TE dept. ~ ~ ~

kelly

Success in 2013: Jeff Cumberland and the Tight End Position Edition

Going into 2013, the Jets did not resign

perennial breakout-star-in-the-making Dustin Keller. Instead the Jets
will roll with the trio of Cumberland, Reuland, and Hayden Smith. None
of them have ever played a 16 game season. If this offense is going to
do anything this year we need these TE's to step up.

Since 2008, the tight end responsibilities for the Jets have been manned

primarily by Dustin Keller.

While he never fully developed into anything more than average, he was a
constant on a lot of bad teams when he wasn't injured. Sadly him
staying healthy and being able to play didn't happen often enough.

Keller also had the honor of being
Sanchez's security blanket since 2009 when the Jets grabbed Sanchez in
the draft. Flash forward four years with Sanchez and he never developed
into a bigtime player and now finds himself on a one year deal with our
bitter enemy, the Miami Dolphins. So long Dustin Keller and all our hopes

of you developing into something more than well average....hello new guys.

(For the record, I'm not going to expect
anything out of the UDFA class besides being camp bodies. If I'm wrong
and one does step up... well that makes it a lot easier.)

Basically what we're left with is Jeff Cumberland,
proud owner of these stats: 19 games, just a hair under 400 yards, and 3
TD's with a long TD of 39 yards. That's not a year, that's his entire
Jets career: yikes. All three TD's did come last year so he has shown
some progress into a bigger role, but still that's a leap of faith. Much
like Keller, he also has an injury history: a blown achilles in 2010
ended a promising season and has never made it a full 16 game season. If
he is going to be the guy, he's got a lot of work ahead of him to fill
in Keller's shoes.

So we're left Cumberland as the guy with
the most NFL experience.. If that's not bad enough... well here are the
other two guys stats who will be vying for the starting/backup role:
Reuland: 11 yards 0 TD's; Smith: 16 yards and 0TD's. Needless to say,
both barely saw the field much last year, and when they did, didn't make
a big impact. Basically we're looking at three very big question marks
going into next year with two out of three probably playing a good sized
role in the offense.

With the WCO coming into town, TE play
will be important. The starter will have to keep the QB upright but also
catch a pass as an tertiary option. So that means one of them needs to
step up and not only be somewhat better than they were last year, but
somehow turn themselves into an average NFL starter right away. The Jets
no longer have Dustin Keller as Sanchez's security blanket who can make
a catch in the middle of the field. This means whoever does step up
must, at the minimum, start 16 games and be able to be a reliable target
for whatever QB the Jets start. The TE isn't a integral part of the WCO
but will still be needed to provide protection and run solid routes.
This allows a multitude of options for formations and plays when you can
have solid TE play.

Another problem is the Jets must also
have a good backup in case the starter goes down. (Despite Cumby coming
close last year, he has yet to play an entire 16 game schedule, ditto
for everyone else). So not only do the Jets need one person to be a
number one, they need someone to be basically a 1B. This is a lot to ask
from the current crew, who are all ideally suited to be a backup or
spot starter IMO. Needless to say, that means we need one to step up
huge and another to step up.

Looking at this current crew, Reuland
and Smith seem to be going after the backup role. Smith, the former
rugby guy, probably still has a lot of work to do just to make it onto
the Roster. Reuland seems to be the favorite for a backup role, just
because this is his sport he's most familiar with. Cumberland probably
gets the starting role.

Frankly if Cumberland doesn't have a
productive year, I personally believe he will be replaced by next year. I
think Smith and Reuland have a little more wiggle room only because
they are developmental players. Despite Cumberland having some
potential, we've been down this road before with Keller. If you have
potential it's time you realize it and start becoming a big part of the
offense.

Looking at this position it's obviously a
very big question mark on a team full of them. For the Jets to have
success, one TE must turn himself into a constant reliable target that
plays 16 games. Another must also become good enough to start in a pinch
and be a good blocker in the backup role. If this doesn't happen, it
severally limits the types of plays the Jets can run and formations
available. Plus our already thin skill possession players will be forced
to carry more of the offensive load. That doesn't exactly sound like a
recipe for success. If this offense is to have any success, the TE
position is one that needs just about everyone to step up who plays the
position.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/5/8/4310494/success-in-2013-jeff-cumberland-and-the-tight-end-position-edition

Am I the only Reuland fan? I thought he stood out more often than expected last year. I wish I had specific examples rather than vague memories.

I like Reuland as the "not so bad" guy.  IMO he is the worst case low-mid level TE.  This article incorrectly lists him as having "11 yards"  It made me look him up, he had 11 receptions, not 11 yards.  He also played in 15 games and caught passes in 8, so it's not like he didn't see the field (another claim of this article) or that durability is a question.  Smith did have only 16 yards, but I'm not sure why they would claim Smith has a lot of work to do just to make it on the roster.  The guy was on the roster all last year.  It's unlikely that he will take a step back. It's a stretch to expect much out of these guys, but the cupboard is not completely bare.

Am I the only one that couldnt care less about TE and feels Cumberland and whoever else is fine?

Keller was Sanchez's "security blanket".   Security from what?  Being the worst starting QB of all time not just the worst in the league?  

And looking at Celek's career.  He had one season with Eagles when he caught 76 passes (which was his coming out party).  Since then its been, 42, 62, 57.  So while he was clearly involved in the offense, its not like he's ever put up big time numbers that is just impossible for Cumberland to match.  He had 30 grabs last season as an after thought in the offense, he could easily add 20 more, IMHO.

Am I the only one that couldnt care less about TE and feels Cumberland and whoever else is fine?

I don't know if you are the only one but the Jets TE/WR situation has to be the worst in all of football. It's fine as long as you don't compare them to any other NFL team. 

Keller was Sanchez's "security blanket".   Security from what?  Being the worst starting QB of all time not just the worst in the league?  

And looking at Celek's career.  He had one season with Eagles when he caught 76 passes (which was his coming out party).  Since then its been, 42, 62, 57.  So while he was clearly involved in the offense, its not like he's ever put up big time numbers that is just impossible for Cumberland to match.  He had 30 grabs last season as an after thought in the offense, he could easily add 20 more, IMHO.

Traditionally, the TE position hasn't been that important, but it has grown a lot in importance over the last 3-5 years.  Look at what Gronkowski and Hernandez do for NE.  Look at Tony Gonzalez and what he's done.  Look at Vernon Davis on the NIners.  They can be a huge part of a team's offense keeping the chains moving, creating mismatches and scoring points.  The Jets DEFINITELY need to upgrade the TE position to help whomever their starting QB will be.

That said, with this basically being a rebuilding year, I was fine with their not addressing the position in this year's draft.  I'll be fine with their going with the youngsters this season, or if they can bring in a Celek or other veteran FA cheaply as a "hold the fort" type for a season or two, that's fine too.  I do hope that they will significantly address the position within the next season or two.

I don't know if you are the only one but the Jets TE/WR situation has to be the worst in all of football. It's fine as long as you don't compare them to any other NFL team. 

Possibly.  But so is the QB situation so its hard to compare.  For example, you've been talking up Seattle's weaponz, as if they actually have any. I'd venture to say you'd make the same comment if we switched TE/WR's with Seattle. 

Traditionally, the TE position hasn't been that important, but it has grown a lot in importance over the last 3-5 years.  Look at what Gronkowski and Hernandez do for NE.  Look at Tony Gonzalez and what he's done.  Look at Vernon Davis on the NIners.  They can be a huge part of a team's offense keeping the chains moving, creating mismatches and scoring points.  The Jets DEFINITELY need to upgrade the TE position to help whomever their starting QB will be.

That said, with this basically being a rebuilding year, I was fine with their not addressing the position in this year's draft.  I'll be fine with their going with the youngsters this season, or if they can bring in a Celek or other veteran FA cheaply as a "hold the fort" type for a season or two, that's fine too.  I do hope that they will significantly address the position within the next season or two.

I'm well aware of the importance of a pass catching TE threat in today's NFL.  I really was hoping the Jets targeted Ertz in the 2nd or Kelce in the 3rd.  We all want a stud TE...but I just dont see it making a huge difference this season and feel Cumberland could easily produce a 50+ catch season.

Possibly.  But so is the QB situation so its hard to compare.  For example, you've been talking up Seattle's weaponz, as if they actually have any. I'd venture to say you'd make the same comment if we switched TE/WR's with Seattle. 

I'm well aware of the importance of a pass catching TE threat in today's NFL.  I really was hoping the Jets targeted Ertz in the 2nd or Kelce in the 3rd.  We all want a stud TE...but I just dont see it making a huge difference this season and feel Cumberland could easily produce a 50+ catch season.

Ok, I thought you were saying that you didn't think the TE position needed to be addressed at all.  Yeah, I would have been very happy with Kelce in the 3rd or Ertz in the 2nd if Smith was gone.  I agree that Cumberland (if he can stay healthy and has someone like Garrard or Smith to throw the ball to him) could have a 50 catch season.

Celek gets hurt a lot, I think it effects his stat line.

Plus, in the years when the went from McNabb to Vick, the OL was pretty bad at first and Celek stayed in to block constantly. I drafted him in fantasy that year, I just remember hating  the Eagles for not addressing their OL.

Archived