2018 NFL Draft Prospect: Brett Rypien

win4ever

He doesn't get the accolades of all the other guys coming out, but I think he's a definite sleeper next year in the draft (assuming he comes out) because there is a lot to like about him.  

1.  He has excellent arm strength, notice in the videos that he's throwing from opposite hash marks without endangering the pass.  

2.  He goes in a pro-style system:  It's not a true pro-style system but it's about as close as we will see in college these days now.

3.  He can create some time with his feet.

4.  Very good ball placement on these throws.

5.  You can clearly see him go through his progressions, but also watch his feet while in the pocket because he keeps resetting them constantly so he's ready to throw quicker.  

He does well in this game.

He has two pick six in this game (and I think they eventually lost at the last second or something) but the first pick six is known as the Darron Lee (2016) pass.  He sees a LB in coverage with his head turned and he went for the throw (Andrew Luck did it to Lee last year, and Ben too I think) and placed the ball great.  Unfortunately for him, the LB turns around, picks it off, and then makes a Beast Mode type run for the pick six.  The next one is off the hand of a receiver, deflected right to a defender.  You will also see a dropped TD, and a couple of dropped passes. 

He doesn't have ideal size, but I think he could be a really good QB if he progresses.  He's not going to get the acclaim of Rosen/Allen/Darnold/Jackson next year but as a pure QB I don't think he's all that far behind.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived