Jets News 10-11

flgreen

Less Blustery Rex Looks to Pull Jets Out of Skid

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: October 10, 2011 at 7:33 PM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Rex Ryan and the New York Jets left New England searching for their swagger.

The jokes aren't flying from the coach as they did in his first two seasons, and the juicy sound bites might be a bit toned down and not as frequent. Suddenly, the NFL's biggest bunch of chatterboxes is strangely silent.

A losing record and a humbling three-game road skid can do that to even the loudest of teams.

"It's a 100-percent fact that each team is going to have to deal with adversity," Ryan said Monday.

"And this is our opportunity."

The Jets (2-3) are coming off a 30-21 loss to the rival Patriots, a game that left many players searching for silver linings and encouraging moments. All that Super Bowl stuff and the big, brash talk? That's for another time. It's now all about their must-win matchup — yes, even this early in the season — with the winless Miami Dolphins next Monday night.

"There can be a lot of titles for this game," nose tackle Sione Pouha said. "But for us, it's the next game and a game we've got to win."

Ryan and the players are saying all the right things, at least publicly, and using all the cliches in the book to try to convince everyone that this team is not on the verge of falling apart. In a quick but light moment, Ryan opened his news conference by saying he was a couple of minutes late because he was locked out of one of the facility's doors and jokingly wondered if it was some sort of message.

That's the Rex Ryan most are used to seeing in the daily 20-minute yuck fests disguised as news conferences.

There just hasn't been a lot to laugh about so far this season, between the defensive lapses, sloppy plays, poor performances by quarterback Mark Sanchez and inconsistent game plans on offense.

There was even a report — which the team, Ryan and players supposedly involved vehemently denied — that the wide receivers are unhappy with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Ryan even reiterated his support of Schottenheimer, saying he feels "great" about him.

But it all has many wondering if the Jets' locker room is one more loss away from being an extremely uncomfortable place to be.

"This team is not going to (break) just because we're 2-3 right now," Ryan said. "That's when you get stronger. That's when you come in together and you build character. This is a resilient bunch. I'm telling you, we'll see. I believe in this football team."

That might be because Ryan and the Jets have been in this position before. In fact, New York has gone through difficult stretches in each of Ryan's first two seasons only to rebound in the end and make it to the AFC championship game both times.

"We're a team that's built to keep on swinging," Pouha said, "no matter what the situation or circumstances might be."

In Ryan's first season, as he has often reminded everyone during the last few weeks, the Jets had not one but two three-game losing streaks and became the first team to make the playoffs under those circumstances.

Last season, the Jets constantly dealt with off-field issues — filming "Hard Knocks," the treatment of a female television reporter, Braylon Edwards' drunken-driving arrest — and lost three of their last five games before rolling through the playoffs.

"Our confidence isn't down," tight end Dustin Keller insisted. "We're still very confident in our abilities. We have a lot more we can bring to the table. Everything hasn't been great the past three games, but we're going to get it right. ... We've been in a spot like this before and turned it around."

Entering this season, though, Ryan talked about how the Jets needed to take a different path to the postseason. They need to knock off the Patriots, he said during training camp, and win the AFC East so they can host a few playoff games instead of being on the road throughout as they have the last two years.

The Jets are now already two games behind both the Patriots and Buffalo Bills, and must get better in a hurry. That goes for Ryan's vaunted defense, which has allowed career rushing days by Oakland's Darren McFadden and New England's BenJarvus Green-Ellis in the last three weeks. It goes for the offensive line, which looked better Sunday with the return of center Nick Mangold from injury, but needs to protect Sanchez better and help the running game. It also goes for Sanchez, who hasn't yet taken the expected leap in his third season but has also been battered by critics and defenses.

"I think the only way to grind yourself out of this, the hole we put ourselves in," Mangold said, "is by working. I think that's the mindset we have to take moving forward."

Safety Eric Smith acknowledged that "everyone is frustrated" by the way the Jets have been playing, and suggested that some players have strayed from their roles on defense. Ryan said it's all a matter of getting back to basics.

"Everything you do starts with alignment, assignment and technique," Ryan said. "And we have to be 100 percent on those things."

Sounds simple enough, although the Jets know it's far from easy. Winning can bring the laughs again, and it all starts with the coach.

"I don't see us losing our confidence," Ryan said. "I think maybe people outside of that room are going to lose confidence. We're not. I'm confident in the fact that I see signs of us getting better. We have to, obviously. This is a critical game for us Monday night, and that's where our focus is going to be."

___

Notes: WR Derrick Mason saw little action against the Patriots, catching one pass, while rookie Jeremy Kerley played a bulk of the snaps in three-receiver sets. But Ryan said it was a matter of production by Mason than the wide receiver making critical comments after the loss in Baltimore last week. "You guys know we have an open policy with the media," Ryan said. "I don't put a muzzle on anybody." ... The Jets have allowed 98 points the last three weeks.

Jets coach Rex Ryan defends Brian Schottenheimer, says his team will improve

Published: Monday, October 10, 2011, 10:30 PM Updated: Monday, October 10, 2011, 10:49 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

The National Football League has a 100 percent injury rate, Jets coach Rex Ryan often says. He also believes it has a 100 percent adversity rate, meaning that at some point, every team will be given its dose.

Right now, the Jets are taking theirs. The losers of three straight face many important questions, most notably: Where do they go from here?

“I don’t see us losing our confidence,” Ryan said today, less than 24 hours removed from the Jets’ 30-21 loss to the New England Patriots. “I think maybe people outside of that room are going to lose confidence. We’re not. I’m confident in the fact that I see signs of us getting better.”

Five games into the season, the Jets (2-3) are challenged with overcoming their slowest start under Ryan. They are still searching for an offensive identity and defensive dominance, while also dealing with public speculation about internal divides.

Ryan has cited twice in two days his 2009 team, the first in NFL history to bounce back from two three-game losing streaks to reach the AFC Championship Game. Of course, this is a different group, with some of the same locker-room core but also many new parts. Ryan still expects resilience, not fractures among the team.

“We put together a lot better football team and a group of characters than that,” he said. “We’re 2-3 right now. That’s when you get stronger; that’s when you come in together and you build that character. This is a resilient bunch, I’m telling you. We’ll see. I believe in this football team. We may get beat, but we’re not going to get beat because we don’t believe in each other or we’re coming apart at the seams. That’s not who we are.”

Keeping with that mantra, Ryan avowed his support for offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

He said he feels “great” about Schottenheimer and “fortunate” to have him on staff, despite the offense’s inconsistent outing Sunday. The Jets had seven three-and-outs, and a third-down conversion rate of just 27 percent, against the league’s worst-ranked defense entering the game.

Asked if he would get more involved in the Jets offense, Ryan said “this whole team is my responsibility. ... I’m here for this whole football team, and this has my name on it.”

Schottenheimer was at the center of a New York Daily News report Sunday that the team and parties involved have since denied. According to the report, receivers Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason went to Ryan to question Schottenheimer’s system. Ryan again denied the report today.

“I said it was untrue, because it was untrue,” Ryan said. “The great thing is, with that one, I can guarantee it was untrue because I was the guy supposedly that had the conversation. Well, I can tell you this: 100 percent, I did not have the conversation. So that was it.”

But there have at least been signs that the offense is working through some chemistry issues, on and off the field. Holmes was publicly critical of the offensive line and quarterback Mark Sanchez after the Baltimore loss, prompting a team-wide reminder to keep such matters in house. Mason’s role on offense diminished Sunday against the Patriots — he was targeted once, finishing with one catch for 7 yards — in part because he has been slow to pick up the playbook, as reported in today’s Star-Ledger.

Tight end Dustin Keller acknowledged assimilating multiple new faces into a complicated offense is challenging and a work-in-progress.

“I don’t think the chemistry is bad, I just think that altogether we are inconsistent,” Keller said. “We need to be playing more consistent football. When we’re on, I feel like we are really, really on, and there can be times when we are really, really off.”

The season is still young but, on the other hand, the clock is ticking. How the Jets respond now, leading into Monday night’s game against Miami, is critical for their season.

“This is our opportunity,” said Ryan, who added he did not anticipate any lineup changes this week.

“We have been resilient in the past, and we’ve overcome some things, and I think we will overcome it now.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Jets benched Mason benched for performance, not comments

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:47 AM, October 11, 2011

Posted: 2:57 AM, October 11, 2011

Rex Ryan predicted Derrick Mason would catch 90-100 passes this season. Now, the veteran Jets receiver can barely catch one per game.

Mason played sparingly Sunday against the Patriots, replaced by rookie Jeremy Kerley as the team’s No. 3 receiver. Ryan would not get into specifics about the decision yesterday but hinted it had to do with Mason’s play early this season.

“Let’s face it, I thought Derrick would catch 80-90 balls. OK, that hasn’t happened,” the head coach said.

Ryan denied a report that said Mason was benched because of his critical postgame comments last week in Baltimore.

“I had a conversation with Derrick, and the reason he didn’t play as much had absolutely nothing to do with a conversation [he had with the media]. You guys know I have an open policy with the media. I don’t put a muzzle on anybody.”

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

Ryan said Mason, who has 13 catches for 115 yards, could have his role increased in future games.

“Derrick’s going to still be a part of what we do,” he said.

Ryan supported offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who has been a target of fans and critics. He said he feels “great” about Schottenheimer.

“We’re fortunate to have Brian coaching with us,” Ryan said. “That whole [offensive assistant coaching] group is an excellent staff. We’ll get this thing righted. We made strides.”

Ryan repeated that a published report which said receivers Mason, Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress complained to him about Schottenheimer was false.

“The great thing is with that one I can guarantee you it was untrue because I was the guy supposedly that had the conversations,” Ryan said. “I can tell you this 100 percent: I did not have the conversations. That was it.”

Tight end Dustin Keller had one catch against the Patriots, and was targeted twice. Keller said New England double-teamed him frequently.

“They clearly didn’t want me to get the ball in my hands,” said Keller, who leads the team with 19 catches. “That’s something we knew going into the game. It’s something I’m going to have to deal with. Once you see something like that you can expect to see it the rest of the season.”

CB Isaiah Trufant has a pulled hamstring, according to Ryan. The Jets did not say whether CB Donald Strickland suffered a concussion, but he left Sunday’s game with a head injury. . . . Ryan on the play initially ruled a fumble by Deion Branch and then overturned: “It doesn’t matter what I think.” . . . Center Nick Mangold (high right ankle sprain) said he felt good after his first game in three weeks. He threw out an idea to spark the Jets offense: “Put [guard] Brandon Moore back there and let him be ‘The Fridge’ and let him run around. Whatever it takes to win games.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ryan_mason_benched_for_play_not_4488iWwmHFJuvGiUS0iJeI#ixzz1aTi3du74

Ryan even reiterated his support of Schottenheimer, saying he feels "great" about him.

This sure as hell just better be the company line and nothing more. That standard denial every team gives right before they sh*tcan someone. Because if Schotty is still the Jets OC come opening day 2012, I'll be absolutely done with Rex.

Jets confident they can overcome slide

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:56 AM, October 11, 2011

Posted: 2:56 AM, October 11, 2011

The Jets have gone from cocky to crisis in less than a month.

Three consecutive defeats have the Jets teetering on the edge of complete collapse, but coach Rex Ryan still believes in his team.

“I don’t see us losing our confidence,” he said yesterday. “I think maybe people outside of that [locker] room are going to lose confidence. We’re not. I’m confident in the fact that I see signs of us getting better. We have to, obviously.”

A day after their 30-21 loss to the Patriots, Ryan fielded a variety of questions on his team’s mental state and possible chemistry problems. The Jets had failures on both sides of the ball in New England, after the defense and offense alternated poor performances in the two previous weeks. +

The three-game skid is the first for the Jets since 2009, Ryan’s first year with the team.

SURE, REX: Rex Ryan, barking out orders during Sunday’s loss to the Patriots, isn’t about to doubt his team, even in the wake of three straight losses. “I’m confident in the fact that I see signs of us getting better,” he said.

“Each team is going to have to deal with adversity and this is our opportunity,” Ryan said. “We’ve been resilient in the past and we’ve overcome some things, and I think we’ll overcome it now.”

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

All eyes will be on the Jets as they prepare to face the winless Dolphins, a Monday night game that suddenly feels like a must-win for the Jets. Players admit they are frustrated with their 2-3 record, but swear there is no locker-room revolution brewing.

“You look at a three-game losing streak and things could for a lot of teams fall apart, but not with this team,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “We’re a real tight-knit group. Everybody has each other’s back. We know we haven’t played our best football.”

That is undeniable. Ryan spent yesterday watching video of the Patriots game and then trying to explain what went wrong on both sides of the ball. The offense had seven three-and-outs on 11 possessions, and the defense committed horrible penalties, failed to get a stop in the fourth quarter, and gave up a few big plays.

Ryan attributed the mistakes to “alignment, assignment and technique.” Without getting specific, he said the Jets had several breakdowns in those three areas that helped the Patriots — a team that needs no help, he pointed out.

Safety Eric Smith was victimized on Wes Welker’s 73-yard catch to start the second half. Smith said some players are trying to do too much.

“It is a little surprising because we know everybody on our team can do their job and take care of their responsibilities,” he said. “I think we have some guys that may try to do some other things outside their job and it might end up leading to some bigger plays or bigger gains than they should be.”

On offense, the Jets were criticized for trying to re-establish their run game against the Patriots, who entered the game dead last against the pass. But Ryan said the plan was to keep the ball out of Tom Brady’s hands.

“We were running the ball not just because it helps our offense, but it helps our football team,” Ryan said.

That plan didn’t work because the Jets failed to get a first down in the first quarter, and the Patriots grabbed a 10-0 lead.

Another problem for the Jets was penalties. They committed eight, four that gave the Patriots a first down. On offense they took themselves out of manageable distances for first downs with penalties and also had a rash of dropped passes.

“It’s just mental mistakes that are killing us,” center Nick Mangold said. “You have 10 guys doing the right thing and one guy who’s not. That ruins a play. If we can clean those up I think we’re right there where we want to be.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/still_believing_rex_gang_promises_kGa1sXihjfg7qw40NYhQQI#ixzz1aTkfAM5K

Former Jets player Jenkins says Super Bowl out of question

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 9:02 AM, October 11, 2011

For long-suffering Jets fans, this has become just another recurring Bad Dream Team.

What separates this Bad Dream Team from all the others is this one talks a better game than it plays.

This Bad Dream Team, bracing for what could be a crash landing Monday night at JetLife-or-Death Stadium against the horrendous Dolphins, is clearly not as good as it thinks it is.

And now, after watching the demise of the Road Warriors, breakdowns in mental and physical toughness on both sides of the ball and a loss of what the identity of a Rex Ryan team is supposed to be and whether it is built to survive in an NFL built more for quarterback, after listening to urgent calls for unity from within, the following question needs to be asked:

LAY IT ON THE LINE: If the Jets offensive line is going to keep making Mark Sanchez get off the turf, Gang Green will struggle to even make the playoffs, former nose tackle Kris Jenkins says.

LAY IT ON THE LINE: If the Jets offensive line is going to keep making Mark Sanchez get off the turf, Gang Green will struggle to even make the playoffs, former nose tackle Kris Jenkins says.

Are they good enough?

Are they good enough to be a championship team?

Absolutely not, no,” former Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins told The Post.

“Super Bowl? No way.

“I think they can make the playoffs, if they get it together. I don’t think that’s gonna be an easy task this year?

“I really think this is a rebuilding year.”

Why would he say that?

“They’re struggling at offensive and defensive line,” he said. “You can’t do anything unless you have the offensive and defensive line to get it done.”

Not to mention the offensive coordinator.

“That last drive [Mark] Sanchez had? He looked like he was Aaron Rodgers,” Jenkins said. “So I’m really starting to guess that it’s the scheme.”

Jenkins, now an SNY analyst, pointed out that Brian Schottenheimer has been the offensive coordinator under both Eric Mangini and Ryan. Once Dustin Keller was doubled and taken out of Sunday's game, there should have been more opportunities for Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress, if not Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson — or Joe McKnight — out of the backfield.

“Nobody’s really looking at the scheme, and the thing that’s been consistent is Schotty,” he said.

“It’s that inconsistency thing.

“I think Schotty’s on the hot seat right now.”

Does he deserve to be?

“It’s all about getting results,” Jenkins said. “With all the weapons he has over there, he should be getting results and he’s not. We’re too far into the season now for the timing to still be off.”

Then there is the coddling of Sanchez, on and off the field.

Off the field: “They might as well put one of the PR guys in a chair and put a Sanchez mask on him and let him talk,” Jenkins said. “He’s not showing any individuality. The only time you see any spark is when he’s doing commercials or something. . . . It’s not cool when they’re telling you every five seconds, ‘We need you to do this, we need you to say this.’ They have to trust in the person they invested in.”

On the field, Jenkins wants to see less of a robot and even more play-calling responsibility on the Sanchise’s shoulders.

“When they sign these contracts, they’re paid to do their job as men,” Jenkins said. “If they’re treated as children, how do you expect him to play like a driven man? They need to stop handling Sanchez. They need to let Sanchez make it happen and then see where it goes from there. Give him more freedom to make play calls. He sees what’s going on. Take the training wheels off him. Let the boy grow up and be a man.”

Then there is the deterioration of the defense.

“I think they’re missing Bryan Thomas,” Jenkins said, referring to the veteran linebacker who tore his left Achilles tendon against the Ravens and is done for the season. “[The Patriots] picked on Muhammad Wilkerson and they kinda ran at him some. They’re not running up the middle. They’re running on the edge.”

It leaves you to ask: Who are these guys?

Who hijacked the Rex Ryan Jets?

If Tony Romo doesn’t throw one to Darrelle Revis on 9/11 night, the Jets could very well be 1-4 and the AFC’s version of the Dream Team Eagles.

The schedule is conveniently forgiving. And Ryan, for whatever it’s worth, has yet to lose four in a row.

But if he doesn’t fix it, and fix it now, he will be ridiculed as the coach who cried wolf.

And if he does not fix it, and fix it now, he will become as relevant as a Tyranosaurus Rex.

Jenkins thinks the Jets can reload for next season. But this season, Jets fans?

No Supe for you.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jenkins_super_bowl_out_of_the_question_S5yuOPKTL9LcEVKKJU367H#ixzz1aTlo13Rs

Northjersey.com : Sports : Pro Sports : Pro Football : Jets

Rex Ryan says Jets are at ‘critical’ point

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Rex Ryan loves making predictions, especially ones with the words Super Bowl in them. But it’s doubtful he could have foreseen something he said Monday.

Speaking about the Jets’ upcoming Monday night game against visiting and winless Miami, Ryan said, "This is a critical game for us."

But the sad thing for the Jets is that he’s absolutely right. A three-game losing streak has been bad enough, but a four-game skid capped by a loss to the floundering Dolphins would be reason for full-scale panic.

Still, this is as much adversity as the Jets have faced since Ryan’s rookie season as head coach.

And as he again reminded reporters while speaking at the Jets’ Florham Park complex, the 2009 Jets are the only team to overcome two three-game losing streaks during a season and reach the playoffs.

Then again, this is a different season and a different team — one that was supposed to be beyond the inconsistency the Jets (2-3) have displayed in 2011. The freefall especially has been galling for Ryan in that so much of it can be laid at the feet of the offensive line and the defensive front seven.

Consider that the Jets managed 97 yards rushing in their 30-21 loss at New England on Sunday, and Ryan looked at that as encouraging. And actually, it was, compared to what the Jets had been doing on the ground, as Shonn Greene’s 83 yards marked his best game this season.

"You’re not going to beat many teams when you have seven three-and-outs," Ryan said of the Jets’ offense against the Patriots. "But we did some good things."

Ryan also put aside his penchant for prop comedy in his news conferences and instead focused on the stuff most of the boring NFL coaches talk about, saying that for the Jets to get turned around, it "comes down to alignment, assignment and technique, across the board. Whether it’s offense, defense, whatever it is, it is as simple as that.

"It’s alignment, assignment and technique," Ryan repeated. "That’s where it starts. Give yourself a chance physically to make a play."

Defensively, it wasn’t surprising that Tom Brady topped the 300-yard passing mark Sunday. But what was more frustrating for the Jets, and somewhat unexpected, was that BenJarvus Green-Ellis had a career-high 136 yards rushing and had several key runs on New England’s drive to a clinching field goal.

In "defending the run," Ryan said, "everything you do starts with alignment, assignment and technique and we have to be 100 percent on those things. … [Green-Ellis] breaks some tackles, but there were some things where I thought we could have gotten down to support the run a little faster than we did. Quite honestly, we blew an assignment on a big gain that they had."

"There’s a lot of things I could have done to be more effective," nose tackle Sione Pouha said, speaking on a conference call. Ryan gave the players the day off, although tight end Dustin Keller said many came in anyway.

"I need to do a better job of what I’m doing," Pouha added. "I think every single man on this defense is going to take the same approach and make sure there’s no stone unturned."

Ryan again vehemently denied a published report that wide receivers Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason had complained to him individually about offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, and said Mason’s lack of playing time Sunday had "absolutely nothing to do" with comments he had made after the Baltimore game.

"Derrick is still going to be a part of what we" do, Ryan said.

As for his team’s psyche, Ryan said, "I don’t see us losing our confidence. I think maybe people outside of that [locker] room are going to lose confidence. We’re not."

BRIEFS: Ryan was asked if QB Mark Sanchez had any further tests on his throwing hand after hitting it on a helmet during a follow-through Sunday. "Not that I’m aware of," Ryan said. He also indicated CB Donald Strickland’s head injury could be a concussion and that CB Isaiah Trufant has a pulled hamstring.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Jets report card: Week 5

The Record

Rushing offense: B-minus

Baby steps for the Jets, as Shonn Greene had his best game of the season, yet neither he nor the team reached 100 yards. Greene finished with 83 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries as the running game did improve with C Nick Mangold back in the trenches after missing two games with a high ankle sprain. Mangold's excellent block of LB Brandon Spikes on Greene's 3-yard TD was a visible reminder of what the three-time Pro Bowler means to the Jets.

Passing offense: B-minus

Mark Sanchez's numbers look good, but the truth is this phase of the offense wasn't as good as it should have been against a Pats defense that entered Sunday ranked 32nd in the NFL versus the pass. Sanchez was sacked only twice (including the last play of the game), threw for two touchdowns, had his first turnover-free game of the season and recorded a 105.6 passer rating, but his longest completion was for only 22 yards. Rookie Jeremy Kerley caught his first pro TD; he was in because veteran Derrick Mason was benched for much of the game.

Rushing defense: D-plus

No, it wasn't quite as bad as the no-show in Oakland, but it wasn't good. BenJarvus Green-Ellis had the best day of his career with 136 yards and two touchdowns on 27 carries, and his 14-yard third-down run with a direct snap in the fourth quarter helped New England ice the game. On that play and several others, he gained yardage to the outside as the Jets had trouble setting the edges, just as they did against Darren McFadden and the Raiders.

Passing defense: C-minus

Tom Brady's rating was 100.7, and that includes an interception that wasn't his fault as TE Aaron Hernandez (five receptions) botched a sure TD that ended up in the hands of CB Antonio Cromartie. However, Cromartie gave the blown TD back on the next possession, when he lost track of Deion Branch in the end zone on Branch's 2-yard score. CB Darrelle Revis often was on Wes Welker, but Welker and Brady picked their spots when he wasn't, and Welker's 73-yard catch-and-run against S Eric Smith was huge.

Special teams: B-plus

There shouldn't be any more questions about whether Joe McKnight should be the primary kickoff returner as he followed up his TD return at Baltimore with a 39.6-yard average on five returns, including an 88-yarder that led to a TD. The punt coverage teams had a tough day against Welker, who averaged 13.5 yards. Nick Bellore's late hit on Welker after a 17-yard run helped set up a Pats FG.

Coaching: B-minus

Rex Ryan did a good job of getting the Jets prepared emotionally after the shattering loss at Baltimore, and they played one of their better games this season. But his insistence on having offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer stress the running game may have cost the Jets some chances to exploit New England's weak pass defense. Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine were unable to befuddle Brady like they did during the Jets' shocking playoff win last January, as the Pats' improved running game thwarted the Jets' schemes.

— J.P. Pelzman

Former Jets player Jenkins says Super Bowl out of question

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 9:02 AM, October 11, 2011

For long-suffering Jets fans, this has become just another recurring Bad Dream Team.

What separates this Bad Dream Team from all the others is this one talks a better game than it plays.

This Bad Dream Team, bracing for what could be a crash landing Monday night at JetLife-or-Death Stadium against the horrendous Dolphins, is clearly not as good as it thinks it is.

And now, after watching the demise of the Road Warriors, breakdowns in mental and physical toughness on both sides of the ball and a loss of what the identity of a Rex Ryan team is supposed to be and whether it is built to survive in an NFL built more for quarterback, after listening to urgent calls for unity from within, the following question needs to be asked:

Are they good enough?

Are they good enough to be a championship team?

Absolutely not, no,” former Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins told The Post.

“Super Bowl? No way.

“I think they can make the playoffs, if they get it together. I don’t think that’s gonna be an easy task this year?

“I really think this is a rebuilding year.”

Why would he say that?

“They’re struggling at offensive and defensive line,” he said. “You can’t do anything unless you have the offensive and defensive line to get it done.”

Not to mention the offensive coordinator.

“That last drive [Mark] Sanchez had? He looked like he was Aaron Rodgers,” Jenkins said. “So I’m really starting to guess that it’s the scheme.”

Jenkins, now an SNY analyst, pointed out that Brian Schottenheimer has been the offensive coordinator under both Eric Mangini and Ryan. Once Dustin Keller was doubled and taken out of Sunday's game, there should have been more opportunities for Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress, if not Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson — or Joe McKnight — out of the backfield.

“Nobody’s really looking at the scheme, and the thing that’s been consistent is Schotty,” he said.

“It’s that inconsistency thing.

“I think Schotty’s on the hot seat right now.”

Does he deserve to be?

“It’s all about getting results,” Jenkins said. “With all the weapons he has over there, he should be getting results and he’s not. We’re too far into the season now for the timing to still be off.”

Then there is the coddling of Sanchez, on and off the field.

Off the field: “They might as well put one of the PR guys in a chair and put a Sanchez mask on him and let him talk,” Jenkins said. “He’s not showing any individuality. The only time you see any spark is when he’s doing commercials or something. . . . It’s not cool when they’re telling you every five seconds, ‘We need you to do this, we need you to say this.’ They have to trust in the person they invested in.”

On the field, Jenkins wants to see less of a robot and even more play-calling responsibility on the Sanchise’s shoulders.

“When they sign these contracts, they’re paid to do their job as men,” Jenkins said. “If they’re treated as children, how do you expect him to play like a driven man? They need to stop handling Sanchez. They need to let Sanchez make it happen and then see where it goes from there. Give him more freedom to make play calls. He sees what’s going on. Take the training wheels off him. Let the boy grow up and be a man.”

Then there is the deterioration of the defense.

“I think they’re missing Bryan Thomas,” Jenkins said, referring to the veteran linebacker who tore his left Achilles tendon against the Ravens and is done for the season. “[The Patriots] picked on Muhammad Wilkerson and they kinda ran at him some. They’re not running up the middle. They’re running on the edge.”

It leaves you to ask: Who are these guys?

Who hijacked the Rex Ryan Jets?

If Tony Romo doesn’t throw one to Darrelle Revis on 9/11 night, the Jets could very well be 1-4 and the AFC’s version of the Dream Team Eagles.

The schedule is conveniently forgiving. And Ryan, for whatever it’s worth, has yet to lose four in a row.

But if he doesn’t fix it, and fix it now, he will be ridiculed as the coach who cried wolf.

And if he does not fix it, and fix it now, he will become as relevant as a Tyranosaurus Rex.

Jenkins thinks the Jets can reload for next season. But this season, Jets fans?

No Supe for you.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...H#ixzz1aTlo13Rs

Jenkins makes a lot of strong points in this article - he gets it, and you have to believe he makes these statements from an informed point of view. He has seen what goes on behind the scenes with the way Sanchez is "handled" and what has gone on on the sidelines regarding scheme. Its not like he's a total outsider, he had a front row seat that helped him form his perspective.

Jets report card: Week 5

The Record

Rushing offense: B-minus

Baby steps for the Jets, as Shonn Greene had his best game of the season, yet neither he nor the team reached 100 yards. Greene finished with 83 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries as the running game did improve with C Nick Mangold back in the trenches after missing two games with a high ankle sprain. Mangold's excellent block of LB Brandon Spikes on Greene's 3-yard TD was a visible reminder of what the three-time Pro Bowler means to the Jets.

Passing offense: B-minus

Mark Sanchez's numbers look good, but the truth is this phase of the offense wasn't as good as it should have been against a Pats defense that entered Sunday ranked 32nd in the NFL versus the pass. Sanchez was sacked only twice (including the last play of the game), threw for two touchdowns, had his first turnover-free game of the season and recorded a 105.6 passer rating, but his longest completion was for only 22 yards. Rookie Jeremy Kerley caught his first pro TD; he was in because veteran Derrick Mason was benched for much of the game.

Rushing defense: D-plus

No, it wasn't quite as bad as the no-show in Oakland, but it wasn't good. BenJarvus Green-Ellis had the best day of his career with 136 yards and two touchdowns on 27 carries, and his 14-yard third-down run with a direct snap in the fourth quarter helped New England ice the game. On that play and several others, he gained yardage to the outside as the Jets had trouble setting the edges, just as they did against Darren McFadden and the Raiders.

Passing defense: C-minus

Tom Brady's rating was 100.7, and that includes an interception that wasn't his fault as TE Aaron Hernandez (five receptions) botched a sure TD that ended up in the hands of CB Antonio Cromartie. However, Cromartie gave the blown TD back on the next possession, when he lost track of Deion Branch in the end zone on Branch's 2-yard score. CB Darrelle Revis often was on Wes Welker, but Welker and Brady picked their spots when he wasn't, and Welker's 73-yard catch-and-run against S Eric Smith was huge.

Special teams: B-plus

There shouldn't be any more questions about whether Joe McKnight should be the primary kickoff returner as he followed up his TD return at Baltimore with a 39.6-yard average on five returns, including an 88-yarder that led to a TD. The punt coverage teams had a tough day against Welker, who averaged 13.5 yards. Nick Bellore's late hit on Welker after a 17-yard run helped set up a Pats FG.

Coaching: B-minus

Rex Ryan did a good job of getting the Jets prepared emotionally after the shattering loss at Baltimore, and they played one of their better games this season. But his insistence on having offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer stress the running game may have cost the Jets some chances to exploit New England's weak pass defense. Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine were unable to befuddle Brady like they did during the Jets' shocking playoff win last January, as the Pats' improved running game thwarted the Jets' schemes.

— J.P. Pelzman

Pelzman hasn't been paying attention. Revis, to his credit, acknowledged yesterday that the big play was on him. He thought it was going to be a short speedo route, and he had the coverage, and Smith was supposed to have the over. He misread it, until Welker was by him.

He has to back Schotty in the media- will not throw him under the bus publicly.

Ugh, I know... but it just makes me feel sick to my stomach when I read things like that, because we've been hearing it for years from multiple different people and it turns out that every single time they're actually being sincere and really mean it. The fact that Rex kept him on the staff to begin with, not to mention still has him around 2 years later, is enough to worry me that he might be serious.

NY Jets' Derrick Mason hasn't been player Rex Ryan, Gang Green thought they were getting from Ravens

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, October 11th 2011, 4:00 AM

Fueled with optimism when wideout Derrick Mason decided to sign with the Jets during training camp, Rex Ryan, familiar with Mason's abilities from their time together with the Baltimore Ravens, expected the receiver to maintain his productivity of recent years.

"Let's face it, I thought Derrick would catch 80 to 90 balls but that hasn't happened," Ryan said Monday. "I thought we were going to be a little more three wides but in that plan we tightened it up a little bit. And again, each week will be different."

Ryan and his staff reduced Mason's role Sunday against the Patriots, limiting the veteran to playing just six downs. Rookie receiver Jeremy Kerley, limited through the first four games, saw the field for 18 plays and caught a 9-yard touchdown pass. Mason, meanwhile, has caught 13 balls for 115 yards through five games. Mason had one catch for seven yards against the Patriots.

"Derrick is still going to be a part of what we do, but I just thought we could do some things with Kerley and we're excited the way he is out there on the practice field and we'll see going forward," Ryan said.

Mason commented on "cracks" in the offense after the Ravens game in Week 4.

The Daily News also reported Sunday that Mason was one of three receivers who had gone to Ryan to complain about offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

"I can tell you this: It has nothing to do with a conversation he apparently had with the media," Ryan said. "I had a conversation with Derrick and the reason he never played as much had nothing to do with the conversation - we never brought up a conversation he had in the media."

"You guys know we have an open policy with the media, I don't put a muzzle on anybody."

SANCHEZ HAND OK

Ryan said Mark Sanchez suffered no lingering effects on his throwing hand after banging it on the helmet of Patriots lineman Andre Carter in the fourth quarter.

Ryan could not confirm whether safety Donald Strickland's head injury is a concussion or not. Strickland is expected to miss Monday's game against Miami, according to a source.

Isaiah Trufant (hamstring) left the game and Ryan said it "was a good one. That was definitely a legitimate pulled hamstring."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/11/2011-10-11_mason_runs_fade.html#ixzz1aTtPm5P0

Time for NY Jets coach Rex Ryan to take control of offense before things get uglier

Gary Myers

Rex Ryan took an endless victory lap, disguised as a book tour, in the offseason after leading the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship Games in his first two years.

He changed the culture of the team. He became the dominant sports figure in our town with a big mouth and the ability to back up almost everything that came out of it, making him a hero to Jets fans so tired of their team being irrelevant.

Now that the Jets are right there with the Eagles and Falcons as the most disappointing teams in the league, the blame goes right where the credit had gone.

It's on you, Rex. This is your mess and you must find a way to get the Jets out of it.

"This whole team is my responsibility. That's how I look at it," Ryan said Monday. "This has my name on it."

This isn't just about a Ryan defense that can't make the big stop. Or Brian Schottenheimer's offense going through an identity crisis.

It's about a team whose best player has been Joe McKnight, despite being loaded with much bigger names.

Ryan must impose his will on this underachieving team. The Jets never said they were the Dream Team like the Eagles did, but that's certainly how they perceived themselves. Considering the Jets' expectations, this is the biggest crisis they've faced since Brett Favre couldn't stop throwing the ball to the other team at the end of the 2008 season.

"Each team is going to have to deal with adversity," Ryan said Monday. "This is our opportunity."

He must fix the offense, fix the defense and keep the locker room from fracturing, which always happens when high-priced players with large egos are either feeling left out or seeing their opportunity to cash in start to disintegrate.

Ryan's Super Bowl guarantee has left him no wiggle room. Either the Jets bring home the trophy or the season is a failure.

The Jets are 2-3 and riding a three-game losing streak and if they happen to lose Monday night to the winless Dolphins at home for the third straight year, then this season will be on the way to being a washout.

Even though Mark Sanchez was not given the opportunity to open up the passing game against the No. 32-ranked pass defense in New England on Sunday, it's fair to start wondering about his ceiling and whether the coaches trust him.

He has now started 36 regular-season games and six playoff games. He is no longer inexperienced.

But when he's not allowed to throw the ball down the field against the Patriots a week after three of his turnovers - two fumbles, one INT - were returned for TDs by the Ravens pressure defense, it looks as if Ryan has no confidence in his quarterback. The Jets write off their conservative play-calling as a desire to return to their Ground-and-Pound roots.

So much of the focus of the last two losses has been on Schottenheimer. But Ryan is the coach. He is accountable for the offense. He can't just worry about his beloved defense, which hasn't been so loveable this season.

Ryan must become more involved in a now-predictable offense - the Jets actually miss Brad Smith in the Wildcat - rather than just having his meeting Wednesday with Schottenheimer. It goes beyond the gimmicky color-coded wrist bands he made Sanchez wear as a rookie. Ryan should also bring in Tom Moore to be more hands-on. The former Colts offensive coordinator/Peyton Manning mentor is a Jets consultant and received rave reviews for his work in training camp.

Ryan is an elite defensive coach. That should make him an expert on what works against defenses. Still, he has given Schottenheimer complete autonomy. But Ryan needs to stop delegating so much because the won-lost record is attached to him and him only.

"We are fortunate to have Brian coaching with us," Ryan said.

What else is he going to say at this point? Did you expect anything but denials out of the Jets following the Daily News story on Sunday that Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason went over Schottenheimer's head to Ryan to complain about the offensive system?

The Jets grew older at receiver with Burress and Mason replacing Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery, and it shows. Mason has 13 catches and is nowhere near on pace to have the 90-100 receptions that Ryan had predicted. Burress is playing like he is 34 and has been away from the game for two years.

If the Jets are indeed a Super Bowl team, they should have found a way to win at least one or perhaps two games on their three-game road trip to Oakland, Baltimore and New England. The Patriots lost a couple of weeks ago in Buffalo when Tom Brady threw four interceptions, but then went to Oakland a week after the Jets lost in the Black Hole and beat the Raiders. And then beat the Jets.

"We're 2-3 right now. That's when you get stronger," Ryan said. "That's when you come in together and you build that character. This is a resilient bunch. I believe in this football team. We may get beat, but we're not going to get beat because we don't believe in each other or we're coming apart at the seams."

Ryan has proven to be good at taking a victory lap. Now we find out how he does putting the pieces of a broken team back together.

gmyers@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/11/2011-10-11_rexs_time_to_take_offense.html#ixzz1aTuh9p49

Rex Ryan and NY Jets prepare for winless Miami Dolphins, hoping to snap three-game losing streak

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

On the day after Rex Ryan watched his team's dismal start devolve into a three-game losing streak, he arrived at his press conference, scheduled for 2 p.m., four minutes late. He apologized and explained that he had been locked out of the room. Asked if he felt it was a subliminal message from the organization, Ryan let out an uncertain laugh.

"I don't know," he said.

Little has been answered by the players or coaches of late. In losing three games - all to AFC opponents - the 2-3 Jets limped home and arrived at the team's facility to lift weights, run sprints and review the 30-21 loss to the Patriots. They will have extra time this week to decipher what can be fixed and what remains fractured as they prepare for Monday night's game against the winless

Miami Dolphins.

"I don't see us losing our confidence," Ryan said Monday. "I think maybe people outside of that room are going to lose confidence. We're not.

"I'm confident in the fact that I see signs of us getting better."

Recovery will require more than an upbeat attitude. Big plays by opposing offenses bookended the three-game Road to Perdition as Patriots wideout Wes Welker went 73 yards on a catch up the middle on the second half's opening play from scrimmage. It was a devastating blow tantamount to Raiders running back Darren McFadden's 70-yard rush in Week 3. Ryan acknowledged the need to close the holes.

"We put together a lot better football team and a group of characters than that," he said. "We're 2-3 right now. That's when you get stronger; that's when you come in together and you build that character. This is a resilient bunch, I'm telling you. We'll see."

Offensive coordinator Brain Schottenheimer remains in the crosshairs as his unit's futility continues.

On Sunday, the Daily News reported that wideouts Derrick Mason, Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress individually approached Ryan about the sputtering offense. Ryan denied those meetings took place, and reiterated his support for Schottenheimer.

"I feel great. We're fortunate to have Brian," Ryan said. "That whole group is excellent staff. ... We made strides."

Center Nick Mangold offered levity to the debate on what approach would allow the Jets' offense the best opportunity to gain momentum.

He declared that he did not care whether it was throwing or running repeated quarterback sneaks up the field. He went so far as to suggest right guard Brandon Moore be given the ball on handoffs.

"Let him do the 'Refrigerator,'" Mangold said, referring to former Chicago Bears lineman William Perry.

Ryan called the upcoming Miami contest a "critical game." He does not anticipate lineup changes, but knows a boost must come from somewhere on the roster.

"I believe in this football team," Ryan said.

"We may get beat, but we're not going to get beat because we don't believe in each other or we're coming apart at the seams. That's not who we are."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/11/2011-10-11_for_ryan_its_turning_inside_out.html#ixzz1aTxLCpmd

Morning take: Must-win for Jets

October, 11, 2011

Oct 11

7:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Tuesday in the AFC East:

New York Jets (2-3) coach Rex Ryan says Monday's game against the struggling Miami Dolphins (0-4) is a must-win.

Morning take: Ryan is correct. The Jets have to win this game to remain in contention. Frankly, if the Jets can't beat the winless Dolphins at home this year, they don't deserve to be a playoff team.

Are the New England Patriots (4-1) tougher than the Jets?

Morning take: I don't know who's tougher, but the Patriots are definitely better. That's all that matters.

The offensive line needs to improve for the Dolphins to turn their season around.

Morning take: Behind most bad records is a struggling offensive line. Miami put a lot of money into this group and is not getting enough of a return on its investment.

Buffalo Bills starting receiver Donald Jones will be out at least a month with a high-ankle sprain.

Morning take: Jones was Buffalo's best deep threat. The team will have to adjust. Versatile Brad Smith could see more time at receiver in the coming weeks.

Jenkins makes a lot of strong points in this article - he gets it, and you have to believe he makes these statements from an informed point of view. He has seen what goes on behind the scenes with the way Sanchez is "handled" and what has gone on on the sidelines regarding scheme. Its not like he's a total outsider, he had a front row seat that helped him form his perspective.

Yeah, it really tells you something when you've got not just a former player, but a former player one year removed from this same team with most of the same players and the same coaching staff saying these kinds of things. It's one thing for us fans to bitch and moan about Schotty and think he's causing this team all these different problems, but when a guy who spent 3 years in the same lockerroom as the guy starts saying it, that really speaks volumes.

Rex Ryan: Jets ‘Fortunate’ To Have Brian Schottenheimer On Staff

October 11, 2011 9:54 AMNEW YORK (WFAN) — Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is no stranger to the hot seat.

Schottenheimer’s system is again under fire after New York’s sluggish start, not to mention a report in the New York Daily News that claims several players have individually complained to coach Rex Ryan about his offense.

Through all of it, Ryan is keeping the faith.

“I feel great,” Ryan said on Monday. “We’re fortunate to have Brian coaching with us. I look at that entire offensive staff … that whole group is an excellent staff. We’ll get this thing righted.”

According to the Daily News, receivers Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason have each gone to Ryan to sound off on Schottenheimer’s play calling.

The Jets issued a statement denying the report on Sunday. Ryan and the players involved also vehemently denied it after their 30-21 loss to New England.

On Monday, Ryan reiterated his point.

“I said it was untrue, because it was untrue,” he said. “The great thing is, with that one, I can guarantee it was untrue because I was the guy supposedly that had the conversation. Well, I can tell you this: 100 percent, I did not have the conversation. So that was it.”

But the whole hubbub has many wondering if the chemistry in the Jets’ locker room is a little off.

“I don’t think the chemistry is bad, I just think that altogether we are inconsistent,” said tight end Dustin Keller. “We need to be playing more consistent football. When we’re on, I feel like we are really, really on, and there can be times when we are really, really off.”

“This team is not going to (break) just because we’re 2-3 right now,” said Ryan. “That’s when you get stronger. That’s when you come in together and you build character. This is a resilient bunch. I’m telling you, we’ll see. I believe in this football team.”

Crisis Of Confidence? Not For Rex’s Struggling Jets

October 11, 2011 9:49 AM

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – Rex Ryan and the Jets are searching for their swagger. But don’t mistake it for a lack of confidence.

The jokes aren’t flying from the coach as they did in his first two seasons, and the juicy sound bites might be a bit toned down and not as frequent. Suddenly, the NFL’s biggest bunch of chatterboxes is strangely silent.

A losing record and a humbling three-game road skid can do that to even the loudest of teams.

“It’s a 100-percent fact that each team is going to have to deal with adversity,” Ryan said Monday.

“And this is our opportunity.”

The Jets (2-3) are coming off a 30-21 loss to the rival Patriots, a game that left many players searching for silver linings and encouraging moments. All that Super Bowl stuff and the big, brash talk? That’s for another time. It’s now all about their must-win matchup – yes, even this early in the season – with the winless Miami Dolphins next Monday night.

“There can be a lot of titles for this game,” nose tackle Sione Pouha said. “But for us, it’s the next game and a game we’ve got to win.”

Ryan and the players are saying all the right things, at least publicly, and using all the cliches in the book to try to convince everyone that this team is not on the verge of falling apart. In a quick but light moment, Ryan opened his news conference by saying he was a couple of minutes late because he was locked out of one of the facility’s doors and jokingly wondered if it was some sort of message.

That’s the Rex Ryan most are used to seeing in the daily 20-minute yuck fests disguised as news conferences.

There just hasn’t been a lot to laugh about so far this season, between the defensive lapses, sloppy plays, poor performances by quarterback Mark Sanchez and inconsistent game plans on offense.

There was even a report – which the team, Ryan and players supposedly involved vehemently denied – that the wide receivers are unhappy with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Ryan even reiterated his support of Schottenheimer, saying he feels “great” about him.

But it all has many wondering if the Jets’ locker room is one more loss away from being an extremely uncomfortable place to be.

“This team is not going to (break) just because we’re 2-3 right now,” Ryan said. “That’s when you get stronger. That’s when you come in together and you build character. This is a resilient bunch. I’m telling you, we’ll see. I believe in this football team.”

That might be because Ryan and the Jets have been in this position before. In fact, New York has gone through difficult stretches in each of Ryan’s first two seasons only to rebound in the end and make it to the AFC championship game both times.

“We’re a team that’s built to keep on swinging,” Pouha said, “no matter what the situation or circumstances might be.”

In Ryan’s first season, as he has often reminded everyone during the last few weeks, the Jets had not one but two three-game losing streaks and became the first team to make the playoffs under those circumstances.

Last season, the Jets constantly dealt with off-field issues – filming “Hard Knocks,” the treatment of a female television reporter, Braylon Edwards’ drunken-driving arrest – and lost three of their last five games before rolling through the playoffs.

“Our confidence isn’t down,” tight end Dustin Keller insisted. “We’re still very confident in our abilities. We have a lot more we can bring to the table. Everything hasn’t been great the past three games, but we’re going to get it right. … We’ve been in a spot like this before and turned it around.”

Entering this season, though, Ryan talked about how the Jets needed to take a different path to the postseason. They need to knock off the Patriots, he said during training camp, and win the AFC East so they can host a few playoff games instead of being on the road throughout as they have the last two years.

The Jets are now already two games behind both the Patriots and Buffalo Bills, and must get better in a hurry. That goes for Ryan’s vaunted defense, which has allowed career rushing days by Oakland’s Darren McFadden and New England’s BenJarvus Green-Ellis in the last three weeks. It goes for the offensive line, which looked better Sunday with the return of center Nick Mangold from injury, but needs to protect Sanchez better and help the running game. It also goes for Sanchez, who hasn’t yet taken the expected leap in his third season but has also been battered by critics and defenses.

“I think the only way to grind yourself out of this, the hole we put ourselves in,” Mangold said, “is by working. I think that’s the mindset we have to take moving forward.”

Safety Eric Smith acknowledged that “everyone is frustrated” by the way the Jets have been playing, and suggested that some players have strayed from their roles on defense. Ryan said it’s all a matter of getting back to basics.

“Everything you do starts with alignment, assignment and technique,” Ryan said. “And we have to be 100 percent on those things.”

Sounds simple enough, although the Jets know it’s far from easy. Winning can bring the laughs again, and it all starts with the coach.

“I don’t see us losing our confidence,” Ryan said. “I think maybe people outside of that room are going to lose confidence. We’re not. I’m confident in the fact that I see signs of us getting better. We have to, obviously. This is a critical game for us Monday night, and that’s where our focus is going to be.”

Rex's Monday News Conference

By Jets Media Relations Department

Posted 40 minutes ago

Transcript of head coach Rex Ryan's news conference Monday afternoon at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center:

First off, I would have been here on time but I got locked out [laughter]. When you look at the tape, and I had a pretty good idea what it looked like last night, the same thing today. Our big thing is improvements can come in two different ways. Either you improve by changing what you are doing, or you get better at what you are doing. When I look at it, there is a lot of room for improvement. It comes down to alignment, assignment and technique. Across the board. Whether it’s offense, defense, whatever it is, it is a simple as that.

They do a nice job with their offense. They run the football, they’re throwing it — that’s a prolific offense, there is no question about it. But we don’t have to help them. There were some things that we did to help them. We have to get better at that. We play them in a month, and we’ll see how we improve. Certainly that’s an area where we don’t need to help them. Defending the run, everything you do starts with alignment, assignment and technique and we have to be 100 percent on those things. First play of the game, we got our quarterback hit because we blow an assignment. There are certain things, our technique, sometimes that happens with a young team, but we can’t be young. I don’t care if you’re a young player, a new guy, whatever, we have to get better.

I also talk about in this league there is a 100 percent injury rate, 100 percent of the players that play in this league will be injured at some point. It’s also 100 percent fact that each team is going to have to deal with adversity and this is our opportunity. We’ve been resilient in the past and we’ve overcome some things, and I think we’ll overcome it now. We play Miami on a Monday Night, where quite honestly we haven’t done well against Miami at home. The two years that I have been here, they beat us both times, I think they’ve had 130 total yards of offense in each of those games and we got beat in both of those games. That’s a credit to them, they found ways to beat us here. We have to change that tide.

On if they are focusing on getting better at what they do or changing what they do…

We’ll certainly look at everything, but I think it starts with getting better at the things that we do.

Right down from everything, the alignment, the assignment and the technique. We’ll definitely hit the practice field with that mission.

On what was more concerning, the inability to defend the run or the inability of the offense to get things going…

When you look at it, we had some critical drops, I think, which kind of hurt that production on third down. I meet with the coordinators every week on Wednesday and we go over what we need to do to be successful as a team, not just a unit but as a team. For us, we have a good defense, there’s no question about it, but against New England, you have to limit their possessions. When you look at the numbers converting on third down, the seven three-and-outs, you’re not going to beat many teams when you have seven three-and-outs.

But we did some good things. When you look at it, we were in position, but we have to come up with it, whether it’s a catch, whatever it is. We have to find ways to possess the ball. If we did, I think that really would have helped us, because we’re a team that when you run the football, sometimes it doesn’t pay off initially at the beginning of the game, but as the game progresses, you get better and better at it.

On why he said he was encouraged after a loss…

I’m just telling the truth. I was encouraged by some of the things we saw offensively and on defense.

That team right there is on pace to break all kinds of records. Yet we were there. We know we can stop them. At the end of the game, the thing that was disappointing was that we didn’t get off the field. That was the biggest thing.

Did we know it was going to be tough to go against them? Absolutely. When we beat them in the playoffs, they still racked up a bunch of yards and things. You’ve got to get off the field against them and that was the difference in the game. They were able to keep possessing the ball, converted some third downs and also kept some drives going, where we kind of stalled on third down.

On if he would take the scenario of being down by six points with seven minutes to play and his defense on the field…

With three timeouts? Absolutely.

On how frustrating it was that New England was able to run out the clock late in the game by running the ball…

The only thing is, with that team, you’re not 100 percent sure you expect them to run. If you stack them all up there, then he has a chance to burn you, like he has everybody. It’s still a cat-and-mouse game at that time. It’s easy to look back and say, “Well, you should have expected run.” Well, with New England, really? Is that what you’re going to think? You kind of have to pick your poison against them. They executed, out-executed us at a critical time.

On what he took away from watching the video of that particular drive…

That’s hard to watch, no doubt about it. Again, it’s alignment, assignment and technique. That’s where it starts. Give yourself a chance physically to make a play.

On if the defense had chances to stop BenJarvus Green-Ellis in the backfield on the last drive and not being able to…

Maybe a few of those there were, but the guy breaks tackles. He’s a good back, he breaks some tackles. But there were some things where I thought we could have gotten down to support the run a little faster than we did. Quite honestly, we blew an assignment on a big gain that they had. Those are things that we can do ourselves to get better. You keep striving for it, and no game is perfect, but you have to eliminate all those mental mistakes, technical mistakes, and that’s coaching. I think that’s where it comes back to all of us, but we’ll strive to get better at it.

On if the blown assignment was on the direct snap…

There was something where we could’ve played it a lot better than we played it. Let me just put it to you that way, but that was not the play I’m talking about.

On how he is keeping the team united during this losing streak…

I think, number one, it’s right there in front of us, so we have to get better, obviously, starting this week, and that’s where your focus is. Then you worry about the next day and the next day. We put together a lot better football team and group of characters than that. This team is not going [to break] just because we’re 2-3 right now. That’s when you get stronger. That’s when you come in together and you build that character. This is a resilient bunch. I’m telling you, we’ll see. I believe in this football team. We may get beat, but we’re not going to get beat because we don’t believe in each other or we’re coming apart at the seams. That’s not who we are.

On if he is considering becoming more involved with the offense…

his whole team is my responsibility, so that’s how I look at it. I’m not there saying, "Hey, you need to run this" or "You need to run that," but I’m here for this whole football team. This has my name on it.

That’s like when you look at this game, yes, we ran the ball more, but the big picture was that we were running the ball more, not just because it helps our offense, but it helps our football team.

Granted, did we miss a few things? We had some penalties at some bad times where, defensively, we could’ve been off the field, but we gave them opportunities to extend drives. Same thing, we had a second-and-1 and we jump. Those are things that we have to get better at, and those are things that I think we can fix.

On how he to address the team’s problem with penalties…

Well, you know us. We come up with creative ways to do it. And if we have to start doing the pushups again and all that stuff, then maybe that’s what we’ll do. We had our whole building doing it last year.

On what he draws on to approach these types of situations…

You rely on your past experiences. We can go back, and I said it before, that we’re the only team in the history of the National Football League to make it to the playoffs and overcome two three-game losing streaks. So unfortunately, we’ve had the experience, but we know how to get out of it. And that’s just to go at it and have that resolve and work at it, and we can come through this again.

On if he draws on the two three-game losing streaks in 2009…

Absolutely. I absolutely do.

On his level of confidence in offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer…

I feel great. We’re fortunate to have Brian coaching with us. And I look at that entire offensive staff with Bill Callahan, Henry Ellard, Anthony Lynn, Mike Devlin. That whole group is an excellent staff, and we’ll get this thing righted. I think we made strides. It might not be statistically that you see it and because we didn’t do a great job on third down, but I think we were making strides.

On if the offense is still searching for its identity…

What’s the identity of the New England Patriots? They throw the ball all over the place, right? Well, they ran the ball, they’re more balanced now. We’d like to be balanced. I think every team in this league would like to be balanced.

On Derrick Mason not playing as much as usual…

Well, for the most part, we talked about [Jeremy] Kerley. How many plays did Kerley play on offense yesterday? Eighteen plays, OK. So we knew going into it that regular personnel was going to be a bigger group, as was two tight ends, two backs. We call it “U”. But those things were going to be bigger parts of the plan.

But it’s also a thing where I wanted to get Kerley involved more, and when you look at it, he was targeted three times with three catches. Derrick was targeted once with one catch. Derrick’s going to still be a part of what we do, I just thought we can do some things with Kerley. I think we’re excited, the way he’s out there on the practice field, and we’ll see going forward.

On if he is pleased with Mason…

Well, guys, let’s face it. I thought Derrick would catch 80, 90 balls. That hasn’t happened. I think we were going to be more three wides, but in that particular plan we tightened it up a little bit. Again, each week is going to be different. I’ll tell you this, it had nothing to do with a conversation that he had with the media. I had a conversation with Derrick, and the reason he never played as much had absolutely nothing to do with the conversation he had with [the media]. We never brought it up, about a conversation he had in the media. You guys know I have an open policy with the media. I don’t put a muzzle on anybody.

On if he felt the need to address the media report regarding Schottenheimer even though he denied it publicly...

I said it was untrue because it was untrue. The great thing is, with that one, I can guarantee you it was untrue because I was the guy supposedly that had the conversations. Well, I can tell you this, 100 percent, I did not have the conversations. So that was it.

On how he can tell this team is resilient as opposed to there being deeper problems…

I’ll just base things on past experiences. I think this locker room is closer than what we’re giving it credit for.

On how he can tell his players will be resilient on the field…

I guess we get to prove it. That’s the beauty of it, we get to prove it. So far, we’ve earned the record

we have. There’s no question about it. 2-3, we’ve earned that.

On if he takes it personally when the defense gives up a lot of yards…

Whether they had 500 yards or 443 yards or whatever it is, I don’t like to give up a yard. That’s how I’m built or whatever. But again, I recognize the fact that we’re playing against a pretty good offense and you have to limit their possessions. That’s one of the things you have to do if you’re going to stop them. When we’ve beaten them in the past, that’s what we’ve done effectively. We’ve limited their possessions.

On giving up big plays over the middle of the field…

We gave up the big 70-yard run to Oakland and we gave up the 73-yard pass there. We were just playing zone coverage at that time. We should have, obviously, had somebody on top of that.

On if Mark Sanchez needed any tests done on his hand…

No, not that I am aware of.

On if Donald Strickland has a concussion…

He has a head injury, I don’t know officially if we’ve heard anything on that.

On any other injuries from the game…

Well, [isaiah] Trufant had a hamstring, and I think he has a good one, too. I don’t know if I heard the hamstring or heard him, but that was a definite pulled hamstring.

On any lineup changes…

We’ll see how it progresses, but I don’t anticipate any lineup changes.

On if Kerley is ahead of Mason on the depth chart…

No, I think each game is different. We’ll see what the plan is each week.

On if the Jets defense had problems setting the edge on defense…

On the one touchdown run, there was a mistake that we made. From a setting-the-edge standpoint from an outside linebacker or defensive end, I don’t think so. There was one glaring when we were in a maximum blitz and we should’ve had a guy out there and didn’t.

On assignment errors on the defense…

On offense and defense.

On if he attributes those errors to a lack of grasping the system…

Well, they should. I think on that zero-blitz one, I thought he was lined up in the wrong gap, should’ve been lined up outside and wasn’t. Again, it’s the communication. The 73-yard one — with that team right there that you’re playing, one mistake, they pick it apart. Brady’s smart. He sees it.

They hit you with it. There might not have been number-wise a ton of mistakes, but there’s enough to get you beat. We gave up, obviously, a touchdown run, and we gave up a huge completion.

On if he felt Deion Branch fumbled the ball after reviewing the video…

It doesn’t matter what I think.

On if this is an important time in order to prevent the team from losing its confidence…

No, I don’t see us losing our confidence. I think maybe people outside of that room are going to lose confidence. We’re not. I’m confident in the fact that I see signs of us getting better. We have to, obviously. This is a critical game for us Monday night. That’s where our focus is going to be. We’re not going to be focused down the road to play New England in a month from now, or whoever. It’s focused on the Miami Dolphins and that’s it.

And I'm not saying we got beat by New England because we’re focusing down the road. That’s not the case. We had a great week of preparation. We just never got it done. They out-executed us. That’s a good football team.

B&C Morning Show: Memo To Jets: Throw The Ball Deep!

October 11, 2011 7:00 AM

Craig has had it with Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer (pictured pointing to his own temple while addressing Mark Sanchez) and his conservative play calling. With that in mind, he gave our intern Joe the assignment of charting Sanchez’s passes for the season.

Before he had the results, Craigie took a quick look for himself and quickly noticed a pattern – short left, short middle, short right – which according to him is not a recipe for success on the football field.

Boomer fully understands that Craig has a tendency to skew facts to prove his argument, so he took a quick gander at some of the upper echelon QBs in the league to see if he noticed a similar pattern.

Lo and behold, he did…

Benigno’s Best: Week 6 NFL Power Rankings

October 11, 2011 10:39 AM

1. Green Bay Packers 5-0 (1)

They spotted the Falcons 14 points on the road and came back to score the next 25. Will this team ever lose a game?

Next: vs. Rams

2. Detroit Lions 5-0 (2)

Nine straight wins. For the first time since 1956, Detroit opens the season 5-0. Bobby Layne was the quarterback then. Hot times in Motown with the Lions roaring and the Tigers in the ALCS.

Next: vs. 49ers

3. New Orleans Saints 4-1 (3)

Drew Brees to Pierre Thomas with 50 seconds left as the Saints get by the Panthers. There are some concerns defensively, but this team can score. A showdown with the Bucs is looming.

Next: @ Bucs

4. Baltimore Ravens 3-1 (4)

The Ravens enjoyed the bye week after their butt kicking of the Jets. A banged up Texans team is next on menu for football’s fiercest defense.

Next: vs. Texans

5. New England Patriots 4-1 (5)

The Patriots gained revenge for last year’s playoff debacle in their beating of the archrival Jets in Foxboro. The defense is still shaky, but it looks like the Pats have discovered the running game in wins over the Raiders and Jets.

Next: vs. Cowboys

6. Buffalo Bills 4-1 (10)

Buffalo’s offense gets the headlines but their defense has been stellar. They lead the NFL in interceptions with 12, including four off of Michael Vick in beating of Philly Dream Team.

Next: @ Giants

7. Washington Redskins 3-1 (7)

No one thought these guys would be leading the NFC East at this point. They got to sit back on their bye week watching division rivals Giants and Eagles lose. They can all but bury Philly with a win this week.

Next: vs. Eagles

8. San Francisco 49ers 4-1 (unranked)

Have all but clinched the NFC west after Week 5. Has Alex Smith finally found himself under first year coach Jim Harbaugh? It will be a huge test this week at Detroit versus undefeated Lions. The Niners are one OT loss against the Cowboys away from being undefeated themselves.

Next: @ Lions

9. Pittsburgh Steelers 3-2 (unranked)

Keep hearing how old and banged up they are. Sure looked frisky in beat down of the Titans in Pittsburgh. A hurting Big Ben tied the franchise record with 5 TD passes. Never go to sleep on this team.

Next: vs Jaguars

10. San Diego Chargers 4-1 (unranked)

Can’t get too excited by these guys as their four wins have been against the Vikings, Chiefs, Dolphins and Broncos with a combined record of 4-15. Still they’re winning. Give them their do.

Next: BYE

Closing in: Oakland Raiders and Cincinnati Bengals

Benigno’s Best: Week 6 NFL Power Rankings

October 11, 2011 10:39 AM

1. Green Bay Packers 5-0 (1)

They spotted the Falcons 14 points on the road and came back to score the next 25. Will this team ever lose a game?

Next: vs. Rams

2. Detroit Lions 5-0 (2)

Nine straight wins. For the first time since 1956, Detroit opens the season 5-0. Bobby Layne was the quarterback then. Hot times in Motown with the Lions roaring and the Tigers in the ALCS.

Next: vs. 49ers

3. New Orleans Saints 4-1 (3)

Drew Brees to Pierre Thomas with 50 seconds left as the Saints get by the Panthers. There are some concerns defensively, but this team can score. A showdown with the Bucs is looming.

Next: @ Bucs

4. Baltimore Ravens 3-1 (4)

The Ravens enjoyed the bye week after their butt kicking of the Jets. A banged up Texans team is next on menu for football’s fiercest defense.

Next: vs. Texans

5. New England Patriots 4-1 (5)

The Patriots gained revenge for last year’s playoff debacle in their beating of the archrival Jets in Foxboro. The defense is still shaky, but it looks like the Pats have discovered the running game in wins over the Raiders and Jets.

Next: vs. Cowboys

6. Buffalo Bills 4-1 (10)

Buffalo’s offense gets the headlines but their defense has been stellar. They lead the NFL in interceptions with 12, including four off of Michael Vick in beating of Philly Dream Team.

Next: @ Giants

7. Washington Redskins 3-1 (7)

No one thought these guys would be leading the NFC East at this point. They got to sit back on their bye week watching division rivals Giants and Eagles lose. They can all but bury Philly with a win this week.

Next: vs. Eagles

8. San Francisco 49ers 4-1 (unranked)

Have all but clinched the NFC west after Week 5. Has Alex Smith finally found himself under first year coach Jim Harbaugh? It will be a huge test this week at Detroit versus undefeated Lions. The Niners are one OT loss against the Cowboys away from being undefeated themselves.

Next: @ Lions

9. Pittsburgh Steelers 3-2 (unranked)

Keep hearing how old and banged up they are. Sure looked frisky in beat down of the Titans in Pittsburgh. A hurting Big Ben tied the franchise record with 5 TD passes. Never go to sleep on this team.

Next: vs Jaguars

10. San Diego Chargers 4-1 (unranked)

Can’t get too excited by these guys as their four wins have been against the Vikings, Chiefs, Dolphins and Broncos with a combined record of 4-15. Still they’re winning. Give them their do.

Next: BYE

Closing in: Oakland Raiders and Cincinnati Bengals

Looks like the Jets are Closing in on the Also Ran Status

Jets say cameraman isn’t a spy

10:27 AM, October 11, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

uesday morning, Pro Football Talk posted a screen grab of a Jets employee shooting video from the sidelines during Sunday’s loss to the Patriots.

The Jets have responded on the isssue, and say that since the cameraman works for Jets TV no rules were being broken.

“The cameraman in the picture works for Jets TV, is wearing a green vest and shoots footage for our team programming,” the Jets said in an email.

It was over four years ago that the Patriots were caught videotaping the Jets relaying in defensive signals during a game and were severely punished with fines and loss of a first-round draft pick.

Coach Bill Belichick was also fined 500,000 personally.

The Jets cited the NFL’s rules to further explain:

“Per the NFL's 2011 policy on sideline media access:

Club video crews and video crews from television stations that produce and telecast club-licensed programming (e.g. coaches' shows, team magazine-style shows, etc.) may also be permitted to have a camera on the sidelines to shoot footage for those club-licensed programs only.

“Home and visiting club-related sideline video personnel (those shooting for coaches' shows and team programming, scoreboard cameras, etc.) will wear lime green vests.”

The man in the picture — shown over offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s shoulder — is wearing a lime green vest, which should put a quick end to the mini-controversy.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_say_cameraman_isn_spy_61chMsOKNas6jwFHryMyZP#ixzz1aUCwooVa

Sanchez-Fitz-Moore Watch

October, 11, 2011

Oct 11

11:00

AM ET

By James Walker

We thought about ending the "Sanchez-Henne-Fitz Watch" after Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick took a sizable lead and Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne had a season-ending shoulder injury.

But our AFC East community talked me out of it.

So, by popular demand, here is the "Sanchez-Fitz-Moore Watch." To make it fair, we gave Fitzpatrick the first quarter of the season (Games 1-4), and will start the second quarter this week. That allows Mark Sanchez and new entry Matt Moore to have a clean slate.

Miami was on a bye in Week 5. But Moore will have his shot to make up ground when the Bills and Jets take their byes.

Here is the latest installment:

Mark Sanchez, Jets

Result: L, 30-21 against New England

Stats: 16-26, 166 yards, two TDs

QBR: 54.9

Analysis: Jets coach Rex Ryan said he would throw less and run more. That certainly was the case for New York this week. The result actually helped Sanchez, who played a solid game. Sanchez bounced back from his awful performance against Baltimore and was efficient against the Patriots. He threw two touchdown passes and led three scoring drives total.

Walker's grade: B

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bills

Result: W, 31-24 against Philadelphia

Stats: 21-27, 193 yards, one TD, one INT

QBR: 56.8

Analysis: Fitzpatrick had another winning performance against the "Dream Team" Eagles, who have a really talented secondary. Most of Fitzpatrick's completions were short and intermediate throws.

He had just two completions over 20 yards, and one was a well-designed screen that tailback Fred Jackson took 49 yards. I think the ankle injury to receiver Donald Jones will be an underrated loss for Fitzpatrick and the offense. But Fitzpatrick is smart enough to adjust and still win games.

Walker's grade: B

This week's winner: Sanchez and Fitzpatrick (three points)

Overall second-quarter standings

1. (tie) Sanchez (three points)

1. (tie) Fitzpatrick (three points)

3. Moore (zero points)

The Incredible Mike Florio Strikes Again

943_tiny by dvdvil on Oct 11, 2011 10:40 AM EDT

The incredible Mike Florio has struck again, posting a non-story about a cameraman on the sidelines, wearing an NFL vest with a Jets shirt underneath and a staff ID card around his neck:

a credentialed member of the Jets staff holding a television camera and pointing it at across the field, presumably at the Patriots sideline.

He later went on to write that the "controversy was over before it even really began." You don't say, Mike?

For those of you who don't know, the Jets have been producing their own shows since Woody Johnson bought the team. They once had a show for kids called "Generation Jets." They also had "Jets 24/7 with Herman Edwards", which became "Jets 24/7 with Eric Mangini".

Those shows were produced by a company in Chelsea. By the time HC Rex Ryan was hired, Gang Green launched the Jets Television Network and did everything in-house. "24/7" then transformed into "Jets Flight Plan". The team also started "Jets Huddle" last year.

On top of that, the Jets are on almost everyday on SNY with shows like "Jets Game Plan" and special coverage once in a while.

In addition, the team produces plenty of videos on their website and for their Facebook account. Eric Allen does a lot of on-camera interviews. In 2009, ILB Bart Scott co-hosted a show with him.

What sometimes surprises me is that even beat writers don't seem aware of these shows. The "home of the Jets" chant has been featured on "24/7" after every win since the show began. Yet, when SNY constantly aired them on "Jets Post Game", Rich Cimini actually wrote that it was FB Tony Richardson who brought this chant from Kansas City because they do "home of the Chiefs" during the National Anthem, as though he actually checked with anybody to confirm it. Newsflash: T-Rich was chosen to break the huddle because he was the experienced veteran. This year, RB LaDainian Tomlinson is the guy who does it. I think it's mind-boggling that you could be paid to cover the team and not even bother to DVR the team's programming.

You know the guy who they allow into the locker room to videotape Rex addressing the team? It's probably that guy in the picture. And the NFL has access to that footage, and it sometimes winds up on the NFL Network shows like "Sound FX" or "Turning Point". In other words, the league has been well aware of the cameramen's presence. Just like the league was aware of Rex's comments about pursuing then Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha when Florio accused the Jets of tampering, because Commissioner Roger Goodell himself was there when those comments were made. And Florio would have known that if he would have checked his facts before creating a stir out of second-hand information.

Inside the Jets' loss

October, 11, 2011

Oct 11

12:12

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Reviewed the tape of the Jets' 30-21 loss to the Patriots. Thoughts and observations:

ENOUGH SCHOTTS?: A lot of folks were upset with O.C. Brian Schottenheimer because the Jets didn't throw more often against the league's worst pass defense. As Rex Ryan explained, they were intent on running the ball and used their "regular" personnel more than usual, cutting back on their three-receiver packages. But here's a stat that suggests they should've gone to more three-wide formations:

QB Mark Sanchez recorded his second-highest passer rating in 3+ WR formations, according to ESPN Stats and Information. Mind you, the Patriots' pass defense began the day as the worst in the league against 3+ WR packages (8.9 yards per pass attempt).

Sanchez's numbers with 3+ WR on the field:

Completion percentage -- 73.3

Yds/attempt -- 7.7

TD/INT -- 2-0

Passer rating -- 134.7

THIRD-DOWN BLAME: The Jets were awful on third down, failing on their first four tries and finishing 3-for-11. Was there a common thread? Not really.

There was a poor throw by Sanchez (to TE Dustin Keller), a drop by FB John Conner, a late blitz pick-up by RB LaDainian Tomlinson (that resulted in an incompletion) and poor pass protection by the O-line out of an empty set (sack).

And, yes, Schottenheimer deserves some blame, too. On a third-and-6, the Jets went "empty," sending five into pass routes. Problem was, all five ran short routes -- to the sticks or short of the sticks. It's like they anticipated a blitz, but the Patriots rushed only three. Sanchez completed a pass to WR Jeremy Kerley, but for only four yards.

The two third-down conversions were well-designed plays. On a third-and-2 from the Patriots' 16, the Jets ran a "bunch" formation and confused the Patriots, with WR Plaxico Burress getting open on a shallow cross. Actually, Kerley was wide open in the middle of the field and would've scored easily if Sanchez had spotted him. Turns out they scored anyway on Shonn Greene's three-yard run.

Later, Santonio Holmes' 21-yard TD grab came on a third-and-7. He ran a great route, shaking CB Kyle Arrington with a head fake on a corner route. It was great anticipation by Sanchez, who delivered the ball on the money.

SECOND-GUESSING THE GAME PLAN: Schottenheimer is taking a lot of heat for running too much against the Patriots' porous secondary. Frankly, I didn't have a problem with the run-pass ratio.

Yeah, maybe they got a little stubborn in the second half, continuing to run on first down even though they weren't as successful as the first half. But, clearly, Ryan wanted to go Ground & Pound to shorten the game and limit Tom Brady's touches -- and it might have worked if the defense had delivered a late stop.

The problem I had with the game plan wasn't how often they threw the ball, but how they threw it.

They attempted only two passes over 20 yards, Holmes' TD and the sideline incompletion to Burress (the catch that was overturned by replay). The Patriots were sitting on the short routes all day; the Jets should've tried to stretch the field. It's hard to believe they couldn't find a way to pick on former Jets S James Ihedigbo, never known for his pass coverage. He played the entire game because of an injury to the starter.

CHECK MATE: Ryan said it would be a chess match, and he was right -- except he and D.C. Mike Pettine made the wrong moves on the Patriots' final possession -- a 13-play, 69-yard drive that ended with a game-clinching FG.

Thinking Brady would throw, the Jets used seven DBs on the first four plays, and the Patriots ran for eight, three, 15 and six yards against the smaller personnel. That gave them the momentum.

Finally, the Jets got their run stoppers in the game and they got the Patriots into a third-and-4 -- and got fooled again.

The Patriots went with four WRs and the Jets countered with 6 DBs. They were thinking pass, and the Patriots gashed them for 14 yards with a direct snap to BenJarvus Green-Ellis. That put the Patriots into FG range. Game over.

Throughout the game, the Jets were so concerned by Brady that they put six or fewer defenders in the box on 58 of 79 snaps, according to ESPN Stats and Information. Green-Ellis capitalized on the extra room, rushing for 99 yards and a touchdown in those situations.

SWINGS AND MISSES: The Jets missed an inordinate number of tackles -- eight, according to my count. Those missed accounted for 68 extra yards. DT Mike DeVito, one of the best run stoppers, missed tackles on back-to-back plays. S Jim Leonhard also missed two tackles.

ODDS AND ENDS: Here's the downside to LB Aaron Maybin. As soon as he came into the game, on a second-and-24, the Patriots ran an inside draw for eight yards, hitting the gap vacated by Maybin on his outside rush ... CB Kyle Wilson is a tenacious tackler. You won't find too many cornerbacks more physical than him. He's still lacking ball awareness, especially in all-out blitz situations ...

Tomlinson made a great block on former Jets DE Shaun Ellis on the nine-yard TD pass to Kerley. It was a well-designed rollout by Sanchez; there should've been more of those ... Excellent block by LG Matt Slauson on Greene's 3-yard TD run ... CB Antonio Cromartie got caught napping on Deion Branch's 2-yard TD catch. If you're wondering why Brady had all day to throw, it's because the Jets rushed only three.

Jets sign DB Ellis Lankster to 53-man roster

Published: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 12:21 PM Updated: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 12:29 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/

Defensive back Ellis Lankster signed a one-year deal with the Jets today, according to a person with knowledge of the transaction. That person requested anonymity because the team has not yet announced the move.

Lankster signed a future contract with the Jets in January and spent training camp with the team. The Jets brought the second-year player in for a visit today.

Lankster helps add depth to the Jets secondary after a pair of injuries in Sunday's loss to the Patriots. Defensive back Donald Strickland left the game with a head injury, and coach Rex Ryan said yesterday that Isaiah Trufant sustained a significant hamstring pull.

No word yet on the corresponding roster move.

AFC East Stock Watch

October, 11, 2011

Oct 11

1:00

PM ET

By James Walker

FALLING

1. New York Jets: There are reports of unhappiness and internal strife in the Jets' locker room.

Three consecutive losses can do that to a team. New York's poor product on the field is driving Jets fans crazy. The offense is ranked 28th and the defense, although still talented, isn't what it used to be. There are no easy answers for the Jets. They can't seem to figure out their identity and put it all together. If New York can't get it right in time for its "Monday Night Football" game against the winless Miami Dolphins, it may be too late.

2. Buffalo Bills' defense: Watching Buffalo's defense can be exciting and maddening at the same time. The Bills fly to the football and often make heady interceptions and force fumbles. But Buffalo's defense also gives up way too many yards. The Bills have allowed 450 yards or more in four straight games. It's amazing that they are 3-1 in those contests. Buffalo constantly walks the edge and usually comes out on top. But if the defense doesn't improve, being in close games every week may eventually catch up to the Bills.

3. Jets' third-down offense: New York is 7 for 26 (21 percent) on third downs the past two games. That is a sure way to wear out your defense and lose games. The execution just hasn't been there most of the season.

RISING

1. New England Patriots running game: Few people know this, but the Patriots' offense is sixth in the NFL in rushing. Quarterback Tom Brady and the Patriots' high-powered passing attack get most of the credit for their 4-1 start. But New England also is running the ball very efficiently. BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Stevan Ridley and Danny Woodhead have all contributed at different times. Balance on offense also has helped keep New England's struggling defense off the field in recent weeks.

2. Bills safety George Wilson: The sixth-year safety is having the best season of his career. Wilson probably had the best game of his career Sunday in a win over the Philadelphia Eagles. He recorded 11 tackles, three passes defended and an interception. Wilson's steady leadership is one of the reasons Buffalo is tied for the best record in the AFC.

3. Bills running back Fred Jackson: What more can we say about Jackson, who has been a regular in the "Rising" category of Stock Watch? Jackson had another great game, accounting for 196 total yards and one touchdown against Philadelphia. Jackson is having a career year and setting himself up well for a contract extension. He's rushed for 480 yards and five touchdowns in five games. Jackson is averaging 5.3 yards per carry.

B Lankster re-signs

October, 11, 2011

Oct 11

1:15

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

With CB Donald Strickland suffering a possible concussion, and with CB Isaiah Trufant pulling a hamstring Sunday against the Patriots, the Jets went out Tuesday and acquired cornerback depth. They re-signed veteran Ellis Lankster, his agent announced on Twitter.

Lankster, a former Bills draft pick, was on the Jets' training-camp roster, so he's familiar with the system. He played well in the preseason, and some thought he'd make the team. Now, he'll likely be the No. 5 corner.

Date set for 2014 Super Bowl at the Meadowlands

The Record

The date has been set for Super Bowl XLVIII in East Rutherford.

The NFL's 2014 championship game will be played Feb. 2, 2014 at MetLife Stadium, home of the Giants and Jets.

NFL owners meeting in Houston also awarded the 2015 Super Bowl to the Phoenix area.

It will be the third time the area has hosted the game, which will be played in Glendale, Ariz. The Super Bowl also was held at University of Phoenix Stadium in 2008, when the Giants beat the Patriots, 17-14. Tempe, Ariz., hosted the game in 1996, with Dallas defeating Pittsburgh, 27-17.

The Arizona committee screamed in delight when the announcement was made Tuesday.

Phoenix beat the Tampa area in the bidding on the second ballot. Tampa has hosted the game in 1984, 1991, 2001 and 2009.

Next year's game is in Indianapolis, followed by New Orleans in 2013 and East Rutherford in 2014.

NFL Week 5 Power Rankings

NFL Jason Lisk October 11th. 2011, 12:50pm

This week saw the Giants lose a bad one at home to Seattle when the defense couldn’t stop Charlie Whitehurst late, and Victor Cruz gave himself up by trying to use one hand on a catch. The Eagles continue their stellar play, while the Lions and Bills keep on going. The 49ers are this week’s surging team after completely dominating the Buccaneers. This week’s opponent in parens.

TIER ONE (SUPER BOWL FAVORITES)

Green Bay Packers (5-0): After falling behind 14-0, completely dominated Atlanta, even with LT Chad Clifton leaving the game with injury. This team will have to play without Clifton, but they are good enough to overcome it. (vs. Rams)

New England Patriots (4-1): New England was somehow able to contain the Jets offense despite giving up big yards in recent weeks. Wes Welker with most receiving yards ever (740) through 5 games, almost 100 yards ahead of Mark Duper in 1984. (vs. Cowboys)

Baltimore Ravens (3-1): The defense carried Joe Flacco during the bye week. (vs. Texans)

TIER TWO (SUPER BOWL CONTENDERS)

New Orleans Saints (4-1): Jimmy Graham’s 496 receiving yards through 5 games is second most for tight end since merger (Ben Coates, 529 yards through 5 games in 1994). (at Buccaneers)

Detroit Lions (5-0): Lions don’t want to continue the first half trend of starting slow, but the offense came up with big plays in the second half. (vs. 49ers)

TIER THREE (PLAYOFF CONTENDERS)

Buffalo Bills (4-1): Is this Buffalo Leap into the stands new this year? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it somewhere else. (at NY Giants)

San Francisco 49ers (4-1): Three straight wins has the 49ers looking like the clear favorite in the NFC West. Doesn’t look like a losing record wins the division this year.

San Diego Chargers (4-1): The Chargers have 10 turnovers and are -5 in turnover differential, but have managed to keep winning. (bye week)

Houston Texans (3-2): Mario Williams is out, Andre Johnson is out, and the Texans, who looked so good to start, now need a big road win at Baltimore. (at Ravens)

Pittsburgh Steelers (3-2): Despite all the talk about the age of the defense, and with James Harrison out, Pittsburgh came up with a great defensive game, and are currently #1 in the league in net yards per pass allowed. (vs. Jaguars)

Dallas Cowboys (2-2): Tony Romo avoided the big mistake this week. (at Patriots)

TIER FOUR (THE 1980′S WERE TOTALLY RAD TIER)

Oakland Raiders (3-2): Sebastian Janikowski is ridiculous right now. (vs. Browns)

Washington Redskins (3-1): The Redskins will play in the Campbell’s Soup Donovan McNabb Memorial Bowl this week. (vs. Eagles)

New York Giants (3-2): The team from Jersey plays a New York team this week (vs. Bills).

New York Jets (2-3): [abstain from commenting negatively about Jets] (vs. Dolphins)

Cincinnati Bengals (3-2): I was wrong about the Bengals. This team is solidly competitive, has a good defense, and the rookies are playing fairly well. (vs. Colts)

Tennessee Titans (3-2): The Titans allowed more touchdown passes to Ben Roethlisberger (5) than they had given up all year (4). (bye week)

Chicago Bears (2-3): Yes, the offensive line is atrocious. We knew that. I’m not going to ding them to much when the losses are to Green Bay, Detroit, and New Orleans. (vs. Vikings)

Philadelphia Eagles (1-4): I like the Eagles to win at Washington this week. That is all. (at Redskins)

TIER FIVE (THE NFC SOUTH IS THE TOUGHEST DIVISION TIER)

Minnesota Vikings (1-4): The good news is that the Vikings are now 1-3 when leading by double digits at halftime. (at Bears)

Carolina Panthers (1-4): The Panthers have now played in five straight close games, and again had a chance. That timeout with 1 second left when the Saints weren’t going to get a field goal attempt off after being tackled in play was killer, and the difference in the game. Still, this team is going to start beating people really soon. (at Falcons)

Cleveland Browns (2-2): Rumor: Peyton Hillis sat out the bye week because he wants a new contract. (at Raiders)

Denver Broncos (1-4): Tim Tebow! (bye week)

Atlanta Falcons (2-3): 25th in net yards per attempt on offense; 30th in net yards on defense. These are not good indicators of a team that is a playoff threat. (vs. Carolina)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-2): The Bucs have won three close games against teams that are a combined 3-12. They just got destroyed at San Fran 48-3. Yeah, Bucs fans aren’t going to like me again this year when I rank them as the lowest team with a winning record. (vs. Saints)

Miami Dolphins (0-4): This team played a tough schedule early, and I think would have been a bounce back candidate. But now with Matt Moore at QB and signing Rosenfels, all bets are off. (at NY Jets)

TIER SIX (TEAMS THAT STILL WON’T BE WINNING THEIR FIRST SUPER BOWL TIER)

Seattle Seahawks (2-3): I literally know nothing about Doug Baldwin, and his pro-football-reference page doesn’t either–undrafted and apparently never went to school anywhere. (bye week)

Jacksonville Jaguars (1-4): Blaine Gabbert is in trouble this week (at Steelers)

Arizona Cardinals (1-4): Don’t worry, Cardinals fans. You’ll probably make another championship game appearance in 2070. (bye week)

TIER SEVEN (FREE FALLIN’ FOR SOME STANFORD SIGNAL CALLIN’ TIER)

Kansas City Chiefs (2-3): Todd Haley is refusing to shave until the Chiefs lose a game. I am refusing to shave until we put up another post about Tim Tebow. (bye week)

St. Louis Rams (0-4): Crazy stuff happens all the time in the NFL, Rams fans. Remember the Colts over Packers in 1997? Probably not happening this week though. (at Packers)

Indianapolis Colts (0-5): Over the last four games, the Colts have been down 2, up 3, tied, and up 3 entering the fourth quarter, and lost all of them. (at Bengals)

NFL Power Rankings: AFC East

October, 11, 2011

Oct 11

2:00

PM ET

By James Walker

The AFC East went 2-1 in Week 5. Here is how those games impacted this week's Power Rankings:

New England Patriots (4-1)

Result: W, 30-21 against the Jets

Power ranking: No. 2 (up one spot)

Walker's vote: No. 2 (up one spot)

Analysis: A less-than-stellar performance by the New Orleans Saints allowed the Patriots to climb one spot in this week's Power Rankings. New England had another great performance with a win over the Jets. Quarterback Tom Brady has been phenomenal, and now the running game is starting to gain steam. If the defense can make greater strides towards the second half of the season, New England will be very tough to beat.

Buffalo Bills (4-1)

Result: W, 31-24 against Philadelphia

Power ranking: No. 6 (up three spots)

Walker's vote: No. 7 (up three spots)

Analysis: The Bills climbed back near the top of the Power Rankings with an impressive win over the "Dream Team" Philadelphia Eagles. Buffalo dominated the game and led by 17 points after three quarters. The desperate Eagles made a push in the fourth but the Bills held on. Buffalo already matched its win total from last season. The Bills join the Detroit Lions as the darlings of the AFC and NFC, respectively.

New York Jets (2-3)

Result: L, 30-21 against New England

Power ranking: No. 17 (down three spots)

Walker's vote: No. 15 (down four spots)

Analysis: The Jets are slowly moving down the Power Rankings during their three-game losing streak. They were rated as low as No. 21 by our panel. I voted New York No. 15. I may be alone here, but I still think the Jets have potential. New York has more talent than most of the two- and three-win teams. The Jets just need to find their identity and put it all together. A game against the winless Dolphins could be the right time for the Jets get their swagger back. If not, it will be a long season in New York.

Miami Dolphins (0-4)

Result: Bye

Power ranking: No. 30 (up one spot)

Walker's vote: No. 31 (same)

Analysis: The Dolphins moved up one place to No. 30 following the bye. The Indianapolis Colts dropped to No. 32 following their loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. The Dolphins have given New York problems in the past. So Miami at least has a chance to pull the upset. But Miami is starting a backup quarterback -- Matt Moore -- on the road after Chad Henne’s season-ending shoulder injury. That doesn't bode well for the Dolphins, who are trying to turn their season around.

Former Jets assistant Sal Alosi speaks about his new role

by: Mike Berardino October 11th, 2011 | 1:29 PM

Former Jets assistant Sal Alosi is rebuilding his career at Bryant University in Rhode Island

With the Miami Dolphins making their first trip to the Meadowlands next Monday since last December’s Tripgate, I reached out to Sal Alosi this week to see if he’d talk.

Alosi, of course, is the former strength and conditioning coordinator for the New York Jets who infamously stuck out his knee on the sideline and tripped Dolphins gunner Nolan Carroll in punt coverage.

After initially denying any wrongdoing, Alosi quickly owned up to his gross error in judgment and was soon suspended and ultimately released by the team. Jets coach Rex Ryan continued to back Alosi even after he was let go, and sure enough Alosi has landed on his feet, albeit at a much lower level than the NFL, where he spent nine seasons with the Jets and Falcons.

Alosi, a former Hofstra linebacker from 1996-2000, was hired this summer as the overall strength and conditioning coach for Bryant University in Smithfield, R.I., just outside of Providence. Bryant’s football program is in its fourth and final year of transitioning to Division I, and the Bulldogs are off to a 4-2 start under eighth-year coach Marty Fine.

Unfortunately, school officials have denied my interview request, issuing instead the following statements from Alosi and athletic director Bill Smith:

“I am grateful for the opportunity that President [Ronald K.] Machtley and Bill Smith have given me here at Bryant University,” Alosi said in his statement. “I have moved on from what occurred in the past, and I am grateful for the chance to work with all of the student-athletes here at Bryant.”

Machtley, a Republican, is a former three-term U.S. Representative (1989-95) from Rhode Island who made an unsuccessful bid for Governor of Rhode Island in 1995. He has been president since 1996 at Bryant, a private school with a total enrollment of about 5,000.

Bryant, incidentally, has been voted the Safest Campus in the United States by Seventeen magazine. (Carroll might disagree.)

Added Smith: “Following the departure of our previous strength and conditioning coach just prior to preseason, we were contacted by Sal in regards to the position. After speaking with him directly, we are certain we hired not only an outstanding strength coach to work with our student-athletes, but also an outstanding individual.

“Sal has moved on in his career, accepting all responsibilities from the past, and in just a short time has already made significant improvements in the areas of strength and conditioning with our teams.”

The Bulldogs, coming off a 42-7 win over Stonehill, play host to Monmouth on Saturday during Parents and Family Weekend.

Monmouth, ironically, is located a short drive from the New Jersey Meadowlands, where Alosi used to work and last Dec. 12 made a mistake he’ll no doubt regret for the rest of his life.

Parcells: Sanchez not ready to carry team

October, 11, 2011

Oct 11

2:47

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Former NFL coach Bill Parcells is surprised by the Jets' early struggles -- who isn't? -- and he believes it would be asking too much of Mark Sanchez to lift the team out of its funk.

"He's a developing player, just like all young quarterbacks, and there's going to be some good and some not-so-good," Parcells, an ESPN studio analyst, said Tuesday on 1050 ESPN Radio. "The good thing about Sanchez, he's acquired an awful lot of big-time game experience in his short time in the league. I think that will serve him well."

The Tuna added, "Before you can drive a Ford, you have to be able to drive a Cadillac. So if they get everything good around him, I think it will go well. Right now, I don't think he can take the team completely on his shoulders."

Rex Ryan evidently feels the same way. He didn't say so, but that's probably one of the reasons why they scaled back the offense and relied on the running game Sunday against the Patriots. It was a way to take some pressure off Sanchez, who was coming off a four-turnover disaster against the Ravens.

Archived