The cost of a preseason game

F.Chowds

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 30, 2011, 8:44 AM EDT

Getty Images

Whether NFL owners and players can close a deal in short order is a matter that is currently up for debate.

We do know that one of the primary factors in wanting a deal in the next few weeks would be in order to avoid missing preseason games, which make teams more money than you’d think for teams and the city they play in.

Jerry Roper, head of the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, tells the Chicago Sun-Times that a missed preseason game costs the city $3 million before concessions are taken into account. Add that, and the total is closer to $7-$8 million, which Roper calls conservative.

Another expert the paper spoke with estimates the city would lose $650,000 in lost tax revenue per game.

In a tweet to Cris Collinsworth Wednesday, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello wrote: “Many misunderstand preseason revenue. All goes into cap. Each preseason week worth $200 million in revenue for players/teams.”

While fans don’t care much about the preseason, it’s still huge business. Which is another reason why there is so much pressure on the rest of this and next week’s labor talks.

I don't know what's more depressing: that NFL teams gouge the fans for preseason games and still cry poverty, or that our municipalities gouge both the fans and the teams for millions of dollars in taxes during a preseason game and still cry poverty.

I don't know what's more depressing: that NFL teams gouge the fans for preseason games and still cry poverty, or that our municipalities gouge both the fans and the teams for millions of dollars in taxes during a preseason game and still cry poverty.

...or the high-end players who also really make out on the pre-season games while barely participating in them. The players' take is pure net profit. The owners' take, while I'm sure is still very lucrative or they wouldn't be doing it, is a gross number before expenses.

I haven't seen one proposal - or even a single complaint - from the players' side fighting to up the minimum player salaries. The elite players will make a lifetime's worth of coin whether shared revenue is 50% or 60%, and with $0 or $2B being taken off the top. Nor are they interested in forking over any of their proposed share towards the retired players.

So much for the notion of the NFLPA fighting the just fight. Both sides are creeps.

...or the high-end players who also really make out on the pre-season games while barely participating in them. The players' take is pure net profit. The owners' take, while I'm sure is still very lucrative or they wouldn't be doing it, is a gross number before expenses.

I haven't seen one proposal - or even a single complaint - from the players' side fighting to up the minimum player salaries. The elite players will make a lifetime's worth of coin whether shared revenue is 50% or 60%, and with $0 or $2B being taken off the top. Nor are they interested in forking over any of their proposed share towards the retired players.

So much for the notion of the NFLPA fighting the just fight. Both sides are creeps.

Though I dread the Sperm reprisal on this, I was of the understanding that players didn't (explicitly) get paid for pre-season games.

There was a thread in here detailing the alleged deal that was likely to be signed--the cap floor was raised, and retired players were getting some sort of NFL funded take, I believe. Who knows if any of that's in the final CBA, but it was supposedly tucked into the working model.

There was a thread in here detailing the alleged deal that was likely to be signed--the cap floor was raised, and retired players were getting some sort of NFL funded take, I believe. Who knows if any of that's in the final CBA, but it was supposedly tucked into the working model.

I'm sure it was one of those phony demands that the proposing party ultimately throws away as a concession.

Archived