Brad Smith

Smashmouth

It's just a point for discussion at a boring time in the offseason.  Why some of you posters always have to try to act as censors and tell people what kind of threads and discussions we should have is beyond me.  I've seen it on every Jets board I've ever posted on (and this is my 7th or 8th).

Meh, there's plenty to discuss, and this thread had some good back and forth compared to the usual rabble.  Lighten up.

BS You weren't discussing anything. In saying that this thread is an example of how low things have sunk, you weren't creating further discussion, but attempting to stifle discussion. If you can't understand the difference, then you need to go back to school and learn the English language.

What are you twelve? Any Jets fan past puberty understands that being a true Jets fan means acknowledging how snake bitten this franchise is. Only a child would think my comment referred to anything else. While I'm taking my English classes, enjoy waiting for your voice to change and for hair to grow on places other than the top of your (very empty) head. Since it is past your bedtime, I look forward to your response after JV soccer practice tomorrow. Good luck on your pop quiz after home room.

.They always had him running deeper, more complex routes.  I can't recall one single time where they threw him a WR screen, a dump pass in the flat, or used him on an end around and let him run with the ball.  The latter was always reserved for Cotchery, who was the slowest WR on the team and he lost yardage every single time the play was run.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-defense-brad-smith-torch-bengals-26-10-thanksgiving-nightcap-fourth-straight-victory-article-1.452318

Jets wide receiver Brad Smith scores two touchdowns - one on a 53-yard reverse and another on an 89-yard kickoff return in the 4th quarter (above) to cap the Jets' victory over the Bengals.

FWIW...there was at least ONE time.

What are you twelve? Any Jets fan past puberty understands that being a true Jets fan means acknowledging how snake bitten this franchise is. Only a child would think my comment referred to anything else. While I'm taking my English classes, enjoy waiting for your voice to change and for hair to grow on places other than the top of your (very empty) head. Since it is past your bedtime, I look forward to your response after JV soccer practice tomorrow. Good luck on your pop quiz after home room.

If I misunderstood your intent, I apologize. I don't know you, but your post is so similar to countless other posts I've seen over the last 13-15 years on Jets boards, that it might as well have been an exact quote.  That's why I responded as I did.  

In my initial reading of your post, nothing about your post suggested that you were simply commiserating, but were rather seeking to end the discussion as "stupid."  

In reading it again, I see that I may have been wrong.  I was not looking to start a war with you.

FWIW...there was at least ONE time.

Thanks.  Typical for the Jets under Schotty.  Any play that worked and was successful, he never went back to it.  He only repeated plays frequently that usually failed.

Meh, there's plenty to discuss, and this thread had some good back and forth compared to the usual rabble.  Lighten up.

I am light, dude.  Yes, I think there has been some decent discussion in this thread.  I thought jgb was seeking to stifle that discussion.  That's why I responded as I did.  I'm over seeing guys trying to stifle discussion on topics they don't like or disagree with.  Too many guys do that.

1) That's undeniable.  I could be wrong, but I don't think arm strength was the issue with Smith, but maybe I'm wrong.

2) I disagree.  I think he's definitely better than Tebow, and he'd have a difficult time not being better than Sanchez.

3) Again I totally disagree.  Schotty didn't have a clue how to use what "talent " he did have at his disposal.  His playcalling and often his play design, was awful.  He was totally predictable.  He'd call for the wildcat at the end of quarters and halves and whenever Sanchez started to get on a roll and gain some momentum.  He didn't know how to set up plays to succeed.  The only reason he isn't the worst OC in the NFL is because Sparano and a few others are around.  We saw what Smith could do on KORs when he got the ball in his hands.  I can't recall one single time they ever threw a WR screen to Smith or a dump off pass in the flat.  He is a dynamic ball carrier and both faster and more elusive than Tebow.

4) I never said he was an NFL QB.  That said, taking some snaps his rookie season, when he had one of the worst OCs in the NFL and one of the worst QB Coaches in the NFL hardly constitutes any kind of chance to become a QB.  Even with an excellent QB coach, I don't think he would have made it as a starting QB, but think he possibly could have become a decent backup.  Even if not, he could have done a lot more in the wildcat if they had not been so predictable and called for more passes.

1. You're probably at least a little wrong.

2. He's not better than either of them.

3. Schotty got almost 8 yards a touch out of Brad Smith despite it taking almost 5 years for him to kinda sorta succeed at catching the ball. "A few others" is a whole lot of names. 

4. He took snaps at QB every season. They always talked about possibly having Smith throw out of the Wildcat and would practice it to keep the illusion up. He threw more passes  That is about as much of a chance as a guy in his position should get and he *very clearly* never became a serious candidate to try full time at QB. The Jets have not been a QB rich franchise. No one looking for a QB is going to completely ignore a guy with a hint of arm talent for 6 years, and in fact he made more passes out of the QB position *after* his rookie year. Coincidentally the years he threw the most passes (2 and 3) came in the same years teams had to at least feign respect the QB pass a little bit (2008 and 2010).

If I misunderstood your intent, I apologize. I don't know you, but your post is so similar to countless other posts I've seen over the last 13-15 years on Jets boards, that it might as well have been an exact quote.  That's why I responded as I did.  

In my initial reading of your post, nothing about your post suggested that you were simply commiserating, but were rather seeking to end the discussion as "stupid."  

In reading it again, I see that I may have been wrong.  I was not looking to start a war with you.

apology accepted. now can't we all get back to discussing how atrocious our team is? ;)

Archived