Jets @ Dolphins in London next year?

nj meadowlands

Guys, think of the possibilities though...a reality show, "Rex in London". Geno goes to see a movie, get confused by time difference, end up in Russia. There is a lot of room for utter hilarity (and embarrassment) in this.

Geno wouldn't make it beyond the end of the street ... remember we drive on the LEFT over here.  :sign0151:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there really was a genuine interest than why did NFL Europe go bust? The NFL is nothing more than a niche sport, much like soccer is over here. We see pre-season soccer games sell out too, but attendances at a one-off event are hardly a fair indication of the sport's popularity.

I guess the NFL makes more money from selling tv rights, tickets and merchandise in London than they would in Canada or Mexico. I'm still absolutely certain that football is far more popular and widely followed in those countries than it will ever be in Europe.

Chiefs fans must be furious at the thought of losing a home game to London; there is nothing to do in those parts, they build their whole week around sunday...probably tailgate a day before the game. sucks for them.

NFL Europe was NFL has-beens / never-will-bes trying to audition for a practice squad place. Hence the lack of real interest.

What I find concerning in the talk about London getting a franchise - most of the fans who go to the Wembley games already support a team, in many cases very avidly (holidays to US to watch their team etc - not cheap!!!). Go to any Wembley game and you'll see jerseys from pretty much every NFL team there, regardless of who's playing (yes - we even have Patsie fans  :sign0182: ).

So who's going to support an expansion franchise? Will fans who've followed the Bears, Cowboys, Dolphins, Redskins, Giants - and yes, even the Jets - since the game took off in the UK in the mid 80's suddenly switch allegiance? You might end up finding that more people turn up to support the away team than the home team. (Insert witty Met Life analogy here ...)

So while it's a nice idea in principle, i just don't see it being practical. You'd need a generation to build up a local fan base, IMHO.

Archived