Stafon Johnson

Falcon63

I wasn't there, but I can tell you exactly what happened.

How could you even knock it out of his hands? Only way I can see is if he walked by and hit the side of the bar, which wouldn't even cause you to drop the bar, just the weights would fall off....

You weren't there and didn't read the allegations, but once again, you know better.

I know it's not instant, but 16 months? Ridiculous....

Right, because you should sue the day after it happens. Not investigate and try to settle first. If you don't sue the next week you lose all credibility.

But the point is, it was an accident. I HIGHLY doubt it was due to a coach's negligence. To go through so much and have so much support from USC, the players, the coaches, the school as a whole, and football fans everywhere, how can he just come back 16 months later and try to ruin this coach? It was an ACCIDENT! I absolutely HATE how sue-happy America has become!

Accidents occur due to negligence all the time. They will settle or have a trial and a judge or jury that have heard all the evidence will determine if there is liability to be assigned. I doubt they will dismiss the case because some kid on the internet HIGHLY doubts that the spotter could be at fault. He's not trying to ruin the coach. He's trying to get some money because he almost died - he can't just name an insurance company in the suit.

The thing is, in a civil case you don't have to prove the spotter was totally at fault for the accident. If you can get a jury to believe that the spotter is a percentage at fault...even if it is 15 or 20%, the plaintiff will get paid. They will just give him 20% of the full judgement. It is going to be tough to get a jury to believe that a person who is spotting has absolutely no control over the safety of the person they are spotting for.

Accidents occur due to negligence all the time. They will settle or have a trial and a judge or jury that have heard all the evidence will determine if there is liability to be assigned. I doubt they will dismiss the case because some kid on the internet HIGHLY doubts that the spotter could be at fault. He's not trying to ruin the coach. He's trying to get some money because he almost died - he can't just name an insurance company in the suit.

I just can't picture it. How would the coach hit the bar out of his hands? If you have the right grip, I can't see how anything would knock the bar out of his hands. Again, I don't know because I wasn't there, but it seems like it was his poor technique that almost cost him his life. If you use proper technique, you should never drop the weight out of your hands, even if it's 1000 lbs. Spotters are there to assist you if you struggle to lift the weight. They aren't holding onto it the whole time.

The thing is, in a civil case you don't have to prove the spotter was totally at fault for the accident. If you can get a jury to believe that the spotter is a percentage at fault...even if it is 15 or 20%, the plaintiff will get paid. They will just give him 20% of the full judgement. It is going to be tough to get a jury to believe that a person who is spotting has absolutely no control over the safety of the person they are spotting for.

The fact that it is a trained, paid coach indicates a little more responsibilty than "hey could you give me a spot at the gym too.

I just can't picture it. How would the coach hit the bar out of his hands? If you have the right grip, I can't see how anything would knock the bar out of his hands. Again, I don't know because I wasn't there, but it seems like it was his poor technique that almost cost him his life. If you use proper technique, you should never drop the weight out of your hands, even if it's 1000 lbs. Spotters are there to assist you if you struggle to lift the weight. They aren't holding onto it the whole time.

Some day you will learn that millions of things you can't picture have happened. If the kid is using the wrong grip and the guy is his coach that indicates a degree of problem right there. Why is the coach helping him use improper technique?

All I'm saying is that the grip he uses when he benches isn't called a suicide grip for no reason. It was MOST LIKELY his own negligence that almost cost him his life. I just can't see in mind how someone would hit the bar out of someone's hands. What, did the coach kick the bar? I don't understand what he means by that....

Some day you will learn that millions of things you can't picture have happened. If the kid is using the wrong grip and the guy is his coach that indicates a degree of problem right there. Why is the coach helping him use improper technique?

That's true. Either way, what movement could you possibly do to knock the bar out of someone's hands? And why wasn't there any report of the coach's so-called "negligence" initially?

Also, jsut pulled up this quote from the original story:

"This was right at the end of his set, and he wasn't putting the bar down on the rack yet."

So from this, I can't see any way how the coach is responsible. If it's at the end of the set, and wasn't putting the bar on the rack yet, then he was either holding it up, or in the middle of doing a repetition. You don't touch the bar in either of those situations.

All I'm saying is that the grip he uses when he benches isn't called a suicide grip for no reason. It was MOST LIKELY his own negligence that almost cost him his life. I just can't see in mind how someone would hit the bar out of someone's hands. What, did the coach kick the bar? I don't understand what he means by that....

That's true. Either way, what movement could you possibly do to knock the bar out of someone's hands? And why wasn't there any report of the coach's so-called "negligence" initially?

Also, jsut pulled up this quote from the original story:

"This was right at the end of his set, and he wasn't putting the bar down on the rack yet."

So from this, I can't see any way how the coach is responsible. If it's at the end of the set, and wasn't putting the bar on the rack yet, then he was either holding it up, or in the middle of doing a repetition. You don't touch the bar in either of those situations.

Why is a coach helping him lift using such a dangerous grip? You say the spotter isn't supposed to touch the bar, then wouldn't the coach touching the bar indicate that he might have done something wrong? I'm not saying anybody is negligent, but it's kind of silly to say I don't have any idea what happened, the coach can't be at fault. You seem to think that a spotter can **** up. but obviously it can happen.

Archived