Holiday Shopping

Xtina

• 1 month later...

Have you tried Etsy? Etsy is the ideal place for selling/buying handmade items (its original purpose).

I buy ceramics from all over the world on Etsy. It's a very cool website.

Hi Jetrider, thanks for the advice. I have looked into Etsy and since they announced their plans to go public they have made a lot of rule changes not favoring the micro-business. They have completely relaxed the "handmade" rule to the point where people are selling stuff made in China and a technicality allows them to say they "made" it. They have also changed the search algorithm to favor the very largest companies so someone so small as myself doesn't stand a chance to be found. I think the fees may have been raised since then but I'm not sure about that. Between having to pay them fees and paying for my own website I'm not really sure it's worth it. 

Hi Jetrider, thanks for the advice. I have looked into Etsy and since they announced their plans to go public they have made a lot of rule changes not favoring the micro-business. They have completely relaxed the "handmade" rule to the point where people are selling stuff made in China and a technicality allows them to say they "made" it. They have also changed the search algorithm to favor the very largest companies so someone so small as myself doesn't stand a chance to be found. I think the fees may have been raised since then but I'm not sure about that. Between having to pay them fees and paying for my own website I'm not really sure it's worth it. 

That's news; didn't know they were charging fees. Huh. What Chinese made things are you referring to?

Also, judging from things I search for, many micro-shops surface. I know this for a fact cause I've purchased stuff from them - collectors who have only a few items.

Etsy is still largely comprised of side-gig do-it-yourselfers. I wouldn't let a few big shops scare you. Most started out small anyway.

Copper River bags is one that started with an inventory of a few one-off pieces for sale. They had no idea what was about to hit them. 

Archived