Jets News 11-30

flgreen

Milestone Reached: 200 All-Time Home Wins

By Randy Lange

Posted 17 hours ago

Some milestones are lit up big as billboards on the interstate. Others whiz by with hardly any notice.

But that doesn't make that latter class of milestones any less significant.

The Jets hit one of those feelgood franchise markers on Sunday in their 28-24 success over the Bills. The win was the 200th home triumph in franchise history.

"It's a cool fact," said defensive tackle Sione Pouhaicon-article-link.gif. "It's kind of cool to know I was there for 199, 198, 197 ... It's nice to know you can put a couple of more scratch marks next to those."

"Two hundred wins," tight end Dustin Kellericon-article-link.gif savored the distinction. "Obviously there are a lot of teams that have passed that milestone, but just to be here and to get to say you were here and you were a part of that, it's huge."

It's also huge for Rex Ryan, who not only has been the head coach for the last 14 of those home "W's" but also was around for some of the victories in the 30s back in the late Sixties and early Seventies when he and twin brother Rob were around the team as kids and their father, Buddy, was an assistant coach under Weeb Ewbank.

"I wasn't aware of it. That's impressive," Ryan told newyorkjets.com today. "I'm proud I was a coach here for that. Hopefully, we'll be around to provide a lot more wins at home, but it really is an honor to have coached in such a significant game, and against a division foe as well."

As Keller said, it's not something other teams haven't previously achieved, even a few teams that began life after the New York Titans' birth in 1960. Other teams have had much more celebrated homefield advantages than the Titans/Jets, who, after all, are averaging just 3.8 home wins a season in their 52 years of existence and are slightly above .500 all-time in regular-season and postseason games at home at 200-193-5.

Yet it's important from a historical perspective, and it's important as an indicator of the improvement of the Jets at home in particular since they moved a few hundred yards from their previous living room in the old Meadowlands Stadium venue to their shiny new place, MetLife Stadium.

"We're playing in our stadium and the fans are a huge part of it," Ryan said. "Look at it — we're 5-1 at home. That was something we had talked about going into the season was really improving at home, and we have.

"Now we have to obviously improve on the road but still play great at home. Realistically, we've got two more tough games at home but we expect to win both of them. We're so comfortable at home, we get the fans behind us, and I think that's a big reason we've had the success at home that we've had."

Indeed, "Bring It Home" was an offseason and preseason slogan of the Jets as they attempted to parlay a glittering home record into an AFC East title and a home playoff game. The two losses to the Patriots have made it unlikely the Jets can snag some January home games this season, but on the other hand the Jets are 5-1 at home, striving to beat the Chiefs and Giants for only the third 7-1 home record in their history. And two more home wins would be pivotal in determining if the Jets make this year's playoff grid and where they would end up going.

Below are the Jets' records in all four of their home venues over the years. The records include all home playoff games. The Polo Grounds years include the Titans' three seasons and the franchise's first season as the Jets in 1963. The Meadowlands Stadium mark includes the 1977 opener. PF and PA are the average points per game for the Jets and by their opponents. Stadium Years W L T Pct PF PA Polo Grounds 1960-63 14 13 1 .518 21.9 25.5 Shea Stadium 1964-83 70 70 3 .500 21.5 20.3 Meadowlands Stadium 1984-2009 106 106 1 .500 20.9 19.5 NMS/MetLife 2010-11 10 4 0 .714 22.9 15.9 Home Totals 1960-2011 200 193 5 .509 21.3 20.1

Mark Sanchez says Jets won't make the playoffs if the offense doesn't improve

Published: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 5:57 PM Updated: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 11:27 PM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10304579-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerJets QB Mark Sanchez completed less than 50 percent of his passes against the Bills.

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez said the Jets will not make the playoffs this year if the offense continues to play like it did in Sunday’s 28-24 win against the Buffalo Bills.

“Not a chance,” Sanchez said on The Michael Kay Show on ESPN 1050 Radio. “Not even close. We play like that again, lose the turnover battle, lose time of possession, all those stats – I think our chances of winning the game were probably somewhere like 20, 30 percent chance. Maybe less.

Maybe in the teens. Because you can’t win like that. That’s not a winning formula.”

The Jets needed a fourth-quarter comeback to beat Buffalo. Sanchez said the Jets did what they needed to do to win, but the team did not exhibit a winning formula, with the exception of the offensive line. At 6-5, the Jets may need to win their final five games to make the postseason.

Sanchez threw a career-high four touchdown passes against the Bills, including the game-winner to Santonio Holmes, but was very critical of his performance. He said the passing game was “a little off,” explaining that the timing of passes and landmarks of routes were not very sharp. Sanchez completed 17-of-35 passes, less than 50 percent, for 180 yards, four touchdowns and an interception.

jets_logo.jpg

“No, I don’t think I played very well,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez, who received several waves of boos on Sunday, sounded down during his interview. He said even his parents have asked him if he is OK.

“I’ve never felt better, I feel good physically and mentally, I just want this to go right because you don’t want to miss an opportunity like this, with this kind of talent and this kind of coaching,”

Sanchez said. “I’m usually a lot — I don’t know, bubbly is not the right word — but I smile a lot more, and all that. But at the same time, to me, time is getting short, we’re running short on time here.

There’s no time to mess around, or smile, or even laugh in my opinion. We’ve got to go, and buckle down, and figure this thing out, and win these next five games, and roll. So that’s where my focus is at.”

On the TV broadcast, Sanchez was shown yelling at someone on the sideline after Holmes’ touchdown to give the Jets the lead back. Sanchez admitted he was upset at a few points during Sunday’s game, but he declined to share specifics.

“I’d rather not talk about it,” Sanchez said. “There’s multiple points in the game where I was upset.”

Sanchez said it is just one game and he would leave those feelings on the field.

Safety Emanuel Cook, cut by the Jets Monday, was claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Ravens.

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

A look back at the Jets' 28-24 win against the Bills

Published: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 5:20 PM Updated: Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 5:58 PM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10304444-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerSantonio Holmes scored the 16-yard game-winning touchdown vs. Buffalo.

The Jets escaped with a critical 28-24 win against the Buffalo Bills, keeping their wild-card hopes alive. Rex Ryan said he’d like for his team to be both lucky and good — and on Sunday afternoon, the Jets were a little bit of both.

Here’s a look back at 10 things from Sunday’s game that warrant a second look:

1. Plaxico Burress

The Jets re-watched Burress’ fantastic one-handed sideline grab as a team Monday, eliciting oohs and aahs from the group. Burress turned back toward the ball, reached up with his right arm to pick it out of the air and kept both feet in bounds while pivoting to the turf. “I described it as one of those spectacular Michael Jordan dunks, when he gets the ball out in the open,” NT Sione Pouha said.

“You want to be amazed, but you can’t really be amazed because it’s Michael Jordan. That’s the same with Plax.” Burress made another nice sideline catch on the game-winning drive, for a gain of 14 yards. Earlier, he scored his seventh touchdown of the season — and sixth in the red zone.

2. Mark Sanchez

Sanchez, who did not complete a pass until less than one minute remained in the first quarter, was just 8-of-20 for 66 yards, 2 TDs and an INT in the first half, equating to a passer rating of 61.7. But his second-half passer rating was 123.3, as he completed 9-of-15 passes for 114 yards and 2 TDs, including the game-winner to Santonio Holmes. The Bills DBs played aggressively through the game, often undercutting the Jets’ receivers’ routes, and got their hands on at least four of Sanchez’s passes in addition to the interception. CB Drayton Florence, playing with safety help over the top, had a chance to pick off Sanchez’s third pass of the game, and DB Justin Rogers dove underneath a seam route to Patrick Turner at the goal line in the second quarter.

3. Sanchez-to-Holmes

The pair connected for the game-winning touchdown, a 16-yard catch in the end zone with 1:01 remaining. But through parts of the game, they did not appear to be on the same page: Holmes was targeted nine times, for just 2 completions. In fact, Holmes’ touchdown pass came after six straight passes to him were either incomplete or intercepted. The drive prior to the Jets’ game-winning drive ended on a third-down incompletion to Holmes, when Sanchez’s pass went to the flat while Holmes was running upfield with his back turned, a clear miscommunication. “He adjusted his route when I didn’t think he would,” Sanchez explained. Sanchez’s interception was also on a pass directed to Holmes, when Florence appeared to undercut Holmes’ post route. Sanchez said he was expecting Holmes to sit down on that play, but Holmes told him he got pushed in by the DB.

4. Darrelle Revis vs. Stevie Johnson

Revis gave up his first touchdown of the season, on a 5-yard pass to Johnson — the play on which Johnson drew a flag for his now-infamous excessive celebration, mocking Burress and the Jets. “Brett Favre threw interceptions before,” Revis said. “You’ve got to look at is as you’re not going to have a perfect game all the time.” This was Revis’ busiest day in a while, as Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick didn’t shy away from throwing his direction: Revis was targeted 13 times, unofficially, yielding nine catches for 77 yards and a touchdown. Johnson, who accounted for 75 of those receiving yards, often ran one-step slants and made two or three moves at the line to get separation. Only once this season has Revis been targeted more, when Miami Dolphins QB Matt Moore threw at him 14 times, completing five passes for 63 yards with two interceptions.

5. Eric Smith/Brodney Pool

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said the coaches needed to do a better job of monitoring Smith’s defensive snaps, since he plays such a heavy special-teams load. With Pool back in the line-up, after missing the past two games with a knee injury, the Jets were able to do that. Smith had played every defensive snap at Denver last week, 56 in total. But against the Bills, Smith played about 47 of 70 defensive snaps, by an unofficial count. Pool played about 46 snaps (some personnel groups called for both safeties on the field).

jets_logo.jpg

6. Aaron Maybin

After playing no defensive snaps against the run-oriented Broncos, Maybin resumed a much bigger role against his former team. The pass-rushing OLB unofficially played about 25 of the 70 defensive snaps Sunday and was on the field for every play of the Bills’ final hurry-up drive after the Jets took the lead. Maybin recorded a pair of sacks and drew Ryan’s praise (“The all-hustle team right there,” Ryan said.). Both sacks came with Maybin lined up on the defensive left side. On the first, he lined up in a sprinters’ stance and speed-rushed RT Erik Pears to drag down Fitzpatrick from behind. He was in a standing stance for the second, and sped around TE Scott Chandler while DB Donald Strickland blitzed Fitzpatrick.

7. Pass protection

Ryan praised the offensive line’s performance as the unit’s best of the season. The line did not allow a sack of Sanchez for the first time this season and also helped the team to its highest yards-per-carry mark in 2011. LG Matt Slauson said one change the Jets made was keeping their backs in to block more often, even on occasions when they would normally go out on a route. Sanchez often had time to hitch up or slide in one direction in the pocket, as he did on his 18-yard touchdown pass to TE Dustin Keller in the third quarter. The quarterback also praised the line for collapsing the right side of the Bills defense on the game-winning touchdown to Holmes, giving him a wide-open hole as he ran to the right.

8. Shonn Greene

The starting running back was visibly in pain from his bruised ribs at points during Sunday’s game but still earned 6.0 yards per carry, his highest average of the season — and best since Jan. 9, 2010, when he picked up 6.4 yards per carry in the postseason win against the Cincinnati Bengals. Greene unofficially played 41 snaps, one of his biggest loads of the season, with LaDainian Tomlinson out. Joe McKnight was in for 16 plays, spelling Greene for stretches in the second and third quarters when Greene appeared to be in pain, and also filling Tomlinson’s role in the two-minute offense. McKnight wasn’t used as the primary third-down back in Tomlinson’s stead, the coaches often sticking with Greene, perhaps for his blocking ability.

9. Dustin Keller

Of all Sanchez’s targets, he has played with Keller the longest, and the Jets made Keller a big part of the game plan as Sanchez and the offense tried to bounce back after two straight losses. Sanchez’s first three throws to Keller were incomplete, but they connected 4 of the next five times, including two touchdowns. On Keller’s 3-yard touchdown catch, the safeties bit hard on a playaction fake and he was wide open in the end zone. On his 18-yard score, one tackler spun off him and he crossed the goal line with Rogers and S Jairus Byrd on his back. This was Keller’s first multiple-touchdown game since Oct. 3, 2010, also against the Bills.

10. Mike DeVito’s injury

The defensive tackle appeared to injure his left knee early in the third quarter. On a run play, Pears looked to deliver a cut block to DeVito’s knee. DeVito chased down the play but got up holding his knee and limped off the field. He did not return, and Ryan does not expect him to play against the Washington Redskins.

Sanchez says Jets can't play like that and win

5:53 PM, November 29, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez knows he needs to improve to get his team to the playoffs.

Sanchez threw four touchdowns Sunday in the 28-24 win over the Bills but had a rough day overall.

Appearing Tuesday on ESPN Radio in his weekly paid interview, Sanchez acknowledged he did not play well.

“That’s not a winning formula,” Sanchez said. “It wasn’t a great performance. We made plays when we needed to. When you look at the stat line, under 50 percent there’s no excuse for that … No, I don’t think I played very well.”

Sanchez completed 49 percent of his passes (17 of 35) but said he has not let doubts creep in.

“Last week was not my best,” Sanchez said. “Last week was not our best as an offense, with the exception of the offensive line. We have to play a lot better than that.”

The Jets are 6-5 with five games left. Sanchez was asked if the Jets can make the playoffs if they play again like they did on Sunday.

“Not a chance,” he said. “Not even close. We play like that again … I think our chances of winning the game were probably somewhere in the 20, 30 percent chance. You can’t win a game like that.

That’s not a winning formula.”

Sanchez was asked about the TV cameras catching him yelling at someone on the sideline near the end of Sunday’s game. At first, Sanchez acted like he didn’t remember then acknowledged there were some heated moments.

“I’d rather not talk about it,” he said.

ESPN analyst Tim Hasselbeck said hinted earlier this week that he’s heard Sanchez’s work habits are not good, saying he’s not spending a lot of time at the Jets headquarters. Sanchez said he works as hard as he can and his teammates and coaches would back him up.

“It’s his opinion,” Sanchez said. “There’s bigger things going on right now than being worried about that. I’m not worried about it.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/sanchez_says_jets_can_play_like_KZGuwiGWdLCuXONrm4o20N#ixzz1fCD9cbVK

Sanchez: No playoffs unless O improves

November, 29, 2011

Nov 29

7:06

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

You can't accuse Mark Sanchez of being indecisive on this read. The subject was whether the Jets can make the playoffs if the offense plays like it did Sunday against the Bills, and he replied without hesitation.

"Not a chance," the Jets' QB said Tuesday on The Michael Kay Show on 1050 ESPN Radio. “Not even close."

Sanchez mentioned how the Jets were outperformed in several statistical categories by the Bills, adding that their probability of winning a game like that was about 30 percent or less

"You can’t win like that," he said. "That’s not a winning formula."

But the Jets did win, 28-24, scoring the game-winning TD on a Sanchez-to-Santonio Holmes pass with 1:01 remaining in the game. It was an uneven day for Sanchez -- that's an understatement -- as he threw a career-high four touchdown passes but completed only 17 of 35 passes for 180 yards and an interception.

Sanchez became only the third QB since 1999 to have four TD passes in a game with less than a 50-percent completion rate.

"There’s no excuse for that," he said, adding, "No, I don’t think I played very well."

Rex Ryan gushed about Sanchez after the game, a significant change from last week, when he pulled his QB out of practice for a few snaps in a not-so-veiled motivational ploy. That irked Sanchez, who nevertheless took the high road.

Asked if he believes Ryan has lost confidence in him, Sanchez replied, "I don’t know. I don’t think so. I mean, you have to ask them. I hope not. I don’t think that’s the case. I’m confident in myself. I know we can win these games. I know we have the personnel and the coaching, everything we need in this building to win."

Sanchez sounded down. He admitted as much, mentioning his parents recently asked if he felt okay.

"I feel good, physically and mentally," he said. "I'm just so focused (because) I want this to go right, because I don’t want to miss an opportunity like this, with this kind of talent and this kind of coaching. I'm usually -- 'bubbly' is not the word -- but I smile a lot more. We’re short on time here, and there’s no time to mess around or smile or even laugh, in my opinion."

Sanchez refused to comment on his late-game outburst on the sideline. After the go-ahead TD, he was caught on camera, yelling a few words to someone on the sideline -- a side to him rarely seen. Thing is, you couldn't tell who was on the receiving end of his ire, and he wasn't giving it up.

At first, Sanchez said he didn't remember the incident, but it was clear that he did. Pressed, he finally said, "I'd rather not talk about it ... There are multiple points in the game where I was upset … You leave it there, you leave it on the field."

Cook goes to Ravens on waivers

November, 29, 2011

Nov 29

5:43

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Backup S Emanuel Cook, whom the Jets released Monday in a surprising and curious move, was claimed on waivers Tuesday by the Ravens.

To replace Cook, the Jets signed S Tracy Wilson from their practice squad, which was expected.

The Jets didn't give a reason for cutting Cook, a contributor on special teams, but sources said it stemmed from an incident that occurred Monday at the team's conditioning workout.

Plaxico controlling the red zone

November, 29, 2011

Nov 29

4:51

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets signed Plaxico Burress, in large part, because they felt he'd be a weapon inside the opponents' 20. So far, he has delivered. He scored on a 14-yard catch against the Bills, giving him six red-zone receptions for TDs.

Here are the team leaders, per ESPN Stats & Information:

Most Red Zone Rec TD in a Season

Wayne Chrebet (2002) ....... 9

Art Powell (1960) ............... 7

Plaxico Burress (2011) ........ 6

Six other six-TD seasons: Laveranues Coles (2008), Wayne Chrebet (2000), Keyshawn Johnson (1998), Mickey Shuler (1985), Mickey Shuler (1984), Jerome Barkum (1981).

Full of bluster, Ryan oversells Jets’ talent

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 5:02 AM, November 30, 2011

Posted: 2:01 AM, November 30, 2011

More icon_print.gif Print

brian_costello.pngBrian Costello

Follow Brian on Twitter

Blog: Jets

ON THE JETS

Rex Ryan sold you a lemon.

Like a used car salesman promising you that “pre-owned” Pacer would drive like a BMW, Ryan told everyone this was the Jets’ year. His opening line on Aug. 1, when training camp began, was about how much better this year’s roster was than the previous two he coached.

Instead, the Jets sputtered out of the lot.

“I think this is the best roster that we’ve had since we’ve been here and everything that I’ve said in the past is still in play,” he said, referring to his Super Bowl guarantees.

Ryan was either lying or badly misjudged the talent Mike Tannenbaum assembled. The 2011 Jets are not as good as their predecessors under Ryan the past two years.

30.1s068.costellomain.C.ta--300x300.jpg

Getty Images

COOL YOUR JETS: Rex Ryan vastly over-rated the Jets’ talent when he said before the season that this would be the most talented team he’s coached in his three seasons here.

That is why this year’s team is not about to go on a run to the AFC Championship Game like those two did. The Jets have suffered an identity problem all season, never establishing just who exactly they are and exerting their will.

The Jets still might make the playoffs by default. The AFC has three good teams, three bad teams and 10 teams hovering around mediocrity. The Jets don’t have any games against an elite team left on their schedule. A 10-6 finish is probable and an 11-5 finish is possible.

But even if the Jets do make the tournament, there is no reason, other than their recent history, to think they will win a game. If you think the last two years matter, then you probably think the Butler basketball team is going to the Final Four again.

These Jets simply are not as good as those teams the past two years. The only reason people thought they would be was Ryan’s sales job. He is convincing when he stands before the cameras and tells everyone the Jets belong among the NFL’s elite. His team has not backed up his words, though.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has a mantra of “under-promise and over-deliver.” The Jets have taken the opposite approach. Ryan has pumped his team up as a Super Bowl contender since last season ended. The product on the field though has shown a team that is like most teams in the NFL — average.

People are concentrating on the five remaining opponents for the Jets and how poor their records are. That’s a good thing because the Jets have shown no ability to beat a good team this year.

Take a look at the Jets’ six wins this year. Which one is the signature victory the Jets can point to with pride? The Cowboys are the only team the Jets beat that currently has a winning record. The Jaguars and Dolphins have struggled to get wins. The Bills, whom the Jets beat twice, and the Chargers looked like contenders when the Jets played them but have shown since they were frauds.

t is hard to figure out where Ryan came up with the idea this year’s team had better personnel than last year. The Jets lost key players like Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Damien Woody, Tony Richardson, Kris Jenkins and Shaun Ellis. The only veteran addition they made was Plaxico Burress.

Ryan’s biggest misjudgment was the development of two third-year players he gave big roles to this year — Mark Sanchez and Shonn Greene. Ryan named Sanchez a captain and Greene his “bell-cow” back. Neither has delivered. Sanchez has shown no consistency and Greene has been stuck in neutral most of the year.

COOL YOUR JETS: Rex Ryan vastly over-rated the Jets’ talent when he said before the season that this would be the most talented team he’s coached in his three seasons here.

“The strides that I see Mark taking are huge,” Ryan said of Sanchez in August.

Ryan’s premonition never came true. Sanchez has plateaued in his third year. The truth is this team was flawed from the start. People failed to see it because of Ryan’s sales job.

Is it too late to get your money back?

Leonhard: Back off Sanchez

The love affair between the Jets and their fans is on shaky ground these days. Safety Jim Leonhard was the latest Jet to be critical of the MetLife Stadium crowd yesterday.

In an interview with WFAN, Leonhard took issue with the fans booing quarterback Mark Sanchez during pregame introductions Sunday.

“I think we have a great crowd,” Leonhard said. “I think probably for one of the first times, I was kind of disappointed. Our starting quarterback gets booed in introductions. It’s kind of one of those things, that’s frustrating when ... as players, you kind of turn to each other and say, ‘You know what? I guess we’re in this one today by ourselves. We can’t rely on the crowd to give us that energy because it’s already started out on a bad note.’ So I will say that this past weekend was really the first time that I’ve been kind of frustrated going into a game, which is bad.”

Last week, Bart Scott told the Post’s George Willis the home fans were “discouraging” with some of the things they yell at the players. Sanchez always says he understands the boos but has made a few references indicating that the boos bother him more than he lets on.

The Jets have two remaining home games. They face the Chiefs on Dec. 11 and the Giants on Christmas Eve. If they lose either game, things could get even uglier in East Rutherford.

* At least one person around the Jets acknowledged Sanchez played poorly Sunday — Sanchez himself.

The Jets quarterback was critical of himself during his weekly paid interview with 1050 ESPN yesterday. Sanchez threw four touchdowns, including a last-minute game-winner in the 28-24 win over the Bills, but had a rough outing overall.

“That’s not a winning formula,” Sanchez said. “It wasn’t a great performance. We made plays when we needed to. When you look at the stat line — under 50 percent there’s no excuse for that ... No, I don’t think I played very well.”

It’s good to hear Sanchez being honest. On Monday, Jets coach Rex Ryan said Sanchez is playing well and is one of the team’s strengths. It’s hard to back that argument up.

Sanchez was asked if the Jets will make the playoffs with another performance like Sunday’s.

“Not a chance,” he said. “Not even close. We play like that again ... I think our chances of winning the game were probably somewhere in the 20, 30 percent chance. You can’t win a game like that.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/fool_bold_Tr44n9AFXXDNk6fQMQoK0O#ixzz1fCFUrLNH

Scouting the Redskins

November, 30, 2011

Nov 30

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

On Sunday, the Jets travel to the Washington D.C. area to face an unfamiliar opponent -- the Redskins, whom they haven't played since 2007. The Jets are 1-8 against them. A few quick observations:

1. So far, Mike Shanahan hasn't been the answer. The Redskins (4-7) snapped a six-game losing streak, their longest since 1998, with a come-from-behind win in Seattle, 23-17. The Redskins have defeated only one team with a winning record, and it came on opening day -- the Giants (6-5), who may not have a winning record for much longer.

2. Shanahan is discovering it's tough to win when you don't have John Elway. He started the season with Rex Grossman, went to John Beck (0-3) and returned to Grossman (4-4). Grossman is mediocre, at best. He's the 28th-rated passer (73.6) and he tends to struggle in the red zone (three interceptions). Come to think of it, he struggles pretty much everywhere.

3. Rookie RB Roy Helu, a fourth-round pick out of Nebraska, has injected some life into the offense. He rushed for a career-high 108 yards against the Seahawks, adding seven catches. You have to consider him a two-way threat because of his ability to run after the catch. His YAC average is 8.2, 18th in the league.

4. The Redskins' biggest threat in the passing game is TE Fred Davis, the type of weapon that could hurt the Jets' secondary. Davis already has 13 receptions of 20+ yards. They also have old friend Santana Moss, the Jets' No. 1 pick in 2001. Once a feared vertical threat, Moss has lost speed and no longer is an impact player.

5. The Jets' offensive line, coming off its most complete game, faces one of the best pass-rushing teams in the league. The Redskins have 33 sacks, tied for third in the league. Most of their pressure comes from the edges, OLBs Brian Orakpo and rookie Ryan Kerrigan (six sacks apiece). They like to blitz out of their 3-4 base. In fact, they've used 5+ pass rushers on 43 percent of the passing plays.

6. Wonder if CB DeAngelo Hall will have anything to say to Rex Ryan. You may recall that during an episode of "Hard Knocks" in 2010, Ryan (miked, of course), yells to Hall during a pre-season game: "Hey, you ain't gonna tackle nobody. What are you taking about? That's why my brother got rid of your a$$." In Oakland, he meant, where Rob Ryan used to be the defensive coordinator.

Jets look ahead to Redskins

Wednesday November 30, 2011, 6:43 AM

The Record

Print | E-mail

Jets (6-5) vs. Redskins (4-7)

At FedEx Field

Sunday, 1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2; Radio: ESPN-AM 1050

Early line: Jets by 3

This begins a stretch of at least three games against teams that will have losing records when the Jets face them. However, after Sunday’s near debacle against depleted, reeling Buffalo, nothing looks easy for the Jets anymore. Not even Washington, which broke a six-game losing streak with a victory over Seattle on Sunday. The Redskins are 2-3 at home, but took visiting Dallas to overtime Nov. 20 before losing. Journeyman Rex Grossman has 10 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions, but threw a 50-yard scoring pass to WR Anthony Armstrong on Sunday for the eventual game-winner.

On the hot seat

Mike Westhoff: It certainly must be galling to the savvy but emotional special teams coordinator that the Jets have five lost fumbles or muffs on punt and kickoff returns, including one in each of the last three games. The latest misadventure occurred Sunday, when CB Antonio Cromartie, filling in for a temporarily injured Jim Leonhard, botched a fair catch and Buffalo recovered. With the Jets being so inconsistent on offense and defense, they have very little margin for error and can’t afford these gaffes.

Game plan

The Jets likely will try to establish the run against a Washington defense allowing 4.1 yards per carry. Shonn Greene averaged 6 yards per attempt Sunday against Buffalo despite playing through a painful rib injury. He figures to be a little healthier for this game. QB Mark Sanchez will have to play smart against a defense that has 33 sacks, but only eight interceptions — one of the reasons the Redskins are minus-11 in takeaways. The Jets’ defense must be mindful of rookie Roy Helu, who has emerged as the Redskins’ featured back. He rushed for 108 yards against the Seahawks

—J.P. Pelzman

Pelzman: Revis says it wasn't that bad

Wednesday November 30, 2011, 6:43 AM

The Record

The lasting images of Stevie Johnson's touchdown reception Sunday have been well-documented.

However, one snapshot immediately before his idiotic, costly celebration spoke volumes about the frustration the Jets felt that day, despite their victory over Buffalo.

Superstar cornerback Darrelle Revis was in a very unusual position for him, sitting on the turf, obviously wondering about what had just taken place. He had made a very unusual mistake for him, backing off from Johnson just before the snap and giving him plenty of cushion to catch a 5-yard slant from Ryan Fitzpatrick for the score.

That was one of eight receptions Johnson had against Revis on Sunday. Johnson also had three catches against him in the earlier meeting between the teams, including a 52-yarder that could have gone for a touchdown if safety Brodney Pool hadn't tackled him after Revis whiffed.

Johnson had only 75 yards receiving Sunday, a number that comforted Revis and coach Rex Ryan, both of whom pointed to the fact that Johnson caught a lot of short passes.

"It was a lot of underneath throws," Revis said Monday. "He caught 5-, 7-, 10-yard catches. In our defense, we can live with that. We move on. The one thing we really focus on is getting beat deep.

That's the thing."

Well, the touchdown still counted, even though it was an underneath pass. And the deeper slant Johnson got free on, but dropped the ball around the 25, would have gone for a big gain and perhaps a game-winning touchdown in the waning seconds.

"Brett Favre threw interceptions before," Revis said. "You've got to look at it as you're not going to have a perfect game all the time. You're not going to have your best game all the time. I've had horrible games in the past. You've got to live with the good ones and you've got to live with the bad ones. Looking at the film, was it that bad? No, it wasn't."

Revis is right. It wasn't that bad, but it was out of character for a player who otherwise has been almost impeccable this season. That second-quarter touchdown is the first Revis has allowed since Oct. 17, 2010. Revis had 22 consecutive games, counting playoffs, of not allowing a score.

Perhaps this simply is a case of it being a favorable matchup for Johnson, for whatever reason. (Remember, former Met Joe McEwing hit .308 lifetime against Randy Johnson, with four doubles and a homer.) The Jets could live with that, as opposed to an opponent suddenly discovering an exploitable weakness in Revis' seemingly impenetrable armor.

So for them to fulfill their goal of making the playoffs, this cannot be the start of a trend. The way the Jets' defense is constituted, it is almost dependent on Revis to be his normal, perfect self throughout the game, especially with Antonio Cromartie still playing somewhat inconsistently at the other corner. The Jets still don't generate a consistent enough pass rush to take the pressure off their secondary, so Revis must constantly disconnect receivers from their quarterbacks as if they were so many Mike Francesas.

It's certainly not fair to hold Revis to such a superhuman standard every Sunday. But that is the reality for the Jets. Otherwise, the 2011 season could slip through their fingers, much the way that pass sifted through Johnson's hands.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Morning take: Patriots don't miss Manning

November, 30, 2011

Nov 30

8:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Wednesday in the AFC East:

• The New England Patriots do not miss Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning.

Morning take: Tom Brady and Manning have had classic battles for a long time but can do without it this season because of Manning's neck injury. Manning against New England's inconsistent pass defense would not have been a good matchup for the Patriots.

Morning take: If the season ended today, Miami would own the fifth overall pick. I think a quarterback of the future is a must. But it could come down to the roster evaluation and philosophy if there is a new regime.

Morning take: Any time you guarantee a Super Bowl, there's a high probability of falling short. Ryan probably regrets saying that, especially since this team would be fortunate if it makes the playoffs.

• Buffalo Bills receiver Brad Smith is starting to produce.

Morning take: The Bills made Smith one of their big offseason acquisitions and then seemed unsure of how to use him. Smith had his best game at receiver Sunday against Jets. It took a contest against his former team to jumpstart his season.

Plaxico controlling the red zone

November, 29, 2011

Nov 29

4:51

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets signed Plaxico Burress, in large part, because they felt he'd be a weapon inside the opponents' 20. So far, he has delivered. He scored on a 14-yard catch against the Bills, giving him six red-zone receptions for TDs.

Here are the team leaders, per ESPN Stats & Information:

Most Red Zone Rec TD in a Season

Wayne Chrebet (2002) ....... 9

Art Powell (1960) ............... 7

Plaxico Burress (2011) ........ 6

Six other six-TD seasons: Laveranues Coles (2008), Wayne Chrebet (2000), Keyshawn Johnson (1998), Mickey Shuler (1985), Mickey Shuler (1984), Jerome Barkum (1981).

Shoot... Plax is the man.

5. Eric Smith/Brodney Pool

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said the coaches needed to do a better job of monitoring Smith’s defensive snaps, since he plays such a heavy special-teams load. With Pool back in the line-up, after missing the past two games with a knee injury, the Jets were able to do that. Smith had played every defensive snap at Denver last week, 56 in total. But against the Bills, Smith played about 47 of 70 defensive snaps, by an unofficial count. Pool played about 46 snaps (some personnel groups called for both safeties on the field).

LOL... what a nice way of saying "Eric Smith ******* sucks and we need to drag his stupid, tripping-on-nothing a$$ off the field as much as humanly possible."

Wednesday Injury Report

November, 30, 2011

Nov 30

4:09

PM ET

By Jane McManus

Official Wednesday injury report

JETS

Did not practice: DL Mike DeVito (knee).

Limited: OL Vlad Ducasse (knee).

Full: DL Marcus Dixon (shoulder), RB Shonn Greene (rib), WR Jeremy Kerley (knee), OL Nick Mangold (ankle), LB Calvin Pace (groin), DB Brodney Pool (knee), OL Matt Slauson (knee), RB LaDainian Tomlinson (knee).

BILLS

Did not practice: DE Stephen Bowen (knee), LB London Fletcher (ankle), S LaRon Landry (groin), FB Darrel Young (head).

Limited: T Jammal Brown (hip), LB Brian Orakpo (ankle), WR Niles Paul (toe).

Full: S DeJon Gomes (knee), QB Rex Grossman (left shoulder), G Maurice Hurt (knee), WR Donte Stallworth (foot).

Wednesday Injury Report

November, 30, 2011

Nov 30

4:09

PM ET

By Jane McManus

Official Wednesday injury report

JETS

Did not practice: DL Mike DeVito (knee).

Limited: OL Vlad Ducasse (knee).

Full: DL Marcus Dixon (shoulder), RB Shonn Greene (rib), WR Jeremy Kerley (knee), OL Nick Mangold (ankle), LB Calvin Pace (groin), DB Brodney Pool (knee), OL Matt Slauson (knee), RB LaDainian Tomlinson (knee).

BILLS

Did not practice: DE Stephen Bowen (knee), LB London Fletcher (ankle), S LaRon Landry (groin), FB Darrel Young (head).

Limited: T Jammal Brown (hip), LB Brian Orakpo (ankle), WR Niles Paul (toe).

Full: S DeJon Gomes (knee), QB Rex Grossman (left shoulder), G Maurice Hurt (knee), WR Donte Stallworth (foot).

LOL

Just noticed. They gave us the Bills injury report

Normally fresh down the stretch, Jets RB Shonn Greene deals with bruised ribs

Published: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 3:28 PM Updated: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 4:03 PM

8487074.png By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10299420-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerShonn Greene ran for 78 yards on 13 carries in Sunday's 28-24 win over Buffalo.

Rex Ryan always touted Shonn Greene as a running back built for November, December and January.

But back then, Greene was not asked to shoulder the load like he has this season.

And after another performance Sunday where Greene (bruised ribs) had to grind through, he said this is the most banged up he's ever been this late in a season.

"I was always fresh, you know, because we had (Thomas) Jones and (LaDainian Tomlinson)," Greene, a full participant in practice today, said. "It's not new but, just a different -- you know, just playing hurt."

The pain is concentrated on the right side of Greene's ribs, an injury he sustained against the Broncos, forcing him out for the remainder of that game. Now, Greene wears a special shirt underneath his pads that comes equipped with carbon-fiber plates on both sides of his rib cage.

He said that he's been getting treatment twice a day but that his ribs will be an issue "as long as we keep playing." He did not think the ribs were re-aggravated against Buffalo, though.

"They're doing alright, just a little sore. But the season ain't over so I still gotta play," Greene said.

On Monday, Ryan credited Greene with a gutsy performance, saying that he was reminiscent of Jim Brown with the way he was getting up slowly, but able to play through pain.

The only Jet missing practice today was Mike DeVito (knee). Backup OL Vlad Ducasse (knee) was limited.

WR Jeremy Kerley (knee) and RB LaDainian Tomlinson (knee) both practiced today, ending a stretch of almost two weeks off to the side with the team's training staff.

"I think (they) looked really really good out there," Ryan said. "They look fresh and ready to roll, so that's a good sign."

DL Marcus Dixon (shoulder), C Nick Mangold (ankle), OLB Calvin Pace (groin), S Brodney Pool (knee), G Matt Slauson (knee) were full.

Archived