Mort: Jets will revamp offensive coaching staff

Maxman

Mort: Jets will revamp offensive coaching staff

Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2012, 11:44 AM EST

sachezschottenheimer-e1325436191187.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

The Jets quietly will assess in the offseason, if their candlelight vigil fails to result in a playoff berth, the status of quarterback Mark Sanchez.

According to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, the Jets also will revamp the offensive coaching staff.

Mort reports that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer could be fired, despite being owed $3.2 million through 2013. Mort suggests that Chargers coach Norv Turner and Rams offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, if either is available, could be pursued.

So what does any of this mean for Ryan, who has in the past week strongly endorsed both Sanchez and Schottenheimer? If Ryan wants to keep Schottenheimer and those above him in the organization want to move on, would Rex draw a line in the sand that could prompt his own ouster? He wouldn’t be the first head coach to leave a team based on a refusal to endorse the firing of an assistant coach.

In the end, Rex may have to choose between voting with his feet or once again eating his words.

I don't think Rex actually likes Schottenheimer. I mean, he wants a run-first offense, and while the personnel isn't perfect for that right now Schottenheimer's basically crapped all over that and is passing the ball all over the field, and doing it incredibly ineffectively at that.

He's just got to say that he does publicly, because Schottenheimer's under contract next season and it's apparently not a lock that he's gone. He'll cause a lot more of a stir saying that he doesn't like him than saying that he does, and it would be a huge issue if he actually does come back.

some genius posted about a power struggle yesterday. I can see rex punching tanny righ in the mouth !

mcdaniels would be epically stupid tho, he throws it more than anyone, and turner is a retread. give me a rising young star from an offense that runs it

the 9ers did what the jets used to do, protect the QB by running it. maybe promote their guy ? I don't think we could get their OC, maybe ther best guy off of their staff ?

Archived