offer to Cumberland (TE)

whodeawhodat

The Jets have made a qualifying offer to restricted free agent Jeff Cumberland, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. Those people requested anonymity because the Jets to not make offers public.

According to one person with knowledge of the deal, the Jets came in with a low-level tender that will cost the team $1.32 million.

If another team tries to sign Cumberland, the Jets will also get an opportunity to match the offer but will not get a compensatory pick if he bolts elsewhere.

With Dustin Keller battling a series of injuries last year, Cumberland started 12 games while hauling in 29 catches for 359 yards and three touchdowns.

The move also continues to cloud the future of Keller, an unrestricted free agent.

Cumberland is one of two restricted free agents to keep an eye on this offseason. The Jets have also been in discussions with right tackle Austin Howard, according to a person with knowledge of the conversations who requested anonymity. Howard was a pleasant surprise last season and, with his combination of size and speed, could be an intriguing candidate on the open market.

Glad to hear it.  I think Cumberland has potential and he's a better 3 down TE than Keller and probably cheaper.  Austin is one of those guys who can help with the salary cap and be a solid starter.

I suspect we'll see a lot of these lower end cheap signings.

I thought they were going to give him the higher tender so they would get a pick back.  FWIW, this doesn't make it seem they are so fired up to keep Cumberland unless they just plan to match. No mention on the tender for Howard?  I guess they are trying to go more long-term with his deal.

Archived