Ahman Green retiring

Jetsfan80

I thought he already WAS retired. Then again, Tiki Barber is still trying to play, so you never know.

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/22571000/ngbbs4d7fd36ea083f.jpg

Goodbye, Green: Packers' all-time leading rusher hangs it up

* NFL.com

* Published: Aug. 6, 2011 at 04:32 a.m.

Ahman Green, the Green Bay Packers' all-time rushing leader, announced his retirement Friday after 12 seasons in the league.

Green, who had 8,322 yards as a Packer, said he hopes to sign a ceremonial one-day contract with the team, ESPN 540 reported.

Green, 34, left the Packers as a free agent for the Houston Texans following the 2006 season only 47 yards shy of the franchise rushing record but returned in 2009 as a backup, carrying the ball 41 times for 160 yards -- good enough to break Hall of Famer Jim Taylor's team mark. Green then spent time with the UFL's Omaha NightHawks and the CFL's Montreal Alouettes.

"I knew it was going to be a limited role," Green said about his return to Green Bay. "To break Jim Taylor’s record, that did a lot for me. It took a monkey off my back. That was on my mind when I went down to Houston. I never knew how close I was to breaking certain records. But when I was told how many yards I had left, I slapped myself, because I knew that could’ve been in one carry."

Green was named to four consecutive Pro Bowls and set the Packers' single-season rushing record with 1,883 yards and scored 20 touchdowns in 2003, his fourth season in Green Bay.

He finished his career with 9,205 yards on 2,056 carries and 60 touchdowns.

Truly one of my favorite RB's of all time. Loved watching him in the triple option even way back when. Not a lot of people remember it now, but he's personally responsible for getting UN a piece of Michigan's national championship when he absolutely demolished Tennessee. Thought that contract that Houston gave him was insane, but earned nonetheless. Farewell Ahman.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/former-green-bay-and-nebraska-rb-ahman-green-to-join-big-ten-network-as-sideline-analyst/2011/08/10/gIQAY1Wk6I_story.html

Former Green Bay and Nebraska RB Ahman Green to join Big Ten network as sideline analyst

By Associated Press, Updated: Wednesday, August 10, 11:52 AM

OMAHA, Neb. — Former Green Bay Packers and Nebraska running back Ahman Green is done playing football. Now he’s ready to start talking about it.

The Big Ten network has hired the 34-year-old Green as a sideline analyst for selected games this fall. His first assignment for BTN is Nebraska’s Sept. 3 opener against Tennessee-Chattanooga.

Green says his role would be to offer his opinion on strategies and other coaching decisions as well as other in-game issues. He also is doing some volunteer high school coaching this fall in Green Bay.

The Packers’ all-time leading rusher played last season in the UFL for his hometown Omaha Nighthawks. He said he hopes to sign a one-day contract with the Packers soon so he can retire as a member of the team.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Archived