Pace Sees Positives in Defense Being Pushed

JetsFan34

http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2010/08/08/pace-sees-positives-in-defense-being-pushed/

Posted by Eric Allen on August 8, 2010 – 12:35 pm

It wasn’t exactly what you expected from the NFL’s best defense. After getting burned on a 70-yard scoring hookup from Mark Sanchez to LaDainian Tomlinson, the Jets’ defense was understandably subdued.

“It was quiet. To be honest with you, our offense has really been pushing us to the limit,” said OLB Calvin Pace. “I’m not sure if they have new plays, but they’re really clicking right now and they’re making us better. That’s the beauty of this. There is no other team that has the caliber of receivers that we have, the running backs, the line and the quarterbacks — so it’s tough every day.”

Just one play at SUNY Cortland on Aug. 7 does not make a year. After all, Tomlinson is one of the greatest receiving backs in NFL history and the Green & White’s empty formation gave the offense a favorable matchup.

“I saw him [Tomlinson] motion out and I didn’t know Dave [Harris] went out to cover him. The D-line could have gotten more pressure to make it harder for them,” said Pace, who’s racked up 15 sacks over the past two seasons. “That’s the reason why he’s one of the best backs ever. But again, we could have been in a better situation to prepare for that. We did a pretty good job rebounding from that play.”

Pace helped settle things down a little bit, sacking backup QB Mark Brunell on the offense’s second possession as the first-team defense wouldn’t surrender a point the rest of the night. The play was whistled down because the redshirted Brunell was off limits to the 6’4”, 265-pound Pace.

“That’s what the preseason is for and obviously you can’t complain. Everybody saw it was there and it counts the same, basically,” said the eight-year vet. “A week from Monday, I get a chance to really get a hit on the quarterback.”

A week into camp, the defense has done a lot of positive things and they’ll be better off after getting challenged each day by what could become a very explosive offense. The “D” has a year under its belt in the Rex Ryan/Mike Pettine system, so the familiarity is there and they’re going to be heard from by their opposition.

“I think we’re ahead of schedule right now, but then again our offense has gotten better — a whole lot better,” said Pace. “This is training camp and we’re ironing out some kinks right now. Monday against the Giants, we can let out some frustration.”

http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2010/08/08/pace-sees-positives-in-defense-being-pushed/

Posted by Eric Allen on August 8, 2010 – 12:35 pm

It wasn’t exactly what you expected from the NFL’s best defense. After getting burned on a 70-yard scoring hookup from Mark Sanchez to LaDainian Tomlinson, the Jets’ defense was understandably subdued.

“It was quiet. To be honest with you, our offense has really been pushing us to the limit,” said OLB Calvin Pace. “I’m not sure if they have new plays, but they’re really clicking right now and they’re making us better. That’s the beauty of this. There is no other team that has the caliber of receivers that we have, the running backs, the line and the quarterbacks — so it’s tough every day.”

Just one play at SUNY Cortland on Aug. 7 does not make a year. After all, Tomlinson is one of the greatest receiving backs in NFL history and the Green & White’s empty formation gave the offense a favorable matchup.

“I saw him [Tomlinson] motion out and I didn’t know Dave [Harris] went out to cover him. The D-line could have gotten more pressure to make it harder for them,” said Pace, who’s racked up 15 sacks over the past two seasons. “That’s the reason why he’s one of the best backs ever. But again, we could have been in a better situation to prepare for that. We did a pretty good job rebounding from that play.”

Pace helped settle things down a little bit, sacking backup QB Mark Brunell on the offense’s second possession as the first-team defense wouldn’t surrender a point the rest of the night. The play was whistled down because the redshirted Brunell was off limits to the 6’4”, 265-pound Pace.

“That’s what the preseason is for and obviously you can’t complain. Everybody saw it was there and it counts the same, basically,” said the eight-year vet. “A week from Monday, I get a chance to really get a hit on the quarterback.”

A week into camp, the defense has done a lot of positive things and they’ll be better off after getting challenged each day by what could become a very explosive offense. The “D” has a year under its belt in the Rex Ryan/Mike Pettine system, so the familiarity is there and they’re going to be heard from by their opposition.

I think we’re ahead of schedule right now, but then again our offense has gotten better — a whole lot better,” said Pace. “This is training camp and we’re ironing out some kinks right now. Monday against the Giants, we can let out some frustration.”

That has me excited!!If our offense has gotten that much better we are going to whup some a$$ this season..........:)

Archived