Kenrick Ellis and Quintin Coples look like monsters in the making.

SenorGato

I love how Rex is keeping his foot on Coples' neck. That's a real change for him and hopefully it's a sign of things to come. The next test will be blowing up a vet coughholmes who acts up.

Agreed, but I think the DL is probably the easiest spot for him to do that, so I'll be curious to see how it goes when something needs to be done elsewhere on the team. Rex has always had an easier time being a bit more critical of the D and, with the exception of Gholston, the DL is probably the unit he's hardest on. Now granted, this situation with Coples surpasses anything he's done with anyone else in the past, but my point is that's probably his most comfortable area.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont have coples' preseason stats handy but he's been everywhere. Deflected passes, sacks, hurries, forced fumbles, the guy has been super productive in the 3 preseason games he's played so far. What's not to like?

1) i was referring to your dbrick retort, i am not a bama homer, Barron was picked way too high. same for kareem the year before.

2) Coples vs Bungles, did nothing vs 1st string, had some good plays vs scrubs

Coples vs Gmen didnt notice much at all

Coples vs Car same as Gmen, the newton play was more a Cam brainfart

He has a chance to be a good player, wont be a JPP type though.

Never said he was a bad pick, there was a reason why he slipped, time will tell on this one.

3) Steven Hill aint ready for NFL, hands are not great, i believe Cordy Glenn is starting for Jillies, that was the right pick for Jets and i still believe

Decastro was right pick.

Jets coach Rex Ryan criticized first-round pick Quinton Coples after Sunday’s loss to the Panthers, but praised the rookie Tuesday.

Ryan said Sunday Coples had a “woe is me” attitude when he remained in the game after the veteran starters exited. But Ryan said he has no concerns about Coples’ attitude or readiness.

“No, absolutely not,” Ryan said. “I just gave a very honest deal on him. I just saw him get that puppy-dog look or whatever. I also saw the puppy-dog barks a lot. He’s got some bite to him. He’s had three sacks. Every game he’s had a sack.

“The guy’s a tremendous player, a tremendous athlete. It’s just that he’s got to understand he’s a rookie. He’s going to play. He’s going to play against Philly. That’s just the way it is.”

Coples said he was unaware of Ryan’s postgame remarks, but said the coaches did speak to him during the game about his demeanor.

“It was just a situation where I didn’t come off as good as I should have,” Coples said. “My coach has a lot of expectations for me, so at the end of the day he’s going to coach me to the best of his ability.”

Coples’ pass-rushing ability has been apparent, but Ryan said Coples has also done well against the run.

“I think he’s doing tremendous against the run,” Ryan said. “When you look at it he’s made a lot of plays. He missed a tackle the other day in the backfield. He’s an athlete and can get off blocks.

“He’s a hard guy to block because is so athletic. He’s strong as an ox. He’s going to be kind of like [Muhammad Wilkerson], where Mo can do both — rush the passer and play the run. I think Quinton’s the same way.”

Knowing he made a mistake Sunday, Coples said he’s prepared to play every snap tomorrow in Philadelphia.

Yep yep...

Archived