Giants @ Jets 12/24

OzJet

Im curious as to how this game will be seen from the perspective of the fans.

As a relative newcomer to watching the NFL, I've noticed that division rivalries are very strong, due to the twice a year frequency, and importance of those games in playoff tie breaks.

However, how do the fans see the game against the Giants? Is there a feeling of local rivalry that will make his game bigger than an average inter conference battle, or does the lack of frequency in the Jets v Giants games take some of that away?

I ask mainly because I will be at this game, whilst on holiday from Australia, so I am interested to know what to expect. I'm also interested to know simply because the concept of potentially only playing against a team once every 4 years is very foreign to me, and really it's different to how sport is generally played around the world.

As a relative newcomer to watching the NFL, I've noticed that division rivalries are very strong, due to the twice a year frequency, and importance of those games in playoff tie breaks.

However, how do the fans see the game against the Giants? Is there a feeling of local rivalry that will make his game bigger than an average inter conference battle, or does the lack of frequency in the Jets v Giants games take some of that away?

I ask mainly because I will be at this game, whilst on holiday from Australia, so I am interested to know what to expect. I'm also interested to know simply because the concept of potentially only playing against a team once every 4 years is very foreign to me, and really it's different to how sport is generally played around the world.

The game will be intense...mostly Jets fans obviously but there will be a lot of Giants fans as well.

And the Jets won't want to lose to the Giants during their magical Super Bowl season. :)

Jets not only lose this game, but a playoff spot as well on christmas eve. As a result they lose the small edge they had on the Giants in this town and fall back into obscurity on the national level. Revis plays next year, holds out the year after and Jets don't pay up this time. Defense takes a big hit as we still haven't solved the pass rush issue and the media runs Rex out of town halfway through that season because they forgot how easy he made their job and his schtick got old among fans. This forum and talk radio spends the next 5 to 7 years arguing Sanchez vs. That years back up QB. A couple head coaching changes and a few good draft picks and eventually thanks to an easy schedule and a couple lucky breaks the Jets wind up with a wild card spot some time at the end of this decade. Jets lose wild card game. One and done.

And everything is back to normal.

Jets not only lose this game, but a playoff spot as well on christmas eve. As a result they lose the small edge they had on the Giants in this town and fall back into obscurity on the national level. Revis plays next year, holds out the year after and Jets don't pay up this time. Defense takes a big hit as we still haven't solved the pass rush issue and the media runs Rex out of town halfway through that season because they forgot how easy he made their job and his schtick got old among fans. This forum and talk radio spends the next 5 to 7 years arguing Sanchez vs. That years back up QB. A couple head coaching changes and a few good draft picks and eventually thanks to an easy schedule and a couple lucky breaks the Jets wind up with a wild card spot some time at the end of this decade. Jets lose wild card game. One and done.

That was mean.

Put your shirt back on.

Meh, not that big a deal. It'll likely be more than 7 years before I'm back in the USA, and going to a game, so the Jets might be good again by then.

:P

I have a hard time figuring out how I feel about the rivalry. On the one hand, they're a New York team. So that means when they are playing Boston (New England) or Philadelphia, I always root for them because of the rivalry between New York and Boston/Philadelphia.

I don't mind when they do well, but because they are in the same town as us, I don't like when they steal the newspaper headlines. So basically I will root for them to win but only if we're better than them or they're playing a Jets rival or a New York city/New York state rival like Boston/Philadelphia.

The stadium will be roaring that night!!!

To answer your other question, I think the fact that they play so rarely but occupy the same town makes it even wilder. Whoever wins will have bragging rights for a few years.

The bottom line is their team is fine but their fans are a bunch of "Giant" douches. It's only gotten worse since Rex came to town and the Jets have been the better team. If the Jets win, I'll be happy regardless of what the Giants do and frankly couldn't really give a sh*t more often than not, but Giants fans seem to take a much greater amount of pleasure in instances when the Giants win and the Jets lose, and the ensuing media coverage of blowing the Giants and trashing the Jets, and are sure to let everyone know about it. They seem to have this major complex revolving around the idea that they absolutely must be the better team at all times, so while this has happened in spurts the past 10 years or so, it's been a major issue for 3 years now.

Archived