Wilson heads to Revis (Southwest) Island

F.Chowds

Updated: May 12, 2011 07:30 PM

By Roderick Boone

Multiple Page View

Darrelle Revis was still smoldering from the Jets falling short in the AFC Championship game against the Steelers when he addressed his fellow defensive backs, giving them a heads up that they might want to make some travel plans to head to the desert at some point.

"He was like, 'This ain't gonna happen again,' " Kyle Wilson told me a few minutes ago from Scottsdale, Ariz., where he's spent the better part of the last four days. "He was like, 'Ya’ll are coming out to work with me.' So once this offseason hit, I texted him every couple of weeks, checking on when exactly he was going.

"Once he told me the date, I told him I’d be there. I bought my plane ticket, and I’m here."

Right now, the turnout isn't mirroring that of "Jets West," the week long camp conducted by quarterback Mark Sanchez last week in Mission Viejo, Calif. that featured the likes of LaDainian Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards and Dustin Keller. So far, it's just Wilson and Revis getting their workouts in together in The Grand Canyon State.

Antonio Cromartie tweeted earlier today that he might not head out to Arizona because he feels he has the best trainer at his immediate disposal. But Wilson, looking to bounce back from a roller-coaster rookie campaign, wasn't about to miss out on the opportunity to pair with the NFL's top cornerback and pick his brain as much as possible.

He's been studying the All Pro's technique, trying his best to incorporate some of Revis' fundamental approach into his own style.

"I like it, just working out with him, competing with him and just going over stuff and seeing how he uses things," Wilson said. "Overall, just trying to implement some of the stuff in my game. Working out with the best, I don't think you can't beat that."

And if you ask Wilson, it won't exactly be easy, either, to beat the Jets top cornerbacks should they indeed re-sign Cromartie, whose free-agency status depends on what happens with the next collective bargaining agreement. Wilson thinks the trio could be the fiercest in the league -- hands down.

"Oh yeah, yeah, no question about it," he said. "I know Cromartie is a great player, a great teammate of mine, and anything to help out the Jets, I’m all for it. I know he can definitely help out the team."

This is what should have happened last year instead of Revis holding out and screwing the team.

Yeah his holdout really ****ed us over. I mean if he didn't holdout obviously the team wouldn't have come out flat to start the AFC Championship game. ](*,)

Yeah his holdout really ****ed us over. I mean if he didn't holdout obviously the team wouldn't have come out flat to start the AFC Championship game. ](*,)

I'm talking financially. If we didn't give Revis that absurd contract, we'd have plenty of cap space to sign most of our free agents without having to cut 15 guys.

Archived