 1. He's impressive. You hope teams feel like they can target him. I feel confident once he gets on that field, he'll be exactly who he was last year."

Revis told the Daily News that he had a specific workout routine that mirrored the Jets' schedule. On days the team had two-a-day practices in Cortland, Revis was either in Arizona or Florida working out twice a day, too.

His only flaw upon his return was imperceptible: Rex Ryan said Revis was about 4-5 pounds overweight.

Ryan also didn't believe his former team would be foolish enough to test Revis.

"They're smarter than that," Ryan said. "They're not coming after him. No way. No chance."

The coach also chimed in on Ravens running back Le'Ron McClain's admission that he was "glad they got (Revis) back, so, there won't be no excuses now."

"I don't know what's wrong with 'Ron," Ryan said. "He must have us confused with somebody else. We don't make excuses. All we do is produce. That's what we plan on doing Monday night."

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

It time for Jets QB to show he’s a leader

Jets BlogLast Updated: 6:58 AM, September 8, 2010

Posted: 2:13 AM, September 8, 2010

Comments: 1 More Print Steve Serby

Now it’s on Mark Sanchez.

Darrelle Revis was back on the practice field yesterday beginning his force-fed training camp, and now the ball is in the young quarterback’s hands.

Rex Ryan willed the Jets to the 2009 AFC Championship game with a rookie quarterback who was a follower.

Now Thomas Jones is gone and Alan Faneca is gone and Sanchez is not a rookie anymore. He is the quarterback for a head coach who expects to beat each and every team on the schedule, starting with the Ravens on Monday night. He is the quarterback for a “Hard Knocks” team that is now the hunted.

Anthony J. Causi / New York Post

Mark Sanchez

He better be ready to be the leader. Because as he goes, his team goes.

If his touchdown-interception ratio doesn’t flip to 20-12, or close to it, there will be no Super Bowl.

Can you be the leader this offense needs?

“Absolutely . . . I know for a fact I can,” he said. “I’m learning every day from a guy like [backup QB Mark] Brunell . . . becoming more assertive as a leader each day. . . . When I see a lull in practice, being able to talk to a guy, ‘Hey man, I need ya now.’ Going up to guys individually, making sure when we start our third-down period that I go tell the guys, just to remind them, ‘Hey, we’re going to third down, we gotta hustle up, get to the line, see what’s goin’ on, so we can go through our checks and really go, I need your tempo now, I’m callin’ on ya.’ And that takes you knowing what’s goin’ on, you being accountable with your responsibilities, reads and everything in order to call on other guys. So I think my growth has helped me assert myself as a leader.”

If this year is day, last year was night.

“You can’t call on other guys and expect them to be accountable when you don’t know the reads . . . when you’re messin’ with the snap count and not understanding why the play’s being run at a certain time. . . . You’re throwing interceptions, it’s hard to tell guys, ‘Hey I need ya to hurry up now, I need you to do this,’ ” Sanchez said. “It’s like, ‘Man, you do your job.’ ”

In Sanchez they trust.

“They know that he’s put in more time than anybody else,” Ryan said, “so it’s hard not to respect that. They respect his work ethic and they respect the kind of competitor he is, I can tell you that, every person in this organization respects that.”

Sanchez wanted this team, this stage, this opportunity. Now he gets the pressure that comes with it.

“I think most importantly it’s about reminding yourself that you have guys like Braylon [Edwards] and Jerricho [Cotchery],” Sanchez said. “Dustin [Keller is] having a great camp, offensive line’ll keep your jersey clean, the running backs’ll take pressure off you. ... So when you think about it that way, it’s, ‘don’t put too much pressure on yourself, don’t try and do too much and be ready to just be the point guard,” Sanchez said. “Get the ball out of your hands, and take care of it.”

Who was your favorite point guard and why?

“Gotta be Magic,” Sanchez said. “He had all the talent around him too. I mean, he could make plays when he needed to ... hopefully I envision myself as a scoring point guard a little bit. Maybe not like a Steve Nash that goes for 30 or something, but . . . get my solid 10-12 points, that’d be nice.”

Ground & Pound is all well and good. It’s time for Sanchez to engineer the Ground & Sound.

“As a quarterback, you love to throw it every play,” Sanchez said. “But it’s important for us not to lose our identity

and to be an all-weather offense, to be able to ground and pound where we need to, and then at the same time, when it calls to open things up and throw down the

field, we want to be able to do that as well, and that’s gonna depend on my growth. . . . I think we can definitely do that this year.”

No color codes. No recklessness. “If we have 12 attempts, you want to be 12-for-12, and it doesn’t mean you need 300 yards,” Sanchez said. “It could be 80 yards.”

“If you’re just looking at numbers, he’ll probably turn those interceptions and touchdowns around,” Ryan said. “But I don’t want him to go out there focusing on numbers. I just want to go out and try to win the game.”

The game? “Monday can’t come soon enough,” Sanchez said.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/it_time_for_jets_qb_to_show_he_leader_MGRnHhABxYtjpsq6oSh7nJ?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0ywIPwHmI

Raven’s ‘excuses’ comment prompts rant from Ryan

Jets BlogBy MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 6:33 AM, September 8, 2010

Posted: 2:15 AM, September 8, 2010

Comments: 0 More Print What would a Jets game week be without a dose of Rex Ryan Bravado?

With the Jets-Ravens season opener looming Monday night, Ryan yesterday responded to a comment made by Ravens fullback LeRon McClain, who told reporters in Baltimore he is happy the Jets finally signed Darrelle Revis, “so there won’t be any excuses now.”

“I don’t know what’s wrong with LeRon,” Ryan shot back yesterday. “He said something about there’s no excuses. . . . He must have us confused with somebody else. I don’t think we make any excuses. Last year, we didn’t have our starting 11 guys on defense for a single game and yet we led the league.

“We don’t make excuses. All we do is produce . . . and that’s what we’re planning to do Monday night.”

* Yesterday not only marked Revis’ return to practice but also featured the return of veteran fullback Tony Richardson, who was released on Sunday only to be re-signed Monday in a roster maneuver.

Richardson yesterday refuted the notion that he knew of the Jets’ plans.

“It definitely caught me off guard. There are no guarantees and certainties in this league. I had to let it play out,” he said. “I didn’t know I’d be back. Mike [Tannenbaum, general manager] said, ‘Look at your opportunities and see what’s out there.’

“I called to Miami and talked to [Dwyane] Wade and LeBron [James] to see if they needed some help down there and they were set, so I felt this was my best opportunity to win a championship.”

Asked if it was upsetting to be cut, the first time that had happened to him since he was axed by the Cowboys in 1994, Richardson said, “It wasn’t upsetting. It’s the nature of the NFL, and NFL stands for ‘not for long.’ You try not to let things get to you.”

* Safety Brodney Pool, who is rehabbing an injured ankle, again sat out practice, doing some running on the side. Pool said he hopes to return to practice tomorrow or Friday. Ryan said he is unsure when Pool will return. It looks at the moment like Eric Smith could end up starting against Baltimore.

* Ryan said that he “wouldn’t be surprised” to see rookie cornerback Kyle Wilson returning punts now that he does not have to start in place of Revis. When Wilson was penciled in as a starting corner, the Jets felt he had too much on his plate to return punts.

* Ryan sounded optimistic about the progress linebacker Calvin Pace is making after having surgery on his right foot. “He’s way ahead of where most guys would be at this time,” Ryan said.

The Jets added running back Chauncey Washington, who was cut after a strong preseason, to their practice squad.

The Jets players are off today and will practice tomorrow through Saturday.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/raven_excuses_comment_prompts_rant_q1LuysAKOQ6A2LrNSvOHkL?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0ywIpyFt5

Jets' Revis ready to defend his Island

Jets BlogBy MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 6:58 AM, September 8, 2010

Posted: 2:17 AM, September 8, 2010

Comments: 3 More Print Darrelle Revis expects Revis Island to be a busy place this Monday night when the Jets play the Ravens in their season opener.

Revis and the Jets welcome the tourism.

Revis, who practiced yesterday for the first time since he ended his 36-day contract holdout on Monday, said he is prepared for as many flights as the Ravens want to send to his island.

“I think they’re going to come at me,” Revis said. “I think Monday night the Ravens will come at me because I haven’t been in camp and I haven’t been playing football for a while. I’m sure that’s in their game plan.

Jeff Zelevansky

WELCOME BACK: Cornerback Darrelle Revis returned to Jets practice yesterday after his 36-day contract holdout.

“They might mix a few receivers in there, like on first down they might have Anquan [boldin] in there and then they might sub someone else in to get me a little bit tired. In my mind, I think they are going to attack me because I haven’t played football.”

Revis insisted he won’t shy away from the challenge. Coach Rex Ryan and Revis’ teammates basically dared the Ravens, Ryan’s former team, to come after Revis.

“I can certainly see them doing that,” Ryan said with a touch of his patented sarcasm. “The guy missed all of training camp, so they should do that. Find him and go to him and go to him often.”

Ryan than switched off his sarcastic tone.

“They’re smarter than that,” he said. “They’re not coming after him. No way. No chance.”

Ryan did note that he saw a statistic that showed Revis was thrown at more than all but two cornerbacks in the league last year.

“Teams know he’s playing man coverage all the time and he’s matching up against the best receiver, and teams try to get the ball to their best receiver,” Ryan said.

“That would be great — [that means] our offense will be on a short field,” linebacker Bart Scott said of the Ravens going after Revis, referring to him making interceptions to give the ball back to the offense.

“I hope they do,” safety Jim Leonhard said. “I’m sure they will. He has only a week to get in game shape. Everything I know about Darrelle, I say, ‘Go ahead and throw over there.’ We’ll take our chances. He’s not any worse of a player than he was last year. We’re excited to have him back.”

Safety Brodney Pool said the Ravens “probably think he’s a little rusty, but his rustiness is better than most people’s best. He’s a special guy.”

Revis welcomes the action should the Ravens target him.

“I like the competition, I really do,” he said. “[Joe] Flacco is a good quarterback, and they’ve got a great receiving corps. I’m sure they have confidence in their guys that they can beat me. I’m ready for it and I’m preparing for it.”

Revis took baby steps in practice yesterday, working in about half of the team drills and spending some extra time with defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman on individual drills.

“He looked good,” Leonhard said of Revis’ first practice. “There are a few little things we changed and tweaked that he’ll have to get up to speed in a hurry on, but with what we do with him it’s, ‘You got him.’ Having him back is going to be huge.”

During today’s off day, Revis will be at the facility doing some extra weight room work to try to accelerate his progress.

Revis conceded that he went to bed extra early on Monday night and was “anxious” for his first practice. He had several pass breakups, dropped one interception chance that he said he bobbled off his helmet and thought he reeled in a nice one-handed pick but was ruled out of bounds on the play.

“It felt good to get my hands on the ball,” he said. “It was a breakthrough getting back onto the field and getting used to the guys again. I’m fine right now. Nobody beat me deep today. I just need to get my legs in front of me a little bit and we’re focusing on that. It’s like hurry up and wait.”

mcannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/revis_ready_to_defend_his_island_owxYfrunQ5mhCOYSYgFaZN?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0ywJ91STK

Jets' Revis gets ribbed by teammates

By Dennis Waszak Jr. • The Associated Press • September 8, 2010

— The ball tipped off Darrelle Revis' hands, then his helmet, and popped into the air before falling to the ground. The Jets' cornerback knew exactly what was coming next.

"Rusty!" shouted some teammates. Another yelled: "You've been chilling all camp, having a good time at the beach, huh?"

It was all in good fun, as Revis enjoyed the ribbing during a mostly sharp first practice Tuesday. He was back with the team after ending a 36-day contract holdout Monday by signing a four-year deal.

"It was a breakthrough, I think, just being back on the field," Revis said, "and getting used to the guys out there, clownin' and joking."

There was plenty of that, especially when Revis missed that interception late in practice after the media viewing period was over.

"We looked at him and were like, when it hits those hands, we expect it to be in there," defensive end Vernon Gholston said. "Any little slip he made, any mistake, everyone was on him. But really, we were just happy having him out."

Coach Rex Ryan said Revis is about 4 or 5 pounds over his playing weight of around 198 and is working himself into football shape. Revis is still expected to play in the opener vs. Baltimore Monday night.

Fullback comes back: Tony Richardson is back paving the way for the running game.

The Jets' veteran fullback was re-signed Tuesday, two days after he was cut. Richardson practiced and will play in the season opener.

Richardson, 38, said his release caught him off guard when the team told him Sunday, but he had to let things "play out." He was evasive when asked if any other team reached out to him during his one day of unemployment.

"It really wasn't upsetting," Richardson said. "It's the nature of the NFL, and NFL stands for 'Not For Long,' so you try not to let it get to you."

Roster moves: The Jets released receiver Patrick Turner, who had been claimed off waivers from Miami Sunday. The move leaves the Jets with three true wide receivers on the roster in Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith, along with running back Danny Woodhead, who has been used as a slot receiver in the past.

The Jets also filled out their eight-player practice squad, signing running back Chauncey Washington; defensive tackle Jarron Gilbert, a former Bears third-round pick; and linebacker Cody Brown, a second-round pick of the Cardinals a year ago. To make room on the squad, the Jets released linebacker Ricky Foley and defensive back Donovan Warren.

Jets notes: Homecoming for Darrelle Revis

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Record

Homecoming Day

Not only did Darrelle Revis return to practice Tuesday for the Jets, but so did fullback Tony Richardson, released Sunday in a curious move.

Richardson, entering his 17th season in the NFL, was philosophical about what happened, and even was able to joke about it after practice.

Richardson, who will play against Baltimore on Monday, declined to reveal any details about his conversations Sunday with coach Rex Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum after he had been informed that he was being released. He was happy to be back after an unplanned day off from practice, although he indicated it wasn’t a sure thing that the Jets would bring him back.

Help wanted at WR?

The Jets waived wide receiver Patrick Turner, who had practiced with the team for only two days after being claimed off waivers from Miami on Sunday. The Jets have only three wideouts on their 53-man roster, Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith. They could sign undrafted free agent Larry Taylor from their own practice squad.

The Jets had picked up the 6-foot-5 Turner, a third-round pick of the Dolphins last year, because, in the words of coach Rex Ryan on Monday, "he’s a guy that is, in our opinion, a big talented guy. ... We’re going to take a shot with him. ... Sometimes it takes guys a little longer to develop."

Ryan was not available for comment after Turner was let go.

Briefs

Safety Brodney Pool (sprained ankle) didn’t practice and Ryan is "not sure" if he will be able to practice Thursday. The Jets are off today. ... Ryan said linebacker Calvin Pace (foot) is ahead of schedule in his rehab, but didn’t project a timetable for his potential return.

— J.P. Pelzman

Homecoming Day

Not only did Darrelle Revis return to practice Tuesday for the Jets, but so did fullback Tony Richardson, released Sunday in a curious move.

Richardson, entering his 17th season in the NFL, was philosophical about what happened, and even was able to joke about it after practice.

Richardson, who will play against Baltimore on Monday, declined to reveal any details about his conversations Sunday with coach Rex Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum after he had been informed that he was being released. He was happy to be back after an unplanned day off from practice, although he indicated it wasn’t a sure thing that the Jets would bring him back.

Help wanted at WR?

The Jets waived wide receiver Patrick Turner, who had practiced with the team for only two days after being claimed off waivers from Miami on Sunday. The Jets have only three wideouts on their 53-man roster, Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith. They could sign undrafted free agent Larry Taylor from their own practice squad.

The Jets had picked up the 6-foot-5 Turner, a third-round pick of the Dolphins last year, because, in the words of coach Rex Ryan on Monday, "he’s a guy that is, in our opinion, a big talented guy. ... We’re going to take a shot with him. ... Sometimes it takes guys a little longer to develop."

Ryan was not available for comment after Turner was let go.

Briefs

Safety Brodney Pool (sprained ankle) didn’t practice and Ryan is "not sure" if he will be able to practice Thursday. The Jets are off today. ... Ryan said linebacker Calvin Pace (foot) is ahead of schedule in his rehab, but didn’t project a timetable for his potential return.

— J.P. Pelzman

Pelzman: Ryan-Revis bond helped break impasse

The Record

For Darrelle Revis, one of the positive byproducts of his holdout was that he really got to know owner Woody Johnson for the first time.

But he needed no such re-introduction when it came to Rex Ryan.

"I got to know Woody a little more," Revis said of the Saturday meeting in Florida with the owner and head coach. "That was really the first time I sat in a conference room with him and really got to know him.

"Me and Rex, we go way back," Revis said. "There's the love there with me and Rex. I was happy to see him."

The feeling, of course, was mutual, and even more so Tuesday when Revis finally returned to the practice field. But if anything, the long drama of Revis' contract impasse with the Jets showed how Ryan is a lot different from most NFL head coaches.

Consider first that, in the opinion of some people, it was Ryan's rather large mouth that helped fan the flames in the first place, albeit inadvertently. When Revis first made public during the spring his intention to get a new contract, he spoke many times about how he deserved to be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL because Ryan had repeatedly said he was not only the best corner in the league, but the best defensive player.

So maybe it was only fitting that Ryan's unusual move of negotiating in person with his star player finally helped facilitate a deal.

"He was smiling like he took a trip to Disney World," Revis recalled about the meeting. "I was smiling back because this is like a home to me, here with the New York Jets."

He said Ryan told him, "We need to get you up here. We need you to play. We need you to win a Super Bowl."

Revis added, "I mean, it was just simple talk, and it's the same things we've been talking about since the season was over, even while we were in season last year."

True, the monetary implications still had to be worked out to get Revis back into the fold, but Ryan's road trip may prove to be the most important one of the Jets' season. Yet, it might not have worked if not for the special relationship between these two.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

For Darrelle Revis, one of the positive byproducts of his holdout was that he really got to know owner Woody Johnson for the first time.

But he needed no such re-introduction when it came to Rex Ryan.

"I got to know Woody a little more," Revis said of the Saturday meeting in Florida with the owner and head coach. "That was really the first time I sat in a conference room with him and really got to know him.

"Me and Rex, we go way back," Revis said. "There's the love there with me and Rex. I was happy to see him."

The feeling, of course, was mutual, and even more so Tuesday when Revis finally returned to the practice field. But if anything, the long drama of Revis' contract impasse with the Jets showed how Ryan is a lot different from most NFL head coaches.

Consider first that, in the opinion of some people, it was Ryan's rather large mouth that helped fan the flames in the first place, albeit inadvertently. When Revis first made public during the spring his intention to get a new contract, he spoke many times about how he deserved to be the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL because Ryan had repeatedly said he was not only the best corner in the league, but the best defensive player.

So maybe it was only fitting that Ryan's unusual move of negotiating in person with his star player finally helped facilitate a deal.

"He was smiling like he took a trip to Disney World," Revis recalled about the meeting. "I was smiling back because this is like a home to me, here with the New York Jets."

He said Ryan told him, "We need to get you up here. We need you to play. We need you to win a Super Bowl."

Revis added, "I mean, it was just simple talk, and it's the same things we've been talking about since the season was over, even while we were in season last year."

True, the monetary implications still had to be worked out to get Revis back into the fold, but Ryan's road trip may prove to be the most important one of the Jets' season. Yet, it might not have worked if not for the special relationship between these two.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Pick on Darrelle Revis and you'll pay, Jets coach says

BY J.P. PELZMAN

The Record

STAFF WRITER

FLORHAM PARK — Go ahead, Joe Flacco. When you go to the air Monday against the Jets, pick on Darrelle Revis. Sure, he’s a two-time Pro Bowl cornerback, but he’ll be very rusty after a 36-day holdout, right?

At least that was the tongue-in-cheek advice Jets coach Rex Ryan was doling out Tuesday to his former Ravens brethren as the Jets continued preparing for the season opener. Revis, who returned to practice Tuesday after missing all of the preseason because of his contract impasse, signed a four-year deal Monday.

“I can certainly see them doing that,” Ryan said of the Ravens potentially targeting Revis. “Guy missed all of training camp, so they should do that. Find him and go [toward] him, and go [toward] him often.”

But actually, the former Ravens’ defensive coordinator doesn’t think his old team will do that.

“They’re smarter than that,” Ryan said. “They’re not coming after him. No way. No chance.”

Baltimore quarterback Flacco certainly has some weapons, such as wide receivers Derrick Mason and former Arizona Cardinal Anquan Boldin, obtained in a trade during the off-season. And the Ravens this week signed T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who was released by Seattle on Saturday but had 79 receptions last season.

Revis disagrees with his coach about Baltimore’s potential tactics.

“I think they’re still going to come at me,” he said. “I think Monday night, the Ravens will, because I haven’t been in camp, I haven’t been playing football for a while. I’m sure that’s in their game plan.

“They might mix in a couple of receivers in there,” he added. “[On] first down, they may have Anquan or somebody else in to run a [go] route on my side [to] get me a little bit tired.”

Because Revis missed so much time, the Jets are trying to work him in slowly. Ryan said Revis played about half the snaps, 15 to 20, during the team’s 11-on-11 drills Tuesday. Revis began the practice by working off to the side while the other defensive backs went through their usual position drills.

“I think that was one of the most impressive stretching programs I’ve ever seen,” linebacker Bart Scott wisecracked. “I was duly impressed.”

“He looked good,” Ryan said before removing a piece of paper from his pocket and adding with a smile, “Actually, I was supposed to say, from the defensive staff: ‘He looked slow; we’ll maybe rotate him in [the game].’

“We may just spell him a little a bit, give Baltimore hope that he’s not out there. No, everybody knows me, that he’s going to play.”

Joking aside, Ryan said Revis will work in the weight room today, a day off from practice. After that, “We’ll probably increase [Revis’ practice reps] as we see fit,” Ryan said. “You don’t want to have any small-tissue-type injury pop up where it would limit him on Monday night.”

“Right now, I feel good,” Revis said. “There’s no problems with me. I don’t feel any aching, I don’t feel any pains. My hamstrings don’t hurt.

“I think I’m fine right now,” Revis said. “Nobody beat me deep.”

Revis was happy to be back at work after the impasse, during which he sometimes wore a wig as a disguise.

“That was a little joke I did,” he said with a laugh. “I actually was looking for some dreads [dreadlocks], but I couldn’t find those, but I got a curly Afro to wear around town.”

The Jets are counting on him to look like himself in uniform and pads Monday night.

FLORHAM PARK — Go ahead, Joe Flacco. When you go to the air Monday against the Jets, pick on Darrelle Revis. Sure, he’s a two-time Pro Bowl cornerback, but he’ll be very rusty after a 36-day holdout, right?

AP

New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis walks into the locker room after his first football practice since signing his new contract. Because Revis missed so much time, the Jets are trying to work him in slowly. Ryan said Revis played about half the snaps, 15 to 20, during the team’s 11-on-11 drills Tuesday. At least that was the tongue-in-cheek advice Jets coach Rex Ryan was doling out Tuesday to his former Ravens brethren as the Jets continued preparing for the season opener. Revis, who returned to practice Tuesday after missing all of the preseason because of his contract impasse, signed a four-year deal Monday.

“I can certainly see them doing that,” Ryan said of the Ravens potentially targeting Revis. “Guy missed all of training camp, so they should do that. Find him and go [toward] him, and go [toward] him often.”

But actually, the former Ravens’ defensive coordinator doesn’t think his old team will do that.

“They’re smarter than that,” Ryan said. “They’re not coming after him. No way. No chance.”

Baltimore quarterback Flacco certainly has some weapons, such as wide receivers Derrick Mason and former Arizona Cardinal Anquan Boldin, obtained in a trade during the off-season. And the Ravens this week signed T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who was released by Seattle on Saturday but had 79 receptions last season.

Revis disagrees with his coach about Baltimore’s potential tactics.

“I think they’re still going to come at me,” he said. “I think Monday night, the Ravens will, because I haven’t been in camp, I haven’t been playing football for a while. I’m sure that’s in their game plan.

“They might mix in a couple of receivers in there,” he added. “[On] first down, they may have Anquan or somebody else in to run a [go] route on my side [to] get me a little bit tired.”

Because Revis missed so much time, the Jets are trying to work him in slowly. Ryan said Revis played about half the snaps, 15 to 20, during the team’s 11-on-11 drills Tuesday. Revis began the practice by working off to the side while the other defensive backs went through their usual position drills.

“I think that was one of the most impressive stretching programs I’ve ever seen,” linebacker Bart Scott wisecracked. “I was duly impressed.”

“He looked good,” Ryan said before removing a piece of paper from his pocket and adding with a smile, “Actually, I was supposed to say, from the defensive staff: ‘He looked slow; we’ll maybe rotate him in [the game].’

“We may just spell him a little a bit, give Baltimore hope that he’s not out there. No, everybody knows me, that he’s going to play.”

Joking aside, Ryan said Revis will work in the weight room today, a day off from practice. After that, “We’ll probably increase [Revis’ practice reps] as we see fit,” Ryan said. “You don’t want to have any small-tissue-type injury pop up where it would limit him on Monday night.”

“Right now, I feel good,” Revis said. “There’s no problems with me. I don’t feel any aching, I don’t feel any pains. My hamstrings don’t hurt.

“I think I’m fine right now,” Revis said. “Nobody beat me deep.”

Revis was happy to be back at work after the impasse, during which he sometimes wore a wig as a disguise.

“That was a little joke I did,” he said with a laugh. “I actually was looking for some dreads [dreadlocks], but I couldn’t find those, but I got a curly Afro to wear around town.”

The Jets are counting on him to look like himself in uniform and pads Monday night.

Can you be the leader this offense needs?

“Absolutely . . . I know for a fact I can,” he said. “I’m learning every day from a guy like [backup QB Mark] Brunell . . . becoming more assertive as a leader each day. . . . When I see a lull in practice, being able to talk to a guy, ‘Hey man, I need ya now.’ Going up to guys individually, making sure when we start our third-down period that I go tell the guys, just to remind them, ‘Hey, we’re going to third down, we gotta hustle up, get to the line, see what’s goin’ on, so we can go through our checks and really go, I need your tempo now, I’m callin’ on ya.’ And that takes you knowing what’s goin’ on, you being accountable with your responsibilities, reads and everything in order to call on other guys. So I think my growth has helped me assert myself as a leader.”

If this year is day, last year was night.

“You can’t call on other guys and expect them to be accountable when you don’t know the reads . . . when you’re messin’ with the snap count and not understanding why the play’s being run at a certain time. . . . You’re throwing interceptions, it’s hard to tell guys, ‘Hey I need ya to hurry up now, I need you to do this,’ ” Sanchez said. “It’s like, ‘Man, you do your job.’ ”

If you're learning to be a leader, you're still not a leader. He can't worry about anyone else's perception of him, he just needs to grab the reins and lead. That's his job. He seems like one of the nicest guys in the world, but that's not going to cut it out there.

“They know that he’s put in more time than anybody else,” Ryan said, “so it’s hard not to respect that. They respect his work ethic and they respect the kind of competitor he is, I can tell you that, every person in this organization respects that.”

Does this sound like a backhanded compliment to anyone else? Does anyone respect his ability to play QB, Rex?

Man, this season is resting on this kid's shoulders. No matter how good your defense, how good your running game, or how good your special teams are - you need solid QB play at a minimum to compete for a championship. I want to believe, but I can't help but notice the red flags with this kid. I know he's young and inexperienced, but he needs to play this game like he knows what the f^ck he's doing, and get the rest of his team to follow him.

http://www.jetnation.com/2010/09/08/new-york-jets-news-and-notes-2/

by Tyson Rauch on September 8, 2010[edit]

in Jet News,Tyson Rauch,Writers

1) Jets make roster moves- On Tuesday the New York Jets announced the following moves:

Waived- WR Patrick Turner (does this signal the return of Coles or Clowney as the WR depth is a little light)

Released- LB Ricky Foley and S Donovan Warren from the practice squad

Signed- RB Chauncey Washington, LB Cody Brown, and DT Jarron Gilbert to the practice squad

2) Brodney Pool still out of practice- Safety Brodney Pool continues to miss practice which is starting to become a concern with the first game on Monday. Definitely an injury to keep an eye on.

3) Revis speaks after first practice- Here are some quotes from Darrelle Revis after his first practice, courtesy of the New York Jets.

On returning to practice…

“It felt great. I was able to get out there today and just work.”

On how he felt after practice with his conditioning…

“I actually felt good today. Its just the speed of the game and some other adjustments and the playbook. (I’m) just trying to do my job. I think that’s the best thing, not force things out there and take things slow.”

On his performance in practice today…

“I had a couple of (pass breakups) today and then I dropped a pick. I bobbled it, it hit me in my helmet and I was looking for it and couldn’t find it, but I got a couple of (pass breakups) today and it felt good to get my hands on the ball.”

On his reaction to how his teammates received him…

“It was great. This is a close locker room. We always joke around and have fun with each other. I just appreciate them so much, for just accepting me and waiting for me when I came back to the team.”

On expecting the Ravens to target him Monday night…

“I think Monday night the Ravens will (come after me), because I haven’t been in camp, I haven’t been playing football for a while. I’m sure that’s in their game plan. They might mix a couple of receivers in there. First down, they may have Anquan (Boldin) or somebody else in to run a go on my side if they get me a little bit tired.”

4) Sanchez excited to get the season started- Quarterback Mark Sanchez addressed the media today and here are some quotes courtesy of the New York Jets.

On how hungry the team is…

“We’re just excited to get on the field, Monday night (at) the new stadium. It’s everything you could ask for. We have a strong squad and we’re playing against another great team, so we’re going to have our work cut out for us. I think we’ve prepared well, but this team is very excited. We’re ready to play.”

On Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis…

“He’s done so well in the run game, being able to come down hill and being able to cover as well as he does, too. He’s been in the league for so long, many people would see him as a weak spot in coverage, but he’s not. He does a good job of getting up underneath routes (and) being in the right spot when he drops. I think he’s one of the best at stopping the run, so we’re going to have our work cut out for us at fullbacks, running backs, offensive line and protection. He’s one of those guys who can change the course of a game, so we respect him quite a bit and we’re excited to play against him and compete with him.”

On how similar the Ravens defense is to the Jets defense…

“There’s similarities, but they’re not as much mirror-images as people might think. There’s a lot of other influences there (in Baltimore) with Coach Harbaugh coming from Philadelphia (and) with (linebackers coach) Coach (Dean) Pees. They have their own wrinkles, and I’m sure there’s things they haven’t done in the preseason that they’re saving for the regular season, not specifically us, but in general. We’ll see quite a few looks, and they have the athletes to play those different schemes, so we’ll have our work cut out for us.”

On the pressure on him to help this team be successful…

“I think, most important, it’s about reminding yourself that you have guys like Braylon (Edwards) and Jerricho (Cotchery). Braylon’s worked so hard this offseason to be a dependable guy and a guy that knows the system. He’s always in the right spot. J-Co (Cotchery), I can lean on him all the time. Dustin (Keller) has had a great camp (and) he’s ready for the season. The offensive line will keep your jersey clean. They really take the pressure off of you. So when you think about that way, don’t put too much pressure on yourself, don’t try to do too much, and be ready to be the point guard. Get the ball out of your hands and take care of it.”

On being more familiar with the offense…

“It’s so much better because even early in the week now, we run through a few of these plays so many times so Schotty (Brian Schottenheimer) is not even saying the initial shift, motion and formation. I got it. I know the protection. I know what matches with what certain plays, knowing certain protections. It’s so nice to have that memorized, instead of just fumbling through plays trying to think about any possibilities. We run certain combinations (that) could be any protection, depending on the formation (and) the shift. Now, we have it down to what we want on third-and-short, third-and-long, red zone and goal line. It’s just very familiar.”

On if he’s going to talk to Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard or Coach Ryan about facing the Baltimore defense…

“Absolutely. (I) already (have). We’ve talked to all the coaches that have been on the Ravens staff. Anything they can tell us personnel wise and scheme wise (helps). At the same time, they’re not going to do the exact same thing they’ve always done, so we’ll take what they say with a grain of salt and understand that they can change too. It’s good information.”

2) Brodney Pool still out of practice- Safety Brodney Pool continues to miss practice which is starting to become a concern with the first game on Monday. Definitely an injury to keep an eye on.

a wide spread belief among Jets fans that irks me: that pool is an instant upgrade over rhodes

not from the training room he isn't.

If you're learning to be a leader, you're still not a leader. He can't worry about anyone else's perception of him, he just needs to grab the reins and lead. That's his job. He seems like one of the nicest guys in the world, but that's not going to cut it out there.

Does this sound like a backhanded compliment to anyone else? Does anyone respect his ability to play QB, Rex?

Man, this season is resting on this kid's shoulders. No matter how good your defense, how good your running game, or how good your special teams are - you need solid QB play at a minimum to compete for a championship. I want to believe, but I can't help but notice the red flags with this kid. I know he's young and inexperienced, but he needs to play this game like he knows what the f^ck he's doing, and get the rest of his team to follow him.

I agree with you. The coaches fell in love with him before the draft and I always thought it was because of his leadership. Then I read sh*t like this and think.... WTF?

OTOH, if that doofus Eli can do it, anyone can. That guy is not exactly Mr. Personality.

Yes it does. I feel like every time they talk about him they give him back handed compliments. You never really hear them talk about how he is picking up the game, just how he is developing into a leader.

Honestly, I dont care about his leadership. Just play ball, you will get respect from performance, with respect being a leader come a bit more naturally.

I think the CS is realistic. The model was very inexperienced coming in here and to expect probowl type performances out of the kid is unrealistic at this point. Hopefully that will change, but for now, they are focused on him being a leader and taking ownership in his mistakes/success.

Rex said it perfectly the other day, if we can flip his TD/INT of last seasons to 20 TD's and 12 INT's...the Jets are in great shape. He said he doesnt need him to worry about stats, just win games. With this team, if he flips last years stats, this team will win games.

Eric Smith is not an upgrade from rhodes lets be real here.. This is FS we are talking about here and Smiths cover skills are terrible.

With Revis back, the secondary isn't a huge concern. I'll be very happy to have Smith back there against the Ravens - who probably plan to run almost as often as the Jets, anyway. We're three CB's deep now, and Lowery is plenty good enough to be the dime back.

Eric Smith is not an upgrade from rhodes lets be real here.. This is FS we are talking about here and Smiths cover skills are terrible.

Really I guess Rex was wrong then too when he decided to start him last year over Rhodes. I think were pretty well covered with cover skill guys. Eric Smith will do just fine.

Yes it does. I feel like every time they talk about him they give him back handed compliments. You never really hear them talk about how he is picking up the game, just how he is developing into a leader.

Honestly, I dont care about his leadership. Just play ball, you will get respect from performance, with respect being a leader come a bit more naturally.

I think the CS is realistic. The model was very inexperienced coming in here and to expect probowl type performances out of the kid is unrealistic at this point. Hopefully that will change, but for now, they are focused on him being a leader and taking ownership in his mistakes/success.

Rex said it perfectly the other day, if we can flip his TD/INT of last seasons to 20 TD's and 12 INT's...the Jets are in great shape. He said he doesnt need him to worry about stats, just win games. With this team, if he flips last years stats, this team will win games.

Flip last year's stats? That's a pretty tall order. Even on TD to INT ratio would be a huge step, flipping it would be monumental. IF he throws 20 TDs with 12 INTs I think we are a 1 seed and super bowl favorite.

Yet sadly, his cover skills are better than Ihedigbo's. I pray Lowery is ready for some situational safety action.

Help wanted at WR?

I think as Rex hinted on Hard Knocks, Coles will be brought back for games 1 thru 4.

Community Events with Moore, Keller, Cotchery

By Jets Staff

Posted 1 hour ago

aaBrandon Moore went back to school. Way back. To McKinley Elementary in Newark, N.J., last week. It's part of the work that he and his wife, Regina, are doing through the Moore Family Foundation.

"It was something I was excited to do," Brandon said this week. "I've been doing some mentoring there and I'm trying to do something for that city. It's a great joy to give some of the kids who might not be fortunate enough some school supplies, backpacks and things like that to begin the school year."

The foundation, which teamed up with Thompson Hine LLP and the N.J. Corporate Counsel Association, is sponsoring McKinley's entire fourth-grade class. And Moore threw out a challenge to Grades 4-8 during his visit for students to read as many books as they can from now through December.

"It's good to provide a challenge and reward students when it comes to their education," the veteran guard said. "Sometimes it's the extra motivation they need to perform well." The prize: The winning student will get a certificate, a trip to the Jets practice facility and tickets to the regular-season finale vs. the Bills. And the winning class will get a pizza party attended by Brandon and a few of his Jets classmates— make that teammates.

Club 'Em with Keller

Dustin Keller has a community event coming up next week at Chelsea Piers. He's calling it Dustin Keller's Believe & Achieve Charity Golf Gala. The third-year tight end is inviting folks to join him and some of his Jets teammates to "golf with the pros" and help raise money to provide athletic opportunities to deserving children. The evening is sponsored by the Dustin Keller Foundation and the Chelsea Piers Scholarship Fund.

The event is Tuesday, Sept. 14, at The Golf Club at Chelsea Piers, Pier 59, located at 18th Street and the West Side Highway in lower Manhattan. It begins at 5 p.m. with a VIP reception, with silent auctions, open hitting, golf clinics and an awards ceremony following from 6-9 p.m.

To purchase tickets or for more information, call 212-336-6500, ext. 6566, or go to www.chelseapiers.com/charitygolfgala.

Big Night for J-Co

A week later, Jerricho Cotchery and his wife, Mercedes, will host The Cotchery Foundation's third annual charity and fundraising event, called "Monday Night in Manhattan." The event will be held Monday, Sept. 20, at Hudson Terrace, an exclusive rooftop venue in midtown and will feature J-Co, teammates and celebrity guests helping to give back to a great cause.

"This is our primary fundraiser and helps us provide the monetary support for all Cotchery Foundation programs and initiatives," Cotchery said. "We hope our guests will enjoy a fun-filled evening while realizing the greater impact their support will have on the lives of these youth."

The Cotchery Foundation was established in 2007 with its core mission of inspiring children to conceive and achieve goals through programs and services designed to enhance their futures.

The night will run from 6:30 through 9:30 p.m. For more information on the foundation or on Monday Night in Manhattan, visit www.cotcheryfoundation.com.

With contract holdout over, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis settles into normal routine

Published: Wednesday, September 08, 2010, 12:15 PM Updated: Wednesday, September 08, 2010, 12:31 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow Share this story

Story tools

Matt Rainey/The Star-LedgerDarrelle Revis is back at the Jets facility, ready to begin his fourth season with the team.

Share In the hours after Darrelle Revis officially signed his four-year, $46 million contract Monday evening, there was a bit of calm at his New Jersey home.

After a blurring 24 hours that took him from Florida to Florham Park and reunited with his football team, he worked on some music in the home studio he's building, and he wound down with his mom, Diana Gilbert, and best friend and manager, John Geiger.

"Are you excited for Monday night?" Geiger finally asked him.

"Excited for Monday?" Revis replied. "I'm excited to go practice tomorrow."

After a 36-day contract holdout, Revis is free to resume his regular fall routine and focus on the one thing -- football -- that was a question mark since Aug. 1. Tuesday was his first practice with the Jets since mini-camp in June, and even though the players have off today, he's spending his day at the team facility with his coaches.

The work now is centered around getting into football shape and smoothing communication in a secondary that has several new additions since last season. But filmwork was never a problem, as he spent his absence watching cut-ups of Joe Flacco, Anquan Boldin and crew at a frequency rivaling that at which MTV re-runs "Jersey Shore" episodes.

And while Revis tried to keep a low profile during the holdout, the other side of his notoriety on the field -- endorsement pitches and attention from fans -- has also resumed.

Geiger said he received 925 emails, and counting, in the past two days about booking opportunities and possible endorsement deals for Revis. The friends went food shopping in Livingston yesterday, which Geiger said "might have been the worst idea ever." As soon as Revis was recognized, they were surrounded by a crowd seeking pictures and autographs. They left without making a purchase.

Fans have also stopped by outside Revis' home in New Jersey, hoping to snag an autograph. Since Monday, they've brought by pictures and cards. One family brought by a "Welcome Home, Darrelle" poster, with a picture of him on a visit to a local elementary school last December, plus a plate of linguini. They ate it.

The attention -- and colloquial use of "Revis Island" -- picked up steam over the past year, as Revis' premier cover skills garnered him attention as arguably the league's top defensive player. With the protracted and often messy negotiations now behind him, Revis is settling in for another season, one he hopes will only be more elite than the last.

By the time HBO's "Hard Knocks" crew met him at his gate at the Newark Airport, his life in New Jersey had resumed.

"He's doing his normal routine," Geiger said. "Next Tuesday morning after the game, he'll be watching Patriots film."

Goodell "not proud of" Jets' profanity

September, 8, 2010 Sep 811:14AM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiIt seems like the NFL commissioner is on Tony Dungy's side.

Appearing Wednesday on ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" radio show, Roger Goodell gave his take on the New York Jets' constant use of foul language in the "Hard Knocks" series, most of it coming from Rex Ryan and his coaches.

"Hard Knocks is designed to give our fans an inside view of what it's like to be in a training camp," Goodell said. "Obviously, at times you're going to get language that's not appropriate for all ages, and it's something that I guess we're not proud of, but it is a reality of what's happening in those camps."

If Woody Johnson had 10 bucks for every F-bomb dropped in the first four episodes, he'd have enough money to pay Darrelle Revis. Oh, wait, he just did.

Sep 08, 2010

Mark Sanchez on the Jets: 'We're building a dream team'

11:09 AMYahoo! BuzzShare

DiggNewsvineRedditE-mailSavePrintShare0 5

Comments

Recommend Rex Ryan has set a confident tone for the New York Jets with his fearless predictions that the Jets will appear in the Super Bowl this season.

The coach signed "soon-to-be-champs" next to his name on an ESPN bus that was headed to Patriots camp last month. So from a coach who sets such an example, similar comments from his players shouldn't be surprising.

But these comments the New York Daily News collected from Jets players' assessment of their team will likely raise some eyebrows -- and hit some bulletin boards -- around the AFC.

•Antonio Cromartie: "We're the Miami Heat of football."

•Mark Sanchez, on learning of big-name offseason acquisitions from GM Mike Tannenbaum: "He's like, 'We're picking up another one.' I was like, 'Geez! What's going on here? We're building a dream team.'"

•Bart Scott: "It doesn't matter to me. It's much more fun to be the villain than the hero."

-- Sean Leahy

Jets crank up trash talking for start of season

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 8, 2010 10:43 AM ET

The Jets were only getting warm with all the bluster and boasting they did in the offseason. Comments made to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News shows they are rounding in to regular season form.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie: "We're the Miami Heat of football."

Tight end Dustin Keller: "This team is basically Super Bowl or bust."

Every time the Jets picked up another big name, quarterback Mark Sanchez got a call about it from G.M. Mike Tannenbaum.

"He's like, 'We're picking up another one,'" Sanchez remembered. "I was like, 'Geez! What's going on here? We're building a dream team.'"

Mehta suggests that Tannenbaum appeared to have pulled off a series of "smart, calculated moves that appeared too good to be true."

We'll see. Tannenbaum may have made too many moves. As Nick Saban used to say, this isn't fantasy football. The Jets are more exciting than the Patriots and Dolphins, but there's no huge reason to think they are much better in a competitive division.

"If you doubt me," coach Rex Ryan said, "I'm going to show you and prove you wrong."

We don't think all the bluster really makes a big difference positively or negatively. The team's season will depend more on how fast Mark Sanchez can make decisions than what the team says to the media. Still, we enjoy Ryan making football more fun for his players and those covering him. It's a game.

"It doesn't matter to me," linebacker Bart Scott said. "It's much more fun to be the villain than the hero."

Ravens-Jets: Surprise! War of words heats up!

Great headline in the New York Daily News Wednesday: "Darrelle Revis expects Ravens to invade Revis Island."

The gist of the blog post by News sportswriter Manish Mehta was that Revis, the Jets' All-Pro cornerback who's just back from a 36-day training camp holdout, expects the Ravens to try to pick on him Monday night when the two teams open their season at the New Meadowlands Stadium.

"I think they're going to come after me," the Daily News quotes him as saying. "Just because I haven't been in camp. I haven't been playing football for a while. I'm sure that's in their game plan.

"They shied away last year from me. I don't know what's in their game plan. I don't know if they're going to attack me or not. In my mind, I think they are going to attack me just because I haven't played football . . . They know the player I am and they know I can cover. I'm sure they're going to come at me anyway they can."

The article, which you can read here, indicated that Revis has looked sharp in his first drills with the Jets.

It also features an obligatory quote from Rex Ryan, the ever-shy Jets coach, who said he didn't think the Ravens would target Revis.

Ryan also felt compelled to address Ravens running back Le'Ron McClain's comment that he was "glad they got (Revis) back, so there won't be no excuses now."

"I don't know what's wrong with 'Ron," the Daily News quotes Ryan as saying. "He said something about, well, there's no excuses . . . He must have us confused with somebody else . . . We don't make excuses. All we do is produce. That's what we plan on doing Monday night."

It's only Wednesday and the trash-talking is getting hot and heavy. Another reason why you gotta love the NFL

From yesterday's PC:

He’s there. Nobody has put in more work than Mark has and I think his teammates appreciate that type of work ethic. They know he’s put in more time than anybody else. It’s hard not to respect that. You do respect that. The thing is he just needs to go out and play the position and have fun, lean on the guys around him and build each other up. That’s what we expect from our entire team. He’s no different. Just because he plays the position of quarterback, a lot more is expected from him from leadership. He’s the guy whose hands are on the football all the time. He’s important. There’s no question about it. The guys respect him. They respect his work ethic and they respect the competitor he is. I can tell you that. Every person in this organization respects that.

Where's the backhanded compliment?

Really I guess Rex was wrong then too when he decided to start him last year over Rhodes. I think were pretty well covered with cover skill guys. Eric Smith will do just fine.

We all know thats because Rhodes turned into a pussy not because he couldnt cover.

:face:

Has he played a meaningful down of football in his second season yet?

Then how the **** can you tell?

Dont face in hand me Poopie head.

We are discussing how the coaching staff compliments the model. You never hear any of them talk about how's he's improved on the field...you can tell these things when you are at practice with him everyday. But they dont comment on that, its all about his approach to becoming a leader and his work ethic. Which are fine and dandy, but I'd like to hear about his improvement on the field. Which might not be happening hence them never speaking about it and the model looking piss poor in the preseason.

Dont face in hand me Poopie head.

We are discussing how the coaching staff compliments the model. You never hear any of them talk about how's he's improved on the field...you can tell these things when you are at practice with him everyday. But they dont comment on that, its all about his approach to becoming a leader and his work ethic. Which are fine and dandy, but I'd like to hear about his improvement on the field. Which might not be happening hence them never speaking about it and the model looking piss poor in the preseason.

Yeah you do. You heard it in the first five minutes of the first episode of Hard Knocks when Ryan and Tanny are creaming themselves over some of the throws Nacho's been making.

Jets living up to mantra that talk is golden Posted: September 8th, 2010 | Frank Tadych | Tags: Antonio Cromartie, Calvin Pace, Dustin Keller, Frank Tadych, Mark Sanchez, New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Santonio Holmes

Perhaps what we saw of the Jets on HBOs Hard Knocks was simply a prelude to what we’ll be hearing during the season. The Jets have taken on an all-or-nothing mantra this season, and aren’t afraid to talk about it. Ever. All you have to do is listen.

Check out some of the comments Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News included in his 2010 season preview of the Jets:

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai Calvin Pace: “We know what we got to do. We talk about it every day. It’s ingrained in us. It’s win or else.”

Antonio Cromartie: “We’re the Miami Heat of football.”

Dustin Keller: “Some people may think if we took a step closer and just got there, that’d be enough. But it’s not at all. This team is basically Super Bowl or bust.”

More Keller: “I’m surprised that we got guys for as cheap as we did. We went out and got the best guys out in the market. We have all the right tools now. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t win this thing. We got to win now.”

Mark Sanchez: “We have one goal. If we don’t accomplish it, we fail.”

Santonio Holmes: “When you walk around with a target on your back, you’re asking for it. Well, we’re not asking for it. We’re going to take it.”

Rex Ryan: “Is it going to be easy? Hell no. There’s no guarantee that this is going to happen. But I sense it’s going to happen. I really believe that we’re going to do this thing. In my heart, I think this is the time.”

You get the idea.

Ryan did take the time to utter that it won’t be easy, but the Jets have put a bullseye on their backs, and we’ve discussed in this space not everyone around the NFL is going to like the woofing. High internal expectations — especially ones made public — are one thing, but now the Jets have to deliver. This can really only go one of two ways for the Jets.

OK, so let’s hear it from you, NFL Nation: Does all the talk help or hurt the Jets?

Archived