Cimini: Jarvis Jones

flgreen

Draft profile: Jarvis Jones, Georgia

April, 5, 2013
Apr 5

5:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

This is the fourth in a series highlighting players who could be selected by the Jets with the ninth overall pick in the April 25 draft:

Player: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

Height/weight: 6-foot-2½, 245 pounds

Scouts, Inc. rating: 14

Draft projection: Ninth to 17th

Scouting report: Jones is the opposite of LSU OLB Barkevious Mingo and Oregon OLB Dion Jordan, both featured previously in this space. By that, I mean Jones was a highly productive college player who tested poorly. He ran a 4.92 40 at his pro day, prompting one scout to tell me, "Athletically, he's as mediocre as you can get, but the guy is a producer." He was an elite playmaker as a 3-4 OLB, combining terrific instincts, strong hands and quick feet. He has a natural feel for rushing the passer, mastering the art of the strip sack. Against Alabama, he ran over all-America G Chance Warmack on one play, according to a scout. Jones is so-so against the run and he doesn't have much experience in pass coverage. He's on the light side for a 3-4 OLB, without much room to grow. That might be a concern for Rex Ryan, who likes his OLBs in the 6-foot-4, 260-pound neighborhood.

Key stats: Nobody did it better in the SEC over the last two seasons. Jones produced 28 sacks, including 14.5 and seven forced fumbles last season even though he missed two games.

Red flags: It's a big one -- reportedly a mild case of stenosis, meaning a narrowing of the spinal column. Jones hurt his neck while playing for USC in 2009 and he transferred because the school's doctors refused to clear him. The condition was confirmed at the scouting combine, with differing opinions on how it will affect his long-term ability to play in the NFL. Once considered a top-10 lock, Jones could slide to the middle of Round 1. In the end, it'll be up to the individual teams and their doctors to determine if they're comfortable with the risk. The Jets are hurting at OLB and could use a player with his skill set, but we're talking about roughly a $12 million guarantee for the No. 9 pick -- perhaps too big a gamble for new GM John Idzik.

In his own words: "I have a slight narrowing in my spine between the C4 and C5 [vertabraes]. Like pretty much everybody -- probably some of y'all have spinal stenosis and don't know it -- I have it. But most of the doctors checked me out and feel that I'm fine. I don't have any contusion or anything like that in it. I only had one incident -- a stinger at USC in '09, my freshman year. I never had any symptoms after that. I played two years of SEC football, red-shirted, practiced every day, never had any symptoms. So I feel that I'm healthy."

If I hated Chance you all would love him. It's like opposite day around here. 

3 months ago I would have bet money that Jarvis Jones doesn't get past the Jets at 9. 

Now i'm not so sure. On one hand, if he did run that 4.6 everyone was looking for, he could go top 5. But on the other hand, 4.9 is an awful linebacker time. Just sh*tty. Sharrif Floyd is faster than that and he's 60 pounds heavier.

I'm torn on this player, I believe he will be an instant starter and maybe even the safest best for Defensive Rookie of the year. But I also believe the Jets would pass on him at this point.  the stenosis doesn't worry me (gronk has stenosis as do many other productive players). What worries me is that the production he got in college won't be there in the pros. If it takes 4.5 seconds to get a sack, in the NFL a Non-Sanchez QB has thrown the ball by 2.5 seconds. 

3 months ago I would have bet money that Jarvis Jones doesn't get past the Jets at 9. 

Now i'm not so sure. On one hand, if he did run that 4.6 everyone was looking for, he could go top 5. But on the other hand, 4.9 is an awful linebacker time. Just sh*tty. Sharrif Floyd is faster than that and he's 60 pounds heavier.

I'm torn on this player, I believe he will be an instant starter and maybe even the safest best for Defensive Rookie of the year. But I also believe the Jets would pass on him at this point.  the stenosis doesn't worry me (gronk has stenosis as do many other productive players). What worries me is that the production he got in college won't be there in the pros. If it takes 4.5 seconds to get a sack, in the NFL a Non-Sanchez QB has thrown the ball by 2.5 seconds. 

2nd round sleeper!?!?!?

Greatest Guard prospect, ever. 

The best since Devike DeHutchipati at least.

What worries me is that the production he got in college won't be there in the pros.

So then why would he be an instant starter or DROY?

Actually given his ability to pick up coverage sacks...Bah, I'll leave it alone.

So then why would he be an instant starter or DROY?

Actually given his ability to pick up coverage sacks...Bah, I'll leave it alone.

in general linebackers are usually DRoy and Jones could have 100 tackles on the weak side. The Droy doesn't usually have 10+ sacks. Kuechly won it last year. 

but I know Jets fans would be sad with that pick cause he's not getting 10+ sacks a year. 

I agree with you here.

A few weeks ago I would have run to the stage with the pick at 9. 

Even though I really don’t put a whole lot of stock in 40 times for front 7 guys, the 4.9 was a bit unsettling.  Think I would still have to go with him, but it would be with a lot less confidence. 

As far as Warmack goes, you laid out a scenario the other day,  that could happen,  Warmack or Austin?  I’d take Warmack

Pity party? And this is bull.  We typically land on similar wants when it comes to the draft and the Jets.  2 years in a row I got the guy I wanted (Coples and Mo Wilk), pretty sure you were in the Coples camp when the dust settled before the draft and if I'm not mistaken you liked Mo Wilk too.

However, I know you're a former OLmen and you tend to favor those prospects in the draft, where as I'm not really a fan of OL in the early rounds (except the year we took DBrick, that was the pick I wanted).  So, we probably dont see eye to eye when you settle on OL 

However, I know you're a former OLmen and you tend to favor those prospects in the draft, where as I'm not really a fan of OL in the early rounds (except the year we took DBrick, that was the pick I wanted).  So, we probably dont see eye to eye when you settle on OL 

gotta go where it's strong. this year it's a strong OL year. Picking Chance at 9 is far less risky than the alternatives.  the draft is not what you or I would do it's about what 1 man John Idzik would do. and so far this guy has taken 0 risks.

in general linebackers are usually DRoy and Jones could have 100 tackles on the weak side. The Droy doesn't usually have 10+ sacks. Kuechly won it last year. 

but I know Jets fans would be sad with that pick cause he's not getting 10+ sacks a year. 

I don't want a 100 tackle guy at 9, I would much prefer the 10 sack guy. They drafted a potential 100 tackle guy in Davis just last year. DROY isn't the prize they should be looking for, though it would be a welcome organic addition to other successes in 2013.

THOSE FOOLS

gotta go where it's strong. this year it's a strong OL year. Picking Chance at 9 is far less risky than the alternatives.  the draft is not what you or I would do it's about what 1 man John Idzik would do. and so far this guy has taken 0 risks.

Its not risky in the sense that he looks like a cant miss prospect but I'd argue its risky for the long term health of the organization to pass on a true impact players who helps win games for a Guard.

Idzik hasnt done sh*t, so you dont know his style is yet...but so far, every single one of his signings have been far from a sure shot.  Its risky to sign nothing but injury riddled players...he's just been smart about the type of contract he's giving said players.  And I'd also argue that flirting with trading a HOF player is risky. 

Its not risky in the sense that he looks like a cant miss prospect but I'd argue its risky for the long term health of the organization to pass on a true impact players who helps win games for a Guard.

the problem with this statement is the "true impact player" 

At this point the Jets need building blocks. If they trade Revis they need even more. these are not gonna be risky picks. We don't know alot about this guy but everyone keeps calling him pragmatic. Taking the best guard is a fairly pragmatic move. 

Taking a receiver who runs in the 4.2s, has no injury history, returns punts and kickoffs, and whose production--especially against elite competition--is video-game-level absurd could also be considered pragmatic.

I like tavon Austin. if the Jets had 2 picks and one of em was Tavon that's great. Its just a shame that the Jets best WR is also a slot guy. 

At this point the Jets need building blocks. If they trade Revis they need even more. these are not gonna be risky picks. We don't know alot about this guy but everyone keeps calling him pragmatic. Taking the best guard is a fairly pragmatic move. 

Why is that a problem?  

Building blocks can be any position for a team that needs players, everywhere. 

I like tavon Austin. if the Jets had 2 picks and one of em was Tavon that's great. Its just a shame that the Jets best WR is also a slot guy.

Austin isn't restricted to the slot. CBs aren't allowed to hold anymore at the LOS. You don't have to put Austin in motion to avoid the jam anymore. This is outdated thinking.

Austin isn't restricted to the slot. CBs aren't allowed to hold anymore at the LOS. You don't have to put Austin in motion to avoid the jam anymore. This is outdated thinking.

Slot receivers draw slot corners. There are certain routes Austin just cant run. The fade route for example. The back shoulder jump ball. the 9 go route. he's not gonna win those battles against taller 1's and 2's. He's fast but there's a reason why Santana Moss and Percy harvin didn't go top 10 either.  to be clear I like this player I just don't have him graded out as highly as some other prospects.

Slot receivers draw slot corners. There are certain routes Austin just cant run. The fade route for example. The back shoulder jump ball. the 9 go route. he's not gonna win those battles against taller 1's and 2's. He's fast but there's a reason why Santana Moss and Percy harvin didn't go top 10 either. to be clear I like this player I just don't have him graded out as highly as some other prospects.

Moss, Harvin, Victor Cruz, Santonio Holmes, Steve Smith, Jeremy Maclin, and DeSean Jackson are all smaller receivers who play outside the hashes.

I am no expert at the draft nor do i play one on TeeVee but the least I would expect is that my team's 1st round Top 10 pick does not have a paragraph worth of red flags!

Spinal stenosis means the BEST case scenario is he can play for 4-5 seasons max before he is shut down! And considering he is not a beastly impact player I would be even more skeptic.

I won't be surprised if he falls into the 2nd round if the JETS do not draft him!

I am no expert at the draft nor do i play one on TeeVee but the least I would expect is that my team's 1st round Top 10 pick does not have a paragraph worth of red flags!

Spinal stenosis means the BEST case scenario is he can play for 4-5 seasons max before he is shut down! And considering he is not a beastly impact player I would be even more skeptic.

I won't be surprised if he falls into the 2nd round if the JETS do not draft him!

Ummmm, he was the definition of beastly impact player in college.

Ummmm, he was the definition of beastly impact player in college.

I am not convinced. And that's just my opinion. You can feel free to have your own.

And considering there are question marks about his health I would still be very very disappointed if we picked him with the #9 pick.

Etc etc ok cool now sign up for the JN mock draft in the draft forum. Kthxbai

I am not convinced. And that's just my opinion. You can feel free to have your own.

And considering there are question marks about his health I would still be very very disappointed if we picked him with the #9 pick.

Convinced of what?  You said he's not a beastly impact player - he was the definition of that in college.  Are you saying he wont be in the NFL?  

Archived