NFL exec predicts Garrard will start Week 1

Sperm Edwards

I don't think it would require magic.  He was winning the starting job in Miami less than a year ago with little difficulty & missed the season after having his knee scoped (which isn't even that serious of a procedure; it isn't clear why he didn't play after that).  2011 he missed the season due to a herniated disk (which is long since healed).   He's been medically cleared for both of those (unrelated) injuries.

His last year in the league - yes, in 2010 - he started 14 games and put up 2 TDs per game while completing 65% of his passes to the following receiving "weapons":  Mike Thomas, Mike Sims-Walker, Jason Hill, Marcedes Lewis (who has been a big nothing without Garrard), and Zach Miller (not that Zach Miller; the other one).  Prior to tearing a finger ligament in Freeney's facemask (ew, gross), he was 8-5 with that sorry group of receivers and a bottom-5 defense to go with it.  The following year, even with MJD's career-best season, losing Garrard as their starter cost Jacksonville a full TD per game.

We'll see soon enough, but David Garrard - all 6'1" and 244 lbs of him - after 2 years of no NFL starts is still a better QB than Sanchez until proven otherwise.  Maybe it's desire, maybe it's hope, or maybe it's wanting to reverse some losing arguments about him, but some Jets fans seriously are blind (to put it mildly) to just how incredibly bad of a QB Sanchez is.  He may never have been lights-out amazing (except when compared to our numbnuts signalcaller), but Garrard was a seriously underrated QB.  Take your pick of any season since Sanchez was drafted and his receivers were probably better than the best crew Garrard was ever given to work with in 5 years in Jacksonville.  That group of "winners" I mentioned above plus Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, Ernest Wilford, Troy Williamson, and a hobbling Torry Holt.  That's who their front office brought in.  Hell, Jeremy Kerley might be the best receiver he's ever gotten to work with.

Care to wager who wins the QB competition? If Sanchez doesn't win the starting job then your sig for the month of September has to be "I am embarrassed to admit I was one of those delusional fans who believed, year after year, that Mark Sanchez was a good QB who was made to look bad by coaches and other players, and I repeatedly and pointlessly argued with great Jets fans like over it.  I just wanted it so badly I wouldn't admit what everyone's eyes could plainly see. I beg forgiveness from all of you."  If he wins the starting job...you name it.

sums it up.  Garrard has been there, done that with sh!t for weapons.  2 years of rest and recovery is what I look at it as.  Dood has the fire and he is going to unleash it all over sanchez's headband.  That is until he gets hurt but I think the 2 years of rest will help him at least make it through camp.  Hopefully with Tanny gone Rex wont feel the need to have to start sanchez.  bring on training camp!

Confused...its says they believe Garrard is the "longer" shot.  Doesnt that mean he's less likely to win the job?

Also, has anyone else noticed that "NFL Exec's" all seem to have a ton of opinions on what the Jets do with their roster or draft or FA, etc?  Yet, you never hear these "NFL Exec's" chiming in about any other team.

how do we know these statement makers even exist?  The unnamed source could well be the non existent source.  The opinion of the dumbass beat person.

Archived