Fallout From Holdout--Revis Hamstring

flgreen

Revis' hamstring pain more holdout fallout for Jets

Jets BlogBy MARK HALE

Last Updated: 8:43 AM, September 17, 2010

Posted: 3:41 AM, September 17, 2010

Comments: 21 More Print Three days before being matched up against Patriots receiver Randy Moss, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis admitted yesterday he may have gathered some moss himself during his summer holdout.

Rex Ryan announced that Revis, his shutdown cornerback, had to be limited in practice because of a tight left hamstring.

Revis said he will play against New England on Sunday at New Meadowlands Stadium. And though he said "you can't control injuries in football," the All-Pro added the discomfort in his hamstring likely could be chalked up to his sitting out training camp.

"It could be a training-camp thing. Because I wasn't there," he said. "But like I told you guys before, I was working out. It wasn't like I was just sitting down being a couch potato.

"But yeah. My teammates, they have had a month worth of organized football, two-a-days, one-a-days of hard football. I haven't been doing that.

"I'd probably say yeah that's why that little bit of tightness is because I'm still trying to get my football legs up under me."

That can't be easy for Jets fans to hear -- not with the Patriots' vaunted passing game coming to town.

Although the Jets and their fans were thrilled to get Revis signed and back with the team, his holdout now threatens to cast a shadow on both of Gang Green's first two games.

In the 10-9 loss to the Ravens on Monday, the Jets at times kept Revis on one side of the field so he wouldn't have to run too much in his first game action since last season. Revis didn't blanket Baltimore's star receiver, Anquan Boldin, who put up seven catches and 110 yards, and fellow corners Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson had rough games.

Now Revis could have to cover Moss -- a Pro Bowler and one of his biggest rivals -- while he's not at full strength.

"That's a concern," Ryan said. "And I think that's why I left him on the one side to start with because he didn't get the reps that he would normally take and things. But we'll see. I'm not overly concerned right now. But any time it's a hamstring, you get a little nervous."

Ryan even said if Revis isn't "near 100 percent," the game plan might have to be changed. So what percentage is Revis?

"I think I'm 100 percent. It's just tightness," Revis said. "It's just taking care of it."

Revis said he participated in the first half of yesterday's practice (he plans to take part today too) -- even staying on the field after the hamstring began to tighten up. Eventually, he called it a day.

"I was like, all right," he said, "I think I'm OK for the day."

Revis has never missed a game in the NFL, and he said in college at Pittsburgh he played with hamstring tightness "and it didn't impact [my play] at all."

Nevertheless, the Jets don't have an abundance of elite corners, and against a team that features Tom Brady, Moss, Wes Welker and other dangerous offensive weapons, a limited Revis is a problem.

"I think it's just toughness," Revis said. "You've got to have toughness. You don't want to hurt the team in any way. If the situation is that severe, I will sit out. But it's not. It's not and I'll be out there."

mark.hale@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/revis_puts_jets_in_tight_corner_4Xjq27X7oWSqtwrIgtC7MP#ixzz0zoKSIsfZ

Archived