Our new outside LB coach

F.Chowds

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

Sources: First coaching move by Jets: Intern Mike Smith, who was instrumental in reviving A. Maybin's career, will be hired as new OLB coach

Unknown Jets assistant behind Maybin's success

MANISH MEHTA

Saturday, December 10, 2011

They celebrated together with a mid-air shoulder bump on the sideline. When Aaron Maybin sacked Redskins’ quarterback Rex Grossman to seal a Jets victory last week, he wanted to share the moment with the man that has helped revive his career.

Mike Smith’s name doesn’t appear anywhere on the Jets’ official roster, a list that includes 19 coaches on staff. He’s not on the team’s website. To most Jets fans, he doesn’t exist.

As a coaching intern, Smith beats the sun to work each day, doing “the grunt work,” Rex Ryan says, electronically diagramming plays for the defensive game-plans, helping defensive coordinator Mike Pettine run meetings, logging up to 20 hours a day, pitching in any way he can.pixel.gif

Smith, 30, gets a nominal paycheck every couple weeks. He lives rent-free in Pettine’s townhouse near the team facility.

He’s also Maybin’s de facto personal coach, spending countless hours helping the former Bills first-round pick find his way.

“Without him, I’d probably be a fish without fins in the open sea,” says Maybin, who is an NFL Comeback Player of the Year candidate with his team-high six sacks and four forced fumbles in nine games. “He understands me better than any of my coaches since I was in college. He’s one of the biggest reasons I’m doing what I’m doing now.”

Smith is the bridge between Pettine and Maybin, part-tutor, part-mentor, streamlining information for the outside linebacker to digest. Smith conveys the same techniques and lessons that Ryan and Pettine taught him when he played linebacker for the Ravens for two seasons.

“He’s a relentless worker,” Pettine says. “He knows the system. He’s played in it. That’s one of the reasons why it was a natural draw for him to come here. He’s one of us.”

Smith is always willing to provide insight. When Maybin missed an opportunity for a sack on Tom Brady earlier this season, Smith noticed that the player was unusually quiet after the game. Maybin couldn’t sleep that night.

He sent Smith a text at 3 a.m.: “It’ll never happen again. I will make it up to you next week.”

“I believe in second chances,” Smith says. “He looks at me and knows that I’d do anything for him and he’d do anything for me. I believe in him. In Buffalo, nobody believed in him.”

They’re an unlikely pair. Somehow, a coaching intern from west Texas and a former first-round disappointment from Baltimore have ignited the Jets’ pass rush.

TheJetsStream Manish Mehta

Sources: First coaching move by Jets: Intern Mike Smith, who was instrumental in reviving A. Maybin's career, will be hired as new OLB coach

Unknown Jets assistant behind Maybin's success

MANISH MEHTA

Saturday, December 10, 2011

They celebrated together with a mid-air shoulder bump on the sideline. When Aaron Maybin sacked Redskins’ quarterback Rex Grossman to seal a Jets victory last week, he wanted to share the moment with the man that has helped revive his career.

Mike Smith’s name doesn’t appear anywhere on the Jets’ official roster, a list that includes 19 coaches on staff. He’s not on the team’s website. To most Jets fans, he doesn’t exist.

As a coaching intern, Smith beats the sun to work each day, doing “the grunt work,” Rex Ryan says, electronically diagramming plays for the defensive game-plans, helping defensive coordinator Mike Pettine run meetings, logging up to 20 hours a day, pitching in any way he can.pixel.gif

Smith, 30, gets a nominal paycheck every couple weeks. He lives rent-free in Pettine’s townhouse near the team facility.

He’s also Maybin’s de facto personal coach, spending countless hours helping the former Bills first-round pick find his way.

“Without him, I’d probably be a fish without fins in the open sea,” says Maybin, who is an NFL Comeback Player of the Year candidate with his team-high six sacks and four forced fumbles in nine games. “He understands me better than any of my coaches since I was in college. He’s one of the biggest reasons I’m doing what I’m doing now.”

Smith is the bridge between Pettine and Maybin, part-tutor, part-mentor, streamlining information for the outside linebacker to digest. Smith conveys the same techniques and lessons that Ryan and Pettine taught him when he played linebacker for the Ravens for two seasons.

“He’s a relentless worker,” Pettine says. “He knows the system. He’s played in it. That’s one of the reasons why it was a natural draw for him to come here. He’s one of us.”

Smith is always willing to provide insight. When Maybin missed an opportunity for a sack on Tom Brady earlier this season, Smith noticed that the player was unusually quiet after the game. Maybin couldn’t sleep that night.

He sent Smith a text at 3 a.m.: “It’ll never happen again. I will make it up to you next week.”

“I believe in second chances,” Smith says. “He looks at me and knows that I’d do anything for him and he’d do anything for me. I believe in him. In Buffalo, nobody believed in him.”

They’re an unlikely pair. Somehow, a coaching intern from west Texas and a former first-round disappointment from Baltimore have ignited the Jets’ pass rush.

Archived