Jets News Sept 8

flgreen

Matching Up

Bryant: Jets DBs "Probably The Best"

Josh Ellis

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – On a conference call Wednesday morning, Jets coach Rex Ryan said he expected a lot of quick passes from Tony Romo on Sunday night, with the Cowboys quarterback playing behind a young offensive line for the first time.

Theoretically, that would play into New York's hands. The Jets have handed out some $46 million in guarantees to their top two cornerbacks in the last year. It should only make the job of Darelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie easier to not have to cover as long. That raises the importance of the Cowboys' wide receivers winning their individual matchups, and the group knows how difficult that will be.

"They are great," Dez Bryant said of the Jets' corners. "They're some great DBs. Probably the best. They are the best. But, you know, we look forward to this matchup between our wideouts and their DBs. It's going to be great."

Revis, widely considered the league's best cover man, was handed a four-year, $46 million contract with $32 million guaranteed last Sept. 6, and Cromartie got a four-year, $32 million deal at the start of free agency this year, pocketing $14 million in guarantees.

Ryan, the architect of the Jets' defense, called the two players the cornerstones of his unit.

"That's how we like to play defense," Ryan said. "We're almost doing it a little backward. You always like to get the front first and then the corners second, or the back end second, but in our system, we've got those two great corners, so that's kind of how we're building our team."

On top of the challenge playing against two of the league's better coverage guys, the Cowboys will be tested by the environment at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, the 10th anniversary of 9/11. A loud stadium could make things more difficult on the Cowboys' passing game, forcing Bryant, Miles Austin and the other pass-catchers to make the same reads as Romo without being able to communicate audibly.

To get ready, the Cowboys are piping in sound during practice this week.

"We're just going to try our best to block out all the other stuff and play our game, and I feel like we're doing a good job of it," Bryant said. "We're also practicing with a little noise – they bring out the noise. It's nothing compared to what it's going to be like Sept. 11, but it helps. ... Tony does a great job of explaining to us in the meeting room, showing us the signals and making sure everybody's got it down pat. I feel like when we're out there that noise doesn't even matter."

Bryant said a stadium environment hasn't bothered him since his freshman year at college, when he dropped several balls in a game at Georgia.

Jets' Wednesday notes

Thursday, September 8, 2011 Last updated: Thursday September 8, 2011, 2:04 AM

The Record

Did Jets' gambit work?

The Jets claimed former Dallas safety Andrew Sendejo on waivers Sunday, one day after he was cut by the Cowboys. Coach Rex Ryan admitted Monday that Sendejo would be questioned for any information he could provide.

Dallas quarterback Tony Romo said Wednesday the Cowboys have taken precautions, just in case.

Romo was asked on a conference call about the similarities between the defenses of twins, Jets coach Rex Ryan and Dallas coordinator Rob Ryan, and replied, "Yes, I think there are some similarities. I think there are a lot of differences, as well. It's funny, because Rob had a defense already put in for the Jets, a bunch of stuff in that I think he wanted to do in different areas.

"Then, when the Jets [acquired] Andrew Sendejo," Romo added, "he ended up switching a lot of that stuff up, so I thought that was pretty interesting when I was watching the defensive side of the ball here this week. I've never seen that before, so I think there is a little cat-and-mouse game there, for sure."

Sanchez replies to Rodgers

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was asked about comments by Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, who called the photos in Sanchez's recent GQ spread "embarrassing" and "terrible."

"I think he was, obviously, making a joke out of it," Sanchez said, "and that's fine, giving me a good ribbing like the guys on our team. That's totally understandable, but I'm just happy that it ended up working out for a good cause and we got to partner with two great companies and one great charity, with Hugo Boss and Tuesday's Children. It worked out for the better and I can take a little razzing for the way it ended up. I know he's just joking around, so that's totally fine."

Briefs

Jets FB John Conner (ankle) and backup QB Mark Brunell (calf) both were limited in practice Wednesday. … Dallas starting RT Tyron Smith, a rookie, suffered a knee injury in practice Wednesday and reportedly will be out two to four weeks. Second-year pro Jermey Parnell likely would take his place.

— J.P. Pelzman

Remark by Jets coach not right in current climate

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:12 AM, September 8, 2011

Posted: 2:23 AM, September 8, 2011

More Print

Jets coach Rex Ryan was asked yesterday if he expects to see Cowboys fans in the stadium Sunday night.

“I don’t know why they’d be here,” Ryan said. “They’re coming into our stadium. It’s probably not recommended that you wear Cowboys stuff, I would think.”

Ryan made the remark off the cuff, but it is not the smartest message to deliver in light of recent fan violence at stadiums in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Just this week, a soccer fan in England was attacked outside Wembley Stadium and died.

Ryan clearly wasn’t advocating violence, but there will be enough problems with an 8:20 p.m. start to open the season without him inciting fans.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

POST NFL PREVIEW

The Cowboys have been hit hard by injuries, and might not have either starting cornerback Sunday. Starting cornerback Terence Newman missed practice yesterday with a groin injury and likely won’t play. Dallas’ other corner, Mike Jenkins, left practice with an injured knee. Starting right tackle Tyron Smith also suffered a knee injury and left practice. Smith was one of three rookies expected to start on the line for the Cowboys.

Reports out of Dallas said Smith’s injury was serious and it sounds like he won’t play Sunday.

The Jets had a dismal start to last season, falling 10-9 to the Ravens. Quarterback Mark Sanchez said the team learned from that.

“I think last year we were just trying too hard,” he said, “and you get that pressure from ‘Hard Knocks’ and you have to show the world everything you’ve got and we have all these new players and want to do so much. Just be ourselves and go with what you know.

“We’re a good rushing team but we can throw the ball when we need to. We’re going to have great field position with our special teams. Our defense is going to get the offense the ball back. That’s it. Don’t get too cute. Don’t make anything up on game day. Just play and have fun.”

* Fullback John Conner (sprained right ankle) participated in team drills yesterday, and said he will play Sunday. . . . Backup quarterback Mark Brunell (right calf) was limited in practice.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/shooting_from_the_hip_glib_ryan_IKJ5RYWOsFEFY0KJmPKcFP#ixzz1XMpZ0pTL

Cimini's 10 keys to the season

September, 8, 2011

Sep 8

6:00

AM ET

Email

Print

Comments6

The Jets' goal is to end the season in Indianapolis, playing for the Super Bowl. Here's a road map -- 10 keys to the 2011 season:

1. Mark Sanchez needs 2.5 more completions per week: He completed only 55 percent of his passes last season. Ideally, the coaches would like 65 percent, but that's not realistic. Only one active quarterback made a 10-perent jump from Year 1 to Year 2 or Year 2 to 3, according to the Elias Sports Bureau -- and that was Vince Young, of all passers. If Sanchez can get to, say, 63 percent, the offense would function more efficiently. That, based on last season's attempt total (32 per game), breaks down to 2.5 more completions per week. It doesn't seem like much, but it's harder than it sounds.

2. Shonn Greene needs at least 272 rushing attempts. He posted 108 and 185 in his first two seasons, but now he's the lead running back and it's time to take it up into the feature-back category. Why 272? That's 17 carries per game, which is about the average for the eighth- to 12th-ranked rushers. If Greene can be in that neighborhood, it'll mean he's healthy and productive -- and the Jets can't win if he's not healthy and productive.

3. Dramatic improvement in the red zone. Their success rate last season was an awful 44 percent, 28th in the league. In an effort to get better, they hired offensive guru Tom Moore as a consultant and signed 6-foot-5 receiver Plaxico Burress. The Jets' goal is 60 percent, which probably would put them in the top 10. That might be on the ambitious side, but if they could get it up to 55 percent, it would make such an impact on the overall game. Just think: If they could take one possession per game and score a touchdown instead of a field goal, they'd take their 22.9 ppg (2010 average) to about 27 ppg -- big difference.

4. Don't abandon Ground & Pound. Rex Ryan is talking about airing it out more than in the past, but it would be a mistake to forget about their run-oriented roots. Their run-pass ratio was 51-49 last season, and it would be okay to become slightly more pass-heavy, but it would be wrong to try to be something they're not. Yes, Sanchez cut down his interceptions last season, and he's ready for more on his plate, but let's not forget he led the league with 15 dropped INTs. With Burress, Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason at receiver, it'll be tempting to chuck it around, but they should remember they're a defensive-minded team that relies on a ball-control offense.

5. Keep the big fellas healthy. Sometimes a football team needs to be lucky with injuries, and you can definitely include the Jets in that category. They're perilously thin on both lines and at linebacker. Consider: Their backups at the five OL, three DL and 4 LB spots have a combined total of ZERO NFL starts. That's scary. A concentration of injuries at any one spot could wipe out their season.

6. Play less man-to-man and more zone. As everybody knows, the Jets are predominantly a man-to-man team on defense, but they became predictable last season. A couple of players told me the same thing. Opponents burned them with quick-hitting, short routes to slot receivers, backs and tight ends, sometimes exploiting the man coverage by using "bunch" formations and "pick" plays. Toward the end of the year, especially in the playoffs, they used more zone-based coverages, confusing Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. They should learn from that; it will add another dimension to Ryan's complex system.

7. Improve on third down. The Jets held opponents to a 37-percent conversion rate, which isn't half-bad (10th), but those numbers are deceiving. They allowed more big plays on third down than any team in the league -- 22 plays of at least 20 yards, according to Football Outsiders. That is shocking for a Ryan-coached defense. Some players blame communication issues in the secondary, which had three new players in prominent roles -- CB Antonio Cromartie, S Brodney Pool and nickel back Kyle Wilson. They can't use that as an alibi anymore because their top nine DBs all have at least one year in the system. S Jim Leonhard said the on-field communication has never been better, and that should help them on the "money" down -- third.

8. Show up in the first quarter. This has to be one of the stats of the year: The Jets went the final 15 games (counting the postseason) without scoring an offensive touchdown in the first quarter. How is that possible? Sanchez is a notoriously slow starter. To his credit, he orchestrated five fourth-quarter comeback wins, but it was tight-rope city in a few of those games. Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer needs to be aggressive early in games, forcing defenses to react to them -- not vice versa. Sanchez's lack of experience isn't an excuse anymore; he should be able to execute new wrinkles on a weekly basis.

9. Own September. The Jets need a fast start -- we're talking 3-0 -- because the schedule gets tougher in October (Ravens, Patriots and Chargers). They should be able to jump out of the gate quickly because of two factors: They're healthy and they have continuity (18 returning starters), two huge factors in the post-lockout world. The Jets didn't make any coaching changes and didn't change their playbook, and that should give them an edge on teams learning on the fly -- i.e. the Cowboys' defense under new coordinator Rob Ryan.

10. Beat the Patriots -- twice. Ryan challenged the rest of the league to make like the Jets and beat the Patriots. That would help the Jets' chances of winning the division, but they shouldn't count on that kind of help. They will need to take matters into their own hands and sweep the series from the Belichicks.

Cimini prediction: 10-6, AFC wild-card berth.

Aaron Rodgers calls Mark Sanchez's photo spread in GQ 'embarrassing,' Jets QB brushes it off

BY Kristie Ackert

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 8th 2011, 4:00 AM

alg_aaron-rodgers-mark-sanchez.jpg

Eric Gay/AP; GQ MagazineGreen Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (l.) calls Mark Sanchez's GQ spread 'embarrassing' and 'terrible.' Sanchez (below) says he's just focused on a good start in Week 1.

amd_mark-sanchez-practice.jpg

Andrew Theodorakis/News

Mark Sanchez posed in the white skinny pants and black tank top, and he takes ownership of his image. The GQ metrosexual photo spread is something he is proud of, even though it has earned him quite a bit of teasing in the Jets locker room and around the league.

Wednesday, the Jets quarterback tried to shrug off the criticism of his image from Packers QB Aaron Rodgers, who called the photo spread "embarrassing."

"I think he was, obviously, making a joke out of it, and that's fine, giving me a good ribbing like the guys on our team," Sanchez said in a statement released by the Jets. "That's totally understandable, but I'm just happy that it ended up working out for a good cause and we got to partner with two great companies and one great charity, with Hugo Boss and Tuesday's Children. It worked out for the better and I can take a little razzing for the way it ended up. I know he's just joking around, so that's totally fine."

Wednesday, on his weekly radio show in Milwaukee, the Super Bowl MVP mocked Sanchez's photo spread in GQ, and specifically called the pictures of Sanchez embarrassing.

"Look at this," Rodgers said in the ESPN radio interview. "That's embarrassing. Page 94 of the GQ thing here. That's terrible."

Actually, Sanchez disagreed about what is embarrassing. What was terrible to him was his Week 1 performance last season. After becoming the face of the in-your-face new Jets, one of the TV stars of "Hard Knocks," Sanchez flopped on national television. He could not lead the Jets to a touchdown in a 10-9 loss to the Ravens. He threw for just 74 yards, completing 10 of 21 passes.

"Last year, we were trying too hard," Sanchez said. "(We) got that pressure from 'Hard Knocks,' got to show the world everything we got and we got all these new players and you want to do so much. (This year, we) just (have to) be ourselves. Go with what you know. We're a good rushing team. We can throw the ball when we need to. We're going to have good field position with our special teams. Our defense is going to get the offense the ball back."

Sanchez was able to get back on track the next week, throwing for three touchdowns in a win over the Patriots.

But the completion problem was one lingered on for the rest of the season.

Sanchez completed 196 of 364 passes, 54.8%, last year. Only two quarterbacks in the NFL (Jimmy Clausen and Derek Anderson) had worse completion percentages.

It is a point of emphasis for him this year. He said he is trying to be quicker to look for help from his running backs or look for shorter, quicker passes and more completions.

"Just going through my progression, being confident like I am and getting completions when I can," Sanchez said.

While Sanchez is trying to improve his completion rate, Rex Ryan is focused on another stats that his quarterback is racking up: wins.

"You'd love to see your quarterback over 60 (%)," Ryan said Wednesday. "Our system is probably a little different than others. We'll take probably more shots down field than some teams will. ... The big thing is wins. Protect the football and let's find ways to get wins. If he's at 55 (%)and we're winning games, it doesn't (matter). I don't have him on my fantasy football team. I just want my quarterback to win."

Jets Will Go With More Two-TE Formations

by TJ Rosenthal

Many Jets fans had immediate dreams of a two tight end set the minute that Tom Moore, the former Colts offensive guru arrived in Florham Park as the newest member of the Jets staff. However, even with the emergence of Jeff Cumberland this Summer with the second unit, the Jets never unveiled what many thought might be a new look for the Jets playbook. Priorities made it such that the Jets in limited time had to work the new receiving corps out first. Perhaps the two tight end set is next in line. Even kept under wraps on purpose for the time being.

The Jets would have loved to by this time, have had their new wide receiving corps that includes Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason, and rookie Jeremy Kerley healthy and firing on all cylinders first. That hasn’t happened yet. Foremr Rams WR Mardy Gilyard has now been added to this group. One that will go into week one unproven as a group.

Both Burress and Mason missed time due to minor injuries and the offensive line started some second string players during the time that Mark Sanchez took first half snaps. Therefore the playbook was limited to safer throws that kept Sanchez out of harms way for too many plays.

With the Jets focus on the wideouts being the passing game’s top priority it’s understandable that the club hasn’t gone to the next phase of development in adding 6’4 Cumberland to downfield routes with Keller yet. That’s doesn’t mean it won’t happen. Should they roll out a formation that DOES include both Cumberland and Dustin Keller, one that the Patriots took to another level in 2010, it will be done without having attempted it during any of the four Summer tune ups.

If and when it the duo DO emerge out of the huddle together, there will also be no guaranteed success that the duo of Cumberland and Keller will match the effectiveness that Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski displayed up in Foxboro. With Moore’s tutelage and track record however, this type of addition to the air attack COULD provide Sanchez the ability to find a high percentage rythym with big targets at close range. In places on the field that don’t include the flat. Where moves have to be made by those with the ball, just to cross the line of scrimmage.

Many who follow the Jets still wonder if this scenario will unfold in 2011. Dreaming about the potential upside it could bring the Jets offense, should Cumberland and Keller benefit from each others presence in the same personnel package.

Posted by John Fennelly at 6:50 AM

Labels: Dustin Keller, Jets, New York Jets, NYJ

Transcripts: Revis & Mason 9/7

by Bassett on September 8th, 2011 at 9:00 am

New York Jets CB Darrelle Revis, 9.7

On the emotions of playing on 9/11…

Very emotional. September 11th, the 10-year anniversary, it’s something that happened in American history that’s devastating for everybody, we lost family. So, this is a very important game for us.

On where he was when the attacks occurred…

It happened in 2001, I was a sophomore in high school. I was in class. Teachers turned on the TV and everybody was watching it. It was a very scary moment.

On what the atmosphere will be like on Sunday night…

It’s going to be outstanding. The fans are ready to go. They’re going to be rowdy as always. I think we just need to calm down and be cool and just play our game.

On Cowboys QB Tony Romo…

He can make any throw. He’s a gunslinger. The guy makes plays with his feet while he scrambles a little bit. He looks for his guys. He looks for (Jason) Witten, he looks for Dez (Bryant), and he looks for Miles Austin.

New York Jets WR Derrick Mason, 9.7

On playing on the 10-year anniversary of 9/11…

It’s going to be an emotional time for everyone out there, obviously, for the people who were directly affected by it. It’ll be an emotional time for me, for everyone, because we all knew where we all were when it all happened, and 10 years later, remember it. It kind of makes it seem like yesterday. So, we’re going to reflect on it and move on from there.

On how he will keep his emotions in check…

You know you’ve got a task at hand. Take the time out to give respect to those who lost their lives, to those who were (affected by it), to those who volunteered and everything else. Give your time and your prayers and then after that, you have a task at hand and that’s to go out there and play football.

On where he was that morning and what his reaction was…

I was shocked. I was in a process of getting a house built. I went out with the builder to see the house, got back in the car and heard it over the radio, then went to the dealership and sat there. My car was getting serviced. My family and I sat there for about two hours and watched what was going on. It just was shocking. Fortunately for myself, there was no one directly involved that I knew. I had players on my team who were directly affected by it. So, going into work the next day and being a part of all that, it was a very sad night and day.

2. Shonn Greene needs at least 272 rushing attempts. He posted 108 and 185 in his first two seasons, but now he's the lead running back and it's time to take it up into the feature-back category. Why 272? That's 17 carries per game, which is about the average for the eighth- to 12th-ranked rushers. If Greene can be in that neighborhood, it'll mean he's healthy and productive -- and the Jets can't win if he's not healthy and productive.

Cimini is a freakin' moron. The Jets are carrying a stable of 4 HBs, but they can't win without Shonn Greene? Give me a break.

That whole article is retarded.

This list should begin and end with Sanchez. Shone Greens needs a certain amount of rushing attempts is just silly.

Agreed, there's plenty of other things I considered pointing to as moronic in that article, but I just felt that one eclipsed the idiocy of the rest of his statements.

Archived