Cimini: Jarvis Jones

flgreen

If I hated Chance you all would love him. It's like opposite day around here. 

3 months ago I would have bet money that Jarvis Jones doesn't get past the Jets at 9. 

Now i'm not so sure. On one hand, if he did run that 4.6 everyone was looking for, he could go top 5. But on the other hand, 4.9 is an awful linebacker time. Just sh*tty. Sharrif Floyd is faster than that and he's 60 pounds heavier.

I'm torn on this player, I believe he will be an instant starter and maybe even the safest best for Defensive Rookie of the year. But I also believe the Jets would pass on him at this point.  the stenosis doesn't worry me (gronk has stenosis as do many other productive players). What worries me is that the production he got in college won't be there in the pros. If it takes 4.5 seconds to get a sack, in the NFL a Non-Sanchez QB has thrown the ball by 2.5 seconds. 

Actually, you're the one who usually goes against the majority and beat your point across until that poor horse can't even stand anymore.

I am no expert at the draft nor do i play one on TeeVee but the least I would expect is that my team's 1st round Top 10 pick does not have a paragraph worth of red flags!

Spinal stenosis means the BEST case scenario is he can play for 4-5 seasons max before he is shut down! And considering he is not a beastly impact player I would be even more skeptic.

I won't be surprised if he falls into the 2nd round if the JETS do not draft him!

Jarvis Jones never had spinal stenosis according to doctor

By JasonBon Mar 10 2013, 12:33p@BleedingGreen143

Stay connectedfor news and updates

Georgia LB Jarvis Jones has gotten maybe the best news of his career. According to Dam Pompei, leading orthopedist Craig Brigham has examined Jones and concluded that he never had the spinal stenosis he was diagnosed with in college.

When Jones originally went to play for USC, doctors there diagnosed him with with degenerative spinal condition and would not allow him to play football. He subsequently transferred to Georgia, where he played for 2 incredibly productive seasons and suffered no ill effects.

However, the fear was that the spinal stenosis was something that could crop up at any time and could potentially cut his NFL career short. But Brigham feels that the initial diagnosis was just wrong and that he " had a very mild incident of spinal cord concussion or merely a stinger that has long since resolved."

Jones now has a clean bill of health and his "cleared to play without restriction." He did not work out at the combine, but says he will work out at the Georgia pro day on March 21st.

"The doctor said I was fine and cleared me and the combine went fine for me," Jones told the media before an Atlanta Braves spring training game earlier this month. "I was cleared medically. Teams know my situation. Everything went great. I did everything they asked me to do. I’ll have my pro day, and then I’m going to meet with a whole lot of teams."

Jones had 44 tackles for a loss and 28 sacks over his time at Georgia and with this medical diagnosis figures to be a top 10-15 pick.

Jarvis Jones never had spinal stenosis according to doctor

By JasonBon Mar 10 2013, 12:33p@BleedingGreen143

Stay connectedfor news and updates

Georgia LB Jarvis Jones has gotten maybe the best news of his career. According to Dam Pompei, leading orthopedist Craig Brigham has examined Jones and concluded that he never had the spinal stenosis he was diagnosed with in college.

When Jones originally went to play for USC, doctors there diagnosed him with with degenerative spinal condition and would not allow him to play football. He subsequently transferred to Georgia, where he played for 2 incredibly productive seasons and suffered no ill effects.

However, the fear was that the spinal stenosis was something that could crop up at any time and could potentially cut his NFL career short. But Brigham feels that the initial diagnosis was just wrong and that he " had a very mild incident of spinal cord concussion or merely a stinger that has long since resolved."

Jones now has a clean bill of health and his "cleared to play without restriction." He did not work out at the combine, but says he will work out at the Georgia pro day on March 21st.

"The doctor said I was fine and cleared me and the combine went fine for me," Jones told the media before an Atlanta Braves spring training game earlier this month. "I was cleared medically. Teams know my situation. Everything went great. I did everything they asked me to do. I’ll have my pro day, and then I’m going to meet with a whole lot of teams."

Jones had 44 tackles for a loss and 28 sacks over his time at Georgia and with this medical diagnosis figures to be a top 10-15 pick.

That is new info for me. But at this point I would still take it with a grain of salt. Question is who was paying for the doctor's fees ? His agent or the NFL ?

Its very unlikely that a football program would let a player like him get away unless they were very certain the spinal condition was severe. Still some question marks. I still would not take him with a Top 10 pick and not the JETS who need a much more surefire pick.

Maybe someone in the lower 20's can draft him. Those teams have made the playoffs last season and can take some risk with their 1st round pick for a player who can be productive for a season or two and maybe get them over the hump!

That is new info for me. But at this point I would still take it with a grain of salt. Question is who was paying for the doctor's fees ? His agent or the NFL ?

Its very unlikely that a football program would let a player like him get away unless they were very certain the spinal condition was severe. Still some question marks. I still would not take him with a Top 10 pick and not the JETS who need a much more surefire pick.

Maybe someone in the lower 20's can draft him. Those teams have made the playoffs last season and can take some risk with their 1st round pick for a player who can be productive for a season or two and maybe get them over the hump!

Of course not being an Orthopedist I don’t know squat about spinal stenosis except what I have read in relation to Jones.

About a month ago there were articles in most of the papers, and draft blogs about this.  Craig Brigham is apparently, a well known and respected orthopedist.  These guys make quite a bit of money.  Most of it is earned on reputation.

By your response I have to assume you are suggesting that Brigham is being paid off to falsify his diagnosis.  I wonder how much he would have to be paid to destroy his reputation?

Jones’ 40 time worries me more then his medical condition.   Looking at the other pass rushers that might be available at 9 they all have red flags a paragraph long.   The top of which is  a lack of production  against weaker competition then they will face in the NFL.

The WR’s all have red flags.  Bad hands, undersized, ect.

We all have a right  of course, to like one player over another, but I think the medical condition has taken a back seat. 

If Jones is there at 9, I would probably still take him.

Of course not being an Orthopedist I don’t know squat about spinal stenosis except what I have read in relation to Jones.

About a month ago there were articles in most of the papers, and draft blogs about this.  Craig Brigham is apparently, a well known and respected orthopedist.  These guys make quite a bit of money.  Most of it is earned on reputation.

By your response I have to assume you are suggesting that Brigham is being paid off to falsify his diagnosis.  I wonder how much he would have to be paid to destroy his reputation?

Jones’ 40 time worries me more then his medical condition.   Looking at the other pass rushers that might be available at 9 they all have red flags a paragraph long.   The top of which is  a lack of production  against weaker competition then they will face in the NFL.

The WR’s all have red flags.  Bad hands, undersized, ect.

We all have a right  of course, to like one player over another, but I think the medical condition has taken a back seat. 

If Jones is there at 9, I would probably still take him.

I understand the reputation part. But when i put his name in Google all i see is a orthopedic surgeon from Charlotte with a rating of 2.5  to 3 stars out of 5. If that's the guy does not look like he has much reputation to lose!

I understand the reputation part. But when i put his name in Google all i see is a orthopedic surgeon from Charlotte with a rating of 2.5  to 3 stars out of 5. If that's the guy does not look like he has much reputation to lose!

You did notice of course that there were only 13 reviews, and 4 of them that slammed him for being arrogant,  were clearly from the same person.  Imagine that an arrogant surgeon.

Look, I don’t know anything about the guy, or care.  I don’t know anything about who ever it was at USC that sent him home at 19, or care.

I just think it would be  career suicide to fraudgnetly  clear an individual  who is under a national spotlight to play a violent sport like the NFL.

One other thing that you missed in your google search is that he is one of the team surgeons for the Panthers, and is frequently called upon by both the NFL, and NCAA to give expert advise on medical conditions .  Yeah I think he's got some rep at stake here.

This was a very long article so I’m just posting the relevant parts.  Heres the link   

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007091/2/index.htm

September 11, 1995

College Football

Christian Stone

1 2 3

During the ensuing 16 months, however, three doctors reviewed Pahulu's case and said that he should be allowed to play. Robert Watkins of the Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Inglewood, Calif.; Craig Brigham, a team physician for the Carolina Panthers; and Joseph Torg, formerly a team physician for the Philadelphia Eagles, agreed that Pahulu was at a higher risk of a recurrence of transient quadriplegia if he continued playing. But they also said that a player with spinal stenosis was at no greater risk of sustaining a more severe injury, such as permanent quadriplegia, than was a player without the condition. When Munns still refused to allow Pahulu to play after receiving the latest opinion, from Torg a month ago, Pahulu sought a court injunction.

You did notice of course that there were only 13 reviews, and 4 of them that slammed him for being arrogant,  were clearly from the same person.  Imagine that an arrogant surgeon.

Look, I don’t know anything about the guy, or care.  I don’t know anything about who ever it was at USC that sent him home at 19, or care.

I just think it would be  career suicide to fraudgnetly  clear an individual  who is under a national spotlight to play a violent sport like the NFL.

One other thing that you missed in your google search is that he is one of the team surgeons for the Panthers, and is frequently called upon by both the NFL, and NCAA to give expert advise on medical conditions .  Yeah I think he's got some rep at stake here.

This was a very long article so I’m just posting the relevant parts.  Heres the link   

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007091/2/index.htm

September 11, 1995

College Football

Christian Stone

1 2 3

During the ensuing 16 months, however, three doctors reviewed Pahulu's case and said that he should be allowed to play. Robert Watkins of the Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Inglewood, Calif.; Craig Brigham, a team physician for the Carolina Panthers; and Joseph Torg, formerly a team physician for the Philadelphia Eagles, agreed that Pahulu was at a higher risk of a recurrence of transient quadriplegia if he continued playing. But they also said that a player with spinal stenosis was at no greater risk of sustaining a more severe injury, such as permanent quadriplegia, than was a player without the condition. When Munns still refused to allow Pahulu to play after receiving the latest opinion, from Torg a month ago, Pahulu sought a court injunction.

I did not click on the link but i read the excerpt. I am not a doctor nor do i play one on TeeVee. But every doctor can have different opinions and specially in such circumstances a way to provide justifications for that opinion. Now is it just a paid opinion from a hack OR he is an expert who really believes it we will never know. May lend more credence if Panthers were to actually draft Jarvis Jones. Don't u think ?

I am sure  if the JETS are interested in Jones they will have their doctor's look at him and chime in. We will see. But till then as an entity on the outside of this process I would not want the JETS to draft him. Not in the first round.

Archived