Cardinals not interested in Tiki Barber

Jetsfan80

I think we should give the Cardinals a ring and see if they'd be interested in LT. Looks to me like Tomlinson is done, and perhaps we can get a decent draft choice out of it?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=918&line=210137&spln=1

Cardinals won't look at Tiki Barber

Aug. 22 - 9:37 am et

Cardinals GM Rod Graves confirmed that he won't be looking at free agent RB Tiki Barber.

The Cardinals are on the hunt for a backup to Beanie Wells, but Barber isn't in their plans. It's a bad sign for Tiki as the Cards are desperate after losing Ryan Williams (knee) for the season. There is little left on the street in terms of running back help.

More bad news for Barber. Looks like his window is closing:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/31467853

Tiki Barber has had one workout this preseason

Posted by Ryan Wilson

Posted on: August 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Remember when Tiki Barber announced this spring that he was coming out of retirement? And the scuttlebutt that several teams (including the Steelers and Buccaneers) would likely give him a shot at redemption? Well, we're more than three weeks into training camp and Barber has had a grand total of one workout, with the Dolphins, and he left Miami without a contract.

That was on August 3. We haven't heard a word from him since, even though the Patriots are inviting every old-timer with a pulse to Foxboro to go through the paces (they even signed a few).

With the NFL regular season three weeks away, Barber's window of opportunity appears to be slamming shut. The New York Daily News Gary Myers writes that despite Barber's complicated back story, the former Giants running back has earned the right for another shot.

"Regardless of what you think of how Barber left the Giants in his prime - and it wasn't pretty - or the comments he subsequently made about Eli Manning or Tom Coughlin, or how he split from his wife while she was pregnant with twins, that has nothing to do with this simple fact: He deserves a chance to prove he can still play," Myers wrote Saturday.

"Michael Vick and Plaxico Burress each missed two full seasons serving jail time and had no trouble finding work. But nobody wants to touch Barber."

For all the reasons Myers cited above. Both Vick and Burress were considered good teammates -- something we can't say about Barber -- and both possessed enough raw ability, even after stints in prison, that several teams thought signing them was worth the risk.

Barber's a 36-year-old running back four years removed from his last NFL snap. In football terms, 36 might as well be 86. And his inability to get along with teammates and coaches negates any on-field talents he might have left.

"Somebody might give him a tryout. Nobody is going to give him any money," one GM said when Barber announced in March he was coming back. "I wouldn't even acknowledge it. I would rather read the cartoons. What running back plays at 36? Who wants to bring a guy in for one year?"

Barber's best shot at resurrecting his NFL career might come after the regular season is underway and only if a team has a run on injuries at the running back position and are in desperate need for help. Otherwise, his un-retirement announcement will be just that: words.

Myers adds that "Barber had two years and $8.2 million left on his Giants contract when he retired. He turned down a four-year, $13.2 million deal to work at Fox, where he built up a lot of good will and on-air experience during his playing days, to accept NBC's three-year, $5.7 million deal. He retired too early and then took the wrong TV deal."

Unlike when Barber abruptly retired in 2006, his NFL career is now out of his hands. On the upside, former Giants head coach Jim Fassel has extended Barber an offer to join UFL's Las Vegas Locomotives.

For more NFL news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnNFL on Twitter and subscribe to our RSS Feed.

the o-line was awful, LT still has some wiggle left.

they would be smart to just wait for final cuts

They're probably regretting letting go of Tim Hightower now. The fact that they're on the market for a # 2 back tells me they don't have much confidence in Larod Stephens-Howling outside of being a kick returner, either.

I think we should give the Cardinals a ring and see if they'd be interested in LT. Looks to me like Tomlinson is done, and perhaps we can get a decent draft choice out of it?

http://www.rotoworld...e=210137&spln=1

Cardinals won't look at Tiki Barber

Aug. 22 - 9:37 am et

Cardinals GM Rod Graves confirmed that he won't be looking at free agent RB Tiki Barber.

The Cardinals are on the hunt for a backup to Beanie Wells, but Barber isn't in their plans. It's a bad sign for Tiki as the Cards are desperate after losing Ryan Williams (knee) for the season. There is little left on the street in terms of running back help.

"LT looked like sh*t so lets trade him for a pick"

You don't think they watched him too? lol

Archived