Syracuse's "other" DE to fly up the draft charts?

R44

Taped the Sryacuse/Virginia game and finally had a few minutes to watch it today, in a very busy week.

Anyhow, while everyone -- including Kiper -- is trumping up talented Syracuse DE James Wyche (I believe Wyche is a real good prospect) as a potential high pick, I came away much more impressed with his DE partner Ryan LaCasse--who is even faster than the fast Wyche.

I liked his game in 2004 (mentioned this here at JN before) and intended to watch him closely this season...wasn't disappointed Saturday, at all.

He's 6' 3", 250 pounds and running the 100 meters in high school, this Staughton, MA native was the state champion and ran almost as fast in the 100 meters as CB Justin Miller (Jets) did at Clemson.....Not bad for a DE?

http://www.suathletics.com/roster.asp?playerid=163&sport=187&roster=177&path=football

Against Virginia, he had at least 1 sack, pressured QB Marques Haggans, a super athlete, about 4 times (would've sacked almost any other QB in American 3 times--no joke) and picked off a throw in the end zone, dropping back into coverage--Vey Grant Wistrom like, circa 1997....This all happened going up against superstar OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson about 50% of the snaps I watched!

3 games this season, he has 17 tackles, 4 sacks and 5 TFL's (Wyche has 0 sacks, 0.5 TFL's so far)....He also was able to run down Virginia WR's from behind :wtf:

P.S: Upstate NY/Boston area connection, couple with the speed and weight, will immediately conjure up memories of Mike Mamula (workout warrior), I suppose, by some.

Great job Rigs, AS ALWAYS. LaCasse is a good player and a great athlete that is benefitting from Greg Robinson being verrrry tricky with his front-seven schemes, something that Chris Rippon, the former DC, was always trying to do, but was always handcuffed by Coach P, it seems. I am surprised at how much attention Wyche is drawing from OC's. I guess the fact that SU's DT's aren't exactly great penetrators is hurting Wyche, or Wyche is kinda trying to grow into his new, bigger, body. Either way, great call on LaCasse and I'll be sure to keep a closer eye on him. The Cuse just lost their other WR and are down to 3rd and 4th stringers, and with Perry Patterson being a terrible drop back passer, the Cuse D will be on the field ALOT this season. Alot of opportunities for Wyche and LaCasse to go after the passer.

TS, Patterson is retro--Paul P. era QB and that's not a great thing.... Would love to see how Major Applewhite could coach a traditional QB in the 'CusE system.

Their defense, led by the DE's and the DB's is so good, but that offense is bland and not special :x

La Casse looks pretty fluid dropping into coverage. Actually, both him and Wyche are enjoyable to watch...they just standout as NFL caliber players.

Watchout for that Marques Haggans, UVA QB, he could be WR convert at the NFL level and look good out there--at least Ron Curry like.

Also, small scoop, watchout for tall UNLV junior QB Shane Steichen, who's 6'4" and runs like the wind....After 2 good games early this season, he reverted back to 2004 his form and was terrible against a weak Nevada defense--was just 7 of 25....

UNLV has USC transfer Rocky Hinds coming in next season to QB, so they could move Steichen outside and he could be a "poor mans" Matt Jones....Already has 70 and 50 yard (I think) runs after 3 games...Is said to run in the 4.5's, but is a long-strider that PLAYS faster.

TS, Patterson is retro--Paul P. era QB and that's not a great thing.... Would love to see how Major Applewhite could coach a traditional QB in the 'CusE system.

Their defense, led by the DE's and the DB's is so good, but that offense is bland and not special :x

La Casse looks pretty fluid dropping into coverage. Actually, both him and Wyche are enjoyable to watch...they just standout as NFL caliber players.

Watchout for that Marques Haggans, UVA QB, he could be WR convert at the NFL level and look good out there--at least Ron Curry like.

Also, small scoop, watchout for tall UNLV junior QB Shane Steichen, who's 6'4" and runs like the wind....After 2 good games early this season, he reverted back to 2004 his form and was terrible against a weak Nevada defense--was just 7 of 25....

UNLV has USC transfer Rocky Hinds coming in next season to QB, so they could move Steichen outside and he could be a "poor mans" Matt Jones....Already has 70 and 50 yard (I think) runs after 3 games...Is said to run in the 4.5's, but is a long-strider that PLAYS faster.

Rigs, a question I wanted to ask you and now especially after watching Omar Jacobs struggle against Boise St. If you could have ONE of these QB's in the NCAA ranks right now to start your NFL team with, besides Leinart, who would it be?

No joke, Drew Stanton of Michigan State.

Great athlete.....decent, but not great arm. However, pinpoint accuracy.

Good one! I was thinking you were going to lean toward Brady Quinn. I'm still on the Chad Henne bandwagon though. I love his mental toughness, unlike the Jets present QB who can't get his "footwork" correct.

Archived